Pogba

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Mediocrity is everywhere on the pitch for us, putting money to one side a moment, Pogba’s performances are symptomatic of a team that don’t perform on the pitch in almost any area consistently. He’s proven this by performing every time he’s away from United in functional teams (this is difference with him and others in the squad imo.)

I’d argue we should be keeping the core of talented players we have and build on that with the next manager. Some just want the ‘saga’ to end but to me it’s cutting our nose off to spite our face in the long term.

We should be trying to structure a functional midfield that accomodates one of the few world class players we have. Rather than consigning ourselves to guaranteed mediocrity with McFred and Grandpa Matic who offer nothing remotely like what Pogba can.

To me it’s so simple, just buy a top level DM because we need one REGARDLESS of whether Pogba stays or goes, if he stays you then get the best from him and we have two top level midfielders (it worked with Matic when he gave us 3 months before his legs gave out.) Or back to relegation fodder walking through us.

Look at the players we’re linked with, we’re never going to compete with the top teams in our league if we let our best players go and replace them with just ‘decent’ players like Neves for example.
You are clutching here though - Pogba has never shown he can be the focal point of the team. Why couldnt he shine they way Gerard did in a mediocre liverpool team?
With Pogba its not just about the pitch anyway and its time we cut the Pogba circus loose and let it off to the next location.
We are mediocre with or without Pogba. he hasnt shown the grit needed to be "that" man as far as I am concerend.
its a shame we couldnt get the best out of him but such is life

Ixion

I really like Pogba but if we're stupid enough to throw 500k a week at him it would be even dumber of him to turn it down, he might as well make the most he can. It would epitomise some of the problems we have here, we've rewarded failure and mediocrity for so long. I imagine this is BS though, we can't genuinely want to throw that much at him.

Infra-red

That's not true. Real, Juventus and PSG have always wanted him. They can't afford the transfer fee (mostly because of FFP) but the wages won't be a problem for any of them.
They all want him, just but not enough to actually make an offer at any point in the last four years, despite the fact his agent was offering him around? Presumably that's because they don't think he's worth the money that he'd cost? Doesn't sound like they hold him in particularly high regard.

CraftySoAndSo

If this is true and he accepts we deserve everything happening to us right now. We need to implement a Man City style system where we have wage structure and don't break it for anyone regardless of who they are or how well they are performing. And that starts by offloading the high earners who have consistently not earned that amount of money.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
I don't really care about the salaries of players. I'd like to have that money myself, but usually it only worries me when I play Master League or something and I miss that one player/extension that would've completed my "vision". Other than that, I like Pogba, I like the Man Utd squad, and I mostly wonder if he would do well under a coach that isn't "we need the best players or I can't do shit" like Mou en Ole. Maybe he still won't perform as well as we would like him to, but a system that makes his passing and vision a more reliable weapon does sound promising. Plus I think in this system you need a more technical passer in midfield next to McTom or Fred and I don't think Matic or Beek can do that well enough. If Pogba does leave, that means that I think they're better off with someone like Neves than with a more purely defensive midfielder. In general a player like that, one with technical gifts but also a bit more defensive awareness than Pogba, would be a necessary addition to this squad as at least a rotational option. That way you'll have one of McFred and one of Pogba/Matic/Neveslike as your midfield two, which isn't Modric-Casemiro-Kroos, but it is pretty good and better than hoping that McFred have one of their magic partnership days (which are too rare no?).

Then again I can understand if people are getting tired of the 'What ifs' too. I'm still curious to see how things develop but whatever happens, happens and I think the money side of things is the financial department's problem. Also kinda weird that privacy doesn't mean anything when it regards famous people and whatever money they make.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This is like seeing a mate stay with a girl he doesn’t really like out of nothing more than fear of change.

Pintu

If this is true and he accepts we deserve everything happening to us right now. We need to implement a Man City style system where we have wage structure and don't break it for anyone regardless of who they are or how well they are performing. And that starts by offloading the high earners who have consistently not earned that amount of money.
Man City is no example. Their salary structure can't be compared to others. They have parallel agreements, players getting other compensations from Abu Dhabi, big tax evasion schemes, and so on. Their foreign stars often make more than the amounts reported. And the agent fees are always dealt with by the Abu Dhabi group via other structures.

They all want him, just but not enough to actually make an offer at any point in the last four years, despite the fact his agent was offering him around? Presumably that's because they don't think he's worth the money that he'd cost? Doesn't sound like they hold him in particularly high regard.
Madrid and Juventus don't have the funds for such big transfer. PSG have the funds but can't spend them, their spending was capped by UEFA. But all three have time and again offered Pogba huge salaries and tried to negociate with Manchester to bring the transfer fee down to a reasonable fee or something including swaps.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Whosoever is behind this news development should tell the owners that majority of the fan base want Pogba out... 500k? He isn't even worth 250k base on performance.

TheHeya

I think lost fans now have gotten use to the idea of him no longer being a united player. Shame it didn’t work out.. but £500k? Nah you’re alright

RUCK4444

You are clutching here though - Pogba has never shown he can be the focal point of the team. Why couldnt he shine they way Gerard did in a mediocre liverpool team?
With Pogba its not just about the pitch anyway and its time we cut the Pogba circus loose and let it off to the next location.
We are mediocre with or without Pogba. he hasnt shown the grit needed to be "that" man as far as I am concerend.
its a shame we couldnt get the best out of him but such is life
Clutching is comparing him with Gerrard, totally different players.

Herein lies the problem people have with Pogba, or at least part of it, where fans told themselves we were signing this midfield dynamo that would drag the whole team by the scruff of the neck and make us tick single-handedly. He’s not that player, never was, he’s an icing on the cake type who then becomes extremely good in a functional team with defensive cover.

He’s not a Gerrard or a Robson type. He’s an elite level deep lying playmaker if partnered with a top defensive partner or if you want him in a free-er role then left of a three.

But even Gerrard needed solid defensive players in that midfield in Mascherano/Lucas while we have none of those in ours, zero.
And it’s blatantly obvious that it’s the one thing he must have in for that balance and we desperately need that DM player anyway, which is the crying shame of it imo.

We had the right sort of player next to him for literally 3 months before his legs gave out (Matic) which coincided with Pogba playing well. We have done nothing to even go out of our way to accommodate him and people pretend we have which irks me as much as anything on the subject.

CraftySoAndSo

Man City is no example. Their salary structure can't be compared to others. They have parallel agreements, players getting other compensations from Abu Dhabi, big tax evasion schemes, and so on. Their foreign stars often make more than the amounts reported. And the agent fees are always dealt with by the Abu Dhabi group via other structures.

Madrid and Juventus don't have the funds for such big transfer. PSG have the funds but can't spend them, their spending was capped by UEFA. But all three have time and again offered Pogba huge salaries and tried to negociate with Manchester to bring the transfer fee down to a reasonable fee or something including swaps.
Ok maybe City aren't the best example but we need to show some spine and not get bullied into giving these absurd contracts. We as a club need to remind players that it's an honor to play for this club not us saying it's an honor to have you play for us, that creates an entitled dressing room.

soapythecat

He will sign an extension at United only because no other club will go near the wages we are offering.
Pogba, his commitment and ability in a United shirt are a prime indication as to how broken we are as a club. No other club would pander and accept his levels of mediocrity.
The bloke sums up everything what is wrong with United and I pray he goes at the end of the season. Don’t see him doing any kind of pressing so he literally offers nothing under RR.

Scholsey2004

Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is the definition of madness. Time to try someone different imo.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Clutching is comparing him with Gerrard, totally different players.

Herein lies the problem people have with Pogba, or at least part of it, where fans told themselves we were signing this midfield dynamo that would drag the whole team by the scruff of the neck and make us tick single-handedly. He’s not that player, never was, he’s an icing on the cake type who then becomes extremely good in a functional team with defensive cover.

He’s not a Gerrard or a Robson type. He’s an elite level deep lying playmaker if partnered with a top defensive partner or if you want him in a free-er role then left of a three.

But even Gerrard needed solid defensive players in that midfield in Mascherano/Lucas while we have none of those in ours, zero.
And it’s blatantly obvious that it’s the one thing he must have in for that balance and we desperately need that DM player anyway, which is the crying shame of it imo.

We had the right sort of player next to him for literally 3 months before his legs gave out (Matic) which coincided with Pogba playing well. We have done nothing to even go out of our way to accommodate him and people pretend we have which irks me as much as anything on the subject.
OK I understand what youre saying however the goose is cooked. There are other priorities where half a million a week can be spent.
Maybe he shouldnt have been brought back at all a few years ago

RUCK4444

OK I understand what youre saying however the goose is cooked. There are other priorities where half a million a week can be spent.
Maybe he shouldnt have been brought back at all a few years ago
Oh he definitely should not have been. Because we knew what we needed to do, half-arsed it with Matic and by not doing what was necessary it has culminated in an absolute waste of money.

I'm not sat here saying it's entirely down to us and Pogba has no portion of the blame but when you can see what is needed to get the most from the player and don't do it then it's hard to blame the player entirely in my book.

If you play Pogba in that French midfield without a decent defensive partner you will see a totally different player, if he was playing at Juve without quality defensive midfielders beside him then we wouldn't have ever bought him back. It's just the basic requirement and when you see McFred being walked through by relegation sides and realise that's who we are partnering him with, I just think it's ignorant of us to ignore that fact and it's why you can guarantee the club that does get him will have that DM in place for him and he will shine.

Acole9

Outstanding
Surely there's no chance of him staying. Not sure I'd want him to on £500k a week.

SATA

The wages of Cavani, Mata, Henderson and Jesse who are all leaving in the summer will be going towards Pogba. Worth it or not I don’t know but he’s definitely going to sign it if the club is offering that to him, because no other club in the world will do that unless PSG matches it

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Even considering keeping him around is total lunacy. He doesn't fit any recognizable system that United can, want to, or have tried to play, and he barely fits the dynamic demands of this league. So long and thanks for all the fish, Pogba.
Plus, he's rarely fit nowadays.

Ixion

Very few players if any are worth 500k a week, I can't take it seriously that we'd offer him that much it sounds ridiculous so I don't believe it. If we did though then its nothing to do with football, its about marketability, followers, brand etc. and another example of why the club is in a mess. I wouldn't judge Pogba from taking it though.

georgipep

I do see where you're coming from. However, I think giving Pogba that type of money will do more harm than good. Especially when he's been as inconsistent as he has now in terms of his performances.

I can't imagine most of the squad would be happy knowing Pogba's on 500k and would expect the majority of the remaining players to want a pay rise. Giving Pogba 500k, especially at this time when our team morale isn't the best would just end in tears. Regardless of Pogba's commercial value.
I'm not saying Pogba deserves such wages. But comparing him to others in the squad purely on footballing performance merit is not correct.

Then we may as well just shove him on a few reality shows to raise our profile even further because he doesn't do enough on the football pitch. If it isn't down to football we are fecked.
Why don’t we just sign Ed Sheeran for up front then?
Well, I don't want to sound completely ridiculous but I fear one day such stunts will become reality. Logan Paul is a boxer now, apparently.

Football is ultimately about entertainment. The moment people become more interested in seeing popular figures performing, then this will come too.

And for the record, I am by no means supporting that. I'd rather have footballers playing football.

I'm sorry but I do not care about the business side. I am a Manchester United fan not Stakeholder.

I want to see performances on the pitch on the footballing side.

You talk about narrow frames, can you tell me how much income Pogba generates for us?

Also, please go check how much we bought those players for and the wages we paid those players.

I am not interested in the money making, I am a football fan concerned about winning football games and trophies.
Well, unfortunately for both of us, we don't make or even influence the decisions. And signing Ronaldo last summer was the most obvious example how the commercial value of players is far more important than their impact on the sporting performance.

The club is interested in the money making. And I can't blame them. They are businessmen, appointed to run a business. We are just customers of that business. It doesn't matter if we ourselves fans, devotees, groupies or whatver. We are customers.

I can't tell you how much income Pogba generates us. But I am very confident in saying that if we are willing to offer him £500k/week, even though he is often injured, then he must be contributing quite a lot to the commercial side of the business, if not on the sporting side (which I am not implying, this is a whole other conversation).

How stupid do you think our fans are?

It's not that people don't understand the commercial side of it - it's not exactly rocket science - but fans should absolutely push back against the club putting commercial value over sporting value.

United viewing players as nothing but assets has lead to us having the highest wage bill in the league while performing like the 7th best team in the league. Their business model has been a resounding failure on all fronts.
I think fans are naive and too one-dimensional when they evaluate players and their value for the club. Notice, the club, not the squad, not the starting XI, but the club.

And I agree that this has lead to us having the highest wage bill while performing inadequately. But it appears as the decisions are made based on business performance, not sporting performance. And we are doing well enough there.

-Supreme-

Pogba's injury record is pretty appalling too in recent times.
It’d be interesting to see if his injury record will improve when he could no longer going aboard to countries like Dubai for rehabilitation. This must have pissed lots of players off and what a great decision by Rangnick.

ThemanGiggsy

Anyone know when he is due back in training? i saw earlier in the week he was running on grass, but not training.

Strats

If this is true and he signs it will be Woodwards grand finale of feck ups before he leaves

roseguy64

I agree.

With the numbers being quoted, he's definitely not worth it and therefore I think he will go because I can't see Ralf sanctioning 300k a week never mind 500.

I just wanted to add at the end that this is coming from someone who actually rates Pogba, I think on his day he's one of the best players in the world but he's still not worth 300k a week never mind 500.
Rangnick has no power to sanction or veto a deal.

RomfordRed75

£400k a week for a player who shows up on the pitch 3 or 4 times a season (usually against the likes of Leeds and Southampton). Sums up the absolute state of this club at the moment.
Let him leave on a free, I am sure most United fans would happily drive him to PSG, Juve or Madrid.

Holocene

Everybody going nuts when there’s no link to any major offer being tabled, as far as I can see?
Just imagine what the reaction will be like on here if he signs a new deal. It's going to be glorious.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It’d be interesting to see if his injury record will improve when he could no longer going aboard to countries like Dubai for rehabilitation. This must have pissed lots of players off and what a great decision by Rangnick.
Oh this shite again. Yes he’s faking injuries and nobody else went abroad to do their recovery from injuries. Just Pogba…..and he wasn’t even injured :rolleyes:

-Supreme-

Oh this shite again. Yes he’s faking injuries and nobody else went abroad to do their recovery from injuries. Just Pogba…..and he wasn’t even injured :rolleyes:
Rashford also went to Dubai straight after his summer holiday, so it isn’t just Pogba if you feel any better:)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Rashford also went to Dubai straight after his summer holiday, so it isn’t just Pogba if you feel any better:)
Half our players have done it over the past 3/4 years. I agree with Ralf that they should stay at the club but that’s not relevant to what was happening previously. I don’t see any other players singled out.

Strootman's Finger

500K a week??? The guy is a complete fraud of a footballer. If he signs I am just checking out of football for a while. As much as him being at the club infuriates me and that's almost enough, just seeing that kind of incompetence from the top of the club would put it over the edge, there would just be no hope left that we could run this club properly anytime in the near future.