Pogba

laughtersassassin

Pogba interesting stats. Taken from Man Utd apps... Which sadly misses the dribbling stats
Bad
70% pass completion... Not great
0/0 tackles
0 aerial duels
0 interceptions
0 clearances
11 possesion lost
0 assists or secondary assists
0 free kicks won

Ok
1 big chance created
2 chances created
2 fouls
1 fouled (and in attacking area)
2 shots, 1 on target
2 touches on opposition box
6 forward passes (can't see completion stats of these)
1 headed clearance

Good
4/5 final 3rd passes complete
3 possession won

I think this game says it all in one for me. Capable of moments, but overall not enough in terms of helping to control or dominate a game.

It's easy to get excited by his eye test moments. The best of which could/ should have resulted in an assist, but outside of that there actually wasn't much to be thrilled about.
Yeah this isn't it at all.

Despite scoring 2 when he went off we had more control with him and well he only conceeded two due to freak incidents that he wasn't involved in.

Was man of the match as long as he was on.

PSV

Would be a decent game if he'd been a winger. He isn't. It's yet another game where McTominay is mostly left to his own in the mid.

macheda14

But that really didn’t happen. Leeds were dominating possession even more and walking through the midfield with ease. Wasn’t until Ronaldo came that control was restored
Yes, we didn’t regain control, but he offered little defensively I mean in terms of defensive output the stats do speak for themselves there. Ralf, is going to sub a player before completely changing the system.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If you can watch that match and think Pogba didn't play well, then there's nothing more to be said, I don't need to waste my time.
As poster above said, if I look this game as him being a winger or for his attacking contribution then it's a great game. However as a midfielder that was far from great performance, there's more to midfield than just dribbling around the pitch. We've lost every midfield battle in past 4 games he's been a starter, and it's quite obvious why, his passing is very inconsistent and he doesn't bring much about controlling the match or helping the defence.

UnitedFire

Check my posts, I criticise our players in abundance. The witch-hunt you seem to be on is ridiculous.

He played well, has been injured so was substituted. There are other players that could be drawing your ire but no, Pogba. It’s a rather strange tact.
There is probably another angle on Pogba, much like my stats.

Someone like Mctominay will probably fairly universally be agreed as not good enough.

Fred before becoming much better with fewer games was also deemed not good enough.

Pogba is always in question as definitely has moments that suggest he is good enough and a lot of moments doing not a lot so there is merit in doing deeper dives on his performances.

Lecland07

I think it would be best to shift Fernandes into the number 9 role against Atletico.

Pogba, McTominay and Fred in midfield. That will probably be our best chance of winning.

Red4Life_#7

I think it would be best to shift Fernandes into the number 9 role against Atletico.

Pogba, McTominay and Fred in midfield. That will probably be our best chance of winning.
Where's Ronaldo? His Champion League record is good this season.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Yes, we didn’t regain control, but he offered little defensively I mean in terms of defensive output the stats do speak for themselves there. Ralf, is going to sub a player before completely changing the system.
Because he was getting further forward and needed more in the final third. Without him those first two goals aren’t scored and two goals he was on the pitch for had nothing to do with him.Weird thing to criticize him for

villain

Hates Beyoncé
As poster above said, if I look this game as him being a winger or for his attacking contribution then it's a great game. However as a midfielder that was far from great performance, there's more to midfield than just dribbling around the pitch. We've lost every midfield battle in past 4 games he's been a starter, and it's quite obvious why, his passing is very inconsistent and he doesn't bring much about controlling the match or helping the defence.
We don't have a good defensive midfielder, and Pogba isn't a DM himself.
I get that most people love players that show grit & determination and run around all game every game - but not every player is about that style nor should they be judged on that alone, and Pogba has never been about that style either.
Our midfield has been in shambles for the best part of a decade if not longer, even without Pogba we don't control the match and we were even worse in the months he was injured.

Greck

Wow imagine calling that performance a "moments" performance. I hate to use the term but this is the definition of "agenda". He actually orchestrated everything good when he was on. Wow someone said Mctominay was on his own. I just can't anymore. Would it kill people to wait for one of the games where this actually happens to make the point? Why force it on days like today? Like, don't even get me wrong, I wasn't as impressed by the team performance as others but Pogba was the least moments player tonight.

Posh Red

Wow imagine calling that performance a "moments" performance. I hate to use the term but this is the definition of "agenda". He actually orchestrated everything good when he was on. Wow someone said Mctominay was on his own. I just can't anymore. Would it kill people to wait for one of the games where this actually happens to make the point? Why force it on days like today?
Always the same with Pogba. And people would have you believe he isn’t judged unfairly.

Lecland07

Where's Ronaldo? His Champion League record is good this season.
He looks really poor, at the moment. Not sure his goal scoring in the Champion's League is going to continue. He did well in the group, but he was playing better in general, also. At the moment, he is pretty atrocious.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You'd think we were playing controlled midfield/maestro like football without Pogba, and when he comes in, only then do we fall apart in the middle :lol:

Liverpool, City, even fecking Watford were running rings around us without Pogba on the field.

lost7

We've actually been playing a lot better since he's been back in the team compared to before. How can anyone seriously argue that we've been worse in the last 4 games compared to earlier? Just look at any sort of stats, xg or whatever and it's pretty obvious.

Funny you say we haven't won any midfield battles, but how about when he wasn't playing and we were getting dominated by Newcastle and Norwich? I guess some of you just see what you want to see...

Stadjer

It’s weird how fans expect Pogba to perform like KDB and Kante all at once
Has been like that since he rejoined. He has to make the goals, give the assists but also defend and control. If he doesnt do all of that he is shit, eventhough there is no player in the world who does all those things. Usually that is a job for 3 midfielders... yet Pogba is supposed to do all of it by himself.

Greck

You'd think we were playing controlled midfield/maestro like football without Pogba, and when he comes in, only then do we fall apart in the middle :lol:

Liverpool, City, even fecking Watford were running rings around us without Pogba on the field.
Then they can say he's atrocious defensively, no arguments, but to call that a moments performance is straight acrobatics. We've officially left the realm of objectivity and fairness here.

AFC NimbleThumb

No, they're both not good enough to be starting for United consistently, so it's not even fair to compare them to Pogba's level and what he can do. And I never said "in comparison to McTomminay or Fred" in anything I said so I don't know why you're bringing them into the conversation. I'm merely discussing Pogba and what he does during a match.
My point is saying this in a Pogba thread whilst McFred exist isn’t really addressing the issue at its most imperative point. I think Pogba should probably go [though I don’t agree with your 2 pace argument] but Mcfred are a far more pressing issues. I just think the rhetoric around Pogba frankly stinks, he’s had a good performance & quite a number of posters have caveated praise with criticism.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought he was very good today. Still not arsed about whether he signs a new contract though.

UnitedFire

Brilliant game. Head and shoulders above everyone in the passing department.
12 chances created in the game:
3 Sancho (2 big, 2 assists), 74% pass completion, 29/39, 9 forward passes, 14/21 successful final third
2 Fernandes (1 big, 1 assist), 49% pass completion 16/33, 15 forward passes, 6/15 succesful final third
2 Pogba (1 big), 70% pass completion, 14/20, 6 forward passes, 4/5 successful final third
2 Shaw (0 big), 78% pass completion, 25/32, 15 forward passes, 4/7 successful final third
1 Lindelof (0 big)
1 Lingard (0 big)
1 Ronaldo (0 big)
0 Mctominay, 76% pass completion, 22/29, 10 forward passes

On the above I'd say Sancho head and shoulders above everyone. Shaw probably second. Pogba more consistent than Fernandes so probably third despite Fernandes assist. Pogba close to assist.

macheda14

Because he was getting further forward and needed more in the final third. Without him those first two goals aren’t scored and two goals he was on the pitch for had nothing to do with him.Weird thing to criticize him for
I’m not criticising him just saying why Ralf subbed him off.

Witchking

12 chances created in the game:
3 Sancho (2 big, 2 assists), 74% pass completion, 29/39, 9 forward passes, 14/21 successful final third
2 Fernandes (1 big, 1 assist), 49% pass completion 16/33, 15 forward passes, 6/15 succesful final third
2 Pogba (1 big), 70% pass completion, 14/20, 6 forward passes, 4/5 successful final third
2 Shaw (0 big), 78% pass completion, 25/32, 15 forward passes, 4/7 successful final third
1 Lindelof (0 big)
1 Lingard (0 big)
1 Ronaldo (0 big)
0 Mctominay, 76% pass completion, 22/29, 10 forward passes

On the above I'd say Sancho head and shoulders above everyone. Shaw probably second. Pogba more consistent than Fernandes so probably third despite Fernandes assist. Pogba close to assist.
Man what i meant is Pogbaa is very silky with his passing. In terms of passing talent, he is the best in the team. Just wish he was more consistent like giving a full season of good games which has never happened.

Rolaholic

Man what i meant is Pogbaa is very silky with his passing. In terms of passing talent, he is the best in the team. Just wish he was more consistent like giving a full season of good games which has never happened.
False

He wasn't named to the players association TOTY by accident

Longshanks

False

He was so consistent that year that mouriniho dropped him, then he had a purple patch when ole took over before returning to his usual inconsistent self by the end of the season.

He is certainly consistent in his inconsistency, I will give you that.

The thing with pogba is as long as the majority of the work he does is in the final third than he looks good and he looks a real threat. Its when he starts doing work in the other two thirds that he turns into a liability normally. And the more he is in those two thirds the more of a liability he is.

My opinion hasn't changed with Pogba he should play as a false 9 he has all the attributes and it keeps him in the final third where he is at his best.

Witchking

False
2018/19 was a sucky season for United except for the PSG win and the first 10 - 13 games of Ole's season. Most of your stats are related to the Ole beginning period where even Lingard showed decent form. Pogba has not built on from the stats you posted. We did not win anything that season or the next or the next. Trophy less.

But if you think he has consistently played well in 2018/19 carry on.

BerryBerryShrew

He was so consistent that year that mouriniho dropped him, then he had a purple patch when ole took over before returning to his usual inconsistent self by the end of the season.

He is certainly consistent in his inconsistency, I will give you that.

The thing with pogba is as long as the majority of the work he does is in the final third than he looks good and he looks a real threat. Its when he starts doing work in the other two thirds that he turns into a liability normally. And the more he is in those two thirds the more of a liability he is.

My opinion hasn't changed with Pogba he should play as a false 9 he has all the attributes and it keeps him in the final third where he is at his best.
You might be on to something with that. He could potentially do what Kane did yesterday against City.

Rolaholic

Matters at the end of the day a lot more than being the devil in flesh to sections of the fanbase

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It’s weird how fans expect Pogba to perform like KDB and Kante all at once :lol:
That's feckin hilarious. He has a defensive awareness of a drunk teenage at 5am in the morning going home from a club.

Now, yeah we should used him better and had our set up to fulfil his strengths. Thiago - Kante - Pogba midfield for example. One to control, one to battle everyone and let him do the damage on his favorite position. However, he is not free of blame and had his flaws magnified in our set up.

AFC NimbleThumb

Matters at the end of the day a lot more than being the devil in flesh to sections of the fanbase
Off the top of my head I can remember Matic & Bruno speaking glowingly of Pogba, but regardless how many times those examples are brought up posters will call him ‘a virus’ having never met/played with him. The narrative fostered by this fanbase towards him, based on. . . feck all, has been despicable. Publicly he has been complimented far more about his presence in the dressing room than most.

cyril C

Would be a decent game if he'd been a winger. He isn't. It's yet another game where McTominay is mostly left to his own in the mid.
Unfortunately I strongly agree with you. Pogba has been toying with the opposition the whole game, while it was alright 1st half, when Leeds picked up their energy level we were everywhere. McTom was the only one winning any 50-50 challenge and going for a 2nd yellow. Replacing Pogba with Fred restored some level of control into our squad.

So yes, in a 3-men MF, with 2 workers covering his ass, Pogba would be OK. But with him playing with fire, which he might get away with it 75% of the time, just watch out for the remaining 25%. I think RR got it spot on in replacing Pogba and CR yesterday, just when they are turning from asset into liability

Tallis

He is not meant to play in the EPL given his limitations in the defensive side of the game. He will be awesome for a Juve as long as he can keep his fitness up.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I see that on the field too. He is asking for the ball, first one to come and celebrate the goals, joking around.

Hope he stays and take the captain band.

Nikelesh Reddy

When he’s on song he is unplayable,he really is a sight to behold.The way he set up Ronaldo in the first half was absolutely breathtaking…It’s a shame that he’s going to leave on a free this summer…Unfortunately for whatever reason we haven’t seen the best of him consistently…

Rolaholic

I see that on the field too. He is asking for the ball, first one to come and celebrate the goals, joking around.

Him sliding in with Maguire after his goal was a great little moment along with the banter with Bruno about replicating his move :lol:

No current or former teammate has ever said anything negative about him

TsuWave

I wonder if there are any other star footballers, who are academy graduates at the club they're playing for, and have such a contentious relationship (mostly one sided) with large segments of the fanbase

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yeah, it looks like he gets on with everyone well and also first to celebrate with the goal scorer. Celebrates more than goal scorer too.

Pogba and Bruno bromance is awesome.

Ladron de redcafe

Of course, and if you watched the footage from the World Cup final, you could see the French national team responding to Pogba as he drilled them with instructions. His leadership and apparent likability make him a good presence in the dressing room.