Pogba: "We Should Attack, Attack, Attack!"

Fracture90

Whether he was joking or not, the point is Woodward has previous for letting a failing manager drag on and on, until it is financially cheaper to sack them - see Moyes and LVG - failing to see the bigger picture, which is financial compensation packages to managers is peanuts compared to the gain you can make by bringing in a new manager asap, possibly getting a proper title challenge going and solidifying top 4 prospects. There is no way in hell, that this current squad for all the stick it is getting wouldn't get top 4 under a half-decent attacking manager. I'm not a huge Zidane fan (still feel he's a risk) but if he was available, he'd instantly turn things around and get us top 3 bare minimum - which would pay for itself.
Hey I agree with you and would also want to add that we really could use a DoF, but not a dummy one, we need a one with proper executive power when it comes to appointing managers and buying players.

Kostov

My bad he didn't cut his vacation short but he played from the first game, despite winning the WC. He showed his dedication to the club with that. Only other who did that was Fellaini, who didn't play every game for Belgium iirc and who only got 20 minutes against Leicester.

Maybe the winner inside him can't see himself winning anything meaningful with our current style and tactics and that's why he's saying this in public?

We were (still are BTW) a struggling team because we couldn't count on many of our players playing at the start of the season due to WC fatigue or injuries, that's why I said that.

They came back a week earlier but none of them has said "put me in, I'm ready" as Mourinho himself has stated when he said Pogba asked to be in starting 11. That's passion and dedication right there.

I believe we all have agreed that those international quotes have been intentionally falsely translated as proven when our French speaking contingent has debunked those quotes.

I do believe Raiola is a cnut and that Pogba should cut all ties with him, but Mourinho himself has come out and said nor Pogba nor Raiola hasn't put any transfer requests in.

Would be a shame if we sell Pogna without seeing what he can do in an actual attacking side under a different, hopefully attacking manager, imo.
The winner inside him should show more discipline with himself firstly and he should know that those things should be discussed in the dressing room or inside the club, not through the media. That's my thinking of course.

Yeah he wanted to play and he was very good, but a week later he questioned himself after a shocking performance didn't he?

The international quotes could have been easily avoided instead he still talked about his future giving the media something to fabricate on.

Pogba is a cnut but he works for Pogba, not the other way around. I would have loved for him to stay longterm, I even had him as a future captain, but the last couple of months, put me off, and honestly I wouldn't care if he left.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
People here have been saying what Pogab said for ages, now that Pogba has had enough and said it out load people are telling him to shut up? LOL
This happens all the time. People go mad at Scholes for saying the same as all have about Pogba or the way we play.

That said, there is a bit of an issue with airing the dirty laundry. It make me uncomfortable knowing there's unrest and going about it this way, but maybe it needs to be said.

imamuppet

I really like Pogba, he's the only one brave enough to try and play the way that comes naturally to him, and he's the only one brave enough to criticise the manager when it is obvious that he is restraining the players to rigid and unsuitable tactics. If we were to lose Pogba and keep Mourinho, it would be the biggest mistake that the club has made since he left the first time.
No issue with posting the positive stuff he does, but it definitely wont be the biggest mistake they have made as Pogba cant/wont do the basic things correctly.

I can bet every dime I have what Pogba has said is exactly what the entire team thinks.
Errrrmm, no

AlexUTD

Can't blame Pogba for wanting to play more attacking football.

I rather change out Mourinho for a more attack minded manager and keep our best players than losing them and keep Mourinho and get more Fellaini type players in.

We will have trouble getting the best attacking talents in the future with this type of football.

The Firestarter

Another Monday morning another bunch of headlines regarding Pogba and his big mouth .
Fast turning into an untenable situation he should shut the feck up and concentrate on his game .
Him and Sanchez were supposed to be the superstars that would turn us into title winners both have been truly awful
Not as awful as this post though. When you watch games do you turn your head back the moment Pogba gets the ball, because obviously you have not seen him play this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Its laughable how much of a mess we are as a club to be honest.
Also the excuses that were made for Jose last season in compression to City when it was clear as day the comparison shouldn't have been made between United and City but United and Liverpool.

There is no excuse this season if Liverpool do better, since they had a worse squad than United when Jose took over.

The trajectory and progression of the Liverpool team since Klopp took over is evident. First they worked on their playing style and then they went for players who fit that style.

They took a spanking against Spurs last season away, and they obviously went to the training ground and fixed some things, since then they have had the best defensive record in the league (yes way before they even signed VVD).

Thats enough to tell me that its not always about singing players, sometimes the manager has to just admit that their way isn't working and find a new way.

