Pogba gets a red card — Fernandes a penalty

Sad Chris

Two and a half years ago Pogba was sent off for a similar challenge to what Fernandes was awarded a penalty for today.

Both of our players played the ball, both opposing players slid in/layed down, both times the opponents were stomped onto.

The Pogba red card was heavily debated here: Pogba red card thread
The majority voted that it was unintentional but still a red card. Would the same posters give Fernandes a red card today?

Compare and contrast.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think Pogba was more of a stamp then Bruno's, why his was a red and Bruno probably a yellow.

TrustInOle

Different scenarios. Pogba plants his foot down on Bellerin's stationary leg, Bruno had his foot on the ball, turned it, and as he plants his foot back down the defender goes under his foot.

meamth

I completely disagree with all the pundits saying that wasn't a penalty.

Did the defender got the ball? No.
Did Fernandes beat the man? Yes.
Did the defender landed his feet first on the attacker's footing? Yes.
Did the attacker fell to the ground because of that misstep? Yes.
Did the misstep disrupts the attacking play? Yes.

Fecking yes, it's a penalty.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Completely different. Pogba mis-timed a 50/50. Bruno did a roulette and got bumped from behind and he landed backwards on the Villa player. Not saying it was a pen really, but also wasn't a foul against him either. Bruno tricked him with the spin and that caused the collision.

Deery

Dreary

Softest penalty I’ve ever seen..

Fecking yes it was.

Rish Sawhney

Ole said it best. If you're avoiding a challenge and you land on the defender's legs its still a foul. Looking it in slow motion makes it look like Bruno stepped on the defender and that the defender didn't make a challenge but in full speed he clearly did and even went through Bruno to get the ball.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Not remotely alike in my opinion.
Pogba one was a red card. I'm not entirely sure about Fernandes, but it certainly isn't the same situation.

Cliche Guevara

Did Fernandes beat the man? No.

Did the defender ‘landed’ his feet first on the attackers footing? No.

What were you watching? Fernades stood on the ball, did a pirouette then stomped on the defender’s shin.

As for the OP what a ridiculous comparison.

edcunited1878

It's a clear penalty. The ball was there to be won and Bruno won it first and the defender's lunge caught him out of position because he didn't get any of the ball...now he's underneath Bruno who made a play on the ball and his on ball action was stopped by the Villa player because he didn't win the ball and he was caught in a compromised situation that caused Bruno to not continue playing his on ball skill. That's a 50/50 ball and that's the consequence of losing out.

Deery

Dreary
For guys saying it’s a clear penalty just give your heads a wobble

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It was nothing alike

They are totally different. Really can’t see the comparison OP is making.

Pogba as red wasn’t really controversial

but today’s penalty was a joke,. Bruno threw himself into a static player and it looked outside the box too. I also dont understand how VAR still allowed it.

el3mel

If this is the red he got against Arsenal, it was definitely a deserved. Unintentional yes but he stomped on his leg, even by accident, it's still a red.

Today it should have been a foul and booking for Bruno too to be fair.

However I don't care really. I'll take it.

meamth

What were you watching? Fernades stood on the ball, did a pirouette then stomped on the defender’s shin.

Uhhh yes Bruno did beat him, that's why he was tricked to land there first. He was beaten, Bruno was smart.

You can see him dragging the ball away from the tackle, see the replay. Bruno knew, he can win a foul in that situation.

It's part of the game.

Rish Sawhney

Fernandes absolutely beat the man. They were both going for the ball, Fernandes got there first and spun over the ball to get himself between the ball and defender.

The defender made a challenge and Fernandes landed on his foot. Thats still a foul. Like when someone slide tackles you and you try to jump but land on them.

But yeah the comparison is ridiculous.

Cliche Guevara

Uhhh yes Bruno did beat him, that's why he was tricked to land there first. He was beaten, Bruno was smart.

You can see him dragging the ball away from the tackle, see the replay. Bruno knew, he can win a foul in that situation.

It's part of the game.
Why are you saying he beat the man? What do you mean by that?

He stood on the ball before the man even got there. When the man arrived he then stomped on his shin.

You haven’t beaten a player if he’s so far away he’s not involved yet.

Rish Sawhney

He stood on the ball before the man even got there. When the man arrived he then stomped on his shin.

Because they were both going for the ball and bruno got there first. The slow motion makes it look like the defender pulled out and didn't make a challenge but he was fully lunging into Bruno. If Bruno hadn't landed on his shin he would have gone through Bruno's leg.

MikeeMike

It's a foul, regardless of the stomp.

See the ball move away from that tackling attempt.

What wobble mate?
“It’s a foul , regardless of the stomp”. Amazing. So stomp does not count even though it was first contact?

meamth

Out smarted by a move. That's beaten.

What is your understanding of beaten? Rabona flick and go past the guy? That's not the only way you can beat defenders in football.

Cliche Guevara

Because they were both going for the ball and bruno got there first. The slow motion makes it look like the defender pulled out and didn't make a challenge but he was fully lunging into Bruno. If Bruno hadn't landed on his shin he would have gone through Bruno's leg.
That’s not beating his man. He spins in the ball, it rolls away and Bruno falls on his arse.

The defender actually pulls out of the challenge because he doesn’t want to commit a foul.

Cliche Guevara

Out smarted by a move. That's beaten.

What is your understanding of beaten? Rabona flick and go past the guy? That's not the only way you can beat defenders in football.
Actually retaining possession of the ball, and the other player actually challenging for the ball would be my two main criteria.

Rish Sawhney

That’s not beating his man. He spins in the ball, it rolls away and Bruno falls on his arse.

The defender actually pulls out of the challenge because he doesn’t want to commit a foul.
No Bruno falls on his arse because he's hit by the defender's challenge. If he'd pulled out his leg wouldn't have been there. The ball was there but Bruno dragged it back you see. And now he landed there, but unfortunately for the defender he's already put his leg there. Hence the foul. Look we probably won't agree on this, but I think this is an absolute stonewall penalty and I'd be saying this even if it was our defender against someone else.

meamth

Actually retaining possession of the ball, and the other player actually challenging for the ball would be my two main criteria.
Did bruno lost the ball though?

You can see the Replay, Bruno knew the challenge was coming and he can win a foul.

The dude a smart fecker, unlucky challenge, but thats what it is.

el3mel

No Bruno falls on his arse because he's hit by the defender's challenge. If he'd pulled out his leg wouldn't have been there. The ball was there but Bruno dragged it back you see. And now he landed there, but unfortunately for the defender he's already put his leg there. Hence the foul. Look we probably won't agree on this, but I think this is an absolute stonewall penalty and I'd be saying this even if it was our defender against someone else.
It's not a pen. I'm not sure what you're arguing tbh. Just because it's for us it doesn't mean we're going to force it to be a right call. Just take it and move on to the next game.

Rish Sawhney

It's not a pen. I'm not sure what you're arguing tbh. Just because it's for us it doesn't mean we're going to force it to be a right call. Just take it and move on to the next game.
I'm arguing it is a pen. Just because you say it doesn't make it true. And I'd absolutely be saying it even if it was against us. Just take it and move on to the next game.

mu4c_20le

Did you watch the game? It was a pen

meamth

I'm arguing it is a pen. Just because you say it doesn't make it true. And I'd absolutely be saying it even if it was against us. Just take it and move on to the next game.
Don't waste time arguing with him. The reason he can't see the arguments is because he ignore list anyone who disagreed with him.