PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 September 2022

Number TwentyFive

Wow, tough crowd. Rashy got 2 out of 3 goals and an assist on the first goal and still only 33% people think he was MoM? Haha! That is a bit harsh.

All-in-all, fantastic performance and team spirit! Onwards and upwards!
A lot of the 67% who didn't vote for Rash as a MOM would probably argue that he was crap. It is baffling to see how little he is rated. Yes he was crap last season but that was the rest of the squad too.

newgiz

Very good win and a good performance. Arsenal had their moments but there were not too many occasions where De Gea had to make any outrageous saves. The back 4 is working very well and long may they stay fit and continue to perform at this level.

Eriksen and Bruno were phenomenal. We need to wrap both of them in cotton wool and give them enough rest.

With Antony's presence now on the right wing, we now have legitimate threats on either side of the wing and that provides a chance for our forwards to find themselves in space when defenders are double/triple teaming the other forwards.

The subs were on point from Ten Hag too. Fred and Ronnie were introduced at the right time to bring the energy and fresh legs. Thought both did exceptionally well when they came on.

We need to keep the momentum going.

Up the Reds!

Eddy_JukeZ

Great win.

We've got to get better at controlling the game. There's periods of play where we look really good and have a stranglehold on the game. Then there's periods where we can't string 2-3 passes together to ease off opposing pressure.

But some good progress since the Brentford disaster.

tjb

Great win.

We've got to get better at controlling the game. There's periods of play where we look really good and have a stranglehold on the game. Then there's periods where we can't string 2-3 passes together to ease off opposing pressure.

But some good progress since the Brentford disaster.
I think n those periods, its our inability to win back the ball and move it into less dangerous zones that is our issue. I think this is where Casemiro will eventually come in

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Martinelli goal disallowed by VAR (12')

Man Utd 1:0 Arsenal - Antony (35')

Man Utd 1:1 Arsenal - Saka (60')

Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal - Rashford (66')

Man Utd 3:1 Arsenal - Rashford (75')
Antonys goal is phenomenal, began with some possesion and a 1 2 to de gea and Arsenal started to move up the pitch and we really made them pay.

Momochiru

What I don't get is why people keep saying we hit them on the counter... Only our second goal can be considered a counter. For the other two we had possession and Arsenal had ages to set up proper defensive shape, they just left huge holes in there and we cut thought them in a couple passes. That's just bad defensive shape, it's not the same as when you lose possession after overcommitting and getting countered.

scottser

Let's not get carried away kids. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that, we still saw maguire come on and pick up a yellow before he even played the ball.
Great win though

Berbasbullet

What I don't get is why people keep saying we hit them on the counter... Only our second goal can be considered a counter. For the other two we had possession and Arsenal had ages to set up proper defensive shape, they just left huge holes in there and we cut thought them in a couple passes. That's just bad defensive shape, it's not the same as when you lose possession after overcommitting and getting countered.
I find this annoying too! It's like everyone wants united to score counters so just assume they were. The first was a brilliant bit of play after resetting with De Gea and the third was off of a United throwing? Last time I checked a counter attack is countering something?

Rojofiam

Or maybe you need to start watching games and learning about football....I'll reiterate, it's a useless stat
You should try to grasp the meaning of probability, variance and chance

Litch

In a strange way, I think it’s the bench that’s going to make the difference this season. Whether we rate them as starters or not, coming in at the right moment in games is gonna make the difference.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Its considered counter attack play because we had posession after winning the ball deep in our half. Amidst Arsenal increasingly pouring forward to attack as they dominated possesion. Opening holes for us to easily exploit with precision posession whenever we go it back off them. Text book transitional play.

Hester_manc

I am deeply, deeply shocked to see an interview where Wilshere, Owen and Scholes claim that Odegaard does not make a free kick on Eriksen. I can't understand it at all. 2 hands in the back pushing him so he falls + hitting the leg and not the ball at all. I really don't understand English pundits. The 2 Danish commentators (including former Liverpool player Jan Mølby) believed that it was a clear free kick.

