FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Arsenal 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 25 January 2019

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I’m impressed with how well we seem to be coached now compared to under Jose as well. We’re moving the ball well, with so much more speed and purpose. Arsenal couldn’t live with that. We countered on them half a dozen times, defended well and were clinical as hell. Perfect away tactics and performance really.
It's the build up from the back that now impresses me as much as anything. Ole and the coaches seem to have dragged us back into the 21stC and away from the dinosaur tactics of Jose

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's the build up from the back that now impresses me as much as anything. Ole and the coaches seem to have dragged us back into the 21stC and away from the dinosaur tactics of Jose
Definitely. Before I genuinely questioned what they were being coached, or if they were.

cyberman

Those stats tell a different story and the 3rd goal killed them.We defo rode our luck a bit.
Thats why you don't judge games based off of stats.
We were content attacking direct through midfield with either driving runs or through balls to out front men, that doesn't reflect well on stats because possession stats are based off of passes completed.
Arsenal played the ball slowly, taking an age to play it through midfield but it built up their passing stats.
That was a negative on the night but a positive in stats.
Which is nonsense.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Thats why you don't judge games based off of stats.
We were content attacking direct through midfield with either driving runs or through balls to out front men, that doesn't reflect well on stats because possession stats are based off of passes completed.
Arsenal played the ball slowly, taking an age to play it through midfield but it built up their passing stats.
That was a negative on the night but a positive in stats.
Which is nonsense.
The first half was very close I thought,just our overall finishing was much better than there's.They were still in it til we scored the third goal.
We deserved the win just when you look at the scoreline and the stats it tells a different story.

Alabaster Codify7

Awesome, loved that. OGS marches on. Back 4 and keeper were solid, which surprised me.
Stick that one up your ArseFam TV. I'd love us to get a kind draw next, a Bristol City or something, to keep the momentum going.

Vadim

Got very drunk in a New York bar surrounded by Arsenal fans and it was sweet bliss.

I love Ole.

Okey

Yep. Like many are saying, the coaching is showing through. One of the biggest criticisms during the Jose days was you struggled to understand what the team were trying to do. We've gone from looking like a very poorly coached side to one playing with an obvious structure and game plan. Raise the quality of the personnel and next term we could be real contenders.

Reactions: Sultan

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Excellent for most of the game, and fantastic from Ole. Took our goals well in the first half, and then subbed on the youngsters at the right time to kill the game off. Bailly gets crucified around here but I thought he was excellent today.
Yes he was. Bailly brings a lot of athleticism to the defence and if he can cut out any silly mistakes he should be fine.

A big mention has to go to Lindelöf who has improved greatly over recent weeks.
Both look promising after difficult starts.

Most of all the balance of the team looking good.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I’m impressed with how well we seem to be coached now compared to under Jose as well. We’re moving the ball well, with so much more speed and purpose. Arsenal couldn’t live with that. We countered on them half a dozen times, defended well and were clinical as hell. Perfect away tactics and performance really.
Quite right. Much credit has to go to the coaching staff who with Ole all seem to have a positive impact.

roseguy64

Thought Lukaku, Lindelof and Shaw were the best for us out there. Pogba and Herrera had good games also.

Just watched the game on BBC iPlayer - i think we played well. I like the way ole set us up, Lindeolf and Bailly had a good game hopefully we see more of them together.

I came to literally say the same thing! Just watched whole game, we were impressive I thought! Arsenal had a couple of decent spells but we were deserved winners.
They didn't give us too much trouble in comparison to the away game last season! How many shots did they have again it must have been about 50 :lol:

Walters_19_MuFc

We controlled the game yesterday. Not in terms of possession, but out of possession. Apart from the goal, I felt we were in control of their attacks. Sat back, soaked up the pressure and broke on them.

crossy1686

career ending
The prospect of Ole getting a summer transfer window must be fecking terrifying for our rivals. If he's not made permanent, I'll lose my shit at the end of the season.

Keep this staff together, get in Rene and see if Scholes wants in too, see if Van Der Sar fancies the DOF role then go all out in the summer transfer window and get ready for a CL, PL double.

fergieisold

They didn't give us too much trouble in comparison to the away game last season! How many shots did they have again it must have been about 50 :lol:
God knows, but last night I’m really happy with. I didn’t see the game live so was a bit worried when I saw the possession stats. But that all comes down to arsenal doing the same thing in 6-7 touches that we do with 3-4!

astracrazy

The prospect of Ole getting a summer transfer window must be fecking terrifying for our rivals. If he's not made permanent, I'll lose my shit at the end of the season.

Keep this staff together, get in Rene and see if Scholes wants in too, see if Van Der Sar fancies the DOF role then go all out in the summer transfer window and get ready for a CL, PL double.
Yeah i hope Ole stays and Phelan too. The pair are working so well. I hope our board see this a build on it. I know Phelan said it will only be temp, but hopefully he feels it and stays. I dont know how much he offers as a coach, but his like the right hand go to man for our players, just as he was under Fergie. I dont really know anyone else like it.

If we can add Rene, who i think under Fergie was the main coaching guy, we will be on fire.

Tony247

Just watched the replay. Here is my take.

We played a very good counter attacking football. This was far from jose's 'panic defending then try counter attack' type football. It is astonishing that Ole got his team to play effective intensive football one week and then he changes his tactic and get equally effective counter attacking football with little genious tweaks! Speaks a lot about manager's tactical nuance, as well as team's versatility at his disposal.

Now about the second goal. A lot has been said about Lukaku's contribution. But there was Shaw who started the attack. He received the ball on the left of his box, he saw Lukaku waiting unmarked at far side of the right, he then ran diagonally towards right about 30-40 yards with the ball, like a mad dog was chasing him. His idea was to get the ball to Lukaku before Arsenals' fullbacks catch up on him. He then made a perfect pass. Lukaku first touch, second touch perfect pass to Lingard; Lingard first touch, second touch shoot and GOAL! Brilliant vision and execution by Shaw, then Lukaku and then Lingard's finish.

Lukaku was brilliant on right with Lingard as false 9. Both have some good understanding between them. Lingard's finish was calm and assuring. His runs were good, although he has some work to do on ball retention.
Romero is too good to be a second choice GK. We are spoiled with him and DDG, and envy of all football clubs in the world.
What a transformation for Lindelof! He is our new Vidic.
Bailly kept things to basic, didn't lose his head and if he does so then he could be a very good CB.
Herrera and Matic were excellent as usual. Herrera was simply everywhere yet he never looked out of his position. Great transformation here too!
Pogba was quiet in first half. He came back to life in second. His link up with Lukaku needs some work though.
Good come back for Sanchez. He provided stability.
Young was solid as defender. He didn't have to push forward as Lukaku took over that role on the right.

Great reassuring and entertaining performance again.

Yesterday Ole schooled Emrey, period.

PS: the team didn't look tired after 65-70 mins since we were counter attacking. This issue I sqarely blame on Jose and his fitness regime. We need to watch this against Burnley.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Do we really need them though.
Ole is obviously happy with Mike Phelan and both Carrick and McKenna.

The issue of a DoF does need to be resolved either way.

All this pre-supposes that the club are happy with Ole.
Whoever becomes the new manager I just hope that it is the right person and we can really start to challenge for the top honours.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Awesome, loved that. OGS marches on. Back 4 and keeper were solid, which surprised me.
Stick that one up your ArseFam TV. I'd love us to get a kind draw next, a Bristol City or something, to keep the momentum going.
Could happen.
Bristol City beat Bolton yesterday.

georgipep

I can't yet embed videos, so please someone who can, embed this analysis, I think it's worth it. https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=XomdCEEIRvw

A good analysis of OGS' tactical supremacy on display yesterday. Would be interesting to see how we fare against good opposition who limit our options caused by overly attacking fullbacks.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Yes he was. Bailly brings a lot of athleticism to the defence and if he can cut out any silly mistakes he should be fine.

A big mention has to go to Lindelöf who has improved greatly over recent weeks.
Both look promising after difficult starts.

Most of all the balance of the team looking good.
Players need game time and confidence from the manager in order to succeed. Bailly and Lindelhoff will both come good. I remember Depay playing for us and I was very surprised that the then manager Van Gaal did not give him enough time to settle despite knowing him from his time as the Dutch national manager. He was in and out of the team like a yoyo. Under Jose players do not get time to settle, you play and if you play bad you are out. Thank God we lost Moaninho.

UnRational

I'm no fan of Bailly but I thought he was immense last night fair play to him hopefully continues, all in all well deserved win feck Arsenal.

MaxBP

Too bad we won cheating today, Herrera played with his twin on the field, no way someone can be all over the field that way !!!
For me he was MOTM today by far.

TheRedHearted

Bially showed his stuff again. IMO him, Lindelof, and Smalling are probably top three. I've liked Jones and thought under Mou he did show some quality stuff, so if he's the fourth I'm not so upset about that.

Anyway, to be honest I keep thinking about if the game would have been different had they not lost their CB so early. Wasn't happy with how we didn't go at them at all in the beginning, to be honest we looked pretty nervous. We defended well, of course, as I knew we would. I'll be one to say that Mou did instill a lot of strength in us defensively, it seems Ole has done a great job at filling in the holes.

I wonder if Pogba needs a rest, and to be honest all the over confidence for the Burnley game sort of worries me. It's going to be tough imo. Pogba seems like he can't be missed, but we all saw the job Herrera did. Wouldn't be surprised if Fred or Fellaini get a start.
Who else could fill in? McTominay? A start instead of Matic? Would be a little risky but I don't suppose there's a better situation for it to happen. Pogba, Mtominay and Fred- enough to do the job? Or maybe it's just Matic who is rested and Herrera fills in there. Only time can tell.

We were strong yes-I was hoping we would come at them a little more. Happy for Sanchez, but even how he took his goal-so indicative of how little confidence he has. Maybe he regrets not going to city after all, or maybe he just feels like he's past it. Confidence can go along way and I have faith Ole and the boys can set him straight. I would say that's one of his biggest task's- fitting Sanchez in. He doesn't have much venom at all in him-that's what I see. Looks like his hips are tight as hell throwing everything off

Acole9

Outstanding
Really entertaining match, thoroughly enjoyed it. Although it didn't really get going until we scored, I was a bit bored prior to that.

kaiz

4:58 "Don't be too upset, you are in the final next week" :D top banter
youtube.com/watch?v=zkfM7k5mqJU

Ban

Alexis scoring, Lingard moonwalking and our away fans singing oh Robin Van Persie.
Being an Arsenal fan these days is a tough job. :D

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 494 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd