PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 January 2023

ShinjiNinja26

Shat the bed 2nd half, especially the last 20 minutes where we just camped in our box inviting constant pressure. When you start playing like that you better make sure you see the game out which we failed to do. Sickening losing to these cnuts. That said they ain’t all that, had we had Casemiro available we win this game imo.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Deserved a loss, completely dominated in midfield. Casemiro was a loss but we lacked any semblance of being able to hold possession in the 2nd half and Casemiro would not have helped a lot in that.

NemanjaWhoah

Annoying... we were fairly competitive until our second goal then seemed to just run out of steam. A lot of moaning about a lack of changes but did you see our bench? I really don't think bringing Garnacho on earlier would have made a difference when Eriksen, McTominay and Fred can't hold on to the ball for their life.

Arsenal are the best team in the league, but we're not a million miles away from them. Need more squad depth, particularly in centre mid.

Heinzesight

Arsenal deserved it but we were pathetic at times. Our playing out from the back constantly invited trouble. Our paper thin squad showed today and the less said about AWB the better. Has some solid attributes but a dozy cnut really. Switches off at critical times.

Again, I think we were shattered last 20 and another late goal fecked us.

I fecking hate Arsenal fans.

Swedish_Plumber

Bit of a bummer to concede so late on. Arsenal deserved it tbf to them. We’ve got to go again though. Show the mentality that’s been lacking the last decade.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Some serious lack of quality with our squad. Eriksen wasn't really up for it. AWB back to old self . This is what we have when we need a change.

No complaints. Played okay. Arsenal away isn't an easy place to go for any team. We are still improving as a team.

flappyjay

Deserved loss, half our team were diabolical. Our midfield was dreadful and had zero presence, and AWB was a big time liability.
So the best idea is to take one of our more energetic midfielders throw him to the right and have Eriksen walk around midfield. EtH seems to make this mistake game after game it has yet to work.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Can't argue with the result. Arsenal took control of the game and should've won by a bigger margin.

I don't think they are a far superior team to us, but they were mentally a lot stronger and pressured us to death.

EtH is doing well with what he's got. We've got a long way to go still, but he's doing a great job.

Real Name

Needs to address his own negativity. I'm absolutely sick of him trying to hold on to what we have with over twenty minutes left in games

He is managing Manchester United and that's not what we should be doing
You think he did that on purpose?

Barthez

I thought Weghorse was fantastic. Gives so much off the ball.

justboy68

Feels really really shit to concede in injury time again. Have they shown a replay of ZInchenko yet??

Anyway on the balance of it Arsenal were far better, we didn't have the legs and we still desperately need some additions.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Did better than expected. Real tired towards the end though. Mctominah and Wan Bissaka poor technically.

We have an easy run of fixtures coming up bar the Europa league tie.

Players need a rest.

cyril C

Why Fred didn't start in a 433? Eriksen is too thin, too slow. Hardly have any decent touches particularly during 1st half.

Samoerai Jack

Brilliant game and an excellent performance from all players. Unfortunately Arsenal was better rested. Also the difference between a side constructed over multiple years under the same coach and a team still having to get used to each other and their manager. But how relieved and proud Arsenal was to win this game should tell you that United is on the right track. They might be stronger today, they might win the league this season, but next time is something to look forward to.

Last edited:

Dominos

I expected to lose coming in so not surprised.

Our ball retention is Sunday league standard at times. Was the same in the 2nd half against Palace.

Not really sure what else we could have done from the bench. Maybe Garnacho left and Rashford up front but Rashford was playing well from the left so not sure.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not complaints , they dominated that 2nd half. They were the only team going for the win , such was their domination it looked like a premier league team against a championship team at times.

They have moved a few levels above us.
We gift wrapped the win to them by playing a man down the whole game. Scott was hiding from the ball all game.

eire-red

These games clearly show the deficiencies in the squad. AWB and McTominay way out of their depth in games like these.

There's not that much between us and them, especially when you consider the time ETH has had vs Arteta.

I reckon Arsenal still bottle it from here. It's in their DNA.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Most tense match I’ve watched in a while. Feel gutted. Tired towards the end, no options to bring on, can’t be helped.

lego pep can feck off prancing around outside his tech area for 90 mins. How is it allowed

hobbers

Talk about a flattering scoreline.

