Police strike blow against organised crime

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Could have saved themselves some time and just gone to the tory conference.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Organized crime isn't the enemy, they're the necessary evil.

Vices like gambling, racketeering, protection fee, loan sharking, prostitution have existed since the dawn of men.

Better some organized mafia that keep things between themselves compared to a free for all melee between local gangster. It's not even a secret that most police would turn a blind eye on minor vices as long as they don't reach a certain threshold.

For me it's better than someone on the higher up is keeping watch on the local thugs, kept the city clean and safe for tourism and no street crimes. Gambling and prostitutions are kept to a "designated" place.

It's not like the police can fully eradicate them anyway

bsCallout

Vices like gambling, racketeering, protection fee, loan sharking, prostitution have existed since the dawn of men.

Better some organized mafia that keep things between themselves compared to a free for all melee between local gangster. It's not even a secret that most police would turn a blind eye on minor vices as long as they don't reach a certain threshold.

For me it's better than someone on the higher up is keeping watch on the local thugs, kept the city clean and safe for tourism and no street crimes. Gambling and prostitutions are kept to a "designated" place.

So we should just let criminals commit crimes and become loaded in the course of doing so with no repercussions? :lol:

Just realized it's you whos imagination is running wild in the other thread too. I might follow your posts for entertainment purposes.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

You always have a seriously interesting take on things :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I do?

I thought it's a widely accepted tenets that organized crime is indeed to the very least the lesser evil.
It’s literally the first time I have ever heard this.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think what he means that sometimes even law enforcement prefers a more "quiet" and "professional" organized crime group to control rackets, instead of multiple groups fighting for control and creating dead bodies on the street visible for the public.

That doesn't mean that law enforcement doesn't wanna catch those guys. But they don't want wars to be fought on the streets that will scare the public or put more pressure on police to solve it.

Hughes35

Nah I think Louis Theroux has covered it in the U.S. The police in areas just let the bad mob guys own the streets because if they arrest the guy or he gets killed there will be a turf war. The police seemed to have pretty good relationships with the main gangsters, if I remember correctly.

The initial poster is right. Much better to just turn a blind eye as long as the crime doesn't go above and beyond the norm.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
So we should just let criminals commit crimes and become loaded in the course of doing so with no repercussions? :lol:

Just realized it's you whos imagination is running wild in the other thread too. I might follow your posts for entertainment purposes.
It's not something that will ever be eradicated through violent policing. The whole cops and robbers game costs taxpayers billions around the world and never actually prevents anything but let's some on both sides make large profits and creates powerful moralizing politicians.

The only way to drastically reduce organized crime would be to make all vices legal and regulated and allow the state and corporate entities the ability to profit off of them. Even then there will always be black markets but that's the only way to reduce organized crime.

Sky is also 100% correct that organized crime is better than unorganized street gangs running things especially when societies want to moralize and make certain things illegal and have drastically different punishments for basically the same crime. Steal some toothpaste and beer and you end up in the slammer for years. Steal millions through white collar manipulation and you get a slap on the wrist and probation or at worst serve some insignificant amount of time in some club like private facility.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I'll give you this, this is the most fascinating post I've seen on here in a while.

Sweet Square

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Are you the penguin?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think what he means that sometimes even law enforcement prefers a more "quiet" and "professional" organized crime group to control rackets, instead of multiple groups fighting for control and creating dead bodies on the street visible for the public.

That doesn't mean that law enforcement doesn't wanna catch those guys. But they don't want wars to be fought on the streets that will scare the public or put more pressure on police to solve it.
Isn't this exactly how the Yakuza works?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Isn't this exactly how the Yakuza works?
I have no source to support it but I do remember reading a long time ago about a "mutual understanding" between Yakuza and Japanese police to have as little violence as possible. So yeah, could be true.

TheReligion

Abusive

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Pretty interesting how they did it really. 800 arrests in a multitude of different countries is pretty good and will have an impact. It will also make OCGs think differently with regards to communication and should hinder them in the future.

No it's not.
That is optimistic. There is too much money involved for a solution not to be found quickly.