Pogba's contract offer

Ghostrider318

Hes looks so disinterested and abysmal the last couple of games. Also looks pissed. I dont think we've offered a new contract and looks like he hasnt gotten great offers like he expected .

Fridge chutney

Rumour has it that Ten Hag is a big Pogba fan, and is trying to convince the club to keep him.

I hope this is true. Win-win if that's the case! Our midfield needs work and losing Pogba, who is our best midfielder, would be a step in the wrong direction.

peridigm

Rumour has it that Ten Hag is a big Pogba fan, and is trying to convince the club to keep him.

I hope this is true. Win-win if that's the case! Our midfield needs work and losing Pogba, who is our best midfielder, would be a step in the wrong direction.
And people wonder why we're in the state we're in now. Extending the contract of a player who's done jack shit for 5 seasons would be a step in the wrong direction.
Sometimes it's best to just part ways no matter how good the player was for another team or in a different system or whatever. He's not done anything here to warrant a new contract on high wages.

OmarUnited4ever

In a normal situation, the club shouldn't have extended Bruno before ETH was made official
Indeed, but even if Bruno wasn't offered a new deal, he would still be contracted to the club till 2026, the extension was probably to raise his pay, not the right move by the club but it won't be a major issue for the incoming manager.

My worry is if the club offers a new deal to the likes of Shaw, Rashford, and Martial, those 3 for example have contracts up to 2024, ETH should be given the chance to assess them for one season if they want to stay.

The ones who have their contracts expiring by 2023, like Jones & Matic for example should be allowed to leave either this summer for a low fee or the next summer on a free.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

5 years of rubbish and half arsing it and some fans would still be happy to kerp him. The stupidity that runs through this club is baffling

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Our best midfielder? Not by a long shot. Our most marketable midfielder who cares? When Fred and McT are regularly outperforming and out working you and you make more than the pair of them put together then maybe it’s time to take a look at your own game/motivation

I can’t believe the club are going to go for this

Last edited:

redmanc

Unless ETH is coming in with a big fecking plan that includes pogba getting a team around him this summer, he needs to go otherwise hes going to be close to useless and on the decline by the time the squad has been reshaped.

Fridge chutney

Unless ETH is coming in with a big fecking plan that includes pogba getting a team around him this summer, he needs to go otherwise hes going to be close to useless and on the decline by the time the squad has been reshaped.
I think Pogba is central to ETH's plans, which means that it is well worth offering him a new contract!

crossy1686

career ending
I don't actually believe it but if the club have offered him a massive bumper contract we're going fecking no where until the people making these decisions are removed from the club.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I don't actually believe it but if the club have offered him a massive bumper contract we're going fecking no where until the people making these decisions are removed from the club.
It's just another clue among many, Rangnick has not even ounce of power over anything in this club whatsoever.

Ten Hag will need to shake entire club with a shock therapy or I can't see one thing happening.

jesperjaap

Anybody who thinks its a good idea we offer Pogba a new contract of £4-500k a week needs to have a word with themselves. Thats as mental as not seeling him when he was supposedly worth £70m odd a couple of years ago. Forget the ability and world cups, hardly been our worst player but he isnt worth half the salary and lets not forget he is 30 this time next year

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Anybody who thinks its a good idea we offer Pogba a new contract of £4-500k a week needs to have a word with themselves. Thats as mental as not seeling him when he was supposedly worth £70m odd a couple of years ago. Forget the ability and world cups, hardly been our worst player but he isnt worth half the salary and lets not forget he is 30 this time next year
We had a poll, 85% didn't want him signing a new deal.

lsd

The Oracle
I can't see why we would offer him a new contract when we don't even start him most of the time.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I can clearly see that happening mainly because club's sheer inability to find proper midfielders in place of Pogba.

crossy1686

career ending
It's just another clue among many, Rangnick has not even ounce of power over anything in this club whatsoever.

Ten Hag will need to shake entire club with a shock therapy or I can't see one thing happening.
I think Rangnick's influence has waned along with the results. He said when he came into the role he would have a say on who the next manager was and he may even recommend himself for another year (or until Enrique is available I believe), and he also said he would move upstairs for 2 years as a consultant.

Now he's saying he's just being kept in the loop regarding managerial interviews and the consultancy role is becoming a "we'll call you if we've got any questions outside of the first team" gig instead.

I don't think it's any coincidence that it's come to this after how shit this season has gone.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I think Rangnick's influence has waned along with the results. He said when he came into the role he would have a say on who the next manager was and he may even recommend himself for another year (or until Enrique is available I believe), and he also said he would move upstairs for 2 years as a consultant.

Now he's saying he's just being kept in the loop regarding managerial interviews and the consultancy role is becoming a "we'll call you if we've got any questions outside of the first team" gig instead.

I don't think it's any coincidence that it's come to this after how shit this season has gone.
Interim option can do a lot, we've seen that before, but to look at it from perspective, we hired quite a good manager in Rangnick, if he'll be ignored in the end, it's such a travesty.

Instead of Ten Hag wasting time on another squad assessment which may take year or two, he could already have key answers on the plate for Hag, who should be ready to go and making space for new players this summer.

lex talionis

It was suggested here a few days ago that a pending offer to Pogba, if signed by Pogba, would not be binding on the club. Maybe.

Contract offers can be constructed with all kinds of stipulations and conditions, one of which is an offer that is a valid pending offer for a specified period of time. We have no idea how this contract offer has been constructed, apart from rumors of wages, but if it's the kind of offer that has United's signature on it and only needs Pogba's signature for it to be executed, that's pretty much that. We be screwed.

This is why I have held the view that the contract offer should be withdrawn, or at least rewritten to make it a contingent offer that can only be executed within a specified period of time. The last thing we want is Pogba realizing he has no other offers and then just signing the fukking contract to make sure he keeps getting a paycheck. Moreover, we have a new manager coming and I would think the club would want to be sure that the new manager wants Pogba lest we run the risk of forcing Pogba on him.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

I can clearly see that happening mainly because club's sheer inability to find proper midfielders in place of Pogba.
Which is madness. Forgetting Poga during his spell here the player is far frim irreplacable, he hasnt been very good, lets be honest, only 2/3 genuine spells of top quality, but there are literally loads of potential signings for the central midfield spot, some we have already missed out on, some very expensive, some I am not convinced by that are heavily linked, but numbers wise there are lots....there were last summer too, crazy we have onl ysinged VDB which was a poor signing anyway at the time I thought but amidfield signing none the less

redmanx

And people wonder why we're in the state we're in now. Extending the contract of a player who's done jack shit for 5 seasons would be a step in the wrong direction.
Sometimes it's best to just part ways no matter how good the player was for another team or in a different system or whatever. He's not done anything here to warrant a new contract on high wages.
And theres absolutely nothing to say he'll be any different under Ten Hag; we should get rid of him!

redmanx

Interim option can do a lot, we've seen that before, but to look at it from perspective, we hired quite a good manager in Rangnick, if he'll be ignored in the end, it's such a travesty.

Instead of Ten Hag wasting time on another squad assessment which may take year or two, he could already have key answers on the plate for Hag, who should be ready to go and making space for new players this summer.
Its a mess from top to bottom.

Gazza

Idle speculation on my side but I'd guess he's already agreed terms with Juventus or PSG and that he/Raiola and maybe also the club would want to keep that quiet until end of the season.

Tyrion

Honestly Pogba has been so sh!te that an average midfielder could do what he's done for us for half the money.

Tyrion

Hes looks so disinterested and abysmal the last couple of games. Also looks pissed. I dont think we've offered a new contract and looks like he hasnt gotten great offers like he expected .
That's the funny thing. He's been so poor for us he can't threaten to go to Real or PSG. No one would buy it. That's why we should offer him less pay and see if he takes it imo.

cyril C

Then the board need to spend some serious money to make pogba effective in this team over the summer!
Do you mean the Board needs to spend some serious money on the big fat guy? Possibly in the form of weekly payment, any annoying comment from you, no bonus this week, that should last for 5 years...

DevilRed

Im convinced that when he leaves, we will actually finally be able to modernise our midfield and bring in some decent talent that can run and press.

At least thats the hope. The glazers need to back ETH to the fullest this summer.

diarm

If Ten Hag really does want him, and has a plan to use him properly, I wouldn't be completely against it so long as he re-signed on a wage equal to or lower than his current one.

Agreeing to a higher wage in spite of his performances over the last few years would be a terrible message to send, and would suggest the club has learned nothing at all from the last decade.

I was also really looking forward to having Raiola removed from the club once and for all. It would need to be a great bloody plan to make keeping him around worth it.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm not sure I'm buying ETH is counting on Pogba, I mean if he gets a contract renewal then it means the rumors are true, but the cost for the current return, it would mean ETH is massively confident of being able to quickly change the team to get the best from him, and it would take a lot of changes in many areas, up front, central, Pogba is definitely a lot better than people give him credit for here, he's usually always one of the best players for France for example, but United is not set up anywhere close to what he sees with the national team, and I don't see how ETH changes that in a transfer window or two, but let's see.

edcunited1878

Pogba and United would be stupid to be together again after this season.

Pogba has obviously been frustrated about not challenging for trophies, which has been the case since his 2nd year back at the club. He's openly shared this frustration and he can easily change this by going to a lesser league and top team like PSG. Juve isn't a top team right now but might be in better position than United. Real Madrid is possible, but would they splash the cash?

United can be a much better squad and more functional team that doesn't have to accommodate his inconsistent effort levels. Unless EtH changes his position, he shouldn't be renewed, especially at a higher wage than he's at currently. It is not deserved.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm not sure I'm buying ETH is counting on Pogba, I mean if he gets a contract renewal then it means the rumors are true, but the cost for the current return, it would mean ETH is massively confident of being able to quickly change the team to get the best from him, and it would take a lot of changes in many areas, up front, central, Pogba is definitely a lot better than people give him credit for here, he's usually always one of the best players for France for example, but United is not set up anywhere close to what he sees with the national team, and I don't see how ETH changes that in a transfer window or two, but let's see.
International football is another beast, pogba at least herein united has become an increasingly luxury player and his dalliance on the ball looking for the right pass usually leads to a loss of possession and a counter attack aside from his rather mediocre defensive awareness lead to him being a huge liability.
I've completely lost hope on pogba and I don't think he'll ever come good in pressing system based on precise quick passing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We need to stop drawing comparisons between international and club football

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
We need to stop drawing comparisons between international and club football
The point isn't to compare the two, the point is to illustrate that when surrounded by certain players, Pogba consistently shines within the proper set up, and if there's any truth to those ETH rumors, which I don't believe are true, then it's about replicating similar conditions. I don't know anymore if Pogba can actually sustain a good level throughout a season if he's in the right set up, but he's capable of far more than he's shown currently at United.

At the end of the day, it would take such a massive shift to come anywhere close without any guarantees it would even work out, better to let him go because renewing him would cost a lot of money that you couldn't possibly justify to anybody in that locker room.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The point isn't to compare the two, the point is to illustrate that when surrounded by certain players, Pogba consistently shines within the proper set up, and if there's any truth to those ETH rumors, which I don't believe are true, then it's about replicating similar conditions. I don't know anymore if Pogba can actually sustain a good level throughout a season if he's in the right set up, but he's capable of far more than he's shown currently at United.

At the end of the day, it would take such a massive shift to come anywhere close without any guarantees it would even work out, better to let him go because renewing him would cost a lot of money that you couldn't possibly justify to anybody in that locker room.
There's no such thing as consistent in International football though. Its a set up where players can reset and go on patches of good form. The max stretch is what, 8 ish games if they go all the way? That suits Pogba to the top, who is a very patchy player.

Rocknrolla69er

Is there not a little bit of you that thinks United will still go and give him a bumper new deal despite what anyone on the football side of things says. ;)

If there isn't then I question your connection to reality.
My logic which is usually right, says no way he gets a contract at United.

You can hold me to that.

Hughie77

Paper talk, or whatever you call it, His fat greedy agent has told PSG or whoever is interested, UTD have offered him ex amount to stay, so you will have to pay ex amount more.
Pogbas off that I'm pretty certain, if UTD give this guy new deal there all fecking mad there.