POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Member 5225

Thr arrogance of this club appears to be from Charlton down to the fans. Fergie was Ghandi apparently. He never threw boots at players, give them a dry blower massage, or be a spiteful father to others. He was the definition of humble. He never claimed to be on a mission to knock of the biggest club in England when he was newly hired. Humble.

I think we deserve this. It happened to the Greeks, the Romans, the British, the Scouse, Milan, and now it's our turn.

Ten years from now we'll be scraping to get into the top 4 and still we'll be talking about nonsense likr being humble.
Totally agree with this.
Not even about Mourinho, but if we continue to have this superiority complex and frankly, a sense of delusion, we'll pass everyone up and be in a massive hole and wonder why it's all failing when we keep giving jobs to managers with personalities not big enough.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Totally agree with this.
Not even about Mourinho, but if we continue to have this superiority complex and frankly, a sense of delusion, we'll pass everyone up and be in a massive hole and wonder why it's all failing when we keep giving jobs to managers with personalities not big enough.
This.

If we don't appoint Jose Mourinho within the next week or two, I have to question the sanity of the people who run the club.

Revan

Assumptionman
Totally agree with this.
Yep the superiority complex is nice only when you are at top (Barca), in which case it might be seem as arrogance. When you are midtable and still have it, is called delusion.

NinjaFletch

Thr arrogance of this club appears to be from Charlton down to the fans. Fergie was Ghandi apparently. He never threw boots at players, give them a dry blower massage, or be a spiteful father to others. He was the definition of humble. He never claimed to be on a mission to knock of the biggest club in England when he was newly hired. Humble.

I think we deserve this. It happened to the Greeks, the Romans, the British, the Scouse, Milan, and now it's our turn.

Ten years from now we'll be scraping to get into the top 4 and still we'll be talking about nonsense likr being humble.
Yep

Ixion

The problem I have with José is that it would a short term solution with virtually no benefits for the future, and that's if he wins.
Van Gaal is here for another 1.5 years, we have to find someone after that point anyway.

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Im now quite in favour of Mourinho.

Iv previously said no as his attitude is an issue, and the siege mentality isn't the ideal.

However im now thinking his short term fix and siege mentality would do us well. He's also renowned for man management and boosting confidence short term.

I think that's where we are now. We are under siege, we're playing terrible, and confidence is rock bottom. Team would benefit from an arm round the shoulder and a castle wall built around us. Get top four, use Mourinho's name to bring in some elite players to finish off the squad. Then next season maybe he makes a push and we just keep an eye on him so it doesn't implode before we part ways.

SalfordRed1960

The poll suggests that it is almost evenly split on whether the fans want Jose. I would hazard a guess that most of those that voted recently are doing so because they want LVG out, rather than Jose in.

I don't get the club arrogance (may be I don't see what you lot see), maybe it i because the hierarchy are not making the same decisions you want, you think they are arrogant. However, nobody would argue Fergie wasn't arrogant. Fans arrogant? We are no different to any other fans, we see our club as the best thin since sliced bread, pretty sure Bournemouth, Palace and watford fans think the same. I think we as fans acknowledge other teams have a stronger squad, so arrogance may not be the appropriate word.

O'Sheady

The poll suggests that it is almost evenly split on whether the fans want Jose. I would hazard a guess that most of those that voted recently are doing so because they want LVG out, rather than Jose in.

I don't get the club arrogance (may be I don't see what you lot see), maybe it i because the hierarchy are not making the same decisions you want, you think they are arrogant. However, nobody would argue Fergie wasn't arrogant. Fans arrogant? We are no different to any other fans, we see our club as the best thin since sliced bread, pretty sure Bournemouth, Palace and watford fans think the same. I think we as fans acknowledge other teams have a stronger squad, so arrogance may not be the appropriate word.
It appears that if you don't want Mourinho you are arrogant and delusional. Oh the irony!

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Might as well close this thread now - not gonna happen now IMO
Not sure about that. Defeat against Swansea I think could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for Van Gaal. It's one thing to get the players relatively galvanised for a make-or-break, almost cup-final with regards to Van Gaal's job security, match against the reigning champions. Against Swansea we may well revert back to previous matches' insipidness.

Another possibility is that despite Mourinho saying he's able to start a managerial job straight away, he has also said that he would prefer to take a job at the end of the season to give him time to prepare for it, and his agent has even come out and said that Mourinho right now just needs to relax. If the board shares this view then it might be that they are doing everything to keep Van Gaal in position till the summer just to ensure Jose will be in the perfect frame of mind to take over.

SalfordRed1960

It appears that if you don't want Mourinho you are arrogant and delusional. Oh the irony!
I have never taken to him since his Porto side played us in the CL. The 2 finger up in the air, run along the touch line when they scored an equalizer made me dislike him immensely. He has won a lot, so obviously has something, but I would prefer he did not come. If he does, I would support him like any other manager. I did with Fergie, and I can't say I actually liked him, and definitely wanted him out in 89.

Member 5225

Not sure about that. Defeat against Swansea I think could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for Van Gaal. It's one thing to get the players relatively galvanised for a make-or-break, almost cup-final with regards to Van Gaal's job security, match against the reigning champions. Against Swansea we may well revert back to previous matches' insipidness.

Another possibility is that despite Mourinho saying he's able to start a managerial job straight away, he has also said that he would prefer to take a job at the end of the season to give him time to prepare for it, and his agent has even come out and said that Mourinho right now just needs to relax. If the board shares this view then it might be that they are doing everything to keep Van Gaal in position till the summer just to ensure Jose will be in the perfect frame of mind to take over.
Nah - thought that for so many of the last few games.
Plus not like we're bending over backwards to get Jose. Simply not gonna happen now IMO (if we wanted him we'd have acted by now considering how sought-after he is).

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Nah - thought that for so many of the last few games.
Plus not like we're bending over backwards to get Jose. Simply not gonna happen now IMO (if we wanted him we'd have acted by now considering how sought-after he is).
Well, bare in mind that the board are hellbent on avoiding the "sacking club" label, almost at all costs. Then bare in mind that before the Wolfsburg loss we weren't doing (so) badly results wise, and the Wolfsburg loss in itself wasn't a disastrous performance on its own considering the injuries and opposition. So he probably had the Norwich and Bournemouth games free of the risk of being sacked immediately, then a windy away day to Stoke followed by a home draw to Chelsea still probably wasn't enough to persuade Ed & co to make an immediate move.

However, all of this combined with the home loss to struggling 17th placed Swansea after seemingly seeing light on the horizon against Chelsea may be a different kettle of fish altogether.

On Mourinho being sought after, through both heavy media reporting and common sense we can assume there has at least been some sort of contact between Mendes and Manchester United since Mourinho's Chelsea sacking, as well as contact between Fergie and Mourinho himself, so if he hadn't been given some sort of hope regarding getting the Manchester United job would he be doing this?...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...hes-not-interested-in-returning-a6791836.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

SoCross

If we take Mourinho now, we might lose out on Pep...not sure if that's a chance I'm willing to take.

P.S. I voted no for Mourinho because I don't like the man and how he goes about his business. Too much of a circus.

AttackingFlair

Nope. Pep simply has better, more purposeful players. A pass to Messi/Robben/Iniesta/Suarez/Muller/Lewandowski's feet gets used in a much better way than a pass to Memphis/Rooney/Mata's feet. That's the biggest difference.

His football would also look like 'pointless possession' with limited players like Mata, Memphis, Rooney instead of Costa, Muller, Robben.
Or maybe you're right, and Guardiola would be doing just as well at Bayern, if he swapped squads (and mainly attackers) with van Gaal.
Maybe it's also Hodgon's fault that England haven't managed to play a possession game like Del Bosque's Spain did.
We don't have players as good as Bayern's but they're not as bad as they look under LVG either. Let's not forget that bringing in Memphis was LVG's decision; he thought Memphis fit his 'philosophy'. He brought in Di Maria himself who is no doubt a fantastic player, yet he couldn't fit in with the philosophy. Ander Herrera is universally rated on this forum but how poorly has LVG treated him? Maybe the problem is LVG. I don't expect Guardiola to work wonders immediately, but I'm sure he'd do a much better job than LVG and would have used the likes of Di Maria and Herrera better.

Kaos

If we take Mourinho now, we might lose out on Pep...not sure if that's a chance I'm willing to take.

P.S. I voted no for Mourinho because I don't like the man and how he goes about his business. Too much of a circus.
Or Pep's not interested, ends up in City, LVG leaves us in a mess by the end of the season and we're taken over by Giggs and watch enviously as our rivals have an ensemble of world class managers.

The bigger risk is waiting on Pep, which unless we have assurances from his camp that he wants in regardless of our final league postion, we shouldn't bank on it and play the safe short term bet with Mourinho.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Being unable to get the United job in these circumstances is a brutally rude way of telling somebody they are not wanted!

Poor old Jose must bee feeling very unloved right now :lol:

vidic blood & sand

Mourinho's teams usually played much better football than we do at the minute.
No they don't. He relies on a strong midfield to stifle the opposition, which is why chelsea struggled this season. Their midfield isn't performing like last season. Matic and Fabregas are poor this season.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
You want to see United defending with 10 men in big games? People are so desperate to get rid of LVG that they refuse to see how Jose's teams play over the course of a season

Godfather

The anti-Mourinho brigade is completely talking out of their arses. Mou does usually what's best for his team to win games. With Madrid they played arguably the best football we've seen in recent years from them. With Chelsea it was different. He does what his team does best. Simple as. Can't be half as shit as what we are seeing now.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The anti-Mourinho brigade is completely talking out of their arses. Mou does usually what's best for his team to win games. With Madrid they played arguably the best football we've seen in recent years from them. With Chelsea it was different. He does what his team does best. Simple as. Can't be half as shit as what we are seeing now.
There are valid arguments on both sides. It's a matter of personal opinion and priorities. Do you really not see what people might have against his appointment?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I do, but not as far as the football he prefers is concerned.
I see. Well, that's just one factor, which I'd agree that is a little overestimated, by the way. It's not the deal breaker for me but it wouldn't be among my first choices in that regard, either. Being better than what we're seeing now (and even that's not a guarantee) is not enough for many people, I'd imagine. Less boring doesn't mean enjoyable.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
He parked the fecking bus when Costa was injured. With all the attaching talent they have, he parked the bus.
He treated his players like shit once the going got tough, treated his staff the same.
The going will be tough from day one at United. He would crumble at United.
Do not want.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I see. Well, that's just one factor, which I'd agree that is a little overestimated, by the way. It's not the deal breaker for me but it wouldn't be among my first choices in that regard, either. Being better than what we're seeing now (and even that's not a guarantee) is not enough for many people, I'd imagine. Less boring doesn't mean enjoyable.
This.