PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 September 2023

JediSith

Should have lost to Wolves. Didn’t deserve to lose today.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It was a mm offside based on an image by VAR with lines that were about 6 mm in Arsenals favour. It was comfortably onside.
You see, this is the problem with this type of technology. They spend ages drawing the line, but we rarely get to see much about precisely when the ball leaves the passers boot.
In my view (which counts for fxxk all) there should be a confidence factor on the var decisions.
If it can not be made with a 95% confidence, then the decision should go to the attacking player.

Kopral Jono

I'm glad the manager called it out and a few fans are mentioning it now, as it looked pretty obvious in real time. Yet wasn't much buzz about it.

The offside, none of us ever really have a clue if they've stopped the clip at the right place, and they never give the right angle either.
Having seen the incident again just now: the only thing that might threw the officials off was the fact that Gabriel threw himself to the ground in the process, giving the impression that it was just an almighty tussle between two players. Apart from that it was clear and obvious. Unbelievable not to have gone upstairs.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
It's really worrying that we started taking goal kicks longer the second Maguire came on, rather than try and pass to him!
Of course its really worrying. We've got a guy in a key position next to the guy who has the ball, and he can't fecking receive a pass or dribble or pass it. Hoofball sponsored by Harry fecking Maguire (thanks Ed!)

Rapsinfour

The things I am really annoyed with:
  • Casemeiro being out of shape.
  • Antony showing his back every time a defender engages him1-1; it is understandable if you are being double teamed, but one on one, a 80/90 mil winger should at least engage face to face majority of the time.
  • Our attackers being completely isolated.
  • Striker play.
  • City looking like they will walk the league this year.
Things I am happy with
  • Onana's comfort on the ball
  • Bruno's disciplined display today plus Rashford on left.
  • Hojlund physicality
  • Amrabat still to come and international coming up so that hopefully we can get Lindelof, Varane , Martinez back soon.

Prodigy24

Had to compose myself after the game. This has to be the most cruel game I've ever witnessed. From celebrating Garnachos goal, to seeing both of our starting CBs get injured and replaced by Maguire and Evans, to conceding those fecking goals at the end and seeing those bastards and their cnut manager celebrate like that. Way too much.

Positive performance until the last corner. Good to see Rashford looking dangerous again. Impressed and excited by Höjlund. Terrified by the injury situation. Can't be starting with those two.

RuudTom83

Injuries were a HUGE factor today.

Garnacho was very unlucky.

Hojlund looked strong and rapid!

If EtH had Mount, Amrabat and Hojlund from the bench today it would have looked a lot healthier.

CB cover looks grim but who else in the league has their 1st, 2nd and 3rd CB out injured.

Gutted! but there was a lot to be happy about.

AndySmith1990

Players don't look fit. Loads of injuries. No style of player. Terrible away record continues. Same old issues. Groundhog day at United

Black Cell

People saying we played well today - what are you on about? This is embarrassing. This is Manchester United we are talking about here. Sitting back and hitting on the counter should not be acceptable. I wanted to be patient with EtH, but I’m sorry, i just don’t see it. There’s absolutely nothing. No press, no possession, no attacking pattern, nothing. Where is the style of play promised? This is just Ole’s United, just more expensive..massively disappointed.
That being said, Arsenal are hugely overrated, they won’t win a thing this year, so at least there’s that i guess.

colombianmancunian

Didn’t watch the game, but for what I read we’ve been unlucky with Garnacho’s goal being offside and the Arse winning it in extra time. Ending the match with Evans and Harry is madness, and reveals a failure in the transfer window not bringing Kim or at least Todibo. Why did ETH change Martinez and lindelof? Probably costed the march.

How good was Højlund? Did he improve the play up front? From which minute was he included?

Samoerai Jack

So many injuries is concerning though. Why do we have so many players out?
Last season was long and difficult. Our players had to pick themselves up and work with a new coach. Tensions surrounding Ronaldo, Maguire and De Gea. Involved in all the cups. Then we had a slow preseason with a lot of travel. Quite a few are still a little exhausted. Should clear up during the season I imagine.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Didn’t watch the game, but for what I read we’ve been unlucky with Garnacho’s goal being offside and the Arse winning it in extra time. Ending the match with Evans and Harry is madness, and reveals a failure in the transfer window not bringing Kim or at least Todibo. Why did ETH change Martinez and lindelof? Probably costed the march.

How good was Højlund? Did he improve the play up front? From which minute was he included?
Both were out injured. Yes having Evans and Maguire finish a league match at fecking Arsenal is an absolute disgrace for a club of our standards.

Hojlund was very good. Came on around 60th minute? Made his presence known and bullied their defenders a bit.

Cathy Ferguson

Had to compose myself after the game. This has to be the most cruel game I've ever witnessed. From celebrating Garnachos goal, to seeing both of our starting CBs get injured and replaced by Maguire and Evans, to conceding those fecking goals at the end and seeing those bastards and their cnut manager celebrate like that. Way too much.

Positive performance until the last corner. Good to see Rashford looking dangerous again. Impressed and excited by Höjlund. Terrified by the injury situation. Can't be starting with those two.
Yup. Sums it up. It was a decent performance but ETH has some work to do. First step should be to bench Martial.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I saw lots of positives today compared to Wolves and Forest.

The main problem remains the Glazers dragging us back from being competitive. Rice should have been playing for us, not Arsenal. Maguire and Martial should have been replaced long ago. Jonny Evans? Do me a favour.

We will be also rans until they fek off. That simple,

Old Soffbord

We actually had a proper striker on in the second half. Future looks a bit brighter!

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Hojlund was good. An actual striker, unlike Martial who is barely a footballer these days. Guy could hold the ball up, and played a part in the Garnacho offside goal. Having Onana means we're more comfortable dealing with high presses. We played the game how we always used to play against Arsenal, and almost came away with it.

We had to bring on Maguire and Evans because Martinez and Lindelof got injured. Rotten luck. I'm kind of worried about Casemiro's form and fitness but lucky we got Amrabat in.
Ah no, more defensive injuries. Thanks for the post

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Think we were very unlucky today and were unlucky with injuries, there was a clear foul and Arse’s 2nd shouldn’t have stood. Saka was lucky not to be sent off either in the first half. All in all not a bad performance especially considering the players missing and with one or 2 players available after the international we’ll be far stronger. Patience is needed, but I expect we will finish in the top 5 if not challenging for the title (..don’t forget the EPL is likely to have 5 teams in the CL in 2024). I think a lot of negativity will have disappeared by the time we reach December.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I would say that in the first half we played like we did under LVG. Looked to control possession and tempo, but did it with a lot of sideways passing in the defence that didn't really go anywhere. Which I'm actually fine with in the short-term, as long as it's the first step towards developing better movement and interplay throughout the team instead of only in the defence. Especially since we were against Arsenal away, looking to control possession and tempo helps take the sting out of the game.

Second half we played more normally and were more open, which bought both the positives (more attacking play around their box) and negatives (more dangerous situations around our own box).
Thanks for replying

downxandxout

Supports Manc...ini
Struggling to get over this one. Were coasting to at least a draw before the Martinez injury. Assumed we'd get beaten after Maguire came on. The false hope of the Garnacho goal then the sucker punch. Could have easily come away with three points.

Frustrating but I hope fans aren't blaming Ten Hag for this. If Arsenal are title contenders, then can you expect any manager to beat them with a defence of Dalot - Evans - Maguire - AWB? Especially if a key part of your game is playing out from the back?

Hopefully the international break will play in our favour and we'll have some defenders back before our next game.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Cpt Negative

People saying we played well today - what are you on about? This is embarrassing. This is Manchester United we are talking about here. Sitting back and hitting on the counter should not be acceptable. I wanted to be patient with EtH, but I’m sorry, i just don’t see it. There’s absolutely nothing. No press, no possession, no attacking pattern, nothing. Where is the style of play promised? This is just Ole’s United, just more expensive..massively disappointed.
That being said, Arsenal are hugely overrated, they won’t win a thing this year, so at least there’s that i guess.
Guess you thought some of Fergies best wins at Arsenal were embarrassing? It’s the standard tactic to beat Arsenal as they over commit players. With better decision making from Rashford I particular and it’s a comforable. We fecked up so many good situations with poor decision making

Wazzaduke33

You can analyse this match until the cows come home, but the simplicity is that we are just no better than we have been at any point since 2014, zero progression. It’s another muddled, hotch potch team with no clear plan or way of playing, just individuals playing in moments, depressing really

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
No one is writing him off. He's just unproven and cost a lot of money. If he knocks in 25 goals then it will have been worth it. Otherwise, there will be lingering questions why we didn't strengthen the position over the summer, especially with Kane available.
I thought he did okay and he was giving them plenty to think about. Was nice to see a United forward getting into the box and asking for the ball.

He will get goals for us mate. Maybe not 25, but he'll do alright

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Hojlund will be a big problem for teams. His hold play will be a great addition to the team.

Felt the offside wasnt offside what with the new "attacker gets benefit" so pretty gutted to be leaving with nothing.

Should have won that.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Hojlund will be a big problem for teams. His hold play will be a great addition to the team.

Felt the offside wasnt offside what with the new "attacker gets benefit" so pretty gutted to be leaving with nothing.

Should have won that.
Hojlund, Amrabat will both be transformative + Mount too when fully fit and sharp

Kevzter

So poor from Evans man
Was over the moon when LVG got rid of Evans... But here he is again, fecking things up... picking up where he left off.

Was expecting us to get hammered after how we played last week but we lucky Arsenal were very or more cautious against us most of the game. We don't look any better than last season, in fact we looking worse.

People talking about Amrabat but he is more defensive and not a creative midfielder so he won't go forward and we won't be a more attacking without Eriksson in the team.

Martial got stifled because golden boy Rashford won't pass the ball and will instead be greedy and hold it up until he gets overrun. If he does the same to Hojland the kid won't get many or any goals... mark my words.

bosniamanutd

I think with these new reinforcements we will be very competitive. Only worried about martinez. Line with evans and meguire is awful.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd
  • 12% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd