Pogba is by far the biggest star in the League

SaintMuppet

Of course he is more famous than players 10, 20, 30, 50 feckin years ago.

That’s down to the accelerating social media age where any dick cheddar with a camera phone can be a ‘star’ for 30 seconds.

Given an even social media playing field Cantona would destroy him, let’s not get started with Best and Beckham who would take a dump on him from outer space in terms of popularity.

Pogba has done well for himself but let’s not start wetting the bed over him. He is a star in a world where the baseline of star is a nobody.

In a few years he will be forgotten whilst decades on people will still be getting ‘Cantona’s for xmas’ and going on the ‘piss with Georgie Best’

Maybe they will still wave a few hankies in pogs honor over at Madrid.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
How can some even compare the “star status” of Pogba to Best/Cantona? Completely different periods without the influence of social media makes the comparison basically impossible.

The sooner we focus on being the best at football, and not social media likes/followers, the better.

Fridge chutney

How can some even compare the “star status” of Pogba to Best/Cantona? Completely different periods without the influence of social media makes the comparison basically impossible.

The sooner we focus on being the best at football, and not social media likes/followers, the better.
Good post. And at the end of the day, Georgie Best was the better footballer so it doesn't matter who is a bigger star in Malaysia currently.

Mr angry

Supports
Bury
Good riddance in my opinion. Massively overrated and hugely inconsistent. Plays when he wants and a distraction as well as a disruptive influence. Puts me in mind of Balotelli or Kinkladze when he was at City

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Good post. And at the end of the day, Georgie Best was the better footballer so it doesn't matter who is a bigger star in Malaysia currently.
I’m not even someone who’s really critical of Pogba tbf. I’m sort of....indifferent towards him atm. Was a fan and wanted us to sign him and I still see the talent and would like him to stay but I can also see why some question his attitude/commitment etc.

Anyway, enough about star status and global appeal. We need to get back to achieving on the field.

Fridge chutney

I’m not even someone who’s really critical of Pogba tbf. I’m sort of....indifferent towards him atm. Was a fan and wanted us to sign him and I still see the talent and would like him to stay but I can also see why some question his attitude/commitment etc.

Anyway, enough about star status and global appeal. We need to get back to achieving on the field.
Absolutely. I'm in the same boat. I like him and hope he stays, but I won't be devastated if he leaves. Let's focus on football fundamentals regardless of what happens.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Absolutely. I'm in the same boat. I like him and hope he stays, but I won't be devastated if he leaves. Let's focus on football fundamentals regardless of what happens.
Yeah, if he wants out, sell him at the best price for us. Keep him if he is committed. I have no doubt we can build a better unit without him anyway.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Given an even social media playing field Cantona would destroy him, let’s not get started with Best and Beckham who would take a dump on him from outer space in terms of popularity.
Considering the laws of physics, I’d be extremely impressed if they could pull that off.

superdry

touched by a genius
I'm afraid his bad points by far outway his good points, so I'll quote WC Fields and say if we wanted to play with a prick, we could play with our own. He'll never give us what we need, so get rid, let him "star" for someone else.

Wheato

I don't care how famous he is, If we ship him out for ££££££££££ and get Bruno and Ndombele with the cash, then I will as happy as a pig in poo.

Last edited:

Wilt

Let him ask for a transfer, we’ve bent over enough for this guy.

jesperjaap

Spot on, as a footballer he hasnt and never should be mentioned in the same breath as either of them. As a star in this day and age, incomparable but he is of course a huge star and there in lies the enigma of Pogba a talented footballer who is no more than a good player with flashes of brilliance at any sustained period in his career. I cant imagine anybody will be talking about him in twenty years time, put it that way

Mr angry

Supports
Bury
For the first 3 months of last season he was rubbish, and for the last 3 months of it he was also rubbish. He had a brief spell when Ole took over when he was ok, although there were several winnable games in that period. For a supposedly world class player he makes very little impact a lot of the time

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

What this guy said

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Laughing at the Pogba and Best comparison. Will Pogba get a statue anywhere at the end of his career? I highly doubt it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
At least when Rooney, Beckham, Ronaldo etc. we're causing a fuss they were actually very good and important players.

Pogba's a luxury player in a 6th place side who appeals to the YouTube generation. Jay Jay Okocha except less entertaining. If he goes maybe we can sign a footballer instead of a showboating child.
:lol: Harsh but fair.

Saffron

Laughing at the Pogba and Best comparison. Will Pogba get a statue anywhere at the end of his career? I highly doubt it.
Considering how the Best statue turned out, he might count himself lucky.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This is actually an interesting point. Who’s Pogba’s biggest rival here?

I actually think that Salah runs him very close, when you consider the Arab population. Liverpool also have the second biggest fanbase in the Prem.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Spot on, as a footballer he hasnt and never should be mentioned in the same breath as either of them. As a star in this day and age, incomparable but he is of course a huge star and there in lies the enigma of Pogba a talented footballer who is no more than a good player with flashes of brilliance at any sustained period in his career. I cant imagine anybody will be talking about him in twenty years time, put it that way
Yeah I don’t think he’s got the ability to carry a team or for a team to be built around him tbf. I think if he’s one of a few stars, he can shine but as you said, to try and make him the bona fide star - he’s just too inconsistent IMO

SeasickSykes

No more so (and in fact quite a bit less) than Best, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo etc. It's not the player, it's the club.
At least these actual club legends put a shift in and were dedicated to the cause.... Pogba has been good in spells, but really doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as that lot.

He's a modern day star, the football equivalent of what the NBA has become.
We need to stear absolutely clear of these types of players in the future.

Mr angry

Supports
Bury
What the previous post said is spot on. Pogba is, I'm afraid, one of those things I just don't get. I can't understand the hype that surrounds him, in the overall story of United he is a footnote, he wouldn't get into a top 100 list of great players. He's OK in fits and starts, no more and downs tools when it gets tough
Get rid of the narcissistic clown asap and then he will be consigned to history

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not the best player though

GiddyUp

If the Best was around today a grainy photo of him doing Jagerbombs with Ariana Grande would get a billion more likes and clicks than Pogba dancing with a full Broadway production team behind him in his basement disco. Stop being silly kids.
We really shouldn't have re signed him. Because all we paid for was the immaturity and moodiness that made Ferguson not give a shit if he stayed or went.
Not worth the effort it will take the club and coaches to keep this manchild happy. Coming back to his teenage stompin ground and his pals meant everything, doing what's right for the club on and off the field means nothing.

GiddyUp

This is actually an interesting point. Who’s Pogba’s biggest rival here?

I actually think that Salah runs him very close, when you consider the Arab population. Liverpool also have the second biggest fanbase in the Prem.
Harry Kane has it in him. If he was at United and performing even his dullness wouldn't dim the global spotlight shining on him.