Berbasbullet

Its considered counter attack play because we had posession after winning the ball deep in our half. Amidst Arsenal increasingly pouring forward to attack as they dominated possesion. Opening holes for us to easily exploit with precision posession whenever we go it back off them. Text book transitional play.
We didn't though, the 1st and 3rd goals weren't off the back of winning the ball deep at all.

cyberman

The second goal isn’t even a counter
It’s calmly played out by Dalot from a nothing ball that doesn’t disrupt Arsenal structure or anything. It’s just sped up from Eriksen and then Bruno plays a ridiculous through ball.
The first goal is fired in from Eriksen in a deep position but we aren’t countering anything. Third is played around the right hand side before a clever through ball.
Fans are confusing direct play with counters and it’s weird. If you move the ball quickly it doesn’t make it a counter. If you play the ball in behind it doesn’t become a counter because you’re running into space

edit we really had no business scoring that second goal. It really was fantastic

Berbasbullet

It’s calmly played out by Dalot from a nothing ball that doesn’t disrupt Arsenal structure or anything. It’s just sped up from Eriksen and then Bruno plays a ridiculous through ball.
The first goal is fired in from Eriksen in a deep position but we aren’t countering anything. Third is played around the right hand side before a clever through ball.
Fans are confusing direct play with counters and it’s weird. If you move the ball quickly it doesn’t make it a counter. If you play the ball in behind it doesn’t become a counter because you’re running into space
Thank you! For it to be a counter you surely have to be countering something. It was just excellent direct football.

justsomebloke

Fantastic result, and in combination with the struggles of several other big 6 teams, leaves us in a position few (certainly not I) would have imagined just 4 rounds ago.

So, where are we really now? We've become a team that's very hard to score against - just 2 goals against in 4 games - and those were by the 2nd and 4th highest scoring teams in the league. We work hard. We're deadly on the break. Ronaldo sits on the bench every game and stands up and applauds when someone else scores. We're improving a little every game, pretty much across the board.

On the other hand. We really don't have much of an offensive game, other than quick breaks. Our xG is a measly 9th AND we underscore it. We're 9th in goals scored too - 8 in 6 games. And there were long stretches today when I was thinking that we were outclassed. We had nothing like the fluid attacking game that Arsenal did, and except for the first 12-13 minutes and after our second goal, they looked by far the better team.

In short - it feels and looks very much like we're back at peak early Ole. I'll take that gladly, as long as the results and the improvements keep coming in, and as long as we eventually evolve into a team capable of more dominant offensive football. It doesn't feel like a stretch to expect that, it's the kind of football we know EtH wants and is able to implement after all. But we're not a top team yet I think.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Anyone else surprised by how good Jesus was for them? He never played that well anytime I saw him for the Bertie’s

cyberman

Thank you! For it to be a counter you surely have to be countering something. It was just excellent direct football.
Neville saying they gave the ball away in a poor area. It’s literally to our RB who isn’t a danger at all. I honestly couldn’t think of a so called safer area to give it away in apart from smacking it out of play

tjb

You should try to grasp the meaning of probability, variance and chance
Probability doesn't win games. Finishing, agility, anticipation, shooting, heading and positioning are skills that do. A team can be better at shooting from distance, better at floating crosses, driving through the middle or the flanks. On the other end of this, a defense also has skills that make it more difficult for shots, chances and getting in the box are more difficult. Some teams defend better in the box, some prefer are better at completely shutting opponents out of the box, some prefer to let them play on the flanks, others prefer shut them out of it. xG + xA does not truly take strategy and ability into account, and therefore is pretty useless when analyzing a game on its own.

keanes revenge

Great win but again no control of game, lucky against the teams bar Liverpool we've beat.
Midfield is still a major problem
Not convinced

Berbasbullet

Neville saying they gave the ball away in a poor area. It’s literally to our RB who isn’t a danger at all. I honestly couldn’t think of a so called safer area to give it away in apart from smacking it out of play
The 3 goals came from:
- A united attack that Arsenal cleared and United reset by playing the ball back to DDG
- Arsenal making a poor pass to Dalot in the right back position
- A united throwing in their own half

Hardly Ronaldo, Rooney, Park at the emirates :lol:

Dansk

Even disregarding results, it's just so nice to once more be proud of the team as a fan. For so long, it was impossible to like this team. They acted like they hated being here. Now there's passion, dedication an genuine effort. You can tell they're serious about the club again.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
You guys are in the “still improving” stage with a new coach and several new players, and you already look to be playing at a very good level.

