Police investigating abuse (including alleged racist) directed towards Lingard

Scholsey2004

Same as those hobneads abusing Pogba at the end of last season. Booing ok, if you're that upset but this kind of abuse for your own players should get you banned.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I am kind of uneasy about people emphasizing the n-word. While that is obviously in every way unacceptable, emphasizing it kinda gives the more casual abuse less weight in the grand scheme. Abuse is abuse.

I think repeatedly shouting "you're shit" and similar things is just as bad as shouting the n-word. Both are degrading, though in different ways, and totally unacceptable.
No, they are not. Not even close, come on.

manutddjw

Do people get paid or something to claim something racist occurred? This is the second time this week that false accusations of racism happened. The video is clear as day that no racism happened and then there’s people making up the story that Fernandes was racially abused which is why Dier ran into the stands. Racism is a serious issue which is being marginalized by false claims.

predator

Youth NITK
I was completely unaware of this despite seeing it trending on twitter because I am so used to seeing Lingard being criticized online.

Firstly by disgruntled fans (fair enough) and then being callously mocked by united ran 'accounts' and finally being downright racially abused and receiving messages that make me consider if freedom of speech is even worth it.

I've not angry enough to get personal about someone I have never met, who is in the public eye. I have more important things to worry about.

However.... By happenstance I posted quite recently that maybe someone needed to visit Woodwards condo or something very similar and unbelievably a few days later them nob heads turned up at his house. I still feel bad to this day and even though I would prefer Woodward to leave the club because I think he isnt good enough, I would never wish harm on the man.

Honestly though I find it so interesting how people can get so personal and nasty towards someone who they have never even spoke to.

This forum is moderated superbly, you rarely see personal attacks on our players or staff which is incredible given the size of this place.

Hats off to the mods.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Can you repeat this again but slowly.
Sure, not all second language speakers are able to understand pronouns as well as native speakers so I will break it down for you.

I (spaghetti) also wouldn’t put it beyond them (the aforementioned Derby fans) to shout racist abuse at them (the players who received abuse), but racism this (the video which the thread is about) is not.

I have similar problems with pronouns in other languages so I can sympathise. I apologise and shall be more careful and clearer in any future posts.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why on Earth does the person saying this nonsense post this online? Does he think this makes him look good? How has no one battered him?

Red00012

I don't rate Lingard as a player, never have and I think he's getting worse and lazier.
I think his social media posts are infantile.

But if I saw him in a pub or on a plane I'd say, ' Hey Jessie Lingard " and give him the thumbs up or something. He's a United player and been at the club since he was 7 !

He's lived my dream so good luck to him - and I'm sure he's trying and wants to succeed. You don't show up for training every day for 20 years not wanting to do your best.

and no matter what the situation - there is no need for abuse.
Just don’t spell his name if you meet him.

Red00012

Do people get paid or something to claim something racist occurred? This is the second time this week that false accusations of racism happened. The video is clear as day that no racism happened and then there’s people making up the story that Fernandes was racially abused which is why Dier ran into the stands. Racism is a serious issue which is being marginalized by false claims.
You should maybe watch the video again .

Lynty

Somebody next him clear shouts 'n-****' a few times

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
World going one way, people another.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Listen a little harder. Maybe you’ll get it next time.

Generally speaking — it’s also the omission to acknowledge how insidious racism has become which allows it to be ‘marginalised’.

AFC NimbleThumb

Nobody does anything of the sort. It's a fecking witch hunt online these days...
I was going to leave this thread be the sh*tshow every racial discussion is on here but can you expand?

The UKs majority white media are currently on a witch hunt against a majority white crowd of football fans because one is on video shouting a racial slur?

[I’m not here to debate what you heard, if you didn’t hear it so be it; I’m just intrigued as to how this video & the reaction by many to it is a witch hunt against the dominant culture].

Maticmaker

Whoever these people (person) are, they are certainly not fans, of either club. I can imagine Derby County as a club feel ashamed this happened at their Ground.

One positive that might come out of this is that the whole United squad gets behind Jesse and that gives him a boost.

TheReligion

Abusive
Is it racist abuse or is it just abuse? It's hard to tell when you consider the accent but what's obvious is neither is acceptable. The news has been hooked on what goes on with social media trolling lately but it seems as a society people have become obsessed about trying to bully and upset people and to what end? I'm not sure what anyone gets from this kind of behaviour but it really says more about them than anything else. What's surprising is no one gets hold of the abuser and tells him to shut up (it's certainly Derby fans by the way but even still).

It's sad another cultural norm these days is to film things like this rather than step in. I see it all the time in work. People want to get out their mobiles and get as many retweets or reactions as possible rather than engaging any kind of moral conscious and making the said individual realise as a society we don't tolerate this sort of behaviour. If more people did this those responsible would soon crawl back under their rocks.

bludsucker

To me it sounded like lingard lingard. Then again i might be wrong as the club will not be investigating it if it wasn’t serious. Anyway imo we fans take it too far with the abuse. Don’t think we as fans are entitled to hurl abuse at players just cause they are not good enough. We did the same with fellaini too. It’s wrong and unacceptable.

ReddBalls

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm going to hazard a guess that you're not black.
I am not, and I am not trivializing racism in any way. It just seems to me that a lot of people in this thread (and other places) is OK with the abuse he gets, as long as it's not racist abuse. I am not ok with that.

RUCK4444

I can't hear the N* word in the video, but regardless I wan't these w*nkers banned from Old Trafford for life.

Absolute disgrace. Scumbags, it's easy to shout at somebody you know can't retaliate.

Maticmaker

Define a football fan. And if they aren't football fans by your criteria, how would you describe them?
I said they were not fans of either United or Derby, because if they were they would not want to bring their clubs into disrepute with such actions.
Many such idiots attach themselves to football clubs, but in my opinion they are not true fans.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I am not, and I am not trivializing racism in any way. It just seems to me that a lot of people in this thread (and other places) is OK with the abuse he gets, as long as it's not racist abuse. I am not ok with that.
To hear that level of hatred being levelled at one guy was really unpleasant, and a bit of an eye-opener, but having the n word thrown at him takes the abuse to a whole different level.

All abuse isn't equal, that word is the preserve of the especially spiteful.

Alabaster Codify7

The racist abuse is clearly what will be investigated by police but what an absolute disgrace shouting all that crap at Lingard. Whatever happened to supporting our players? It's one thing to see it on here but to actually shout that at him in person is pathetic. If you read about what he's dealing with in his personal life you might begin to understand why his game might be suffering at the moment. You often hear players talk back over difficult times they had in their personal life and how the support of the club and fans was so important to them at the time. Apparently that's all out the window and we just bully our players into leaving now.

Absolute scrotes, I'd love to see how hard they would be acting if Maguire, McTominay or Bailly pulled an Eric Dier on them, I bet they'd soil themselves.

Hahaha, I love how McTominay is considered a hard man by some fans. Why, because he's tall? There's nothing intimidating about that lad whatsoever!

On topic though, as much as I dislike Lingard this is bang out of order and I hope the culprits are banned.

Alabaster Codify7

Why on Earth does the person saying this nonsense post this online? Does he think this makes him look good? How has no one battered him?

Because this type of person exists in an echo chamber surrounded by similar tossers. All of his mates and social circle will be of a like mind to him, so when he's posting these videos it's to show off to those in his echo chamber - so yeah, he does think it makes him look good. He lives in his own bubble of bigotry and racism, these people don't think of the bigger picture ie - that people actually exist outside of their bubble who will take offense and report them for it. When you see wankers like this in court saying they regret their actions, what they actually regret is that they forgot 'other people' exist who aren't like them.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Why are we all saying N word these days?
These days ?

It’s been around for centuries and is continuing to be so.

We haven’t progressed as far as we’d like. The belief of some people is that as white people they are still superior to others of colour and also blame them for society’s ills so it’s ok to racially abuse them

ArjenIsM3

These days ?

It’s been around for centuries and is continuing to be so.

We haven’t progressed as far as we’d like. The belief of some people is that as white people they are still superior to others of colour and it’s ok to racially abuse them
No, I'm referring to saying "N-word" instead of using the actual word. Obviously racism is still a thing and we should continue battling it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No, I'm referring to saying "N-word" instead of using the actual word. Obviously racism is still a thing and we should continue battling it.
The liberal left decided that the using the full pejorative word causes offence so we can’t use it....

macheda14

Sure, not all second language speakers are able to understand pronouns as well as native speakers so I will break it down for you.

I (spaghetti) also wouldn’t put it beyond them (the aforementioned Derby fans) to shout racist abuse at them (the players who received abuse), but racism this (the video which the thread is about) is not.

I have similar problems with pronouns in other languages so I can sympathise. I apologise and shall be more careful and clearer in any future posts.
So just to make sure we’re both speaking the same language here. Shouting the n-word at someone is not racism?

Spaghetti

Mom's
So just to make sure we’re both speaking the same language here. Shouting the n-word at someone is not racism?
Of course it is. But, as has been stated several times on this thread, that’s not the case.

People seem to WANT to hear it, which in itself is more racist than anything that can be heard in this video.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
26-27 second mark, some absolute cretin calls him the N word.

Absolutely disgusting and I hope the police identify them.
Quite clear towards the end of the video that n word is said at least 4 times. Disgraceful to be honest and they should be found and banned for life.
Honestly sounds like Lingard to me. I can see how it sounds a bit like n***** but I think it's Lingard.

ArjenIsM3

The liberal left decided that the using the full pejorative word causes offence so we can’t use it....
It's ridiculous. If I were to say something like "He called Lingard a nigger, that's disgusting" how would that offend anyone :confused:

In before someone pretends to be offended by me using the word