PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 September 2023

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Decent performance I thought. A huge improvement on Wolves/ Spurs. Did not deserve what happened at the end.
To me Garnacho’s goal should have stood. Terrible decision.
Bottom line is we are fighting for top 4 at best until the leeches leave.
Maguire & Evans at center back says it all.

UDontMessWith24

I saw lots of positives today compared to Wolves and Forest.

The main problem remains the Glazers dragging us back from being competitive. Rice should have been playing for us, not Arsenal. Maguire and Martial should have been replaced long ago. Jonny Evans? Do me a favour.

We will be also rans until they fek off. That simple,
They’d rather run out the contract than take a loss, and they sure af aren’t paying someone to leave, even if it’s for the good of the team.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Hojlund, Amrabat will both be transformative + Mount too when fully fit and sharp
I'm feeling much better after this game than say the one against Wolves, or even Forest.

We get the pen against Spurs which was a stonewall, that game is decidedly different, we get the Garnacho goal to stand, same thing.

Feel confident for the rest of the season, especially with Hojlund.

UDontMessWith24

Was over the moon when LVG got rid of Evans... But here he is again, fecking things up... picking up where he left off.

Was expecting us to get hammered after how we played last week but we lucky Arsenal were very or more cautious against us most of the game. We don't look any better than last season, in fact we looking worse.

People talking about Amrabat but he is more defensive and not a creative midfielder so he won't go forward and we won't be a more attacking without Eriksson in the team.

Martial got stifled because golden boy Rashford won't pass the ball and will instead be greedy and hold it up until he gets overrun. If he does the same to Hojland the kid won't get many or any goals... mark my words.
Other than the goalkeeper and Hoijland for half an hour this is last years team

Hughie77

Think we were very unlucky today and were unlucky with injuries, there was a clear foul and Arse’s 2nd shouldn’t have stood. Saka was lucky not to be sent off either in the first half. All in all not a bad performance especially considering the players missing and with one or 2 players available after the international we’ll be far stronger. Patience is needed, but I expect we will finish in the top 5 if not challenging for the title (..don’t forget the EPL is likely to have 5 teams in the CL in 2024). I think a lot of negativity will have disappeared by the time we reach December.
I thought Evans was fouled but the Gunners dick threw himself to the ground which made it look not a foul.. Saka was lucky to escape a Yellow on Bruno 1st half, if that's Casimero it's off ...overall though it's margins and with all our Injuries compared to there's, Imagine if ww could have brought Amrabat on Mount maybe , Varane in there we finished with Evans and Maguire..Hojlund was a massive plus .

santeria13

Sublemon
Deserved to lose. We have regressed since last season. Nothing much more to say than that really.

BaguetteBoy

Can’t wait for the national enquiry how Man Utd complaining of not getting the decision how VAR did an amazing job on everything today. It’s only us complaining about nothing and we deserve what we got!! Onana got slaughtered for that none penalty it’s going to be how great Arsenal is and Rice £105 is already a bargain

Black Cell

Guess you thought some of Fergies best wins at Arsenal were embarrassing? It’s the standard tactic to beat Arsenal as they over commit players. With better decision making from Rashford I particular and it’s a comforable. We fecked up so many good situations with poor decision making
Oh give over with this Fergie nonsense. When are we going to move on? This was over 10 years ago. Serious clubs do not accept this style of play, period. I guess too many years under these cretins Glazers have lowered the standards too much..

The Purley King

Midfield is still awful.
But…. Much improved from the first 3 games from the team overall.
Hoijlund made a huge difference, feeling much more positive than I was the last few weeks.
If hoijlund doesn’t get injured over the break at least we’ll have a proper focal point up top and it will help immeasurably

FriedClams

Wouldn’t reach too much into this performance, havertz is not a central midfielder and they weren’t as effective at pressing because of that. If xhaka was there today, we’d have been eaten alive trying to keep playing like that from the back, havertz at CM is genuinely baffling and helped us massively today.

theklr

Think we did very well considering we played with 10 men in 67 mins.

Sancho must be a zombie in training not getting picked ahead of Martial

jesperjaap

Personally thought Arseal were a little timid today and not quite on it they havnte been so far this season but have still got results, sign of a good team. Whenever they commited players forward, we looked in trouble.

We look over reliant on Onana and unable to build thr ball through midfield, our football so far this season is even slower than it was with Van Gaal. We also look terrible out of possesion, the high press still doesnt look organised, there are still gaps in midfield.

We also still have Maguire, Lindelof and have signed JOhnny Evans.....none of which are good enough to be the 3rd choice centre back and at least one of them is probably going to play 15-20 odd games from the start this season, that is a big error this window as is not signing a second CF as Martial is simply not up to the task, how the hell has he remained here so long?.

Saying that I do see reasons to be a little more postive about our season. Arambat, Mount, Mainoo and even Hannibal gives us far better options in cm this season even though I still dont think we have signed the right cm and I think mount will be a stinker of a transfer.

The biggest source of optimism was Hoijlunds cameo. Saliba and Ganriel are two of the mor ephysical defenders in the premiersip and on his debut he held his own and even bullied Gabriel a few times, could also see the strength and pace and there was a great flick for the offside goal.

I think when we start to get players back, there is enough in this squad to put a good run together.....saying that though our failure to sign a back up cb and cf and the signing of Mount.....our points are no worse than last year, but I don tthink we will actually finish in the top four, but I think we may get closer than my initial feelinga couple fo weeks ago

gaffs

Midfield is still awful.
But…. Much improved from the first 3 games from the team overall.
Hoijlund made a huge difference, feeling much more positive than I was the last few weeks.
If hoijlund doesn’t get injured over the break at least we’ll have a proper focal point up top and it will help immeasurably
Agree with this.

It is all very well passing the ball around in your own half, but there is no one with any bravery that wants to take the ball in the center of midfield.

theklr

Wouldn’t reach too much into this performance, havertz is not a central midfielder and they weren’t as effective at pressing because of that. If xhaka was there today, we’d have been eaten alive trying to keep playing like that from the back, havertz at CM is genuinely baffling and helped us massively today.
Yes the almighty Xhaka that went to the top side of Leverkusen, you are overhyping that guy

Verward

Sickening..their second was lucky deflection goal. Arsenal fans can enjoy their moment but the fact is Arsenal gonna find it difficult to replicate their last season form.
Looking at today’s performance, i dont either we are Arsenal can city’s challenger this season. They looks like have a free run at Title.
Another season without title.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Iam fecking fuming and will be for ages
Another amen to that and it wasn't the performance, it was the feeling we got screwed over, more fecking injuries, leaving us with Maguire and sicknote Evans. Sancho and his attitude problems. Gary Neville I am starting to dislike him intensely. Even more anger inducing is the owners.

IRONTUSK

Quite a few people saying it was a decent performance? Our standards really have dropped.
We literally did nothing for almost 55 minutes or so.
Slow ponderous and fannying about at the back, it reminded me of a LVG performance

Irwin99

Watching Arsenal's second goal back and it's such a stupid goal to concede. Somebody just get out to him ffs.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Wasn’t he supposed to be like a new signing with multiple people absolutely certain he was going to tear the league apart this year? Doesn’t sound like he has a future here.
He's a wasteman. Been saying this for months. Guy doesn't have it in him. Skill and technique can only take you so far.

The Hilton

People saying we played well today - what are you on about? This is embarrassing. This is Manchester United we are talking about here. Sitting back and hitting on the counter should not be acceptable. I wanted to be patient with EtH, but I’m sorry, i just don’t see it. There’s absolutely nothing. No press, no possession, no attacking pattern, nothing. Where is the style of play promised? This is just Ole’s United, just more expensive..massively disappointed.
That being said, Arsenal are hugely overrated, they won’t win a thing this year, so at least there’s that i guess.
We played like this against Arsenal for a decade under Fergie, so I assume you felt there was "absolutely nothing" under him?

tjb

Can’t wait for the national enquiry how Man Utd complaining of not getting the decision how VAR did an amazing job on everything today. It’s only us complaining about nothing and we deserve what we got!! Onana got slaughtered for that none penalty it’s going to be how great Arsenal is and Rice £105 is already a bargain
This, moreso than anything, is what's going to annoy me.

For most seasons, you expect any result could happen away against City, Liverpool and the Current Arsenal; This is the case for any season. And today, we showed we can now play against these teams, since we now have the ability to play out of the back and kill games. For the last 10 years, we've been forced to sit back and hoof for most of the game due to not having this ability. City Liverpool and Arsenal all use this approach in away games against other top sides, its good to see now that we can use this, especially as I actually think when fit we are more resilient than any of them. Instead of being under the cosh for 70% of the game, we now have the ability shorten that margin to about 20%, which massively increases our chance to win or draw these games.

Going back to the topic, what annoys me is the fact that it's ok for Wolves or whichever team to complain after a game. The media will fan the flames and make it look like the worst performance and decisions that have ever been made. Yet, when it happens to us, " we should have won the game and shouldn't be depending on these decisions". This isn't just to United, but other top sides. The fact remains that the Premier League isn't a charity. It's a league where decisions are made should be fair, regardless of the status of the opposition. This also means that the reporting of the incidents should also be fair. You shouldn't have incidents like the handball in the Spurs game not even being addressed by media outlets, whilst a coming together of a keeper and an attacker is made to look like the worst decision of all time. Refs shouldn't be called out publically by the league for one and not for the other. PGMOL shouldn't be calling managers to apologize for some and not for others, for me this is where the problem lies. United, ( by far) Liverpool and Arsenal get the most clicks because they have the most supporters and rivals. This does not mean that the league, an official governing body, has the right to play into that. It also doesn't mean that designated coverage like Sky, has the right to pick and choose what they look into based on the size and clicks the club their talking about has. It's a bias and an unfair one. It's a bias that impacts fan belief and future refereeing decisions. Journalistic integrity, both from writers and pundits ( particularly from Sky and BT) dictate that they should be fair in analysis. But they often are not. ESPNFC is the worst at this imo. You can't have a platform that big and careless push false narratives.

tjb

Watching Arsenal's second goal back and it's such a stupid goal to concede. Somebody just get out to him ffs.
I think it was a foul on Evans which is why that happened.

The Hilton

You can analyse this match until the cows come home, but the simplicity is that we are just no better than we have been at any point since 2014, zero progression. It’s another muddled, hotch potch team with no clear plan or way of playing, just individuals playing in moments, depressing really
You're looking at the wrong time frame. The thing to focus on is that we looked miles better than even last season away to Arsenal. This time last year we were hanging on for most of the second half, whereas here we looked dangerous right until the end, had a winner disallowed for a contentious offside, and they scored from a corner with a foul on Evans and a huge deflection.

Longshanks

Upset by the nature of the defeat. But not upset by the performance we were not amazing by any stretch but we were very competitive at a very difficult place to visit.

A draw would of probably been a fair result and but for the tightest of tight offside calls we might of won it, as it is a horrible late goal to concede with a questionable foul and a nasty deflection. Some days you don't get what you deserve.

2 wins and 2 defeats out of 4 isn't a great start but our first two away games were very difficult and we have done the minimum of at least winning the two home bankers.

The season really gets going after the international break and iv seen enough to have hope that we can have a decent season again.

Irwin99

I think it was a foul on Evans which is why that happened.
Am i being harsh thinking one of Dalot or Maguire could have closed him down? Obviously Evans does if he's not grappling with their player but just get closer to the ball. I mean he's brought it down and hit a pretty weak shot that gets deflected into the net.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd
  • 12% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd