Portugal Will Win Euro 2021

RashyForPM

To begin, I must clarify that this isn’t a knee-jerk thread from last nights sensational performance by them as I’ve had this train of thought for a while now. Anyway, I believe that Portugal will retain their trophy, and here’s why.

Firstly and most importantly, they have Cristiano Ronaldo. The ultimate big game player. Despite being 35, he’s still playing like a regular world class 28 year old and scoring a shit ton of goals, albeit not 60 a season like he used to. Also, alongside the goals he’ll score for Portugal, I think for top class but learning players like Bruno, Felix and Bernardo, playing behind and being captained by an eternal great like Ronaldo will spur them on to unreal levels at the Euros. What’s more, knowing Ronaldo’s magnificent winning mentality, he will desperately want that 6th Ballon D’or to get level with Messi.

Next, the aforementioned three attacking midfielders behind Ronaldo. Not a lot of explanation is needed here. Essentially, Portugal will have three incredibly mobile, diminutive, creative and genuinely top class players supplying the greatest goalscorer, if not player, to ever play Football. In my opinion, this is the best attack in the competition and crucially, no other team will have a defence good enough to stop these guys. Of course, it goes without saying that by the time the tournament comes around, all three will probably be even better than they currently are due to gaining the experience of another season at top clubs like us, Atletico and Shitty.

Moreover, Portugal will have a load of players and a manager at Euro 2021 who have prior experience of winning the European Championship, facing a bunch of weakened top teams. For one, Germany and Spain who are in severe transition. Along with that, France are still a top team and current World Cup holders but you can always trust on the French NT to implode at any time, such as in 2002 and 2010. For England, Belgium and the Dutch, they never seem to be able to muster up the consistency needed to win an international tournament, hence each respective country’s recent droughts despite their rich international histories. Italy are just a bit shite at the moment. I don’t really see any undermining spots for the Portuguese team bar a rapidly aging defence, but even this could be advantageous to them as their experience may very well come to the fore, and any deficiencies can be masked by Santos’ conservative tactics.

Put it this way, if I was the bookies, I’d drop Portugal’s odds of winning Euro 2021 asap.

To begin, I must clarify that this isn’t a knee-jerk thread from last nights sensational performance by them as I’ve had this train of thought for a while now. Anyway, I believe that Portugal will retain their trophy, and here’s why.

Firstly and most importantly, they have Cristiano Ronaldo. The ultimate big game player. Despite being 35, he’s still playing like a regular world class 28 year old and scoring a shit ton of goals, albeit not 60 a season like he used to. Also, alongside the goals he’ll score for Portugal, I think for top class but learning players like Bruno, Felix and Bernardo, playing behind and being captained by an eternal great like Ronaldo will spur them on to unreal levels at the Euros. What’s more, knowing Ronaldo’s magnificent winning mentality, he will desperately want that 6th Ballon D’or to get level with Messi.

Next, the aforementioned three attacking midfielders behind Ronaldo. Not a lot of explanation is needed here. Essentially, Portugal will have three incredibly mobile, diminutive, creative and genuinely top class players supplying the greatest goalscorer, if not player, to ever play Football. In my opinion, this is the best attack in the competition and crucially, no other team will have a defence good enough to stop these guys. Of course, it goes without saying that by the time the tournament comes around, all three will probably be even better than they currently are due to gaining the experience of another season at top clubs like us, Atletico and Shitty.

Moreover, Portugal will have a load of players and a manager at Euro 2021 who have prior experience of winning the European Championship, facing a bunch of weakened top teams. For one, Germany and Spain who are in severe transition. Along with that, France are still a top team and current World Cup holders but you can always trust on the French NT to implode at any time, such as in 2002 and 2010. For England, Belgium and the Dutch, they never seem to be able to muster up the consistency needed to win an international tournament, hence each respective country’s recent droughts despite their rich international histories. Italy are just a bit shite at the moment. I don’t really see any undermining spots for the Portuguese team bar a rapidly aging defence, but even this could be advantageous to them as their experience may very well come to the fore, and any deficiencies can be masked by Santos’ conservative tactics.

Put it this way, if I was the bookies, I’d drop Portugal’s odds of winning Euro 2021 asap.
Home advantage if England reach the semi finals will be a big advantage.

Hopefully it will be an exciting season.

A lot of will depend if countries have their key players fit and available.

RashyForPM

I really hope that happens as I too have this thought that it’s coming home if England make the semis, but I honestly doubt we will as no matter where we finish in the group, we’ll meet a top nation quarters at the latest due to us being in Group D. Without Wembley’s backing, I doubt England’s credentials of beating any team with better players.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
France’s player pool is frighteningly good. Germany will also be up there. Portugal are improving too - should be a good tournament.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Saw highlights of game yesterday. Totally dominant performance.

They look a fantastic team even without CR7.

They'll be one of the favourites for the tournament along with France that is for sure. You never know in cup football though.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Portugal have excellent attacking/midfield and fullback options but at CB and GK is where they may be found out.

I would certainly put them as strong candidates along with France.
  1. France
  2. Portugal
  3. Germany
  4. England
  5. Belgium
For me one of those 5 will win it. France have everything, Portugal missing CBs, Germany maybe a LB, England a WC DM/GK and Belgium seem to struggle despite a strong first XI.

James Peril

No nation wins tournaments if the squad/team contains players like Pickford, Trippier, Rice, Dier, Maguire, Ward-Prowse and Ings, sorry. The front trio of Sterling - Kane - Sancho is probably as good as any, but the lack of midfield and defensive unit is going to be obvious. Put in a de Bruyne in that midfield and you’re good, but England don’t have one available these days.

No nation wins tournaments if the squad/team contains players like Pickford, Trippier, Rice, Dier, Maguire, Ward-Prowse and Ings, sorry. The front trio of Sterling - Kane - Sancho is probably as good as any, but the lack of midfield and defensive unit is going to be obvious. Put in a de Bruyne in that midfield and you’re good, but England don’t have one available these days.
England are one of the countries who could win the tournament, and home advantage can go a very long way. Exciting to see how it plays out. Hopefully we will have crowds by then, as I’ve got some tickets...

How many Greek players did you consider good enough in 2004 or Danish players in 1992?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's 1-1 in the final between Germany and Portugal. Portugal get a penalty in the 92nd minute. Fernandes and Ronaldo are both on the pitch and go for the ball, who gets to take the crucial penalty?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
We’ve never had so many good options to take to a tournament, this is our best ever team if you go by the average quality of Portuguese players and it’s miles better than the one who won the Euros in 2016.

Still, people putting us as favourites or second favourites are exaggerating. First of all, Croatia yesterday were without a bunch of starters and played a terrible match. The match against Sweden on Tuesday will probably be very different as we always struggle in Scandinavia. Secondly, our CB situation is awful, we’ll be massively relying on a 38 year old Pepe who’s had injury problems and his only replacement will be a 37 year old Jose Fonte. Thirdly, we had a nightmare draw. France and Germany in the group, if we finish second in the group we’ll likely be playing England in the first knockout and if we finish third we’ll likely be playing the Netherlands or Belgium... high probability we don’t even make the Euros quarter finals for the first time since 1992.

led_scholes

England are one of the countries who could win the tournament, and home advantage can go a very long way. Exciting to see how it plays out. Hopefully we will have crowds by then, as I’ve got some tickets...

How many Greek players did you consider good enough in 2004 or Danish players in 1992?
I see your point but Greek and Danish players were the biggest outsiders and that condition let their average players (though Denmark did have some really good players) to be pressure free. E.g., If Greece or Denmark would lost in the semis by 4-0, it would still be considered a successful campaign with a bit sour ending. The problem with England or Belgium since 2014 is that they are always expected to perform and sometimes it blocks mentally some players. Also, i cant think any semi average team winning a big cup without a really good Gk, which together with lack of creativity from behind are the two main problems of England IMO. Unfortunately, this cup is perhaps a bit too soon for Henderson, Saka, Foden, Greenwood etc to shine.

RashyForPM

It's 1-1 in the final between Germany and Portugal. Portugal get a penalty in the 92nd minute. Fernandes and Ronaldo are both on the pitch and go for the ball, who gets to take the crucial penalty?
Obviously Ronaldo will win out and probably score, but with obvious United bias, I’d give it to Bruno as it’d be nice to see him score the winner (his recent record being spotless helps too). It’ll never happen though due to Ronaldo’s status.

I see your point but Greek and Danish players were the biggest outsiders and that condition let their average players (though Denmark did have some really good players) to be pressure free. E.g., If Greece or Denmark would lost in the semis by 4-0, it would still be considered a successful campaign with a bit sour ending. The problem with England or Belgium since 2014 is that they are always expected to perform and sometimes it blocks mentally some players. Also, i cant think any semi average team winning a big cup without a really good Gk, which together with lack of creativity from behind are the two main problems of England IMO. Unfortunately, this cup is perhaps a bit too soon for Henderson, Saka, Foden, Greenwood etc to shine.
I’m not pitching England as an outsider like Greece or Denmark, but also we don’t consider ourselves to be favourites. But we have a chance.

I don’t think there is a mentality problem with this group of players, they are far more of a group than England teams of the past like the fabled ‘golden generation’. I can’t talk for Belgium.

There are areas for improvement, like most teams. Pickford has been weak for a couple of years, but he could either pick up form or be replaced by the likes of Henderson, and that might make a big difference. It’s still a long way off.

The other factor is injuries, England are potentially lucky to have it delayed by a year as Kane and Rashford were clearly not fit when the tournament would have been played. One or two players having a blinder, no matter where they come from can take you a long way in a tournament.

RashyForPM

We’ve never had so many good options to take to a tournament, this is our best ever team if you go by the average quality of Portuguese players and it’s miles better than the one who won the Euros in 2016.

Still, people putting us as favourites or second favourites are exaggerating. First of all, Croatia yesterday were without a bunch of starters and played a terrible match. The match against Sweden on Tuesday will probably be very different as we always struggle in Scandinavia. Secondly, our CB situation is awful, we’ll be massively relying on a 38 year old Pepe who’s had injury problems and his only replacement will be a 37 year old Jose Fonte. Thirdly, we had a nightmare draw. France and Germany in the group, if we finish second in the group we’ll likely be playing England in the first knockout and if we finish third we’ll likely be playing the Netherlands or Belgium... high probability we don’t even make the Euros quarter finals for the first time since 1992.
As I said, Santos is an undeniably defensive manager. An a-tech Sean Dyche with world class players, if you like. However, this could be more beneficial than detrimental to your chances as you already have world class attackers, and the defenders can be more protected.

Gonçalo Motta

Portugal is always a strong contender but I reckon this Euros is probably the first time that we have a lineup that match the usual favourites to win it. We obviously still have some defensive issues since both Pepe and Fonte are way to old but it's going to be a good tournament even if we don't win it. On their days, our offensive players can destroy any current NT.

I just wish we had Ronaldo in his peak with this team although he shouldn't be underestimated either way

United Junkie

Dont rule the Dutch out! We got some serious lethal weapons in our NT and we have a lot of options this time.

RashyForPM

Portugal is always a strong contender but I reckon this Euros is probably the first time that we have a lineup that match the usual favourites to win it. We obviously still have some defensive issues since both Pepe and Fonte are way to old but it's going to be a good tournament even if we don't win it. On their days, our offensive players can destroy any current NT.

I just wish we had Ronaldo in his peak with this team although he shouldn't be underestimated either way
No manager who’s worth their salt will. Even if he is generally shut out though, you still have Bruno, Felix and Bernardo who can all destroy teams.

Having said that, Ronaldo will still win the golden boot no matter how shite or brilliantly he plays in the other games as one of his group opponents will likely be Georgia/Belarus/North Macedonia/Kosovo. I genuinely think he’ll bag six in one of those games.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
What's wrong with Rui Patricio? He's a very solid goalkeeper.
As is Anthony Lopes, we have two top goalkeepers. CB is the only problem really, we even have a decent striker in André Silva who is in pretty good form for Frankfurt and usually shows up for the national team.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Having said that, Ronaldo will still win the golden boot no matter how shite or brilliantly he plays in the other games as one of his group opponents will likely be Georgia/Belarus/North Macedonia/Kosovo. I genuinely think he’ll bag six in one of those games.
The winner of playoff A will join our group unless Romania win it so it's likely going to be Iceland, Bulgaria or Hungary along with Germany and France in our group

jetlee

They won't even be in the quarters. Good team but I think they used up all the goodwill, blind luck 4 years ago.

RashyForPM

The winner of playoff A will join our group unless Romania win it so it's likely going to be Iceland, Bulgaria or Hungary along with Germany and France in our group
Isn’t D in with a shout? That’s what I got from Google and playing PES :lol:

sillwuka

This is the first thing i thought last night, they have a mix of Experience, proven players and exciting younger players coming through.

I'm watching with them with interest. (Bruno looked class last night)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Nothing imploded in 2002 and things have changed a lot since 2010 (like several tournaments where things were absolutely fine :lol:)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nothing imploded in 2002 and things have changed a lot since 2010 (like several tournaments where things were absolutely fine :lol:)
And 2010 wasn't even an implosion, France had a bad team for the past 4 years. Interestingly people completely ignore the fact that France were terrible in 2008 and barely qualified in 2010.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This Portugal team looks better than the one that won the competition in 2016 in every position other than central defense. And in a knock out tournament, that could be their down fall, but I certainly wouldn't write them off. As others have said, Portugal, France, Belgium and England have to be considered the favourites, however, I wouldn't write off Italy quite yet. They may just be the surprise team of the tournament...

RashyForPM

And 2010 wasn't even an implosion, France had a bad team for the past 4 years. Interestingly people completely ignore the fact that France were terrible in 2008 and barely qualified in 2010.
Being French you’d naturally know better than me about this. However, I think a full-scale anarchy led by Patrice and Anelka, Domenech having to read that note and him dropping loads of key players for the South Africa game constitutes an implosion.

Even without all that though, no French team should ever come bottom against Uruguay, Mexico and South Africa. It just shouldn’t happen.

JPRouve

Scout
Being French you’d naturally know better than me about this. However, I think a full-scale anarchy led by Patrice and Anelka, Domenech having to read that note and him dropping loads of key players for the South Africa game constitutes an implosion.

Even without all that though, no French team should ever come bottom against Uruguay, Mexico and South Africa. It just shouldn’t happen.
No the team was bad for years and the atmosphere within the national team was also bad for a few years. And there is no rule about where a french team should or shouldn't finish in particular when France finished last of its group in 2008 with zero wins and only qualified for the WC because Henry cheated Ireland. It was also one of the worst period of french football with little production of top players with Benzema being the exception.

Paul_Scholes18

Ronaldo will be even older. I think France or Belgium would be my bet.
Germany is getting back towards the top too, but still not fully convinced.

marktan

France are the clear favourites for me for their strength in depth. So many top players and so many options.

Even Germany if both Sane and Gnabry play will be a tough team.

England of course have some strong young options now too.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Think Russia are in with a chance.

Myrecks

I like the Portugal team. Good attackers and midfielders. Lacking in the cb spot but still, if somehow a reallly good cb breaks out this year and you can pair him up with pepe,which will surely be his last international tournament, they might be in for a real shout.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Have to disagree a bit mainly because we lack quality CBs. A veteran Pepe is still our most solid choice.
Kinda strange this, since we were always very good in that position, dunno what happened.

JPRouve

Scout
Have to disagree a bit mainly because we lack quality CBs. A veteran Pepe is still our most solid choice.
Kinda strange this, since we were always very good in that position, dunno what happened.
Hopefully it's not the same type of curse that France had with DMs and fullbacks.

Luke1995

Don't forget that in the 2016 edition the quality of the football was not so good. I think Portugal would be more likely to win it in a hard fought way, than blowing opponents off the park.

There have been teams who looked good in friendlies, tournaments or qualifiers, but not so good when the pressure was really on.

RashyForPM

For sure. However, as I said in the OP, Santos’ defensive tactics can help to mask a lot of your slow, aging centre backs’ deficiencies. We’ll see though.

Also, what do you think of Ruben Dias as a Portuguese who seemingly watches him a lot? I see he played yesterday and always becomes Maldini incarnate after a few seasons in FM :lol: Could he be the answer?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
One thing I like about Portugal is they always seemed like a streetwise team to me. Most notably in 2016 but they were also hard to beat in 2012, they took Spain to pens.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
For sure. However, as I said in the OP, Santos’ defensive tactics can help to mask a lot of your slow, aging centre backs’ deficiencies. We’ll see though.

Also, what do you think of Ruben Dias as a Portuguese who seemingly watches him a lot? I see he played yesterday and always becomes Maldini incarnate after a few seasons in FM :lol: Could he be the answer?
Not who you responded to, but for me Ruben Dias is a throwback defender - excellent around the box but when he's asked to defend space further up the pitch he struggles. Certainly this past year with Benfica he was exposed when put in more 1v1 situations.

I think Portugal have the firepower to beat anyone but in some respects Ronaldo holds them back - for me the shots are better off being distributed across the front 4 instead of being concentrated on a single player. The 4-1 last night was up there with the best performances by the Seleção in a while and it's notable that it occurred in Ronaldo's absence.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
One thing I like about Portugal is they always seemed like a streetwise team to me. Most notably in 2016 but they were also hard to beat in 2012, they took Spain to pens.
They also have a very strong mentality, unlike England or Argentina who easily lose composure.