PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 September 2023

Jimmy Greenhoff's Chest

Arsenal are just a much, much better squad. Look at the players we brought on and then look at theirs.
You think Viera, Nelson, and Tomiyasu points to them having a much better squad? They just have a healthier squad so didn’t have to rely on 5th and 6th choice centre backs

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Garnacho's hand is offside - you can't score with your hand. Therefore that's onside

Ceteris

Is Lindelof injured? If not then there was no need to come off, we were defending deep so not a chance he'd be off for a second yellow.

My worry is there's a certain mediocre mentality that has attached itself to our club. It seems whoever is in charge things don't seem to work well. It's not money because lord knows we've spent enough of it

We did alright today but just not good enough. Manager cannot teach players to make better decisions, they need to see the game better as players

We have Eriksen who cannot last 90 minutes anymore but now it seems Casemiro also can't last a full match. Look at the bench and the options are dire.

Kopral Jono

not seen more than one angle with the offside and no lines. for such a close call, you'd expect a longer look. I think he may be right - he's definitely right about the foul on evans. not so sure abuot the rasmus penalty
I think Garnacho's head/upper body was just about offside, I mean I would be fuming if that had been given as a goal against us. The Hojlund penalty incident he was wrestled to the ground -- anywhere else on the pitch it would have been given as a foul.

The foul on Evans was clear as day. How didn't it go upstairs?

Hughie77

Ffs listen to these on Sky.. Havertz dived .. non yellow??yep OK Mr Bean has cleared it .. robbed this game Hojlund looked good though and should get better, I wasn't convinced about him after that Cameo I'm hoping he gets game time which I think he will .... nothing to be ashamed off after this game .. just the roll of the ball and a drawing of a line and Evans Deflected goal.. unlucky loss

Irwin99

Positives: Dalot played well on the left, Hojlund is looking like a good target man. Very strong. We also defended quite well, Saka and Martinelli were nowhere to be found for the majority of the game.

Negatives: Eriksen was absolute garbage and it's a shame Amrabat wasn't available today, we should have brought him in way sooner. Martial shouldn't ever start when Hojlund is fit, I don't share this vision of slowly integrating a new player when your other option can't do anything right. And why the feck did he bring in Evans? Was Lindelof injured? Because he was solid today apart from that awkward spinning ball situation.
:houllier: Classy assist and 93% passing accuracy according to who scored. Though he was our best midfielder.

Yanited__

Again, I will probably be in the minority here but these things happen and it's part of the process. It sucks because we will have a lot more moments like this on the journey.

For Arsenal, they played poorly but got the win in the key moment. They'll be looking to use that as a momentum swing to do a title charge but they'll need to do that against all the other big sides (City in particularly). For us, it feels cruel but did not feel like all the other times we lost away to a top 9 side. I hope that record will improve and I hope we will improve. We were injury strucken, most neutrals didn't even give us a chance. And whilst I do think the performance was not spectacular and there was a lot of deficiencies, it was better.

I don't know where this leaves us for the rest of the season though, 2 wins and 2 losses, looking like each game is a fight. Let's hope things improve.

sixdwarf

I think a draw would have been a fair result on the balance of play. One of my concerns is the form of Casemiro. He seems to have lost a yard of pace and not as dominant as when at his best last season. . I wonder if he has had to tone his game down due to his red cards last season and lost his edge.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
If that Hojlund found was Casemiro on rice they would be calling it a rugby tackle ….

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think Garnacho's head/upper body was just about offside, I mean I would be fuming if that had been given as a goal against us. The Hojlund penalty incident he was wrestled to the ground -- anywhere else on the pitch it would have been given as a foul.

Just seen Garnacho again - his hand is the only thing beyond the defender's head. you can't score with your hand therefore, for me anyway, onside. Not sure it's a penalty but the foul on Evans is clear as day

SirScholes

He didn't, his level is so low that a 5/10 looks good.
Nah you’re just either very emotional or haven’t played football before

I’m a huge critic of his but he did a lot of good things today
So many times he was left 3 vs him and he held on to the ball and moved us up the field

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Because blocker tactics seem to be a bit of a loop hole, often missed.
And no VAR ref is going to dare go out on a limb and call that on 96mins at the Emirates!

doomy20

Its not a good post. Some small positives are not enough. We are Man United. We have spent another £200m for the second window. Our manager is in his second season. We are still a mess, lightweight midfield, relying on a 20 year old novice for goals, back up centre backs are useless. We win nothing this season
Of course we win nothing, was that really ever a question? Our goal has to be that 5th place to keep the money flowing and be part of that first new CL season

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think a draw would have been a fair result on the balance of play. One of my concerns is the form of Casemiro. He seems to have lost a yard of pace and not as dominant as when at his best last season. . I wonder if he has had to tone his game down due to his red cards last season and lost his edge.
I thought he was good today... their midfield is very dangerous but he/we kept them quiet for long periods. I honestly thought we were very good and enjoyed the first 90 mins

Yorke to Cole

Its not a good post. Some small positives are not enough. We are Man United. We have spent another £200m for the second window. Our manager is in his second season. We are still a mess, lightweight midfield, relying on a 20 year old novice for goals, back up centre backs are useless. We win nothing this season
No we did not. We spent just over that in €. It is about 170 million, but with sales it was down to approx £140 million.

Ten Hag is working with hand behind his back.

I thought we were unlucky. In reverse, Arsenal very lucky. They are not playing anywhere near as well last season. I think we we still have e too much rust and players we do not really want, which is going to make it difficult.

The offside call was dubious. I thought Ericsson had a good match. Still not enough firepower up front for me.

Onana is better or much better in possession, but he should have saved that shot in opinion. De Gea probably does save it.

Where is Sancho?

OverratedOpinion

The lines used by VAR are so wonky. You can tell by the width of the grass lines, it is close to twice as wide on the far side. It was literally bent to make him look offside.

Kinky Melinky

Wasn't a 3-1 game at all.

We score the goal that's ruled out and the game is done.

Not ideal having Maguire and Evans finishing the game. Hopefully nothing serious for martinez and lindelof.

Overall thought we played much better than recent weeks. Martial offers nothing and Hojlund looked good
Agreed on every count. Some posters are losing their marbles in here. The reality is that most of us expected a loss. I called 3-1 before the game because I just don't believe we're good enough. I called it once I saw the starting lineup. Until the ownership of the club is sorted and our transfer dealings improves drastically improves it kinda feels like we stuck in groundhog day. We're not the United of the 90s and 2000s and supporters need to accept that. Ten Hag is trying to rebuild the squad, but with some seriously questionable transfer window dealings, being unable to offload players in order to buy up talent, and the Glazers adding nothing but debt and uncertainty; it feels like its going to be a long road.

Renegade

Do people complain if the small benefit of doubt such as a hand perhaps being a little offside as opposed to a goal being disallowed for the same reason?

glasgow 21

So i take it you wanted ETH to go full mental and not have Maguire and Evans on the pitch then when there was injuries. I repeat to all you pessimists ETH had 3 of his own signings on the pitch when it went to the dogs.

Ekeke

The first 30 mins was btw the epitome of why "playing out from the back" has been overrated. Yes we were able to just about pass the ball between Onana and the defenders and midfielders running back towards goal giving it straight back to those players. It achieved absolutely nothing

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So i take it you wanted ETH to go full mental and not have Maguire and Evans on the pitch then when there was injuries. I repeat to all you pessimists ETH had 3 of his own signings on the pitch when it went to the dogs.
Pretty much

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
:houllier: Classy assist and 93% passing accuracy according to who scored. Though he was our best midfielder.
Yes, sadly there's no stat for leaving a goalscorer completely open and jogging for balls you could otherwise easily recover.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’m taking the positives from today, we looked a lot more organised and were more solid in the middle of the pitch. Really like the look of Rasmus and Garnacho did well when he came on. Have been concerned about Rashford up to now but he put a shift in and did, well plus scored a good goal.

I realise it was 3-1 but there were definitely positives to take from it, and I think we’ll see a marked improvement.

Only worry is the defensive situation, international break has come at a good time, I expect us to kick on when we get back to it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Played kinda good.
Dont like these moaning cnuts at all. Horrible team and fans.
It's a forum, and it's a short period of time after a super gutting defeat.

A defeat at a ground we lose at every single season, usually looking utterly hapless, where for once we've looked reasonably comfortable.
A game in which we've looked like we've implemented a classic smash and grab, only to be gutted that a win would only be a draw.

And then see that draw not only turn to a loss, but a comfortable looking 3-1 loss.

If you don't expect moans of frustration after that, I don't know what to tell you.

Bristol_Red_87

When are we going to be competent enough to control a game against a half decent side away from home?

Is it unfair to expect this now after only one season of EtH's tenureship and during an apparant mix of continuous rebuild and injuries? Perhaps.

The game passed Bruno and Casemiro (although much improved on what we've seen) by for the most part, Eriksen was far more effective IMO and would much rather he plays with two pivots behind him in these types of games.

Of course this is never going to happen, but I feel Bruno is often too wasteful in possession which is 'fine' if you can win the ball back quickly but far from optimum if not.

Dalot and Antony were excellent out of possession today and Rashford looked more like his old self. Hojlund looked promising.

Positives yes, but when you look back on last season, so many of the same issues still exist...I'm just hoping we've taken one step backwards to take two forwards over the coming months..

SirScholes

Amrabat, Mount, Shaw, Højland (for 70 minutes), Varane are apparently not part of this team, according to many, because “we are shit / worse than last season / Ten Hag is clueless.” It’s almost like we didn’t have a lot of first choice players available, yet people are shitting themselves over this match that was pretty even. Have a word!
One of the few sensible posts

also our goalkeeper doesn’t have super human Spider-Man reflexes don’t forget

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The first 30 mins was btw the epitome of why "playing out from the back" has been overrated. Yes we were able to just about pass the ball between Onana and the defenders and midfielders running back towards goal giving it straight back to those players. It achieved absolutely nothing
As opposed to us giving them the ball and being under pressure? The players didn’t pick the right passes on the ball when there were options to pass forward. However keeping the ball frustrated Arsenal, we needed to be better at moving off the ball, Hojlund second half made a big difference up top to help with that.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd
  • 12% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd