Poor players in great teams - those who were so far out of their depth you felt sorry for them?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You know the type? The player who basically can't help but let the whole side down because he's simply not good enough?

A perfect example would be Serginho in the Brazil 1982 World Cup xi. For those that don't know, Brazil '82's midfield and build up play is in the conversation with the greatest of all-time, outright. Serginho, however, although not a bad player, was hideously out of his depth and is essentially blamed for that Brazil side not winning the World Cup. Serginho, as you can see from his goal record and ratio, was no slouch, but in amongst an all-time level team, he looked like a donkey.

Another example would be Massimo Taibi. The poor fellow 'serendipitously' thrust into the poisoned chalice job of stepping into Peter Schmeichel's boots and gloves at a time when Manchester United were treble-winning gods. One from two would be bad enough, but both together was a spotlight so glaring, Taibi's confidence got shot to pieces.

There are loads of examples like these: who are standouts for you?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
A modern example is possibly Otamendi at City?

They are full of players who can play football and are extremely comfortable with the ball. Even those that aren’t the greatest footballers are top athletes.

Otamendi is neither a ball playing defender or a supreme athlete and over the last few seasons has been shown up again and again, to the point where you must wonder whether his teammates blame him for certain results at times.

He is a costly outlier and has cost them time and time again. Possibly a useful defender for a mid table side, but a massive weak point in a team like City’s.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

They are full of players who can play football and are extremely comfortable with the ball. Even those that aren’t the greatest footballers are top athletes.

Otamendi is neither a ball playing defender or a supreme athlete and over the last few seasons has been shown up again and again, to the point where you must wonder whether his teammates blame him for certain results at times.

He is a costly outlier and has cost them time and time again. Possibly a useful defender for a mid table side, but a massive weak point in a team like City’s.
This post would only be valid in this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He was a starter in a title winning team wasn't he? Odd example.

Maluco

He was a starter in a title winning team wasn't he? Odd example.
He was very well protected in title winning seasons with a Fernandinho shaped shield. Left to his own devices in a Pep possession team, he has been shown up to be out of his depth in my opinion.

You will find it very difficult to find “great teams” who haven’t won anything. Truly great teams win things.

Without a world class partner and a world class protector in front of him, he has been shown as ill equipped to play in a Guardiola set-up and has let his team down on various occasions, per OP

Denis' cuff

John Aston

fits the brief perfectly. The only thing that was his saving grace was that his game was very simple. Hug the touch line and stretch defences. Leave the fancy stuff to Law, Best and Charlton. A good foil for them but embarrassingly out of his depth sometimes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was very well protected in title winning seasons with a Fernandinho shaped shield. Left to his own devices in a Pep possession team, he has been shown up to be out of his depth in my opinion.

You will find it very difficult to find “great teams” who haven’t won anything. Truly great teams win things.

Without a world class partner and a world class protector in front of him, he has been shown as ill equipped to play in a Guardiola set-up and has let his team down on various occasions, per OP
A player who was a starter in a comfortable PL title win cannot be out of his depth. Maybe be didn't maintain the standard but regardless that's not being out of you from depth.

Redcy

Tom cleverly - harsh?
Obertan - did he have any good games?

Dannic

Supports
Liverpool
Djimi Traore.

That's CL winning Traore. He of the roulette own goal. Barely looked like a footballer.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Pretty much every time someone in Madrid went mental and decided to inexplicably sign a midtable PL clogger.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pretty much every time someone in Madrid went mental and decided to inexplicably sign a midtable PL clogger.
Gravesen was definitely weird. Faubert was so comfortable that he fell asleep on the bench, so I don't know if he fits with the OP.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Anyway, isn’t this a running joke in reference to David May?

Maluco

He has no clue. In those 2 title winning seasons he was a major contributor in City's defensive record being so good.
Haha no clue. I watched games. He was always grabby and, I am sure for a lot of people that watched them, he was the one that you would point out as a potential weakness.

We shouldn’t have to state “in my opinion” with every post on an Internet forum, but because of posts like these, it seems we need to.

IN MY OPINION, from watching their games, I always felt he was often the most limited footballer in the eleven and not in the same class as his teammates.

A good defender on occasion, but IN MY OPINION, limited as a footballer with far greater players around him. In a Pep Guardiola team, he was an outlier in that sense.

Removing those players this season would seem to suggest that it’s at least a potential argument.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Giroud and Guivarch for France in their two World Cup wins. Defensive strikers.

youngrell

Felt a bit sorry for Forlan for a while. I remember one game where all I could hear on the TV was Keane shouting DIEGO every 5 minutes.

Obviously came into his own later on.

ReddBalls

Mustafi for Germany in 2014. The whole team's performance dropped every time he came on.

Luke1995

Torres started his run of terrible form in the World Cup 2010, Spain's greatest moment.

He was mostly used as a substitute. Had he started more games, it is doubtful they would have won the tournament.

It was shocking because his 2009-10 season was very good, and he had been a key part of the Euro 2008 winning squad, but he looked so out of his depth in 2010, while the team were playing beautiful football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He has no clue. In those 2 title winning seasons he was a major contributor in City's defensive record being so good.
I can see where he's coming from, was terrible for Argentina in the world cup which came straight after that record title win.

He's an average CB imo, Laporte is much better for example. It's similar to when Lovren comes in for Van Dijk and suddenly Liverpool are a little more vulnerable in defence like the Watford defeat.