PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 01 November 2020

Corey

They were more organised, created the better openings and defended better then us... So yeah on balance they deserved it.

First half in particular they were clearly the better team.
I agree that they were more organised than us and defended better than us, but football is about scoring goals and they barely created any goal-scoring chances.

Expected goals has its flaws as a statistic, but in this game it completely aligns with what I saw:

xG Man Utd 0.39-1.07 Arsenal

If you subtract about 0.75 for the stupid penalty (roughly 3 out of 4 penalties lead to goals), then it's:

xG Man Utd 0.39-0.32 Arsenal

In other words, neither team created enough to deserve a goal. 0-0 would've been a fair result, even though Arsenal had the tactical edge in the game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I agree that they were more organised than us and defended better than us, but football is about scoring goals and they barely created any goal-scoring chances.

Expected goals has its flaws as a statistic, but in this game it completely aligns with what I saw:

xG Man Utd 0.39-1.07 Arsenal

If you subtract about 0.75 for the stupid penalty (roughly 3 out of 4 penalties lead to goals), then it's:

xG Man Utd 0.39-0.32 Arsenal

In other words, neither team created enough to deserve a goal. 0-0 would've been a fair result, even though Arsenal had the tactical edge in the game.
Saka had that free header from about 10 yards out which was an excellent chance. Willian hit the bar. Auba had that one he nearly reached at the far post and Lacazette had that air shot... So I mean not loads of chances but not nothing... Especially that header.

Corey

Saka had that free header from about 10 yards out which was an excellent chance. Willian hit the bar. Auba had that one he nearly reached at the far post and Lacazette had that air shot... So I mean not loads of chances but not nothing... Especially that header.
Saka’s was a fairly good chance, but Maguire’s headed chance wasn’t too much worse.

Lacazette’s air shot was because Lindelöf nudged the ball out of his path. So it was almost a chance, but it wasn’t, because we stopped it. Sums up Arsenal’s performance - almost good, but lacking cutting edge.

POF

Two poor teams who lacked creativity and struggled to create much. Both hit the woodwork and had headers they should have done better with.

At the end of the day, the game was decided by one moment of stupidity by a player who is prone to that type of lapse.

Yet, Arsenal are lauded as some super team and United are in crisis. The media analysis really is as basic as "Arsenal are better because they scored more goals".

Pav1878

Two poor teams who lacked creativity and struggled to create much. Both hit the woodwork and had headers they should have done better with.

At the end of the day, the game was decided by one moment of stupidity by a player who is prone to that type of lapse.

Yet, Arsenal are lauded as some super team and United are in crisis. The media analysis really is as basic as "Arsenal are better because they scored more goals".
This occurred to me too. I don't think there was a gulf in class to the extent the media made out. The substitutions were very poor from Ole which didn't help him of course and there was more intensity from arsenal, but there wasn't much difference in creativity between the two sides. Both were poor in that regard.

croadyman

Does help you can see what Arteta is trying to do with them but with us then quite frankly I don't have a clue

Foxbatt

Actually they had more chances. Lindelof saved two with a nudge.

POF

This occurred to me too. I don't think there was a gulf in class to the extent the media made out. The substitutions were very poor from Ole which didn't help him of course and there was more intensity from arsenal, but there wasn't much difference in creativity between the two sides. Both were poor in that regard.
Ole had a poor game. The team lacked shape and really struggled to play through midfield with the diamond. The change to 4-2-3-1 was good but the personnel was not. The fact he didn't play 3 forwards at any point while chasing the game was bizarre. As for taking off Bruno and Greenwood when you need a goal . . . . .

But Arsenal weren't much better and only won because Pogba is an idiot. Somehow, Pogba being an idiot makes Arteta a genius.

If Maguire's header went in, it would have been a different result and the narrative would have been completely different.

Does help you can see what Arteta is trying to do with them but with us then quite frankly I don't have a clue
He tried to do exactly what he did vs Leipzig and it didn't work. The difference in that game was Greenwood scoring a half chance which put United ahead and gave them the basis to counter attack in the second half.

After the defensive shambles earlier in the season, United are playing 2 holding midfielders every game to protect the defence. I can understand why he's doing it but it limits their creativity and means the first goal is crucial.

croadyman

Ole had a poor game. The team lacked shape and really struggled to play through midfield with the diamond. The change to 4-2-3-1 was good but the personnel was not. The fact he didn't play 3 forwards at any point while chasing the game was bizarre. As for taking off Bruno and Greenwood when you need a goal . . . . .

But Arsenal weren't much better and only won because Pogba is an idiot. Somehow, Pogba being an idiot makes Arteta a genius.

If Maguire's header went in, it would have been a different result and the narrative would have been completely different.

He tried to do exactly what he did vs Leipzig and it didn't work. The difference in that game was Greenwood scoring a half chance which put United ahead and gave them the basis to counter attack in the second half.

After the defensive shambles earlier in the season, United are playing 2 holding midfielders every game to protect the defence. I can understand why he's doing it but it limits their creativity and means the first goal is crucial.
Might help if he had actually realised that a mobile DM should have been top priority this summer but blindly keeps believing in the Fred & Scotty partnership

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Might help if he had actually realised that a mobile DM should have been top priority this summer but blindly keeps believing in the Fred & Scotty partnership
You mean creative? Because both of them are as mobile as you will get.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I watched the game in full but it wasn't until the following day that I realised how good Partey looked. He is much stronger on the ball (and in challenging or it) that I realised. I know it was only one game but Arsenal fans seem to think he is the "new Vieira" and I have to say he looked like the sort of player we need - he does the job of Fred and Scotty by himself and creates things.

So you have to ask: where the hell were our scouts?

POF

In the summer, he had no intention of Fred/McTominay being first choice. Pogba and Matic was his preferred duo but they've played poorly and the defence has been shambolic.

Needs must at the moment.

Based on the Arsenal game, a quality wide forward (which he chased all summer) is of far higher priority.

Swearing Budgie

I watched the game in full but it wasn't until the following day that I realised how good Partey looked. He is much stronger on the ball (and in challenging or it) that I realised. I know it was only one game but Arsenal fans seem to think he is the "new Vieira" and I have to say he looked like the sort of player we need - he does the job of Fred and Scotty by himself and creates things.

So you have to ask: where the hell were our scouts?
Maybe the scouts should use this forum as loads of regulars have been talking about Partey way before Arsenal expressed an interest. And that defender Gabriel.

NK86

Well thats not true. Willian hit the bar aubameyang put a good chance just wide and saka missed a free header. They had chances.
Maguire also had chance, so did Greenwood. But they were barely creating anything worthwhile.

NK86

Barely looked like scoring 1?

Arsenal had a few great scoring attempts and on another night it would have been 0-3 indeed.

Look, I hoped for a United win because of Donny van de Beek.

However, Arsenal pressed surprisingly well. Had United under the thumb most of the game and as a result had a few threatening attempts and chances. Crossbar, just wide and so forth.
Crossbar and the Saka header. Maguire had a chance, so did Greenwood. Where did you get the 0-3 I will never know.

They played better but under the thumb :lol:

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 316 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal