PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 October 2015

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I can't believe I predicted 1-2 in hindsight. Why did I think we could score 2?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Really disappointing from the players, I don't think any of them showed any desire today. Anyone who scapegoats Rooney today is an idiot as pretty much the whole attack looked lackluster, Martial played all right but nothing special. Mata and Herrera offered nothing today.

Manchie

Depressing from start to finish. Can't stand of Rooney's and LVG face right now. Boring as feck and no urgency

Minimalist

LVG won't last the season if he keeps up with this. He inability to drop players and hold them accountable is staggering.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Worst "performance" of the season. No intent at all from us to even create anything. Van Gaal needs to sort this out and change things. feck off with the pointless possession.

Bayern fans will be familiar with the second season of Van Gaal and how his football just turned into pointless possession. He laid the foundations, but I don't see him sticking around for too much longer unless he changes something in the way we play. Almost 6 hours without scoring or conceding now.

kundalini

Dire performance. Lost so many 50/50s. Most of the team seemed to have dropped their performance level as to not show up Rooney.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
:lol:

Must have been awful. Usually you are a glass half full kinda guy when it comes to us.
I am and I'm still happy with our performances this season.

However this game today was poor. This game and the Newcastle game are examples of where LVG didn't do enough to win the game. Now Palace are a good side and a draw away isn't the end of the world, BUT today has done absolutely nothing to stop the criticisims of him.

Utd7

Fecking awful...I won't say LvG out because that would be irrational but he needs to make adjustments and stop being so damn stubborn with his tactics.

togg

I'm reading now, against what I thought, that LVG is using this as a last hurrah before he retires....knowing that at the end of the day, he'll still be thought of as a great manager. He's losing me...and to be honest, I'm really sorry to feel that.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Goals might be hard to come by for the team but Paul Scholes won this weekend 1-0.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Dreadful really. Created nothing, didn't look at all dangerous despite Palace actually giving us a bit of space in their own half.

We have no directness about us. Our fullbacks don't even go forward anymore. It is a disgrace that we have have possession but don't know how to bloody use it. There is no excuse for it, it is all down to LvG and his approach to games.

You can't defend this anymore Louis.

Question234

it really is going the exact same way it did for him at bayern.

I've been supporting him but maybe his methods are slightly dated and don't suit the modern game, especially in the prem.

dsch

We had a decent twenty minutes or so in the first half, including a couple of very nice moves. Never got started in the second for some reason.

Young was very good when he came on. I was worried about him defensively, but he proved more than capable and also had a few good runs. They did concentrate their attacks mostly down the other side, though.

Bolasie is a bit of a brute, and not always in a good way.

Rooney again was not as bad as everyone wants to make him out to be.

Fellaini is absolutely awful in aerial duels.

Why do we never play Mata on the left? When they switched their fullbacks, it would have been worth a shot to have Martial running at the fullback on a booking on our right.

Darmian is still far short of his early season form.

Edit: Stayed away from the match thread, which was probably the best decision I've made today. The negativity in this place ...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This performances gives me hope that English clubs will do well in Europe. Best 90 minutes of football all season.

Oo0AahCantona

He's gonna get sacked soon.
Any manager needs to be given at least a full season in charge and enough time to implement his style of play and bring his own players in. He's been given that, and the full backing of the club finances. He's got us playing the worst football in the league at the minute.

mav_9me

3 games in a row without a goal, barely a chance created over the 3 games either. Maybe, just maybe, Louis should think about changing what is clearly not working.
There is a clear pattern in our goalscoring sequence.

Till we got Martial we sucked.

Then we started scoring with him upfront.

Now again struggling since moving Martial to the left and Rooney upfront. (Other than Everton).

Moriarty

LVG won't last the season if he keeps up with this. He inability to drop players and hold them accountable is staggering.
It's all very well dropping players as long as you've got good replacements. We don't. The squad size is small and very short on strikers/forwards. A top striker and another central defender of quality and this will be a damned good side.

WyoManU

I honestly can't think of a single save their keeper had to make from open play. He was forced to save Rooney's tame free kick effort in the first half. Other than that...nothing. LVG is unable or unwilling to make the big decisions, namely bench Rooney who contributes almost nothing. When it isn't working, try something else. But, we don't. We persevere with our possession philosophy that sees us racking up high numbers as we pass it around our back 7 without any threat. We look a solid 7th place side for me. Palace were very, very unlucky not to batter us 4-0. Worst part is that we will play with the exact same team and tactics ad infinitum. I really thought we had left this behind us after Moyes left but it looks like we backed the wrong man yet again. You have to wonder who is making the big decisions around this club.

Ixion

Awful performance. Couple of chances from Martial's passes but they should have scored a few themselves. Rooney needs dropping to the reserves.`

Devil may care

I thought our defense did well against a pacey and physical Palace team, bar Darmian who was horrendous. However in attack we were as blunt as ever with only Martial looking like he could trouble their defense at all, at this point it's hard to see a fix to our lack of creativity and dynamism within the current squad.

DevilRed

If this continues till the end of the season and Pep becomes available, I'd have no qualms getting rid of LVG.

This type of football is unacceptable really. That and the fact he doesn't have the bollocks to drop Rooney or at least move him away from being the front striker. Clearly Martial should be playing there and we can either shunt Rooney to the wings or behind Antony.

SAd to say this but we probably need Young on the wings now that Memphis has completely lost all form. At least Young seems to have the ability to take on a defender and beat them. Mata and Herrera just look slow out there. Almost passengers today in these types of tight matches. Mata is just not a winger and you have to wonder if he will ever properly fit into our team. Can you imagine what a different a proper right winger would make in this formation?

Brophs

The One and Only
Stripped of all context, that could be a good result. But the context means quite a bit.

Trizy

LVG is clueless with both team selection and substitutes. Subbing off Mata on several occasions when he's been our most creative player and Rooney's been our worst baffles me.

I'm not even sure he's to be praised for our defense, he's just made us into a possession team which minimizes the time the other team has the ball so they don't attack as much. The only way that works is if you can F*CKING ATTACK!!! Honestly think most managers given this squad in the PL would be on similar points if not more. Again with a defense of Schmidfield, Smalling and De Gea in goals I won't give LVG credit.

I don't think I've been this angry since Moyes was in charge. It's my first time saying this; LVG OUT!

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It's all very well dropping players as long as you've got good replacements. We don't. The squad size is small and very short on strikers/forwards. A top striker and another central defender of quality and this will be a damned good side.
Whose fault is that? He sold players without replacing them.

What people keep saying is that we need better players. But with that, any decent manager would do better.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Zero goals in our last three games. Should I say we have a problem in attack?

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 455 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd