PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Thu, 02 December 2021

WPMUFC

did anyone else time how long we took to get shots off after winning back possession? :lol:

i tried for a bit when when i got into the minutes for some attempts, and a lot of the time was turnovers i had to stop.

Hughie77

Great 3pts. Needed them. Can someone explain why the ref had to have VAR for the pen. ? He was in a great position to clearly see. Waits for VAR. That's why we got VAR through poor officiating in the first place. My Appointment is next week in the opticians, he can come with me. We'll done lads great result , and a better 45 in 2nd won the game. Fred was great that's unusual to say, let's hope he can kick on from here. Palace on Sunday owe them one.

Djemba-Djemba

Great 3pts. Needed them. Can someone explain why the ref had to have VAR for the pen. ? He was in a great position to clearly see. Waits for VAR. That's why we got VAR through poor officiating in the first place. My Appointment is next week in the opticians, he can come with me. We'll done lads great result , and a better 45 in 2nd won the game. Fred was great that's unusual to say, let's hope he can kick on from here. Palace on Sunday owe them one.
Because it's Martin Atkinson and he's reluctant to ever give us anything.

Maticmaker

Any win over Arsenal is a good win, last night even better!

Fred really is an enigma... cripples his own keeper for their first goal, his slack marking allowed their second.... but he gets into the box to set up Bruno for ours first and wins the penalty for our third. A 'harrier' throughout, he should go down well with RR if he can keep from making his gaffs... big if!

GBBQ

Big win, that sets up a nice springboard for Rangnick with the run of games coming up.

Not a classic performance but compared to where we were post Watford a top 4 finish looks a lot more doable.

r0663664

Worships Man City
It was great to see Telles and Dalot starting, those are proper attacking wing back. I hope with our new coach helping to organised the team, it will bring fluid attacking heavy metal football. I am still curious why we cannot resolve our right side issue. Sancho was the answer but yet again he play most of the games on the left. If this is the case, I would rather see Greenwood starting. At least he can be a goal threat with Dalot overlapping on the outside. Looking forward to Sunday for more identity.

Cambion

Anyone know who the third player on the 'Standards' banner is? Eric, Keane, and Becks(?). Couldn't see it clearly from where I sit

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
did anyone else time how long we took to get shots off after winning back possession? :lol:

i tried for a bit when when i got into the minutes for some attempts, and a lot of the time was turnovers i had to stop.
Our first goal was within 8 second after Maguire intercepted the pass.

diarm

What a game to get to for my first match in a couple of years. Stretford end was absolutely rocking last night!

Swedish_Plumber

Beglin was claiming Fred planted his leg knowing he would be hit. Called it clever. The mind boggles.
I was just about to post this somewhere having watched the sky sports highlights in YouTube.

What an absolute clown trying to suggest it was a United player buying the penalty and not just a blatantly stupid tackle:mad:

captaincantona

Did anyone else notice how it only took two Arsenal forwards to pin in our entire back 4 and de gea - time and time again.

As much as Rangnick wants to keep the ball away from our goal, he really needs to work on the fact that our goal kicks are almost like offensive opportunities for other teams. If I was the coach of another team at old Trafford...I’d instruct our lads to smash it out of play behind de gea and to just press the goal kick! Cause none of our backline or midfield two look comfortable under the slightest bit of pressure.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Arsenal fans must be the most deluded around. Keep hearing them talking about how they were unlucky, didn't deserve to lose. Utd were comfortably the better side after conceding a freak 1st goal. Backed up by the xG too.
They were flattered by the scoreline and it's not as if we were that great. This was your typical 3-1/ 2-0 game than a thriller the result suggests. Deluded.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I was just about to post this somewhere having watched the sky sports highlights in YouTube.

What an absolute clown trying to suggest it was a United player buying the penalty and not just a blatantly stupid tackle:mad:
Even my biased Gooner eyes could see that was a stonewall penalty in real time. The only possible explanation is that he thought Odegaard got ball. Because he clearly takes Fred down.

The game as a whole was painful for me. My formative years as a fan were watching Wenger and Ferguson match wits with two teams that would run through brick walls for their manager and their fans. Watching De Gea decide to literally lie down and turn his back on the game, or Aubameyang (our Captain) epitomise our inability to control games we’re leading by meekly squandering chances - it actually makes me a little sad.

It’s the same badge with the same name - but they’re not the same clubs.

The really frustrating thing is that it’s our youngest players (Saka, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli) are the ones stepping up. They deserve better.

I just wanna see an Arsenal/United match played the way they used to be. Being defeated by a great team who was better on the day is acceptable. But yesterday’s loss was an indictment. Our senior players lack character and you don’t develop that at the end of your career.

Reactions: Penna

mav_9me

Can you elaborate on what is the difference? Fred was responsible for the 2nd goal as well but made up for the error in the last 2 goals. Fred has plenty of energy but was practically useless this season under Ole. It wasn't just Fred, count Maguire, Shaw, AWB, and McTom as well, out of form and out of shape.
What do I know but I thought Fred has been playing 10-15 yrds further up the pitch mostly without the ball but even with the ball, the 2 goals came from his involvement in the box.

Swedish_Plumber

Even my biased Gooner eyes could see that was a stonewall penalty in real time. The only possible explanation is that he thought Odegaard got ball. Because he clearly takes Fred down.

The game as a whole was painful for me. My formative years as a fan were watching Wenger and Ferguson match wits with two teams that would run through brick walls for their manager and their fans. Watching De Gea decide to literally lie down and turn his back on the game, or Aubameyang (our Captain) epitomise our inability to control games we’re leading by meekly squandering chances - it actually makes me a little sad.

The really frustrating thing is that it’s our youngest players (Saka, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli) are the ones stepping up. They deserve better.

I just wanna see an Arsenal/United match played the way they used to be. Being defeated by a great team who was better on the day is acceptable. But yesterday’s loss was an indictment. Our senior players lack character and you don’t develop that at the end of your career.
I’d happily see English football dominated by United and Arsenal again too, mate. The advent of Chelsea with money sadly means we’re both more likely to prop up new money sides like city and Newcastle than be like that again :lol::(

Hughie77

Total tossers, have you informed UTD, my Grandson went to Stamford Bridge with his dad, to watch Swansea v Chelsea and those gits threw coins and 1 split his head open , spent whole of the 2nd half in there sick bay.
Swansea did give them tickets to next home game though. Utd should be able to do something. Hope he's ok

Jeffthered

Just pleased with the win. It may take a while to get any real clarity, or rhythm to the team, quite a few players need sorting out, nearly all of them it seems, but it's just important to get these results.

Onto the next chapter.

rubber_duck

Any win over Arsenal is a good win, last night even better!

Fred really is an enigma... cripples his own keeper for their first goal, his slack marking allowed their second.... but he gets into the box to set up Bruno for ours first and wins the penalty for our third. A 'harrier' throughout, he should go down well with RR if he can keep from making his gaffs... big if!
That was really crazy!
A tough start for him and then he got 2 assists.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Martinelli looks a talent.

Social Faux Pas

Anyone know who the third player on the 'Standards' banner is? Eric, Keane, and Becks(?). Couldn't see it clearly from where I sit
Thought it was Brian Robson. Our 3 captains that set the highest of standards. Saw someone mentioned that it was a dig at our current captain. Personally, I thought it was the message to the whole squad.

Reactions: Invictus

Whatsername

Thought it was Brian Robson. Our 3 captains that set the highest of standards. Saw someone mentioned that it was a dig at our current captain. Personally, I thought it was the message to the whole squad.
Pretty certain it was Robson. I took a photo from the opposite corner and it’s not the clearest but it definitely looks like him, makes sense that it would be anyway when we’re talking high standards.

alexthelion

Great match! nice win, and very entertaining to watch. Good to see Carrick isnt playing that horrid counter attacking 6 at the back Ole used to have us play. 3 games with Carrick as interim and we are already in a better position and playing better than when Ole was manager. Really looking forward to the next games with our new manager. Things are looking good.
He just played all 10 behind the ball in the first two matches, with no counter-attacking.

cyril C

What do I know but I thought Fred has been playing 10-15 yrds further up the pitch mostly without the ball but even with the ball, the 2 goals came from his involvement in the box.
We knew Fred was playing in front of the back4 and this season the job was given to McTom? or somehow both are pushed forward a notch hence further upfield.

His contribution to both goals that we scored explained this, as you point out.

My real question, why Fred is tasked to make this change. Our defence is somehow compromised as you see in our goals conceded. Is our defence up-field better? No. Is our transition to counter-attack better than last season? Apparently not.

It was obviously a new idea from Ole and his team for the change, and if we are no better off, then either Fred is not suitable to such task, or the coaching/training to Fred & rest of the team is inadequate. Well, Ole paid the price.

lex talionis

The result was vastly more significant than the performance.

But even though it was scrappy at times, and even though there’s so much room for improvement, the performance really impressed me. We fought hard and earned every goal we got. Fully deserving winners over a decent side.

mav_9me

We knew Fred was playing in front of the back4 and this season the job was given to McTom? or somehow both are pushed forward a notch hence further upfield.

His contribution to both goals that we scored explained this, as you point out.

My real question, why Fred is tasked to make this change. Our defence is somehow compromised as you see in our goals conceded. Is our defence up-field better? No. Is our transition to counter-attack better than last season? Apparently not.

It was obviously a new idea from Ole and his team for the change, and if we are no better off, then either Fred is not suitable to such task, or the coaching/training to Fred & rest of the team is inadequate. Well, Ole paid the price.
I am saying Carrick had him playing a bit further than Ole had and which led to his involvement in 2 goals.

Cambion

Yes thanks , seen from another angle it is Robbo.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 291 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal
  • 19% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal