Pogba: In a two or a three?

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
I'm coming to the conclusion Pogba makes the hard bits look ridiculously easy and the easy bits ridiculously hard................. note for Paul when you beaten three men, don't try to go for a fourth (unless its the goalkeeper) just pass the ball...PLEASE! Otherwise all for nothing!

Inebriated bison

One game doesn't wipe history.
I could understand why you wouldn't trust Pogba, because he will just vacate his position at times, but I think Matic can be trusted in a 2 man midfield. He did it well enough at Chelsea last season.

I would trust pogba and Matic in a 2 man midfield at home against anyone outside the top 6/7. Against the better teams and in most games away from home I would prefer to see them in a 3 man midfield with Herrera. But against the weaker teams at home we have to trust them to play in a 2 man midfield so we can have an extra creative player ahead of them in my opinion.

reddevil702

This past game has shown just how much Pogba has improved. His defensive awareness and tackling is tremendous. At this point I think he will be fine in either formation.

EyeInTheSky

I think he's best playing wherever he feels the need to be. He should be allowed to Rome both deep and should the need to be more advanced then so be it. It's why he's in the team and such a talent. His creativity, drive an vision should not be too regimented by compartmentalisation.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
but I think Matic can be trusted in a 2 man midfield. He did it well enough at Chelsea last season.
Matić's history is full of success in a midfield two, so unless Pogba is severely handicapped for one of the best midfielders in the world…
Take a look over at Chelsea forums or tag any resident Chelsea fan here. He has his highs and lows in a 2 man midfield. Was inconsistent over the course of a season.

But in a 3 man midfield, he'll be perfect. With Herrera offering a lot, it actually frees up Pogba to concentrate on attacking from deep fully. I think Pogba plus the creativity of two or Martial/Mata/Mkhi/Lingard should be sufficient routes to support Lukaku.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Take a look over at Chelsea forums or tag any resident Chelsea fan here. He has his highs and lows in a 2 man midfield. Was inconsistent over the course of a season.

But in a 3 man midfield, he'll be perfect. With Herrera offering a lot, it actually frees up Pogba to concentrate on attacking from deep fully. I think Pogba plus the creativity of two or Martial/Mata/Mkhi/Lingard should be sufficient routes to support Lukaku.
He excelled at Benfica and Chelsea, winning titles, by the way, playing in a two men midfield, but his inconsistency what? Of course, he is an irregular player, but that's much more to do with motivation than number of midfielders.

Fraud

Yeah, I think the same.

It's not about irregularity, it's more about the circustances. I mean, Matic played great when Jose won the PL. But more than once he got exposed in fast transitions.

The thing is: His way of play has evolved in order to suit what the context asked. When he played for Benfica, he had much more freedom and he tried to make the difference whit the ball in his feet. I mean, he has really good 1vs1. But when Mourinho signed him when he was in Chelsea, he asked other things because his team didn't need another midfielder like Ramires. He wanted someone to play as a holding midfielder. Like Cambiasso or Alonso.

Well, the guy played really well in a 4-2-3-1 with Luiz, but it didn't look too good with Fabregas and Ramires. Why? Because of his true nature as a box to box. He's everywhere and that's not necesarilly good. Because when he leaves his postion, he also creates a hole. And Fabregas and Ramires are not gonna help you because they are the ones who supossedly had the freedom to leave their positions. Then the team is completely exposed if Matic lose or doesn't recover the ball when he's not in the middle.

It will happen the same here. Pogba is our most talented player and he is everywhere, too.

Connolly

Pogba is very much an enigma - like many young, talented players. He's at an age where he should be knocking on the door of discovering his true playing style and in truth, I think he is.

What do we know about Pogba? He's flamboyant & charismatic. Regularly portrayed, in not only his hairstyle/dress - sense, but in now he carries himself on the pitch. He's like a split personality of a football player. His mirrors attributes of many players - Vieira in how he carries the ball and similarities with the long, lanky running. Also in his power and ability to use his strength. When you move past this, he has a vision for a pass that few in the modern game can claim - his trademark being the scooped 'over the top pass' which regularly works.

Where I feel he is weakest is that of defensive positioning. This has been highlighted in many scenarios. It's for this very reason that I'd nearly abstain from positioning him further back the pitch. As has been said above, against the 'lesser teams', he's more than capable of playing as part of a midfield 2. When it comes to opposition, driven by passing and ball retention, Mourinho will almost certainly adapt to a 3 in the midfield. When this occurs, Pogba will not be tasked with the defensive aspect of the midfield 3.

In my opinion, I don't think Pogba even knows where he is best suited yet. Before we can actually pinpoint his strongest position on the field, I think he needs to understand the type of player he wants to be. I genuinely believe that he wants to mirror many players and while he's doing that, this is where the frustrating aspect of his game arises - in being, he tries to do too much and often over plays simple scenarios. Ultimately, it's up to Mourinho to establish this and assist him with development. The next 12 months are crucial.

Jib

I think he's best playing wherever he feels the need to be. He should be allowed to Rome both deep and should the need to be more advanced then so be it. It's why he's in the team and such a talent. His creativity, drive an vision should not be too regimented by compartmentalisation.

This

Bestietom

Against the big teams away, then a 3 with Matic, Herrera, and Pogba. Herrera can play box to box better than Fellaini. He is quicker getting back and can pass the ball a lot better.

Crashoutcassius

I really don't want Herrera to be a rotation option :( Want him to be club captain. My fave player. That said, Matic and Pogba were brilliant. Just hoping there is a 4-3-3 out there somewhere for us