Possible interim managers?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Even though I'm not in the Ole camp, I'd rather see a new manager come in next summer rather than picking from the few out of contract ones. I think quite a few people are interested in Rose, Hasenhuttl and Nagelsmann, to name a few who aren't Poch (or Allegri for that matter). Getting them in now is neither ideal nor realistic.

Now, hypothetically speaking, let's suppose Ole loses the dressing room or continues to not stand a prayer against defensive sides, so much so that the situation is untenable, who could realistically step in (again, not Poch or Allegri) until the end of the season?

Had this discussion with Adnan in the Next manager thread, and he suggested Hiddink, but he's 73 years old and I think coaching in the Caribbean in a sort of retirement (and we have a pandemic).

I can't think of one decent candidate.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't see why. The world and his dog knows Poch is getting it, and he's sat at home twiddling his thumbs.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If the plan is to appoint someone like Rose or Hasenhüttl (but probably not Nagelsmann), this one might make a lot of sense from an organisational and tactical standpoint...

You could eventually shift him to a directorial position as he has vital experience in similar capacities with the Red Bull organisation:

There are quite few alternatives, too — surely one of them will be able to deliver: https://www.transfermarkt.de/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If the plan is to appoint someone like Rose or Hasenhüttl (but probably not Nagelsmann), this one might make a lot of sense from an organisational and tactical standpoint...

You could eventually shift him to a directorial position as he has vital experience in similar capacities with the Red Bull organisation:

There are quite few alternatives, too — surely one of them will be able to deliver: https://www.transfermarkt.de/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik
This.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Judging from experience, Solskjaer will not be sacked for a while yet. It will likely be next year lets be honest, the board have shown they have no problem sacrificing a season just to hold off paying out a manager. Carrick will probably takeover for the final few games would be my educated guess.

2 man midfield

Judging from experience, Solskjaer will not be sacked for a while yet. It will likely be next year lets be honest, the board have shown they have no problem sacrificing a season just to hold off paying out a manager. Carrick will probably takeover for the final few games would be my educated guess.
I can't begin to express how underwhelming that sounds

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Hate the idea of an interim manager, basically says we don't have enough trust/ faith in this appointment but I want you (players) to follow him? It's contradicting and makes it difficult, the only reason it worked briefly for Solskjaer is I believe the players were sick to death of Moreen, I don't think they are unhappy with Ole in the same way just poorly drilled.

2 man midfield

Season could effectively be done by then like Giggs' stint. Pochettino is surely the target now because he is currently unemployed.
I'd genuinely rather appoint Phelan or McKenna than Carrick, even temporarily.

Zlatattack

We already have an interim manager. Are we now getting an interim for the interim? Sounds a bit like when Blackburn when that chicken mob took over.

AaronRedDevil

Fecking hell. Will he shut up. Ffs 500 threads in one day over a lost, get a grip.

fallengt

Give it to Giggsey. He'll discipline these players, physical punishment if needed.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Phelan for 1 game, then get the unemployed candidate in!
Give next appointment, 2 windows to see progress, if not rinse and repeat!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This interim manager is BS imo. Season just started and we are getting into an international break. We are doing okay in Europe as well. Get the basics right and start again, you can still save the season. I just don't want to wait for us to spoil the season completely and then replace Ole.

I believe Ed's primary targets are Poch, Allegri, Nagelsmann and Rose and the last 2 aren't coming now. Its Poch 100 %.

Though I would like Hassenhuttl i don't think Ed would go for him.

Revaulx

Perfect! Played under Fergie, some of whose greatness must surely have rubbed off onto him. Just like it did with Ole.

Oh wait...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No, not another interim! Don’t want to risk getting another Ole.

There’s no reason why we can’t get a manager mid season. If Ole loses to Everton get the new man in to play West Brom, should be a good game to start with.

Revaulx

I wanted Wenger as interim when Jose’s sacking became inevitable. I thought he’d be able to take an objective view of things (which he’d stopped being able to do in his last years at Arsenal) without the danger of becoming a permanent appointment.

Maybe he’s been out of the game too long to be considered this time.

Red00012

I wanted Wenger as interim when Jose’s sacking became inevitable. I thought he’d be able to take an objective view of things (which he’d stopped being able to do in his last years at Arsenal) without the danger of becoming a permanent appointment.

Maybe he’s been out of the game too long to be considered this time.
JAYSUS

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

That probably would be the perfect plan if it does come to that, but unfortunately I don't see us going down that route.

Dante

Average bang
Whoever it is will need to command instant respect from United's big name players. Knowledge, ability and technical acumen won't be enough on their own. Image and stature are going to be hugely important factors.

I don't see Nagelsmann being able to do that. But I think Poch or Allegri could.

Quinze

It's too early in the season to get a caretaker. I'd rather have a new manager come in now and be given a free pass for the rest of the season so that he can use this time to tactically shape the team and asses the business that needs to be done in summer.

Castia

You‘re probably correct and that’s been the theme of the past but I feel with the current climate there’s a real need to get top 4 this season and we won’t hang around like the past. Also there’s never been a top manager available at the time, Ed must have his eye on Poch given recent results.

I think if we lose at the weekend he’s gone. International break to get the new manager in and a decent set of fixtures to get a run going.

remo

Please, please - no interim managers. Just get somebody he is a coach and not former player.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Scholes has been freed up from being caretaker at Salford. Just saying.

Revaulx

Scholes has been freed up from being caretaker at Salford. Just saying.
We could end up like Leeds in the 80s, cycling through ex-players in the hope that one of them could replicate something of their glorious old boss.

Revaulx

Why not?
  • Still in his 60s (then)
  • Intelligent
  • Won lots of stuff
  • Absolutely no connection with the Good Old Days, BUT:
  • Favours attacking football and
  • Favours youth (the only bits of the United Way that actually matter)
  • Plus, surely too old to have been given the permanent role (which I fully agree would have been stupid)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yeah, Rangnick would be addressing a lot more than just a managerial issue - it would quite frankly be a dream having a DoF come in and prepare the ground for an eventual manager. The thought escaped me as it is just too good. From that list of managers out of work I think for most of them, if they'd even take on a role of an interim manager, would want to eventually get the job and we might be caught in a similar situation as before.

Let's suppose we did get Rangnick and then went for one of the three (Rose, Nagelsmann or Hasenhuttl) - would he bring coaching staff with him that's very temporary or work with the coaching staff already here, only for them to be booted out once the new manager arrives? What's your take on that?

croadyman

This

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Let's suppose we did get Rangnick and then went for one of the three (Rose, Nagelsmann or Hasenhuttl) - would he bring coaching staff with him that's very temporary or work with the coaching staff already here, only for them to be booted out once the new manager arrives? What's your take on that?
That's an impossible question to answer, mate — too many uncertainties and permutations at play! :lol:

Though if I had to guess, he would probably retain the likes of Carrick and McKenna in coaching positions are they are young-and-learning and fully acclimatized to the club — even from United's perceptive it would make sense to retain them as medium term continuity options. He might also ask for a few faces that he is familiar with — and not just random blokes, but those that someone like say Rose (to cite a specific example) would be likely get along with: like Alexander Zickler (who is currently an assistant at Mönchengladbach and previously worked at Salzburg under both Rangnick and Rose), Patrick Eibenberger (who is currently a fitness trainer at Mönchengladbach and also previously worked at Salzburg under Rangnick and Rose) or Lars Kornetka (who is currently at PSV and previously worked as an analyst for Leipzig, Hoffenheim, Bayern). Mind, these are just examples, dunno about their contract situations and Ragnick might appoint others (like Jesse Marsch at Leipzig in 2018 after Hasenhüttl left the club). Then the new manager could come in an add/subtract a few to complete the team.

All things considered, one major positive with him is that since he has an extensive background as both Sporting Director and Head-Coach/manager, he should be able to plan ahead, and he also had two stints as interim for Leipzig — which gives him a decent background as a temporary option, on top of having a big contact book through the Red Bull organisation and certain teams in the Bundesliga. Though he is a bit of a control-freak and quite demanding, so there's reason to be slightly wary.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The season isn't old enough to start thinking about the next, if they think Pochettino is the man for the job, might as well get him in sooner than later. He'll have time to implement some of his ideas during the international break.