Portsmouth youth players allegedly racially abuse England players in group chat

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
They should be punished and educated, but it seems a bit unfair to cancel them forever. Teenagers tend to be stupid, in the wrong environment, they tend to do incredibly bad things, it's not a reason to ruin their life for it. I know plenty of teenagers who racially abused people in their youth but changed for the better once they became adult.

Mindhunter

They should be punished and educated, but it seems a bit unfair to cancel them forever. Teenagers tend to be stupid, in the wrong environment, they tend to do incredibly bad things, it's not a reason to ruin their life for it. I know plenty of teenagers who racially abused people in their youth but changed for the better once they became adult.
I agree. We should have something like a mandatory community service or training about racial equity for around 5 years.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
But..but.. the Government released a report saying we were the least racist country ever!
It could be true tbh.

I've traveled to some countries, and yes there is worse stuff abroad...because in other countries you can even be openly racist/xenophobic and nothing happens to you.

The problem we face with eradicating this on social media is that for some people being labelled racist is not a bad thing.

In any setting be it Instagram, WhatsApp or whatever you get a bunch of kids posting monkey emojis simply because they're being little cnuts and know they're not supposed to do it. Not because they're racist. Tomorrow they'll be on somebody else's page doing something totally different. Focusing on that misses the point imo.

Hiding behind that you have the actual racists, inciting it, posting more serious stuff and messaging players directly. These are the ones that need to be stopped, but how? Like the old ASBOs if you prosecute these people its not a bad thing to them, half of them will see it as a badge of honour in their families and communities who bred those views in the first place. If anything, with the way world is going it will entrench them further in their views. How do you stop it when the parents and friends agree with it?

Uniquim

Update | Portsmouth club statement

“Portsmouth Football Club can confirm that the investigation – and subsequent disciplinary process – into discriminatory messages that originated from an academy U18 private group chat has now concluded. We can confirm that a decision has been made today (July 28) to release three players from the academy. These players do have the right to appeal the club’s decision.

“Portsmouth Football Club are fully committed to the elimination of all forms of discrimination. We are part of a diverse community and are dedicated to promoting an environment of equality and inclusion at all times – both inside the football club and in our wider society. We also continue to respectfully appeal for everyone’s consideration in their use of social media posts directed towards any of the club’s employees and any other external parties.”

[source]

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Update | Portsmouth club statement

“Portsmouth Football Club can confirm that the investigation – and subsequent disciplinary process – into discriminatory messages that originated from an academy U18 private group chat has now concluded. We can confirm that a decision has been made today (July 28) to release three players from the academy. These players do have the right to appeal the club’s decision.

“Portsmouth Football Club are fully committed to the elimination of all forms of discrimination. We are part of a diverse community and are dedicated to promoting an environment of equality and inclusion at all times – both inside the football club and in our wider society. We also continue to respectfully appeal for everyone’s consideration in their use of social media posts directed towards any of the club’s employees and any other external parties.”
So it was in effect on a "work" group chat?
Even less chance of getting away with it.

How many players were involved then. Just three? Or have they taken the soft choice of getting rid of three who may not have made it anyway?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Glad to see there was at least some consequences. Though the cynic in me thinks they likely wouldn't have been released if they were really promising players. Hopefully this serves as a real kick to the players who go released and they change their ways.

Withnail

So it was in effect on a "work" group chat?
Even less chance of getting away with it.

How many players were involved then. Just three? Or have they taken the soft choice of getting rid of three who may not have made it anyway?
Once the screen shot was made public, it was goodnight.

Only getting rid of players deemed not good enough to make it would leave them open to litigation so I highly doubt that's the case. I don't believe they had any wiggle room, given the case was so public. From my memory of the screen shots it seemed to be only about three who posted racist comments.