It took Klopp a few seasons but at least he saw it and fixed it.

Last edited:

Fracture90

The winner inside him should show more discipline with himself firstly and he should know that those things should be discussed in the dressing room or inside the club, not through the media. That's my thinking of course.

Yeah he wanted to play and he was very good, but a week later he questioned himself after a shocking performance didn't he?

The international quotes could have been easily avoided instead he still talked about his future giving the media something to fabricate on.

Pogba is a cnut but he works for Pogba, not the other way around. I would have loved for him to stay longterm, I even had him as a future captain, but the last couple of months, put me off, and honestly I wouldn't care if he left.
But how can we be sure he hasn't discussed this with Mourinho for the past 2+ years he's been here? Are we just assuming he hasn't because he's suddenly gone public with it after all this time, or can we also assume he's going public with it (following his manager's example) because for 2+ years he hasn't been able to reach out to his manager with this?

Again he questioned himself and he's taken responsibility, again shows dedication and maturity when you're able to identify your own mistakes.

He's our best and biggest star player, he will always be interviewed because he's the focal point of our marketing. Would you be happier if he said "no comments" when asked about Barca and Juventus?

And that still doesn't change the fact that there's nothing wrong with what he said during the international break, what's wrong is the fans jumping on whatever the press says, taking it to be the absolute truth despite constantly complaining how media has agenda against us…

UncleBob

Love the sound bites from Pogba but talk is easy as we know listening to punditry from failed ex-managers and players.

To attack the opposition with any consistency we need a solid defensive unit who can also play football to a certain standard. Our only creative sparks at present are Pogba and Shaw, who also has his defensive duties. I don't know the stats but watching the team it seems most of our goals this season will have involved those two players.

I understand Mourinho has always been a pragmatic manager and he has had a number of transfer windows to get the team right. The fact is he hasn't and now has to get results with what he has available. Although from a fans perspective it's not been a great watch but he did get 2nd place in both domestic competitions last season with this/his brand of football. I'm not sure how going all-out attack mode would reflect on results. Could go either way, but I can't personally imagine with this present squad we would be any better off results wise.

The board has very limited choices to decide which route to take. To say enough of this brand of football and sack Jose and give up on this season or stick with him because he is probably the best person to get any decent results from this present squad.
Imho, it's a bit absurd that the quality of the squad is downplayed. It's fine that we need a solid defensive structure, but we've also seen plenty of teams compensate defensive issues by focusing on attacking football.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The most damning part of his interview implies not that we don't attack, but we don't know how to.

To be fair I think Pogba,when re-joining us, was sold a project that clearly hasn't came to fruition and he's just showing his frustration.
Similarly I think Jose was also sold a particular dream,though Jose's was more short term based rather than long-term.Which is why Jose wants/wanted more experienced individuals brought in.He wanted success now,not 3 years down the line ,which in itself looks to be far more distant than that.

I still think Woodward deserves a fair amount of flack.
Plus with him in charge of the big incomings and outgoings I'll never feel confident he'll get it right.

The Purley King

I'd be willing to bet he's discussed this with Mourinho who has told him "I'm in charge you'll do it my way".
I don't care who does what in the media now I just want Jose out. Appears Pogba wants him gone as well and could probably add Martial and a few others to that list too. Every day Jose is still here is a day wasted.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
“I’m not the manager, I cannot, like, say that but … obviously we should show more option of playing but I cannot say that because I’m a player,”

Shots fired.

I don't see the benefit of saying these ambiguous things in the press. Who knows what exactly it means, but it's definitely fuel for the media fire.

Minimalist

Lol he’s 100% fed up with Mourinhos methods.

I have my minor issues with Pogba but on this, I’m right there with you Poggers.

To be fair I think Pogba,when re-joining us, was sold a project that clearly hasn't came to fruition and he's just showing his frustration.
Similarly I think Jose was also sold a particular dream,though Jose's was more short term based rather than long-term.Which is why Jose wants/wanted more experienced individuals brought in.He wanted success now,not 3 years down the line ,which in itself looks to be far more distant than that.

I still think Woodward deserves a fair amount of flack.
Plus with him in charge of the big incomings and outgoings I'll never feel confident he'll get it right.
It's true Jose sold him a dream but at the same time Woodward was probably selling Jose a dream

Louis Van Gonads

Indeed!

I'm not sure about Zidane, but if we wait till next summer and end up with Zidane and Zidane was who we wanted them I will be annoyed that we waited personally.
We will wait and miss out as usual.

What’s the odds on Pogba getting dropped after this?

Ban

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see anything particularly bad with those comments nor do I think it's aimed at Mourinho.

Danielt534

Easier said than done. We got a right back who has a phobia of crossing. No right winger. A left wing that was seemingly bursting with options except they've all gone to fecking shit. And finally, a cow up front.
A Cow upfront hahahaha! That tickled me lol.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
And before Van Gaal we had Moyes’ death by a thousand crosses. Feck it, even in Fergie’s last couple of seasons the warning signs were there (“zombie football” etc) I’m actually kind of struggling to work out why we’ve been so tumescent in attack for so long and Mourinho is 100% culpable for what we delive under his stewardship but this is a problem that we’ve had for fecking years.
It's been killing me too figuring out what's wrong with us, particularly because both under Van Gaal and Mourinho we've had phases and matches where we looked alright too. Another weird similarity between the two is the big matches, we had the mighty Liverpool 2-0 down at Old Trafford before half time not that long ago last season. How can a team able to play like that in such a big match look so clueless now?

One element that always pops up in my mind is the fact that we're the biggest club in England, every team is out for our scalp and plays with an intensity they don't have in other matches. I always bring up Ferguson alluding to this in a letter to Cantona once:

"I am sure you have been keeping an eye on our results and as you can see we are doing quite well as you know we have signed Teddy Sheringham to replace you but at the moment he is finding it difficult to find the space he got at Tottenham and is playing deep so we have some adjusting to do. Players sometimes don't realise how difficult it is to play at our level as every game is a Cup Final for our opponents so I just hope he can do it for us."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-left-manchester-united-i-kept-10513163.html

This is perfectly illustrated if you look at last year's league table, where we lost to WBA who were relegated, lost against Huddersfield, lost two points against Stoke and Southampton who finished in 17th and 19th place. And now against promoted Wolves who just had their biggest occasion in years against United at Old Trafford.

Dealing with teams who approach the match like it's the biggest match in their life is definitely a problem for us, and a lot of teams play that way when they face Manchester United. It takes a certain mentality to brush them off and we clearly don't have it. But this isn't 100% the explanation for our struggles either.

Maybe it's Mourinho and Van Gaal both being huge control freaks despite applying different ideologies that stiffles us. But then again there has been a serious lack of individual (attacking) talent in our squads too for years now. Saw Feyenoord against Utrecht yesterday where a 35 Robin van Persie lead the line in a way Lukaku could only dream off really.

Before RVP it was prime Rooney, before that Ronaldo, we've not had any attacking player who were on that level for at least 6 months since Ferguson retired.

UncleBob

It's true Jose sold him a dream but at the same time Woodward was probably selling Jose a dream
While it's easy to argue that Jose didn't get every player he wanted, he most defenitely got most of the players he wanted.

After signing Pogba, Bailly, Lindeløf, Dalot, Fred, Matic, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Mkhi and Sanchez, i'm not sure how much room there is to complain about not getting Perisic and a defender...

UncleBob

It's been killing me too figuring out what's wrong with us, particularly because both under Van Gaal and Mourinho we've had phases and matches where we looked alright too. Another weird similarity between the two is the big matches, we had the mighty Liverpool 2-0 down at Old Trafford before half time not that long ago last season. How can a team able to play like that in such a big match look so clueless now?

One element that always pops up in my mind is the fact that we're the biggest club in England, every team is out for our scalp and plays with an intensity they don't have in other matches. I always bring up Ferguson alluding to this in a letter to Cantona once:

"I am sure you have been keeping an eye on our results and as you can see we are doing quite well as you know we have signed Teddy Sheringham to replace you but at the moment he is finding it difficult to find the space he got at Tottenham and is playing deep so we have some adjusting to do. Players sometimes don't realise how difficult it is to play at our level as every game is a Cup Final for our opponents so I just hope he can do it for us."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-left-manchester-united-i-kept-10513163.html

This is perfectly illustrated if you look at last year's league table, where we lost to WBA who were relegated, lost against Huddersfield, lost two points against Stoke and Southampton who finished in 17th and 19th place. And now against promoted Wolves who just had their biggest occasion in years against United at Old Trafford.

Dealing with teams who approach the match like it's the biggest match in their life is definitely a problem for us, and a lot of teams play that way when they face Manchester United. It takes a certain mentality to brush them off and we clearly don't have it. But this isn't 100% the explanation for our struggles either.

Maybe it's Mourinho and Van Gaal both being huge control freaks despite applying different ideologies that stiffles us. But then again there has been a serious lack of individual (attacking) talent in our squads too for years now. Saw Feyenoord against Utrecht yesterday where a 35 lead the line in a way Lukaku could only dream off really. Before RVP it was prime Rooney, before that Ronaldo, we've not had any attacking player who were on that level for at least 6 months since Ferguson retired.
The notion that we're shit because everyone ups their game against us is absurd. Yes, it's pretty obvious that a lot of teams want to beat us, but the fundamental flaws in our attacking football can't be explained by other teams wanting to beat us.

While it's easy to argue that Jose didn't get every player he wanted, he most defenitely got most of the players he wanted.

After signing Pogba, Bailly, Lindeløf, Dalot, Fred, Matic, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Mkhi and Sanchez, i'm not sure how much room there is to complain about not getting Perisic and a defender...
I don't disagree with that but something has obviously gone pear shaped between Woodard and Jose. I think promises were made and broken.

UncleBob

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see anything particularly bad with those comments nor do I think it's aimed at Mourinho.
“Maybe the attitude should be better and we should play better because, again, we are at Old Trafford and we should just attack and press like we did against Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal last season. When we play like this it’s easier for us.”

What is stopping United from doing that? “I can’t tell you because I’m a player. It’s not me,” Pogba said.

Good luck with that view.

Danielt534

Our team is not set up to attack that's the problem. Mourinho has our team in a system that's compact and rigid hence why Madrid wanted him out. I seen us attack better when we had cleverly playing in CM and Welbeck in LM. We used to have such average players yet still played on the front foot in every match no matter who we played against. Now we have a manager that's scared of the opposition strengths instead of concentrating on our attacking strengths that when used to their full potential can dismantle any team. We have some very good players, who don't become shit overnight!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It goes back to this notion that the players aren't coached attacking routines, given Pogba, Lingard and Lukaku are all besties you would think the 3 of them could sort that kind of shit out together?

Fosu-Mens

Pogba officially saying; Mourinho or me.

Is it to much to hope for that Pogba would go after Woodward and the governance of this club next?. If he is able to force Woodward away from football related matters and change the governance of this club, then he can dab and do as much stupid things in the media as he like.

Ban

“Maybe the attitude should be better and we should play better because, again, we are at Old Trafford and we should just attack and press like we did against Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal last season. When we play like this it’s easier for us.”

What is stopping United from doing that? “I can’t tell you because I’m a player. It’s not me,” Pogba said.

Good luck with that view.
Thanks.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
The notion that we're shit because everyone ups their game against us is absurd. Yes, it's pretty obvious that a lot of teams want to beat us, but the fundamental flaws in our attacking football can't be explained by other teams wanting to beat us.
It's undeniably been going on for at least four years though, how do you explain that then? Where were those fundamental flaws in attack against the big sides we beat?

We clearly can't deal with the small sides properly. Now Ferguson was the last man to have cracked that code, he used to describe himself as an oppertunistic gambler, whereas guys like Van Gaal and Mourinho are clearly the opposite and all about tactics focused on 'controlling'.

Fracture90

Maybe it's Mourinho and Van Gaal both being huge control freaks despite applying different ideologies that stiffles us. But then again there has been a serious lack of individual (attacking) talent in our squads too for years now. Saw Feyenoord against Utrecht yesterday where a 35 Robin van Persie lead the line in a way Lukaku could only dream off really.

Before RVP it was prime Rooney, before that Ronaldo, we've not had any attacking player who were on that level for at least 6 months since Ferguson retired.
Think it has the most to do with style of play. When players are doubting your philosophy / style of play they need to be motivated for every single game, something Mourinho alluded to in his post match comments vs. Wolves. "They played like I play, like it's the World Cup final".

When you have a good system that that the players themselves are enjoying, then they're pretty much motivated no matter the opponent.

I agree with individual talent but then again our system rarely ever manages to have one of our attackers in a 1v1 position against an isolated FB.

UncleBob

I don't disagree with that but something has obviously gone pear shaped between Woodard and Jose. I think promises were made and broken.
It doesn't really explain anything. Fact is that Mourinho wanted more players, he wanted to strengthen the squad even further, that's nothing new. Fact is that he didn't get all the players he wanted, either because they were too expensive or because Ed for some reason decided that they were the wrong players at the wrong price, the latter being speculation.

Another Fact is that Mourinho has also been allowed to bring in a large number of top quality players, and neither of them are performing consistently well, while at the same time our attacking football is just as "meh" as it was under Moyes and LVG. We should be doing much, much better, doesn't matter that Mourinho expected to sign one or two more players, with the players we have available there shouldn't be an opponent looking forward to meet us

Smores

I must be watching different games this season if you lot seriously think we haven't attacked or you're just simplisticly equating that to goals scored.