Poll: How should the world deal with ISIS ?

What should we do about ISIS ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
How would elections help exactly?
Americans just don't get that parts of the world don't want democracy at this time, they want to support their ethnic group or religion irrespective of numbers.
We need to encourage and help them where they do, but learn to respect reality where they don't.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
And what happens if all the parties are organized along sectarian and/or ethnic lines, people vote en bloc for 'their' party, and the winner decides that getting the most votes means their sect/tribe gets to lord it over everyone else?
They probably will do just that, which is why the process will need to be co-managed by an international mandate for a generation at least.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
They probably will do just that, which is why the process will need to be co-managed by an international mandate for a generation at least.
You know the idea of an 'internationally managed mandate' has extremely negative connotations in that part of the world, right? Any international troops sent there to enforce it will immediately become targets for anyone belonging to the 'losers' in your elections. What countries are going to volunteer their young guys for that task?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You know the idea of an 'internationally managed mandate' has extremely negative connotations in that part of the world, right? Any international troops sent there to enforce it will immediately become targets for anyone belonging to the 'losers' in your elections. What countries are going to volunteer their young guys for that task?
We're well beyond that point now. We're now in an existential vacuum where its either stabilize Syria (and Iraq) or face more attacks in the west. This will require a UNSCR mandating the removal of ISIS, negotiations between Assad and the non IS opposition, and a roadmap towards credible and inclusive elections. The peacekeeping force would be UN with mainly regional Middle Eastern forces participating.

John_Jensen

That would be brilliant if it happens. Annihilate them, and with it, the legend that Muslims will get united under a caliph and then destroy Jews and Christians.

Which begs the question: before the caliphate will destroy Christians, aren't them supposed to have an alliance with them to defeat Jews?
I believe that is part of deal yeah. Apparently the final showdown in Jerusalem with the anti-Messiah will occur after the battle with the armies of Rome in the period of the 12th caliph, Baghdadi is the 8th legitimate caliph by their calculations.

Shrek

FergiesRedNose
I was working night shift with a Muslim colleague on Friday evening when the news of this atrocity broke. He was heart broken for the loss of innocent life and also for fear of reprisals against his family. His response was he is sick of feeling guilty just because he's a Muslim, and he said let them have their own State and build a massive wall around it.

I understand what he's trying to say, he's a Muslim, he has a loving family he's a nice guy, and he's sick to death of this. It's the innocent feeling guilty scenario where the guilty don't give a feck.

My condolences go out to the families and fiends of the victims, I also believe we all need to actually spare a thought for how the whole ISIS thing is effecting the wider Muslim community who mainly just want to get on with their life, just like the rest of us.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I do feel religion needs to end. Too much negativity and violence comes from it.

Revan

Assumptionman
I believe that is part of deal yeah. Apparently the final showdown in Jerusalem with the anti-Messiah will occur after the battle with the armies of Rome in the period of the 12th caliph, Baghdadi is the 8th legitimate caliph by their calculations.
But with them attacking West, how are they thinking that we'll become friends in order to destroy all the Jews?

How modest of Baghdadi! Why he didn't announce to be Mahdi himself?

RedFish

Defeating the IS on the battlefield is trivial for any major power. The problem is holding the territory afterwards, it would be constant guerilla warfare, same as Afghanistan or indeed Iraq.
And therein lies the problem.
Its not being forced on anyone, but in the security vacuum of a 5 year long civil war, there has to be a functional government if Syria is going to escape the endless cycles of violence. The international community has to create a system that allows Syrian citizens a sense of ownership over their own affairs. That won't happen under authoritarian dictatorship.
Point taken, but now you're talking about regime change. We better be clear about the reasons we are going to war.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I do feel religion needs to end. Too much negativity and violence comes from it.
It also needlessly fragments human society based on ancient bullshit pseudo-fairytales. I think the two dominant socio-cultural strains of the 21st century will be Atheism and Veganism.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
And therein lies the problem.

Point taken, but now you're talking about regime change. We better be clear about the reasons we are going to war.
I think Assad would have to be brought into the process to negotiate with the opposition. Short of leaving the country, its the only way things would work.

RedTiger

Half mast
I was working night shift with a Muslim colleague on Friday evening when the news of this atrocity broke. He was heart broken for the loss of innocent life and also for fear of reprisals against his family. His response was he is sick of feeling guilty just because he's a Muslim, and he said let them have their own State and build a massive wall around it.

I understand what he's trying to say, he's a Muslim, he has a loving family he's a nice guy, and he's sick to death of this. It's the innocent feeling guilty scenario where the guilty don't give a feck.

My condolences go out to the families and fiends of the victims, I also believe we all need to actually spare a thought for how the whole ISIS thing is effecting the wider Muslim community who mainly just want to get on with their life, just like the rest of us.
It's making some of us a little schizophrenic, anxious and very paranoid.

John_Jensen

But with them attacking West, how are they thinking that we'll become friends in order to destroy all the Jews?

How modest of Baghdadi! Why he didn't announce to be Mahdi himself?
The bolded part i have no idea tbh.

Apparently tensions were rising within factions of ISIS about the failure to appoint a caliph. To do so was seen to be a religious obligation, to not do so was sinful. Baghdadi fit the bill on that one.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
That's completely unrealistic so no point in even suggesting
It shouldn't be. Living your life by the laws of a book written thousands of years a go is stupid. There is a reason why religious texts are constantly reprimanded by atheist. It's because they are a product of their time.

It won't change though because religion makes people feel safe.

2cents

Scout
We're well beyond that point now. We're now in an existential vacuum where its either stabilize Syria (and Iraq) or face more attacks in the west. This will require a UNSCR mandating the removal of ISIS, negotiations between Assad and the non IS opposition, and a roadmap towards credible and inclusive elections. The peacekeeping force would be UN with mainly regional Middle Eastern forces participating.
Assuming you could:

(a) get the UNSC to agree on this (not possible)
(b) get Assad and the jihadists of the non-IS opposition negotiating (not possible)
(c) somehow convince troops from neighbouring countries to act as impartial peacekeepers/bystanders (not possible) and
(d) manage to hold 'credible and inclusive elections' in a country with millions of displaced people and a completely destroyed infrastructure (not possible)

it is still a recipe for further chaos.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It shouldn't be. Living your life by the laws of a book written thousands of years a go is stupid. There is a reason why religious texts are constantly reprimanded by atheist. It's because they are a product of their time.

It won't change though because religion makes people feel safe.
People can believe whatever the feck they want and shouldn't be told either way

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Assuming you could:

(a) get the UNSC to agree on this (not possible)
(b) get Assad and the jihadists of the non-IS opposition negotiating (not possible)
(c) somehow convince troops from neighbouring countries to act as impartial peacekeepers (not possible) and
(d) manage to hold 'credible and inclusive elections' in a country with millions of displaced people and a completely destroyed infrastructure (not possible)

it is still a recipe for further chaos.
a) Pretty sure Putin would play along in an anti IS campaign, especially as it would partially bring him back into the fold from his current parriah status with the west. China would also participate or at a minimum abstain.

b) Assuming the Russians participate, they could influence Assad to participate in negotiations with opposition members, brokered by the UN.

c) A tall order, but certainly doable. If sectarianism is a problem, the UN can contribute peacekeeping troops in flashpoint parts of the country.

d) http://news.yahoo.com/syria-meeting-one-month-review-progress-statement-173615967.html

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Killing people in the name of no God. People that deny the nonexistence of the God.

Said no one ever. :drool:
Actually there are some radical atheist who seriously talk of the need to lock believers up due to beleiving in a god being a sign of insanity. Or talk of locking up parents for child abuse for passing their beliefs into their young children.

But more importantly the tongue out smiley should be s huge clue to how serious my original comment was.

2cents

Scout
a) Pretty sure Putin would play along in an anti IS campaign, especially as it would partially bring him back into the fold from his current parriah status with the west. China would also participate or at a minimum abstain.

b) Assuming the Russians participate, they could influence Assad to participate in negotiations with opposition members, brokered by the UN.

c) A tall order, but certainly doable. If sectarianism is a problem, the UN can contribute peacekeeping troops in flashpoint parts of the country.

d) http://news.yahoo.com/syria-meeting-one-month-review-progress-statement-173615967.html
Putin's condition for (a) would be (is) that Assad stays in power. I actually think the Americans (or more accurately the Obama admin) are coming around to this position, but it negates the need for (b) and (d). At this stage, an Assad victory or some kind of partition is looking most likely. As for (c), no sane government is going to want their troops involved in this mess, you really think the Brazilians, Indians, Nigerians, Irish, whoever are gonna like seeing their young guys coming home in coffins?

I also find it strange that your hopes for Syria are essentially dependent on the good will of a regime (Russia's) that you spend half your time vilifying on here.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Putin's condition for (a) would be (is) that Assad stays in power. I actually think the Americans (or more accurately the Obama admin) are coming around to this position, but it negates the need for (b) and (d). At this stage, an Assad victory or some kind of partition is looking most likely. As for (c), no sane government is going to want their troops involved in this mess, you really think the Brazilians, Indians, Nigerians, Irish, whoever are gonna like seeing their young guys coming home in coffins?

I also find it strange that your hopes for Syria are essentially dependent on the good will of a regime (Russia's) that you spend half your time vilifying on here.
I think the calculus has changed since he started bombing. Its now less so about Assad and Russian influence and more about getting back at ISIS and getting back in the good graces of the west.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Americans just don't get that parts of the world don't want democracy at this time, they want to support their ethnic group or religion irrespective of numbers.
We need to encourage and help them where they do, but learn to respect reality where they don't.
Not to mention that many in more rural communities who don't know much about global affairs probably just don't really get the whole concept of democracy. I remember reading before that it was a particular problem for the US in Afghanistan, when they'd encounter people who didn't know about 9/11 and had no conception of the whole idea of a large, central state.

RedFish

I question the idea that IS can be eliminated anyhow. To utilize special forces and the like is one thing but to go gung ho and hope for the best seems like playing russian roulette (excuse the pun) with the security of our homelands. I have an uneasy feeling that too many are seeking a war that could be disastrous for all concerned.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I question the idea that IS can be eliminated anyhow. To utilize special forces and the like is one thing but to go gung ho and hope for the best seems like playing russian roulette (excuse the pun) with the security of our homelands. I have an uneasy feeling that too many are seeking a war that could be disastrous for all concerned.
I don't think it's possible to eliminate them completely, in that their ideology and disgusting beliefs aren't going to go away for a long time, but military action would manage to prevent them from being an entity who actually has proper territorial control anymore. The major problem, however, would be that another group simply takes their place, and that we end up with a shocking number of civilian casualties as we go about our aim of destroying them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Eliminating them may be a tall order, but taking the battle to their turf, degrading and destabilizing their ability to organize, train, and execute attacks would be enough to keep them off balance to where they can't do any more damage. The problem with the current approach is that it doesn't address their ability to train and launch attacks from within Syria, much as Al-Qaeda were doing in Afghanistan pre-911.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Can somebody shed some light on how IS is able to sustain control over a total area in which 10 million people live?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's been going on non stop for 1300 years so you'll need to be innovative.

What strategy do you propose.
Chop this part of the Middle East up into US backed city states, each with their own military and large militarised borders

RedFish

I don't think it's possible to eliminate them completely, in that their ideology and disgusting beliefs aren't going to go away for a long time, but military action would manage to prevent them from being an entity who actually has proper territorial control anymore. The major problem, however, would be that another group simply takes their place, and that we end up with a shocking number of civilian casualties as we go about our aim of destroying them.
Reducing them in number may not reduce their ability to target the West. It's the strategists, the leaders that are the dangerous ones. To that end, I think the real challenge is the intelligence battle needed to minimize their ability to cause us direct harm. We need a coherent strategy to make it difficult for cells to operate in Europe. I fear the act of going to war will perversely be the start of a new era of terrorism and the fear of it.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Can somebody shed some light on how IS is able to sustain control over a total area in which 10 million people live?
By chopping anyone who disagrees with them up into blittle peices

2cents

Scout

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
There needs to be a political backbone to tell the leading mideast nations to take more responsibility. As much as I feel we are close to point where western nations will likely intervene actively in terms of tackling ISIS threat, the pressure has to be for countries to take more responsibilities in their backyard as well. The onus is to make them come to a middleground on difference between the different sects of the nations on opposite fences and work on sorting out ever convoluting mess.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'm so glad I'm not in a position of power.
I'd be considering nuking them away, and by that becoming just as much of a terrorist as they are.
At the very least I know I'm mental...

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The difference is that these countries had civil societies that were strong and intact. Basic stuff, like respect for the rule of law, government structures, trade and commerce were already in place. That's very different from what are essentially failed states rife with poverty.

That is the big problem with exporting democracy. You can't start off with a democracy and everything else will fall into place. The foundations need to be laid first, then democracy has a chance of working out. Without those foundations it inevitably ends in chaos.
I completely agree. You can't implement democracy without a willing, invested public because they can't build the rest of it without people who want it to succeed.

The time is coming to go in to Syria and remove IS, and it needs to be done without one hand tied behind our back. Ordinarily i'd be against another invasion but they have gotten so far out of control the region needs resetting. Other groups will rise from the ashes, but the conditions will be different and I don't believe they will all unite and hold power to the extent IS have managed to do.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This.

Where's the option to go after the countries which have elements actively funding and enabling ISIS, the same countries the West are allies with.
That option isn't on the table, hasn't it been evident since ages now ? Everyone is beating around the bush imo.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
That would be brilliant if it happens. Annihilate them, and with it, the legend that Muslims will get united under a caliph and then destroy Jews and Christians.

Which begs the question: before the caliphate will destroy Christians, aren't them supposed to have an alliance with them to defeat Jews?
Muslims are supposed to follow Jesus Christ upon his return.