PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 January 2023

ForeverRed1

We played a game in midweek and looked knackered. Not making excuses but it’s definitely an advantage for them. Also missing our link in midfield. (Casemiro)

mctom was non existent. Eriksen is weak defensively and regarding pace. Our midfield got steamrolled through over and over.

awb looked knackered at the end. Weghorst good on the press and hold up play, but not much of a threat going forward. Antony a long way off the quality we need right now. Rashford a little greedy at times.

There’s still work to do but we have come along way. Our managers first season in charge, one transfer window and no backing this month.

we need to sell a few players to make funds to go on top of the budget. (Maguire, lindelof, mctom, martial) should all be sold and replaced with top class players. It’s what we need now. Should get abit of money for those players and if they got 200mil to spend that’s a minimum 300mil to spend next summer.

another world class midfielder to partner Casemiro. Another centre back and right back and a top class striker is a must. Go big or go home.

Champions league and a trophy would be a good season for us.

madzo2007

Better team won. The team tired a bit in the second half but we didn't really have any out ball and we dropped deeper and deeper.

I'm not too devastated about the result last we've saw in last few seasons this team would have buckled being 2-1 and would never fought back.

Lets not start the over reactionary threads, we are probably ahead of schedule this season to be even mentioned in a title race. Lets get top 4 and get a trophy in the bag .

ArbeitervonWien

For a neutral that was without doubt the best game of the season so far. Quality all over the pitch and the game played at 100mph, just brilliant.

If I’m honest Arsenal deserved it just, the pressure they put you under in the last 20 mins was immense.

I saw McT, AWB and Antony all taking a beating in the match day thread. I thought they all did OK.

That was a proper Arse Man Utd game and given where you were this time last year, I think you should be really pleased with the progress you’ve made. You look a completely different team and gave Arsenal a real run for their money.

Great game.
Actually you're right, we've come a far way. Thanks for putting all of it in perspective. I honestly feel a little less shit now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can’t believe this forum. We are talking about the number one PL team, with the best form and with one injury. Nothing coward over this, we played them to the max. Garnacho would have been so freaking stupid to bring on earlier, when everyone knows we are gonna defend the last 20 min. They are top class and we are as well. Good times are coming to us!
In one way it's good that expectations have moved back to thinking we can be beating top of the league away.
Top of the league who have barely dropped points all season.

On the other hand it's utterly daft to think we could have gone all out as we were already struggling to contain them.

At the moment we need to play the strongest X1 to have a chance to win these sort of games.
McTom and Wan Bissaka can be gotten away with in lesser games.

Mike Smalling

Gutted, but it was clear as day that they were gonna score during those last 20 minutes. Midweek games and no Casemiro were big factors.

I really fear this will fall apart towards the end of the season. A few key injuries and the sheer amount of games are bound to hurt us at some point. Still good progress overall, but need more depth in midfield.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
So we basically lost it in the last 30 minutes after playing an extra game in midweek…. Annoying

Cpt Negative

Only difference between the two teams was one ran out or legs after a midweek game.

if They don’t bring the palace game forward, we win that

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I expected the loss so can't say I'm fuming. I am little bit annoyed that we didn't go for it, if you are losing, lose it with some attacking intent at least. They way they pinned us back, the outcome was obvious

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm not too bothered about this, we put up a decent fight, not having casemiro clearly hampered us which everyone probably already expected.

Kopral Jono

Dunno why folks thought we had a chance of challenging for the title. Still a work in progress. This season we need to get top four and hopefully a trophy of some sort if we can. Just something solid to build on.
Nine wins and five league wins on the trot over a particularly busy Christmas period is title-winning form. Bar an absolute miracle it's over now, but if we hadn't conceded two last-minute goals in our last two games we would have still be very much in it.

We have a weak bench but I don't think we're too far off. It's up to the owners of the club now if they want to bring reinforcements in in the coming days to cement a top four spot.

wangyu

Antony so freaking poor in each game yet he thinks he is the best man on the pitch. Reminds me a bit of Depay

MUFC OK

Deserved a loss, completely dominated in midfield. Casemiro was a loss but we lacked any semblance of being able to hold possession in the 2nd half and Casemiro would not have helped a lot in that.
Hugely worrying. Eriksen one of the main culprits. Nonsensically dropping so deep and shaw was fecking woeful for how he defended against Saka.

hobbers

We played a game in midweek and looked knackered. Not making excuses but it’s definitely an advantage for them. Also missing our link in midfield. (Casemiro)
A huge advantage for them but begs the question even more about the lack of game management and subs.

If Garnacho comes on with 25 minutes left the whole dynamic changes because they'd have had an actual threat on the pitch to play against. Rather than all areas of the pitch giving up at the same time.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I hope that we get new owner who is willing to invest 200-300 millions. We need 4-5 to truly transform to squad to compete. Antony isn't our solution on the right, he didn't do anything meaningful. Like Sancho, we may have expensive flop on our hands. We need 1 ST, RW, 2 CM and 1 CB minimum to compete the season.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I agree Bruno doesn’t work out wide, and I’m concerned about Eriksen because it feels like he’s being overplayed. We need more cover in midfield.
This season, our squad plus the World Cup! Absolutely bud. Eriksen can barely finish 60 mins in a 1 match a week scenario, and now we have minimal cover with Case out. We gave it a go!

BaguetteBoy

still thinks that last goal was offside. But Arsenal was on top at this point. Would have taken a point but we are still early in our development 3 years behind them.

jackal&hyde

We played with a dead right wing at the back so keeping possession was a non starter and attacking was difficult. We were targeted by pressing the same as last year, to our right.

You can not play to a high level when you have garbage making a key part of the team.

Jacko21

Playing away from home against the team at the top who have all the momentum, having played in mid-week and losing an integral player… game went largely as expected.

It stings because it’s Arsenal. Those fans and that manager deserve each other.

No doubt Ten Hag is taking us places.

Parma Dewol

We put up a good fight but they were clearly fresher and better on the day. A draw would have been tremendous given the circumstances, but the pressure told in the end.

Could do with getting another player or two in this window, but seems unlikely.

What we need now is a big reaction. No let up in the schedule but the next 10 games before our trip to Anfield are a great opportunity to push on.

cyberman

Gutted, but it was clear as day that they were gonna score during those last 20 minutes. Midweek games and no Casemiro were big factors.

I really fear this will fall apart towards the end of the season. A few key injuries and the sheer amount of games are bound to hurt us at some point. Still good progress overall, but need more depth in midfield.
Na we have a lot of winnable games now. We could give Chelsea and Liverpool 10 extra points now and I’d still be confident of getting top 4. I just can’t see anybody in any sort of form to put us under pressure

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I dislike the defend so deep tactics.

That being said if we had Casemiro on we probably could have dealt with them.

Their cutbacks to Odegaard were so telegraphed but McTominay missed covering Odegaard so many times.

Our squad isn't deep enough yet to play players outside our best 11 and expect to win.

Priority remains new owners and then the striker, CM and squad players we need to challenge the top 2.

Top 4 is the must for the season to attract the players we need for next season. And atleast Casemiro is back for the next game. No need to be over emotional about this one. We learnt nothing we don't know already.

De Gea can be shaky with his feet, Our midfield loses the ball too quickly when Casemiro doesn't play. Bruno, Rashford, Antony and McTominay all lose the ball willy nilly and is going to catch up with us at times.

We are where we are. A top 4 fight.
Yep agreed.
To lose so late is a stinger, but when you actually look at it, the 2 dropped points midweek sting more than this lost single point.

Three cup games in a row for a nice diversion now, hopefully advance in both cups, and get the momentum going again.

A cup and top 4, married with the strong performances in most of the big games so far, would be very good progress.

ShinjiNinja26

I know ETH wants us to play out from the back but there were countless times when a forward pass was on and we needlessly played it back to De Gea, who was then passing it out to Wan Bissaka. The two worst players with the ball in our defence which led to us losing possession as soon as we’re pressured. It ultimately cost us the game.

OrcaFat

After a good spell, we’ve hit a little wall. It’s not so bad. We should still get top 4 and anything more was never on the cards. We need more signings but we all knew that.

RomfordRed75

Don't think we did enough at all in the second half. ETH should have brought Garnacho on earlier. We looked tired and dropped deeper. Nothing to come off the bench either.
Players like Martial who can't stay fit for more than 8 minutes do more harm than good.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
They could not have picked a better time to play us. Annoying as feck.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
We really need a cm that can actually keep the ball under pressure, dribble and play the connecting passes.

daveskimufc

2 games in a row now we are hanging on for dear life at the end, use substitutions poorly and are made to pay!

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Arsenal deserved to win and I think they might win the whole thing.

- I'm surprised we didn't bring on Garnacho earlier for Weghurst. It probably wouldn't have mattered but...
- I'm also surprised City let Zinchenko go to Arsenal. He is such a smart, technical player and a team can never have enough players like that. I wish we had taken him.
- We are becoming a 1st half team. We can play with anyone for one half and then can't sustain in the 2nd half.
- I don't think the Fred for Antony sub worked because Antony was an effective outlet.
- Back to fighting for 3rd or 4th and it can still be a great season for MU.

I haven't said anything about Wout until now. I've never been a fan of tall attacking players because they rarely have quick enough feet at high levels. After the last two matches I just don't see why we bought him other than to have someone who can come on when we need a late goal. He was very ineffective today and I don't see him getting much better.

Lee565

I envy how arsenal players in our half where able to wiggle through tight gaps and around our players, you won't see our midfielders and attackers do that

Raoul

Admin
Staff
More disappointing that we pissed away 4 precious points in the 89th minute over the past 4 days.

James35

They deserved the win but the manager let them control that second half. If just trying to hold on he should have brought on Maguire or Lindelof but to keep the same knackered players on was asking to be punished and we were.

Irwin99

Best team won no doubt; Arteta is (I think) 3 and a half years into his project/rebuild? we just went to the probable champions and gave them probably their hardest fought win of the season and only six months into a massive restructure at our club.

As i've said you have to acknowledge the progress made by EtH and the fact that he can only do so much with what he has. Mctominay, Fred and AWB are just what he has to play at the moment, it's that simple. AWB and McTominay struggled but they were up against far better players and to be fair, I don't think they disgraced themselves, they're just not elite players.

Genuinely think if he ten Hag brings in two more successful first team signings (and one or two squaddies) we easily challenge for the league.

Oh and Martinez and Varane are fecking brilliant. Our midfield and full backs struggled badly but they really held it together for large periods of the game

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Arsenal 2:1 Man Utd