POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bojan11

Not sure if I should be flattered or creeped out by you. Weirdo
What are you going on about? You called him some of the worst stuff imaginable. I think you compared him to Hitler or called him something horrendous that you edited your post. So I wanted to know if you changed your tune Randall?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
What are you going on about? You called him some of the worst stuff imaginable. I think you compared him to Hitler or called him something horrendous that you edited your post. So I wanted to know if you changed your tune Randall?
:nervous:

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Have always liked Jose. After two disasters we have a manager that isn't making us a laughing stock. Though I still question some of his choices. Can't understand why he didn't bring Martial on yesterday.

Vanrouge

A lot of them I imagine. I think a lot of them would still vote no even if we were to win a Premier League and Champions League double.
Obviously can't speak for others, but I'm one of the No voters, and I have to say he's won me over, for the most part. There's the odd game (like Southampton) where my fears of his negative approach seem worryingly correct, but mostly he's been better than I feared. Incidentally, even though I voted No, I was never one of those fans who hated Mourinho for his antics. He's always been pure theatre to me, so that wasn't my issue.

Rusholme Ruffian

Obviously can't speak for others, but I'm one of the No voters, and I have to say he's won me over, for the most part. There's the odd game (like Southampton) where my fears of his negative approach seem worryingly correct, but mostly he's been better than I feared. Incidentally, even though I voted No, I was never one of those fans who hated Mourinho for his antics. He's always been pure theatre to me, so that wasn't my issue.
I think that's the difference, there are some people who (rightly or wrongly) have pure hatred for the man for various reasons, plus some people who were desperate to see us move to a possession based style, and neither of those groups (not everyone of course, but a lot of them) are prepared to give anything but the most grudging credit, and whatever we win, the man, or the perceived 'style', will mean that they're still not happy.

Shiva87

I voted no mainly because I didn't want LVG to get sacked and I was still in denial that his team will come good (ala Ajax). But around March 2016, I would have probably changed my vote.

Jose has definitely won me (and assuming many others) over with the change in attitude that he has brought about to the club.

Also - I think (and maybe this is just confirmation bias) but he seems to have also changed / adapted to suit the United job.

wolvored

It's posters like these who I love to wind up, regarding Jose.
They must feel angry every time we win a game, with Jose in charge.
And to see us joint top must really be irksome.
The funny thing is that Pep is/was worshipped on this forum, despite showing (after last year) that he is a cheque book manager. He can't win unless he has the best player in the World or the most expensive squad in the league.

It's always fun viewing posts we all made, a few years ago, predicting certain things, if only to see who got their predictions wrong/right.
Funny but that exactly like Mourinho. We have had to spend big, and over his career he has spent over a billion on players. You know what you get with either one, both will spend profusely.. The advantage Mourinho has is that he has a plan b and c to bring to a game, Guardiola hasnt.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It happened, I was irked, but I got over it. The idea I sit there, enraged at us winning like @sunama claims is pretty bizarre. I still dislike his character, and most of the questionable stuff he did last season, but as long as he wins us trophies I'll happily grit my teeth, enjoy the success, and wait out his tenure.

The idea of deifying Pep is equally strange, I don't think I was ever hot on him ever.

Rusholme Ruffian

Funny but that exactly like Mourinho. We have had to spend big, and over his career he has spent over a billion on players. You know what you get with either one, both will spend profusely.. The advantage Mourinho has is that he has a plan b and c to bring to a game, Guardiola hasnt.
To be fair he also won the CL with Porto. Pretty stunning achievement.

Rusholme Ruffian

I still dislike his character, and most of the questionable stuff he did last season, but as long as he wins us trophies I'll happily grit my teeth, enjoy the success, and wait out his tenure.
This is what I don't get, why is there any need to 'grit teeth and wait it out'? We're supporters of United first and foremost, if we're doing well then who gives a monkeys what the manager may have done to irk you?

liamp

Not sure what the point is of bumping this now. Neither side has been vindicated really.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is what I don't get, why is there any need to 'grit teeth and wait it out'? We're supporters of United first and foremost, if we're doing well then who gives a monkeys what the manager may have done to irk you?
Which is exactly what I said? I'll wait out his tenure but still enjoy the success? I don't have to like Mourinho as a person to support the football club.

Still I guess 'gritting my teeth' is a bit extreme. I'm not doing that. Mourinho's character and antics is an afterthought when we're doing well these days. I still think he's a twat and whatnot, but if we're doing well and he's not doing anything so insanely silly, then yeah, it's fine.

NYAS

It happened, I was irked, but I got over it. The idea I sit there, enraged at us winning like @sunama claims is pretty bizarre. I still dislike his character, and most of the questionable stuff he did last season, but as long as he wins us trophies I'll happily grit my teeth, enjoy the success, and wait out his tenure.

The idea of deifying Pep is equally strange, I don't think I was ever hot on him ever.
Don't you think his character has changed to become less abrasive? I think it's very clear to see. For example, he strongly defended Shaw after the Burton game when a journo tried to bait him into criticizing him. The only thing he really does these days in that regard is throw in a couple of harmless digs at Pep, Klopp and Wenger in interviews every couple of months.

It seems obvious to me that he's hardly Jose the eye-gouger these days.

wolvored

wish we had hired him straight after ferguson
I think we appreciate him now than we would have if he had have came in then. Every bad result would have been 'Fergie wouldnt have done that', or 'Fergie would have played abc unstead of xyz'. By having the 3 lean years we were at a crossroads, and luckily Mou has sent us up the right road.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Don't you think his character has changed to become less abrasive? I think it's very clear to see. For example, he strongly defended Shaw after the Burton game when a journo tried to bait him into criticizing him. The only thing he really does these days in that regard is throw in a couple of harmless digs at Pep, Klopp and Wenger in interviews every couple of months.

It seems obvious to me that he's hardly Jose the eye-gouger these days.
Yesterday was a good example. He just shrugged his shoulders and leisurely shook the hands of the Southampton coaching team, knowing there was absolutely nothing they could do about it. Even a few of the chaps he shook hands with though it amusing. Brilliant! Having seen replays of it he was incredibly hard done by and probably had a right to kick up more of a fuss than he actually did. But in the post match interview he dismissed it.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I voted no at the time. He was having a terrible time at Chelsea, if you remember. I will admit I would have preferred Pep at the time. Funny enough, it was a Chelsea supporter in the pub who made me doubt my views on him. Jose was gone from them at that point, out of a job. 'Jose is the best', he said. 'It's a fact. He's the most brilliant of them all'. Since then I have warmed to him. Some things I didn't like; his treatment of Basti, and sometimes other people. I think he was a right git when he was young. But he seems to have more or less reinvented himself for the job of his dreams. I support him now. He has grown on me. Feck Pep.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I think we appreciate him now than we would have if he had have came in then. Every bad result would have been 'Fergie wouldnt have done that', or 'Fergie would have played abc unstead of xyz'. By having the 3 lean years we were at a crossroads, and luckily Mou has sent us up the right road.
Brilliant post, spot on, mate.

Vanrouge

I think that's the difference, there are some people who (rightly or wrongly) have pure hatred for the man for various reasons, plus some people who were desperate to see us move to a possession based style, and neither of those groups (not everyone of course, but a lot of them) are prepared to give anything but the most grudging credit, and whatever we win, the man, or the perceived 'style', will mean that they're still not happy.
He's sometimes funny (the laundry hamper thing), sometimes a dick (the eye-gouging and the Eva Carneiro thing), sometimes shrewd, and always knows how to play to the gallery. He generally made me laugh in the more distant past, but I could never hate him after what he did to Liverpool in 2013-14 (even though we'd also been on the other end of his over-celebrations for Porto). He's a larger-than-life character, but yes, I might have voted no but it wasn't because I had an agenda against him, whereas some fans simply hate him.

SAFicus

Yeah I reckon he'd do pretty well taking over from Louie.

Think the title needs changing or we need a new thread.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
It's posters like these who I love to wind up, regarding Jose.
They must feel angry every time we win a game, with Jose in charge.
And to see us joint top must really be irksome.
The funny thing is that Pep is/was worshipped on this forum, despite showing (after last year) that he is a cheque book manager. He can't win unless he has the best player in the World or the most expensive squad in the league.

It's always fun viewing posts we all made, a few years ago, predicting certain things, if only to see who got their predictions wrong/right.
No, I'm delighted how well we're doing under him and how he's changed quite a lot since being our boss, much less of an obnoxious prick than he used to be (though that could be the rose tinted glasses of him being our boss I guess).
I still worry about his abilities to build success long-term, but he genuinely seems to want to be here longer than 3 years and is giving Rashford and Martial there fair share of opportunities (though not a fan of seeing TMF disappearing, but still could come back and be useful here). He does genuinely seem to understand what fans expect of someone managing our club. He reminds me of Fergie in a lot of ways, which isn't something I'd have ever said before (would anyone?). He's won me around for sure and I think he deserves credit for what he's done so far.

Being concerned about something doesn't mean you can't have your mind changed. Never did I say "if he comes here I hope we get relegated and I'm gonna be a City fan". Or are we not allowed to have differing opinions? Shall I go through your post history and find times you've got it wrong?

For the record, I dislike Pep as much if not more now than I did pre-United Jose. I was never a fan and think City is by far his biggest challenge (which he is tackling by simply throwing large fists of money as every position), he's not achieved much more than what other competent managers would have done in the same situation. At the same time, while I don't want him here right now, if he did come here I'd obviously want us to do well under him.

Last edited:

Adebesi

No, I'm delighted how well we're doing under him and how he's changed quite a lot since being our boss, much less of an obnoxious prick than he used to be (though that could be the rose tinted glasses of him being our boss I guess).
I still worry about his abilities to build success long-term, but he genuinely seems to want to be here longer than 3 years and is giving Rashford and Martial there fair share of opportunities (though not a fan of seeing TMF disappearing, but still could come back and be useful here). He does genuinely seem to understand what fans expect of someone managing our club. He reminds me of Fergie in a lot of ways, which isn't something I'd have ever said before (would anyone?). He's won me around for sure and I think he deserves credit for what he's done so far.

Being concerned about something doesn't mean you can't have your mind changed. Never did I say "if he comes here I hope we get relegated and I'm gonna be a City fan". Or are we not allowed to have differing opinions? Shall I go through your post history and find times you've got it wrong?
I always saw similarities between SAF and Mourinho - the siege mentality, attracting attention to himself to shield players. Though of course there were always differences as well.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Poll closed so that people don't change their votes.

SalfordRed1960

Pretty much this, but I don't grit teeth.

His antics really did not do a lot for me, hence not wanting that type of person as United manager. Last year he was the Jose we all know and it p*ssed me off big time, this year he has been mild, so I am glad that has changed. Be interesting to see how he handles it when we go through a bad patch.

The youth factor was also a concern. He took on Rashford and Martial who had excellent first seasons. They were largely poor last year, due initially him not playing them, he went for his trusted end product stars first and then started introducing them. By only introducing them piecemeal they gained no form or confidence and had a poor second season. This season, not sure what his approach is. So jury still out.

The final issue was always the playing style, the close shop too early, less entertaining style. We are quicker on the counter, but we still do not have the fluidity that say some of our competitors have. We have become hard to beat, which helps, but we have almost changed places with Liverpool of the 70s and 80s. We win without being glamorous. Not sure if he has it in him to be the entertainer.

So I haven't changed my concerns of him.

Those who shouted out loud for him, were primarily basing this on his ability to win trophies. Well he has done that, and loads of credit to him. I am not really sure people said they didn't want him because he wouldn't win anything. I also think the brigade who wanted Pep or Klopp are probably not so sure now.

He is the manager and will get the suppport from the fans. At least on the forum we don't have to read the constant negativity comments we had in LVGs period.