Post match v Liverpool

Wilt

Never seen a post match thread on any game survive so long above the fold.

It’s not healthy. We all know it was a freak result. Let it go. Christ.
Unfortunately it’s a stick Pool will keep bashing Utd with for years to come

Rusholme Ruffian

Jesus Christ some of you are pussies.
Absolutely
As far as sports psychology goes, Liverpool losing to the team that was at the bottom of the league could not have come at a better time for us in letting our players know and believe that it was a fluke of a game.
Absolutely - good shout
Unfortunately it’s a stick Pool will keep bashing Utd with for years to come
Waah, how will we cope?

BorisManUtd

I don’t think we’ll ever see a second half performance like that for a while. Just a perfect storm of United players completely fecking up everything and subsequently Liverpool players doing everything perfectly right. That was like half a season worth of bad luck and good luck dished out in one half of football.
Agree. Our players just lost their heads and switched off and Liverpool scored 6 goals from 7 shots on target. Wouldn't call it luck but (almost) everything went in which rarely happens.

Sourness was trying to suggest that the result flattered us, even though they basically scored every chance.

And that we were "getting away with it" in recent games.
Games including comfortably seeing Newcastle off in the cup final, a really strong display away at Barcelona, and a superb second half against them too.
West Ham was more awkward with rotation, with Antonio especially in shocking shooting mode, but their one goal was very likely out, and we still ran it out 3-1.

He's a boob. Wonder how "sure" he was at them winning today, or does he not care about games he's not "performing" for?
Definitely. 5-0 vs Liverpool last season was always coming after months of poor performances vs Wolves, Vilarreal etc etc. These performances before Liverpool game now weren't perfect but we were very good and deserved to win them. First 20 minutes vs Leicester were where we got away as we could've conceded 1-2 but afterwards we were comfortable in that game.

Rusholme Ruffian

I hope it’s all mostly said in a kind of jokey, football fan context, because fecking hell I’d genuinely worry about people coping with some of the actual shit life throws at you if not.
I've genuinely read at least two posters in this thread say that they don't think they'll ever get over this result!? Maybe context helps, and I'm an old fecker these days (47), but that game felt like it had far more in common with the 5-0 against Newcastle in 96 than it did with our 0-5 against Liverpool at OT last season.

I was chatting to 2 Liverpool fans this morning at my lad's U15s game and whilst they were having a little chortle they fully accepted that everything had gone perfectly for them and that they hadn't played like that against anyone else this season. Even in spite of the result they seemed generally pretty pessimistic about Liverpool moving forward and concerned about United's progress. Amazing that so many seem almost eager to ignore the bigger picture .

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I've genuinely read at least two posters in this thread say that they don't think they'll ever get over this result!? Maybe context helps, and I'm an old fecker these days (47), but that game felt like it had far more in common with the 5-0 against Newcastle in 96 than it did with our 0-5 against Liverpool at OT last season.

I was chatting to 2 Liverpool fans this morning at my lad's U15s game and whilst they were having a little chortle they fully accepted that everything had gone perfectly for them and that they hadn't played like that against anyone else this season. Even in spite of the result they seemed generally pretty pessimistic about Liverpool moving forward and concerned about United's progress. Amazing that so many seem almost eager to ignore the bigger picture .
It was a freak result. End of. It would probably have ended 10 nil if there were another 5 minutes played such was the collapse on our part. Seriously the last 2 goals were absolute jokes! It shouldn’t happen of course but it did.
I recall losing 6-0 to Ipswich in the late 70s. A worse defeat, our Keeper saved two pens! Think it was Gary Bailey?
I also remember that 5 nil at Newcastle. We were banjaxed after playing away in Europe. Nothing went right for us on the day but as Kevin Keegan said it was still only worth 3 points!

Marcus

It was a freak result. End of. It would probably have ended 10 nil if there were another 5 minutes played such was the collapse on our part. Seriously the last 2 goals were absolute jokes! It shouldn’t happen of course but it did.
I recall losing 6-0 to Ipswich in the late 70s. A worse defeat, our Keeper saved two pens! Think it was Gary Bailey?
I also remember that 5 nil at Newcastle. We were banjaxed after playing away in Europe. Nothing went right for us on the day but as Kevin Keegan said it was still only worth 3 points!
I remember that game on TV. Was totally crushed. Gary Bailey saved 3 penalties. One was re-taken.

Rusholme Ruffian

I remember that game on TV. Was totally crushed. Gary Bailey saved 3 penalties. One was re-taken.
Exactly - this is football. Freak results happen from time-to-time. fecking hell, Liverpool can laugh all they like - we just need to ensure that we finish in the CL spots this year and preferably win another trophy. They can keep their plastic 7-0 cup cos it'll be the only thing they win this season.

Loon

:lol:
If we continue to improve, it will be as inconsequential as that Newcastle result even if it is brought up.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The next time we beat these lot in Anfield, all while continuing the progress, this result will be forgotten.
I mean the result today should tell you how fans have memory of a goldfish. Last week it was our turn, now the same fans are mocking Pool on social media. It's just banter. You give and you take.

OrcaFat

Most of us will get over it or already have done. But I dare say there are more than two posters who will never forget it and will remain fecked off about it for a very long time.

It’s not the loss or the score or whose fault it was, it’s who we were playing when it happened. If you can’t understand that, no-one can explain it to you.

Teja

It’s not the loss or the score or whose fault it was, it’s who we were playing when it happened. If you can’t understand that, no-one can explain it to you.
Do you still care about the City 6-1 at OT? Other than a few obsessed randos, noone will hold this over us come next season. The most recent fixture is the only one that matters.

Rusholme Ruffian

Most of us will get over it or already have done. But I dare say there are more than two posters who will never forget it and will remain fecked off about it for a very long time.

Surprise surprise, a quick look through post history shows you to be someone else who was still backing OHGS after 2 and a half years of mediocrity. Maybe it's just a coincidence that the vast majority of people who want to make last weekend's result into something bigger than a freak result were delusional Ole fans?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Freak, shit and shocking result. But big picture is relevant, we are still upwards and are improving. I moved on as overall we look quite good

OrcaFat

Do you still care about the City 6-1 at OT? Other than a few obsessed randos, noone will hold this over us come next season. The most recent fixture is the only one that matters.
No I don’t still care about the City one really. City are becoming a little more irritating but some of us who lived through 15 years of Liv dominance in the 70s and 80s have a quite understandable loathing for that team, that club (in a sporting rivalry sense only, I stress).

And the thing about that is you can’t just forget about that shut with a few good results. We had our own, probably even longer, period if dominance afterwards but you think that erased the agony of Liv fans baiting us in the 80s? No way.

Some people can shrug and say we’ve got 20 titles and they’ve only got 19. Are you feckin’ joking? What about the European Cups? They’re still shoving that in our faces.

Never mind anyway. I should be more like you, I know, but I just can’t be.

Josh 76

No I don’t still care about the City one really. City are becoming a little more irritating but some of us who lived through 15 years of Liv dominance in the 70s and 80s have a quite understandable loathing for that team, that club (in a sporting rivalry sense only, I stress).

And the thing about that is you can’t just forget about that shut with a few good results. We had our own, probably even longer, period if dominance afterwards but you think that erased the agony of Liv fans baiting us in the 80s? No way.

Some people can shrug and say we’ve got 20 titles and they’ve only got 19. Are you feckin’ joking? What about the European Cups? They’re still shoving that in our faces.

Never mind anyway. I should be more like you, I know, but I just can’t be.
He gets it !

I don’t think it hurts Utd fans who are under 40 as it hurts the ones over 40. Growing up in the 80s was a nightmare!

OrcaFat

He gets it !

I don’t think it hurts Utd fans who are under 40 as it hurts the ones over 40. Growing up in the 80s was a nightmare!
It was a nightmare!

Trying to explain how it feels sounds like a campaign speech for the Top Red award but truth is we are more like damaged souls. Ha.

Josh 76

It was a nightmare!

Trying to explain how it feels sounds like a campaign speech for the Top Red award but truth is we are more like damaged souls. Ha.
The mad thing is, Utd were undefeated at Anfield through the 80s. Think it was 9 years.

Rusholme Ruffian

The mad thing is, Utd were undefeated at Anfield through the 80s. Think it was 9 years.
Yeah, and all we had to show for it was a couple of cups. Do you think Liverpool really cared that we beat them in our cup final each season as they were racking up league titles and European Cups? I very much doubt it kept them awake at night.

I could understand all this hand-wringing if everything else was going to shit, but broadly speaking we have been excellent this season. Ole's win ratio was 54% and he won nothing - the new guy's win ratio is currently standing at 72% and we already have a trophy under our belts, why fixate on a single freak result?

Rusholme Ruffian

It’s Liverpool. You either get it or you don’t.
I do get it. I'm 47, my first game at Old Trafford was 1985, I grew up during the 80s. I totally understand the rivalry, what I don't understand is the mentality of wanting to view this result as some kind of seismic event that will dog us to our graves rather than seeing it for what it was - a one-off freak result.

devips

Yeah, and all we had to show for it was a couple of cups. Do you think Liverpool really cared that we beat them in our cup final each season as they were racking up league titles and European Cups? I very much doubt it kept them awake at night.

I could understand all this hand-wringing if everything else was going to shit, but broadly speaking we have been excellent this season. Ole's win ratio was 54% and he won nothing - the new guy's win ratio is currently standing at 72% and we already have a trophy under our belts, why fixate on a single freak result?
Exactly this.

Denis79

I do get it. I'm 47, my first game at Old Trafford was 1985, I grew up during the 80s. I totally understand the rivalry, what I don't understand is the mentality of wanting to view this result as some kind of seismic event that will dog us to our graves rather than seeing it for what it was - a one-off freak result.
No it doesn't seem like you do. I am about your age and I completely understand that some fans are upset of this result. What I don't understand are people who are indifferent to it.

Last edited:

The Oracle

For anyone who is still looking back at last week's result, I do think this is worth considering:

Liverpool’s ‘7’
They scored seven goals in a match where up until half time, both team’s performances were equal, and the only difference was a single goal scored by Liverpool before the break.
Liverpool's highest score against us was achieved in a season where they won't win the league.

Man Utd’s ‘7’
We had a run of seven consecutive (back-to-back) Premier League clean sheets against Liverpool – a record that they have never achieved against us. Whilst that record run was happening (January 2005 to March 2008), Man Utd picked up consecutive Premier League titles in 2007 and 2008

“Attack wins you games, defence wins you titles” – Sir Alex Ferguson

Last edited:

Rusholme Ruffian

No it doesn't seem like you do. I am about your age and I completely understand that some fans are upset of this result. What I don't understand are people who are indifferent to it.
I don't think anybody is indifferent to it?! I was born and lived in Greater Manchester until I was in my mid 20s. I've been chased across Stanley Park by gangs of scousers after away matches at Anfield. Believe me I understand the rivalry and I understand being upset by the result - you should have seen me last Sunday evening if you think that I am indifferent to the result. But I don't understand people wanting to view it as anything other than a freak, and I prefer to frame it in the context of the season. People saying they will 'never get over this result' is utterly ridiculous - I mean, we lost there 5-0 last season so presumably these poor souls are already scarred for life by that?

OrcaFat

Oh I see. It was of course a one-off freak result. Any other team I’d be just marvelling at how bizarre it was but I just can’t do that with Liverpool. It’s not going to ruin my life, far from it. But as far as football goes it was, and is, truly horrible.

Denis79

I don't think anybody is indifferent to it?! I was born and lived in Greater Manchester until I was in my mid 20s. I've been chased across Stanley Park by gangs of scousers after away matches at Anfield. Believe me I understand the rivalry and I understand being upset by the result - you should have seen me last Sunday evening if you think that I am indifferent to the result. But I don't understand people wanting to view it as anything other than a freak, and I prefer to frame it in the context of the season. People saying they will 'never get over this result' is utterly ridiculous - I mean, we lost there 5-0 last season so presumably these poor souls are already scarred for life by that?
I think some the reactions are over the top because this wasn't really a freak result. it happened just last season and still we let them trash us again. City scored 6 against us as well this season. We too often tend to collapse against our rivals.

Rusholme Ruffian

I think some the reactions are over the top because this wasn't really a freak result. it happened just last season and still we let them trash us again. City scored 6 against us as well this season. We too often tend to collapse against our rivals.
Last season was a different manager! The entire context was entirely different. City can score 6 against anyone...as Fergie will tell you. The result was absolutely a freak - when do you reckon was the last time a team scored 7 goals from 8 attempts on target?

You choose to bundle last season and this seasons results together - I prefer to look at the bigger picture.

Denis79

Last season was a different manager! The entire context was entirely different. City can score 6 against anyone...as Fergie will tell you. The result was absolutely a freak - when do you reckon was the last time a team scored 7 goals from 8 attempts on target?

You choose to bundle last season and this seasons results together - I prefer to look at the bigger picture.
Our two biggest losses this season are against our two main rivals. You look at it anyways you like.