Pogba suspended for alleged anti-doping offence | Banned for 4 years

NoLogo

Seriously though, what am I missing
When we bought Pogba I felt like we finally got a world class midfielder, the like we didn't have since Scholes retired. By all accounts the player we had seen for Juve and the French national team was exactly that. Great physical presence, could play multiple roles in midfield, great technique and a capable of scoring some great long shot goals.

What we got for 100M though was a player that looked too slow for the league, spent more time on the ground complaining to the referee than actually playing football. On top of that he often looked like he couldn't be bothered or was even remotely giving his best for the club. Of course he also got injured a lot, which didn't help but the longer he was at the club the worse all of it seemed to get.

So in the end for me it's the fact that he was such a huge disappointment and at no time looked like it actually bothered him or that he put in an effort to change anything.

Hammondo

When we bought Pogba I felt like we finally got a world class midfielder, the like we didn't have since Scholes retired. By all accounts the player we had seen for Juve and the French national team was exactly that. Great physical presence, could play multiple roles in midfield, great technique and a capable of scoring some great long shot goals.

What we got for 100M though was a player that looked too slow for the league, spent more time on the ground complaining to the referee than actually playing football. On top of that he often looked like he couldn't be bothered or was even remotely giving his best for the club. Of course he also got injured a lot, which didn't help but the longer he was at the club the worse all of it seemed to get.

So in the end for me it's the fact that he was such a huge disappointment and at no time looked like it actually bothered him or that he put in an effort to change anything.
What he did for France and Juve are massively exaggerated. Great physical presence? That one is new.

sepulturite

Pogba has only played 12 games since leaving Man United.
Oh that makes more sense, the way I was reading it I thought he was saying that pogba played for United 12 games ago, as in the end of last season :lol:

Woodzy

The ironic thing is that doping still wouldn’t have stopped him losing the ball just outside his own penalty area for doing something moronic

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
In fairness to him why would you dope now in your 30s.
His 30's would be the most sensible time to as his body wouldn't be able to perform like it could in his 20's. There are plenty of reasons why he'd look to elevate his testosterone. The first is recovery, the second is simply increased strength which would help him on the pitch, improved bone density and ligament strength which would be helpful to avoid injuries, and also improved blood flow which correlates directly to athletic performance as well as reducing inflammation. The view that they're just for building muscle is a little short sighted and that wouldn't happen even if he was taking steroids unless he was also training and eating with that goal in mind.

Also maybe he just can't get his dick up any more and is giving himself a boost, who knows.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
His 30's would be the most sensible time to as his body wouldn't be able to perform like it could in his 20's. There are plenty of reasons why he'd look to elevate his testosterone. The first is recovery, the second is simply increased strength which would help him on the pitch, improved bone density and ligament strength which would be helpful to avoid injuries, and also improved blood flow which correlates directly to athletic performance as well as reducing inflammation. The view that they're just for building muscle is a little short sighted and that wouldn't happen even if he was taking steroids unless he was also training and eating with that goal in mind.

Also maybe he just can't get his dick up any more and is giving himself a boost, who knows.
Off-topic, but for those reasons, players with long injuries should be allowed to use PED in their recovery as long as it's approved by the anti-doping organization and supervised.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Totally speculative.

Maybe juventus had enough of him and wanted him out. Got someone to spike his drink and then called for a test to be conducted on him. Now they can cancel his contract without having to pay him.
Honestly would not surprise me.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s such a pro he’s even testing stuff that wasn’t in his house at the time of the offence.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Oh I assumed they meant the cream between Oreos.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

For me, the biggest issue with Pogba was, and forever shall be, his inability or unwillingness to do the simple things well and quickly. He was very creative, and he was a good passer for us. He created a lot of chances. But the midfield was dysfunctional with him in it because of the apparent inability to just do simple things like move possession on quickly, recycle the ball effectively, make a simple 5-10 yard pass. He’d always, always, hog it and sit on it, slowing everything down, letting the other team regroup their shape, or he’d lose it because he’d get pressed by two players and not release it soon enough.

So ridiculous when you think about it. Most players can do the simple things well enough but struggle to stand above the rest because they don’t have that X factor. Pogba had the X factor down but couldn’t do the basics. He was always looking to do something extra, and it killed the flow of our game. Watch someone like Modric. He can do the absurd, almost at will, but every single game he excited the simple basics of the game to a flawless standard.

el3mel

I don't think he intended to dope, someone must have told him these drugs will be fasten his recovery from injuries and since he's getting desperate he gave it a shot.

He's an idiot. He was bound on ruining his career one day.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
For me, the biggest issue with Pogba was, and forever shall be, his inability or unwillingness to do the simple things well and quickly. He was very creative, and he was a good passer for us. He created a lot of chances. But the midfield was dysfunctional with him in it because of the apparent inability to just do simple things like move possession on quickly, recycle the ball effectively, make a simple 5-10 yard pass. He’d always, always, hog it and sit on it, slowing everything down, letting the other team regroup their shape, or he’d lose it because he’d get pressed by two players and not release it soon enough.

So ridiculous when you think about it. Most players can do the simple things well enough but struggle to stand above the rest because they don’t have that X factor. Pogba had the X factor down but couldn’t do the basics. He was always looking to do something extra, and it killed the flow of our game. Watch someone like Modric. He can do the absurd, almost at will, but every single game he excited the simple basics of the game to a flawless standard.
To be fair, I'd hardly say the midfield was dysfunctional because of his inabilities. Obviously they were part of it, but there were numerous reasons why our midfield has been dysfunctional. Our entire midfield balance has been unbelievably shit for a decade, with the brief period of Matic-Herrera-Pogba being the only time we've ever put out a combo with players who complimented each other and basically filled every role. Unsurprisingly that was also by far our most successful combo since Fergie, but they only played together about 20 times before Ole decided to change the set-up and play Pogba deeper again.

Every single midfielder we've had over the last decade has been inconsistent as hell, and I'd say our terrible midfield balance just makes it incredibly hard to actually be consistent. That's not to say the individual players shouldn't be criticised, but I do think they have all been set up to fail to some extent because of the incompetence of the management and/or team building. Obviously the same can be said throughout the entire team, but I do think the midfield is the most obvious.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
To be fair, I'd hardly say the midfield was dysfunctional because of his inabilities. Obviously they were part of it, but there were numerous reasons why our midfield has been dysfunctional. Our entire midfield balance has been unbelievably shit for a decade, with the brief period of Matic-Herrera-Pogba being the only time we've ever put out a combo with players who complimented each other and basically filled every role. Unsurprisingly that was also by far our most successful combo since Fergie, but they only played together about 20 times before Ole decided to change the set-up and play Pogba deeper again.

Every single midfielder we've had over the last decade has been inconsistent as hell, and I'd say our terrible midfield balance just makes it incredibly hard to actually be consistent. That's not to say the individual players shouldn't be criticised, but I do think they have all been set up to fail to some extent because of the incompetence of the management and/or team building. Obviously the same can be said throughout the entire team, but I do think the midfield is the most obvious.
We really should just buy 3 midfielders one summer with their roles being complimentary. We always have too many holes in the squad and every time we solve one problem another emerges

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Absolutely this. Was saying this for years. He kept wanting to show off his strength and ability to hold off two men, in reality he lost the ball and we'd concede.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I reckon Juve spiked him to give them an excuse to get rid of him for nothing.

He isn’t stupid enough to do this on purpose, but Juve are dodgy enough to do something like that. Luckily I’m not in charge of the justice system with reasoning like that, but it’s a hunch I have.

Zarlak

I don't think he intended to dope, someone must have told him these drugs will be fasten his recovery from injuries and since he's getting desperate he gave it a shot.

Highly doubtful, if someone hands you a needle then you know where it's going. If they gave him legit testosterone tablets then he'll also have to take things alongside it so he doesn't feck his liver up. All his stuff would be labelled very clearly with doses. Testosterone boosters you see don't work, they're total bullshit - it would have been the real deal stuff and he's no rookie, he's well aware of what substances are prohibited and the forms they take.

el3mel

Highly doubtful, if someone hands you a needle then you know where it's going. If they gave him legit testosterone tablets then he'll also have to take things alongside it so he doesn't feck his liver up. All his stuff would be labelled very clearly with doses. Testosterone boosters you see don't work, they're total bullshit - it would have been the real deal stuff and he's no rookie, he's well aware of what substances are prohibited and the forms they take.
Maybe they convinced him he won't get caught, and as I said he must be desperate to regain his form after long time out of pitch.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I reckon Juve spiked him to give them an excuse to get rid of him for nothing.

He isn’t stupid enough to do this on purpose, but Juve are dodgy enough to do something like that. Luckily I’m not in charge of the justice system with reasoning like that, but it’s a hunch I have.
If someone came out and said a player had their PED test spiked by a team to nullify their contract … the only way I’d buy it is if it was Juve or Barcelona … so it’s not a super crazy thought.

Zarlak

Maybe they convinced him he won't get caught, and as I said he must be desperate to regain his form after long time out of pitch.
Definitely a possibility, I was just taking issue with the part of your post that said he didn't intend to dope. He would have known exactly what it was and decided to go ahead with it.

Mercurial

If someone came out and said a player had their PED test spiked by a team to nullify their contract … the only way I’d buy it is if it was Juve or Barcelona … so it’s not a super crazy thought.
Juventus aren't nicknamed Ladri without reason over the years. Cheatmode club. Spiking it would be a stretch.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Yeah right, a pro footballer getting strange "medications" from a guy in the dark alley.... This one was intentional, and I'm sure there are many more footballers on some stuff but have not been caught yet

Brophs

The One and Only
The Pogba threads are always great value. “Been caught doping has he? The guy whose body has let him down the last few years and has had a lot of trouble in his personal life? Sounds like a fit up to me. Juve, most likely. Or the dark web.”