Music Pop punk/emo

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Also check out Real Friends and Knuckle Puck if you haven't already. This thread is right up my street.
Yeah I've heard a few of their songs too on Spotify, more to check out!

Still one of my favourite albums.
I love that song, the earlier version from Clarity is my favourite

Also love Crush from that album

:drool:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I really need to listen to Wonder Years... especially considering I love the lead singers side project (Aaron West and the Roaring Twenties)

But yeah, this thread would be right up my street... basically the music of my youth (that I still listen too... regularly).

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I've never really listened to Saves The Day, but I just checked out Through Being Cool and thought it was really good. I was going to say it sounds like classic era pop punk/emo but that's probably because it is :lol:

Shoulder to the Wheel is great :drool:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I've never really listened to Saves The Day, but I just checked out Through Being Cool and thought it was really good. I was going to say it sounds like classic era pop punk/emo but that's probably because it is :lol:

Shoulder to the Wheel is great :drool:
I loved Through Being Cool back in high school. Played it til I was sick of it, then started to prefer Stay What You Are, which is a different sound. Less of a skate-punk sort of thing going on.

If you dig Through Being Cool, then you'll probably be into Lifetime who Saves The Day certainly borrowed quite a bit from.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Just looked up Saves The Day. I haven't listened to or heard about them in ages, only to learn they've released 6 albums since the last one I heard.... Six!

Through Being Cool is 20 years old. Shiiiit.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I loved Through Being Cool back in high school. Played it til I was sick of it, then started to prefer Stay What You Are, which is a different sound. Less of a skate-punk sort of thing going on.

If you dig Through Being Cool, then you'll probably be into Lifetime who Saves The Day certainly borrowed quite a bit from.

Yeah those are cool, I'll have to add them to my "to listen to" list!

No Blink182?
Take Off Your Pants and Jacket was one of my first CDs back in the day, I'll always love that album :drool:

For other Blink related stuff Box Car Racer and +44 have some good songs, too.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Could never get into Blink 182 or Boxcar Racer. I did quite like the lead single from that +44 album, but the rest of it was a bit bland

This is the only Blink 182 song I like. Total banger.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I'd only heard a couple of Neck Deep songs before but I like this album, just listening for the first time

Heavy Lies I especially like.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
What a thread! @Olly Gunnar Solskjær you have a great taste in music.

There's a couple at the top of my head I recommend, one being Adventures (The singer is more famous for her other band Code Orange where she's the guitarist) They only have one album but it's pretty good.

My second one is Basement, elements of emo and grunge. Bloody good live.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
What a thread! @Olly Gunnar Solskjær you have a great taste in music.

There's a couple at the top of my head I recommend, one being Adventures (The singer is more famous for her other band Code Orange where she's the guitarist) They only have one album but it's pretty good.

My second one is Basement, elements of emo and grunge. Bloody good live.
Haha thank you :D

I'm listening to Adventures' Supersonic Home at the moment, I like it so far! I'll check out Basement afterwards.

HarlanEiffler

Menzingers are terrific... as is that whole album.

'Lookers' is probably the song i've played most in the last year.
Oh yeah, I listened to them a lot, although I liked their earlier stuff (how cliche) more. Plus they were such a letdown the last time I saw them live. Shame.
The first band I posted (Captain we're...) is fronted by the brother of the Menzinger's singer.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Oh yeah, I listened to them a lot, although I liked their earlier stuff (how cliche) more. Plus they were such a letdown the last time I saw them live. Shame.
Same. They went a bit too soft for me, so there's 3 or 4 great songs on the latest album.

I've seen them twice but both times they put on an incredible show.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Speaking of Menzingers, when I saw them, The Dirty Nil opened for them and blew them and the Flatliners off the stage. One of the best live bands I've seen. They released a new album late last year, which is decent, but the first three tracks are mega. This is those three:

Not all that emo, they've got more of a Replacements meets Weezer thing going on.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
That along with Finch's Letters To You and Head Automica's Beating Hearts were staples at my local rock club about 10 years ago.
Yep I reckon I must have gone to the exact same type of place!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Definitely would have to say New Found Glory are my favourite of all the "proper" long term pop punk bands. So much of their newer stuff is just as enjoyable as the old, IMO

Havak

Pokemon master
Was hoping someone would create a thread on Pop-Punk as it has been my favourite genre of music since I was 14-15 and I am one of the few in my friend groups that never 'grew out of it'. I've been listening to it for 15+ years now. I'll name drop some of the best bands I've listened to in this genre in bold so you guys can look them up if you wish!

I started with the likes of Fall Out Boy with their 'Take This to Your Grave' and 'From Under the Cork Tree' albums (still better than anything they've released in the last 10+ years), blink-182, and New Found Glory as these guys were kind of the pioneers for the genre. From there I discovered the likes of Simple Plan, The All-American Rejects, Allister, All Time Low, Alkaline Trio, The Academy Is..., Brand New, Bowling for Soup, Cartel, Farewell, Fenix TX, Hit the Lights, Houston Calls, Jimmy Eat World, Kids in Glass Houses, Mayday Parade, Motion City Soundtrack, MxPx, My Chemical Romance (to a degree), No Use for a Name, Paramore, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, The Starting Line, Taking Back Sunday, We the Kings, and YouMeAtSix.

Most of those bands, it was their earlier records that stuck to this kind of genre before 'evolving' into what I'd class as a more mainstream kind of rock. YouMeAtSix being a massive example of that.

In the more recent years I have been listening to more newly formed bands, or at least bands that aren't as old as the majority of the above but are still new to me. State Champs really kicked things off again for me, they are so good and probably my favourite band of the last 7-8 years. From here (thanks to things like Spotify) I have discovered a lot more in this genre such as Broadside, Trash Boat, Neck Deep, WSTR, We Were Sharks, Between You & Me, As It Is, The Story So Far, Knuckle Puck, Post Season, Chin Up Kid, The Wonder Years, and Chunk! No Captain Chunk!

I would suggest anyone interested in the Pop-Punk genre give some of these guys a listen. If you want to know any stand-out tracks (IMO) just holla!

onemanarmy

as these guys were kind of the pioneers for the genre.
Descendents were the pioneers of that particular sub genre imo, and they were about 20 years earlier.

Been listening to punk for about 25 years, but I've never really gotten into so-called "pop-punk". All a bit too cheesy and soft for me. Unless you call jawbreaker, older alkaline trio and jimmy eat world pop-punk, which I wouldn't but I've seen them mentioned in other replies.

Going to see Jawbreaker next week, finally!

HarlanEiffler

Descendents were the pioneers of that particular sub genre imo, and they were about 20 years earlier.

Been listening to punk for about 25 years, but I've never really gotten into so-called "pop-punk". All a bit too cheesy and soft for me. Unless you call jawbreaker, older alkaline trio and jimmy eat world pop-punk, which I wouldn't but I've seen them mentioned in other replies.

Going to see Jawbreaker next week, finally!
Descendents are the best there ever were and ever will be in the whole pop-punk universe. Absolute Giants.

I listened to pop-punk when I was a teenager, and still listen to it sometimes today. I get the cheesy and soft critique and share a lot of it. I am into Hardcore Punk and neighbouring genres more than anything else, but on some sunny days, pop-punk still makes sense.

Also the "newer" generation got rid of some of the cheesy stuff, especially those that grew out of hardcore, such as Title Fight, Polar Bear Club or (pre-Cody) Joyce Manor. Others, such as The Wonder Years, are cheesy af, but they make up for it (imo) with good songwriting and lyrics that go beyond the boring cliché.