Antony and McTom must be walking around with soiled shorts. Scared of their own shadows. We know McTom is finished but Antony is starting to become a big problem now. That second half he might as well have gone out in an Arsenal kit.

AWB's brainlessness costs us on two of the goals, but that's absolutely no surprise by now.

Flying_Heckfish

Arsenal do actually look very good, they kept the pressure up over and over. We were always gonna concede at the end.

Casemiro would have helped a lot, and while we did OK without him for parts, we just don't have anyone like him to break down and recycle.

Again, subs needed to happen earlier. We needed a better outlet than Antony, and we needed Fred for the extra legs.

Weghorst looked much better, didn't drift too much and was generally more up to pace.

Overall I'm happy with how we've progressed this season but it's clear there's another couple of levels we need to reach yet. Having an £80m weight hanging alrund out neck is not helping either.

Geistman

Yeah in fairness, arsenal fully deserved their win. Still feel title is gonna go to City again looking at the fixtures. On a side note, McTominay really has to be shipped off, he's simply not good enough, he has no ball retention and awareness. How we've allowed him to be a starter for last three four years and only addressing it this year is beyond me. Be best for all involved.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I enjoyed watching this match. Arsenal are hard to play against. Maybe we might challenge for the title next season, but Ten Hag should have put Garnacho on the left with 20 minutes remaining. But yeah, this match was a classic clash between two teams with some talent in them. As for Arsenal, I'm curious to know how far might they go in the CL, next season.

Red_Aaron

Similar to Palace in that we clearly just ran out of gas in the end - when we had energy we were toe to toe and there was little in it

Our schedule has been ridiculous of late and with a thin squad this is always a possibility

We should remind ourselves how far we've come in such a short period of time

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
How should he have wrested the momentum off them earlier? Sub himself on for McTominay?
Eriksen played 90 mins, he wasn't really good for any of that 2nd half. Poor to leave him out there so long with the likes of Garnacho on the bench.

Crashoutcassius

looked like what we were - top four contenders vs title contenders.

people would point to single personnel but the gap was large. de gea kept it from being a thrashing. we scored a wonderful solo goal to keep us respectable. didn't look a team for enough of the match.

arsenal celebrated like they had won the league but they should be much more worried about city just winning every game for the rest of the season and blowing them out of the water

binary bot
Gutting but deserved. Lack of depth is a real problem.

On the bright side we’ve played 1 and 2 in the table home and away. 1 and 2 yet to play each other once.

Matt007a

Perspective is important. Look at where we were 5 months ago to where we are now. I think Arsenal and City are the best two teams in the league without doubt. They were better than us today and we are still suffering from a lack of real depth. McTominay is so far below Casemiro and Odegaard controlled the game in his absence.

Shaw wasn’t getting the help he needed from Rashford or Eriksen and you could argue Fred should have come on earlier.

We are in a great position to take 3rd place this season with the teams below us dropping points pretty regularly. Drawing against Palace was a bigger disappointment than this result in the grand scheme of things. We are still a few players short of challenging Arsenal or City every week.

BorisManUtd

Only started watching the game when Arsenal scored their 2nd so maybe I'm just not aware of our poor performance up to that point, because after that it was not bad at all so surprised by negativity in this thread.

Why Fred didn't start in a 433? Eriksen is too thin, too slow. Hardly have any decent touches particularly during 1st half.
My thinking as well, not sure if Eriksen can deal in central midfield away to a top team.

lumeyes

We deserve to get nothing. You can't play like that for a long period with the hope that your opponent doesn't score.

Not sure if ETH hasn't noticed that our midfield is still poor. There is practically no CM who can control a game against top opposition. Not really his fault but I was thinking he would try and get one person in this January transfer window, even if on loan. If MCT is even moderately good, we should be attacking at the time we conceded.

Dannn411

Please this is not on the FA or VAR. We brought it on ourselves with that disgraceful last 20 mins. Same f**king thing against Palace. What happened to being brave under pressure? Far too many spineless players who repeatedly do not stand up and be counted when needed the most.

Paul778

We should have brought Malacia on and moved Martinez to CM. He has played there and has the drive and passion for these sort of game.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Arsenal 2:1 Man Utd