Poor players in great teams - those who were so far out of their depth you felt sorry for them?

Redcy

The funny thing about Gravesen is that technically he wasn't poor at all. He was a really good passer and was very creative at Everton. The problem was is that Madrid mistakenly thought he was some sort of midfielder enforcer when in reality he couldn't tackle at all.

There is a running joke and funny rumour at Everton that the Madrid scouts confused Gravesen to his partner at the time Lee Carsley who was small , bald and stocky like Gravesen. Carsley was the real midfield enforcer in the team and exactly the type of midfielder Madrid should of been signing after the sale of Makelele. Somebody with much more quality than Carsley though clearly.

Funny enough even Moyes and Graveson have acknowledged the rumour :

"Everyone used to confuse him with Lee Carsley, so when Real Madrid looked for him at Everton, we said is it the right one? Is it Carsley or is it Tommy Gravesen?" smiled Moyes.
"Because they were both bald and all that. Tommy was mental, in a good way. He was a good player. He could control the game.

"He could hold the ball and we loved him. We could not believe it, you know?"

“I heard that,” Gravesen admitted in an interview with the Telegraph a decade ago. “And you know what? If they had signed Carsley instead of me, I wouldn’t have been surprised. He did a tremendous job for Everton. Tremendous.”
Thats awesome

Irrational.

Kieran Richardson - 2 PL titles with us but his subsequent clubs show the standard he was at.

Likewise PL winning Alexander Büttner in Sir Alex's final season.

Redcy

This is one of those that seems like it should be easy but really isnt. I was thinking of players who were "out of their class".

Someone like Erik Meijer for Liverpool, definitely not a great team, turned up at 30 for no good reason played 24 games and scored one goal.

iHicksy

I always thought that in those England teams in a midfield that could boast Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Hargreaves that Jenas was out of place.

Mangala at city is a big one for me.

Falcao for that title winning Chelsea team.

Redcy

Remi Garde Arsenal, mainly brought in to help Vieira?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The German World Cup winning team of 2014 had quite a few names who you would look at now and think 'uh?'

Mustafi, Erik Durm, Christoph Kramer but, chief among them, Kevin Grosskreutz.

He's also won 2 Bundesliga titles, a DFB Cup and a champions league runners up medal with the great Dortmund side under Klopp. He always looked like so out of place with his lack of technical quality whenever he was on the pitch, was really only there for his work rate.

The fact that he's only made 10 appearances in the top division after leaving Dortmund in 2015, and is currently playing in the third division eventhough still 31, says a bit about his true level of ability.
Kramer was a solid backup midfield destroyer, who played an important part for Favre in Gladbach.
Großkreutz and Durm were Dortmund's fullback pair for the 13/14 season. Individually they were on the weak end of the squad, but they weren't surprise inclusions.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Kramer was a solid backup midfield destroyer, who played an important part for Favre in Gladbach.
Großkreutz and Durm were Dortmund's fullback pair for the 13/14 season. Individually they were on the weak end of the squad, but they weren't surprise inclusions.
I'm not arguing against Kramer being in the squad, we had an injury crises with injuries to the Bender brothers and Gundogan before the tournament, so he had to come in for midfield. He did have a good season at Gladbach as well before the WC, just saying that in the long run he won't really be remembered as a major player and would surprise many people to see he was part of the squad.

Eric Durm had a good season with Dortmund in 13/14. My point about Grosskreutz was more around his career with Dortmund as well, where he played over 200 games but always looked so inferior to the rest of his teammates.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Pascal Cygan at Arsenal. He was not a regular starter but even fringe players at good sides like Arsenal were in the early 00s should be better than him. One of the worst Arsenal players to get a PL medal I can think of.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ah christ, that's an awful example
You rated him then? I mean again in context to the midfield at the time. Perhaps it's a little unfair given he did have injuries but then it's in the context of this thread. Didn't play more than 10 games in any of the three title winning seasons.

After Man. United he went to Bolton and didn't play much and then wound up at Doncaster in the championship.

Uniquim

Granted he didn't play much for us, 5 games + pre-season, but Zoran Tosic surely. Felt sorry for him when he was at United. He was bullied off the ball so easily.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have to say Gignac when he was coming on for France at euro 2016. Nearly scored in the final IIRC but he left the journeyman striker to score the winner glory to Eder.

fps

I disagree. Blomqvist had a very good first season. His career at United ended due to a knee injury that kept him out of football for two years, nothing to do with his performances.
Yeah harsh on him he had a lot of potential to a be a really good player for United.

I'm struggling to think of one tbh. Easier at international level, Guivarch for instance.

POF

The Real Madrid defence at the start of the Galactico era really stands out. If ever there was an unbalanced team that was it. "We don't need Nesta, we have Pavon".

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bebe was woefully out of his depth at United.

Andersonson

Players that fitted in this category but came out if it.

Phil Neville
Darren Fletcher
Lucas (Liverpool)
The hell you on about??

I"ve also seen Matip mentioned... Do you guys watch football? None of theese are out of their debt...

Jordi Cruyff for us is a shout. Or maybe Borini at Sunderland

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Oleg Luzhny and Igor Stepanovs at Arsenal
Luzhny was much better than Stepanovs and a good fullback/wingback in his prime, but moved to Arsenal too late. He'd been playing full seasons since the late '80s which is a long time at that era for most players that relied a lot on their athleticism and great workrate rather than being someone that could fall back on great technique. Especially on the often poor quality pitches in Ukraine that caused a lot of injuries. He was starting a decline and his body was starting to break down with a lot of injuries by the time he moved, but he'd still managed to mostly play very well in the CL campaigns so it probably lured Arsenal into thinking they were getting a player with a lot more left in the tank than was really the case.

I think he was a player that would have been stylistically well suited to having a very good career in England if he'd moved in the early 90s.

Revan

Assumptionman
Players that fitted in this category but came out if it.

Phil Neville
Darren Fletcher
Lucas (Liverpool)
Especially when he got injured. With every week him being injured, his status among Liverpool fans grew.

IRELANDUNITED

You rated him then? I mean again in context to the midfield at the time. Perhaps it's a little unfair given he did have injuries but then it's in the context of this thread. Didn't play more than 10 games in any of the three title winning seasons.

After Man. United he went to Bolton and didn't play much and then wound up at Doncaster in the championship.

I always thought he done OK, was never a superstar but I don't recall him ever letting us down, he done a job for us - much like Phil Neville used to in midfield, so I think it was a little unfair to say he was a poor player.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Bebe is by far the best example and maybe the bench mark to compare others too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bebe is by far the best example and maybe the bench mark to compare others too.
Bebe was just an odd one all round really and didn't really play much. Obertan is a better shout from the same era really, was pretty poor at Newcastle aswell.

How about David Bellion? Didn't score much at Sunderland but you took a punt on him. Now a designer.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Bebe has a Premier League championship to his name from 2011. Surely no one can top that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bebe has a Premier League championship to his name from 2011. Surely no one can top that.
Did he really play in that many games? I can remember the mentioned Wolves game as I was in the pub that day with a Man. United mate watching that and also a Villa game on a different tv. Mate nudged me when he saw Bebe coming on so we watched for 10 minutes as he kept firing crosses out of play and then I think he was subbed off.

I assumed after that he was just limited to cup games.

El Jefe

Dida at AC Milan
Arbeloa in Jose's Madrid team. Poor player is harsh but he stood out as the average player on the team.

Redcy

Bebe was just an odd one all round really and didn't really play much. Obertan is a better shout from the same era really, was pretty poor at Newcastle aswell.

How about David Bellion? Didn't score much at Sunderland but you took a punt on him. Now a designer.
Decent shout too