Lots to be excited about for United fans this year.

Eriksen has always been class. Seeing him come back with Brentford was nice, but seeing him step up and play at this level again for a team like United is fantastic. One of my favorite players.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Feck off back to Woolwich, you Gooner frauds! Losing to these feckers was not an option for me today, so I am so happy.

Watching all these gooners 'taking the positives' from the game despite getting smashed is a joke. That's how deluded they've become.

justsomebloke

edit we really had no business scoring that second goal. It really was fantastic
The definition of a counterattack is an attack that progresses quickly after regaining the ball and leads to a finish within a short time, and I don't see how the second goal doesn't meet that - it's five passes and slightly more than ten seconds from our regaining the ball deep in our own half until it's in the net. That's a counterattack by any reasonable definition?

You're right about the first and third though. And you're right that it's important to distinguish between counters and direct attacking.

Berbasbullet

The definition of a counterattack is an attack that progresses quickly after regaining the ball and leads to a finish within a short time, and I don't see how the second goal doesn't meet that - it's five passes and slightly more than ten seconds from our regaining the ball deep in our own half until it's in the net. That's a counterattack by any reasonable definition?

You're right about the first and third though. And you're right that it's important to distinguish between counters and direct attacking.
Interesting point, I just find it uncomfortable calling it a counter attack considering Arsenal literally had 11 players behind the ball when Dalot received it. :lol:

justsomebloke

Interesting point, I just find it uncomfortable calling it a counter attack considering Arsenal literally had 11 players behind the ball when Dalot received it. :lol:
I think that's quite often the case when you lose the ball? I don't see what that has to do with whether this is a counterattack or not? Means it was a pretty nifty counterattack though!

Berbasbullet

I think that's quite often the case when you lose the ball? I don't see what that has to do with whether this is a counterattack or not? Means it was a pretty nifty counterattack though!
I guess I just imagine a counter attack as actually countering something? Like in my mind counter attacks look like that Ronaldo, Rooney, Park goal those years ago. Not someone giving a stray pass away to the full back with 11 players still behind the ball.

But maybe I need educating on the proper definition. Im unsure.

justsomebloke

A ruthless manager with a plan; are we coming back? We are so much better without the likes of Maguire, Shaw and Fred, and full credit to Ten Hag for seeing such imposters for the shite they are and dropping them. We looked like a team with a plan today, which is so encouraging. It's early days, but Erik has identified the losers and their weaknesses; we've been screaming for months about the need to drop the likes of Maguire. We have some room for hope again. It will take several transfer windows to remedy, but there is light at the end of the tunnel at last!
Let's keep Fred out of that. He was very good indeed after coming on today. Which is more than can be said of Maguire.

Houdini

You can't possibly be serious, right?
They are so salty :drool: those tears are yummy:drool:

justsomebloke

I guess I just imagine a counter attack as actually countering something? Like in my mind counter attacks look like that Ronaldo, Rooney, Park goal those years ago. Not someone giving a stray pass away to the full back with 11 players still behind the ball.

But maybe I need educating on the proper definition. Im unsure.
This is the top entry that google throws up:

THE THEORY A counter-attack is a fast and direct attack that occurs from a moment of transition (when one team wins the ball from the other mid-game). Counter-attacks consist of minimal passes and their purpose is to create a goal-scoring opportunity before the opposition can recover their defensive shape.

You can find lots of other ones, but all saying pretty much the same thing.

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 528 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal
  • 14% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal