PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 September 2023

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Arsenal were the better team and deserved the victory. However, I saw a lot of good things and I'm looking forward the the next match.

- Hojlund will be a big help when he starts. I was very impressed with his physicality, his awareness (that flick), and speed.
- Antony was very good for most of the match. We need him to come good.
- Rashford is back to his old self on the left.
- AWB did very well again Martinelli
- If Amrabat can contribute right away we are going to be a tough team to beat.

philippexyz

Decent performance in a very tough away game with difficult circumstances. No Mount, Varane, Amrabat, Mainoo, McT(as a potential sub). Licha was/had to be substituted with the master of disaster(Maguire). Hojlund wasn't playing most of the match and we played with 10 men - Martial basically doesn't exist on the pitch(traffic cone). Lindelof was also subbed for some reason for a player(Evans) who isn't capable of playing in the PL anymore, let alone a big club in the PL.

Next summer will be likely focused on improving the defense, bringing at least 1, probably more quality centre backs and a right back. Varane's fitness issues will have to be resolved(wouldn't mind selling him to Saudis because of that, even though i think he's a brilliant player) and a new long term partner for Licha found. Plus a potential replacement for Casemiro, press resistant deep lying ball carrier and competition/back up for Hojlund.

This season will likely be similar to Liverpool's or Tottenham's last season. No UCL football, probably Europa League or maybe Conference League. The most important possible victory for us this season is getting new owners(preferably Qataris).

Ten Hag might not make it to the end of the season. Not necessarily because he isn't good enough, but there are still too many problems in the squad(Maguire, Evans, Van de Beek, Bailly, McTominay, Martial...), injuries, only 1 young striker with potential who basically has no back up and the upper management is totally shambolic(Glazers, Arnold, Murtough, scouting department...)

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It actually fells like we have used up every single ounce of luck we had under Fergie and then some. We are not getting many of the 50/50 decisions at all. Moreso the ones that are in our favour and are as blatant as night and day, we still dont get. It's not just this season, this has been going on for a few years now.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
We’ll beat them at old Trafford. We played alright considering we had Martial on the pitch and two of our back are injured so wr had a bit of a patched up team. Still fuming though.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I don’t understand how we got to this narrative of us “being unlucky” today. Arsenal were the better team and they won. Understandable many are trying to shield the manager but it’s a falsehood to assume our performance equalled Arsenal’s.

I just hope ETH will focus on giving us a true identity and take the results as they come. We really need to stop trying to skip the gelling period for results.

If his main focus is results, he will be judged by them but if it’s to create an identity then these results won’t really matter much. As long as we keep at it, it will come together.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Was the injury to the same foot for Licha as last year? I hope not.

After viewing the Hojlund take down I think it was a PK. The defender was not playing the ball. Very surprised VAR didn't intervene.

Rusholme Ruffian

That offside decision was dodgy as feck. The line from the defender is supposed to be drawn from the furthest body part that could be used for scoring (so in this case his head as he was leaning forwards towards his own goal), but in the millisecond glance that we were given it looked like it had been drawn from his legs. Missed all the post match discussion - was this even looked at in any detail?

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
As a neutral watching this game, I was scratching my head with the absolutely baffling substitutions Ten Hag made. Bringing on Maguire and Evans?! No offence, but neither would make our match day squad.

The offside could’ve gone either way from all the angles I’ve seen, a 50/50 call against you really - annoying but understandable.

However, you should’ve had a clear penalty which would’ve completely changed the game. This was a very poor decision and you’re right to be angry about it.

Unimpressed with Ten Hag’s post match comments and substitutions. Still think he’s doing a reasonable job, but can’t fathom continuing to play Maguire.

quadrant

As a neutral watching this game, I was scratching my head with the absolutely baffling substitutions Ten Hag made. Bringing on Maguire and Evans?! No offence, but neither would make our match day squad.

The offside could’ve gone either way from all the angles I’ve seen, a 50/50 call against you really - annoying but understandable.

However, you should’ve had a clear penalty which would’ve completely changed the game. This was a very poor decision and you’re right to be angry about it.

Unimpressed with Ten Hag’s post match comments and substitutions. Still think he’s doing a reasonable job, but can’t fathom continuing to play Maguire.
Martinez and Lindelof both got injured I believe, which is why Maguire and Evans came on.

Telsim

Barring the relegation candidates, the football we are playing is the worst in the league. Just awful to watch.

Cpt Negative

Arsenal were the better team and deserved the victory. However, I saw a lot of good things and I'm looking forward the the next match.

- Hojlund will be a big help when he starts. I was very impressed with his physicality, his awareness (that flick), and speed.
- Antony was very good for most of the match. We need him to come good.
- Rashford is back to his old self on the left.
- AWB did very well again Martinelli
- If Amrabat can contribute right away we are going to be a tough team to beat.
Not sure if you were complementing Rashford, but his decision making wasn’t the best again today. He takes on impossible shots rather than taking the simple pass. He messed up a few counters by holding onto the ball for too long.

AwB wasn’t great against Martinelli - everything decent from Arsenal came down their left and through Martinelli. Dalot was much more in control of Saka

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Martinez was injured, we are presuming Lindelof was injured as well.

Castia

Still can’t get over Evans and Maguire being our 2 CB’s for Arsenal away

Fecking madness

Reiver

Now I'm just basing this on their celebrations today so let me be the first to congratulate Arsenal on winning the Premier League.

SonOfFergie

We played a good game at a difficult ground. Much impreoved performance on previous games. Kept them at bay for long periods. Shouldn't conceded so soon after going ahead. Rashford needs to be benched. Don't know what is his problem always looks moody? Wastes ball after ball after ball. Hojlund cameo fantastic. He ruffled Arsenal CB's more in 5 minutes than Martial did for 67 minutes. If Garnacho goal would have stood we would have won the game most probably but it wasn't to be. Dalot was fantastic, Saka didn't get past him not once, same on other side Bissaka also good in closing down Martineli. Onana has sometimes to risky passing for my liking it will cost us a goal sooner than later. Injuries in defense are costing us . And midfield of Casemiro and Eriksen is quite simply to old and to weak (duels and running). After internationals lets hope we gel some more and get some of the injured players back.

DomesticTadpole

Fair enough but if anything that shows a worrying lack of depth. If I were a Manchester United fan I would be dreading seeing them even named on the bench. You’re a top side and they aren’t good enough to be part of your squad.
We have no money and unlike a lot of clubs our wonderful owners will not put any of their own money in instead they take money out.

santeria13

Sublemon
Quite a few people saying it was a decent performance? Our standards really have dropped.
We literally did nothing for almost 55 minutes or so.
Slow ponderous and fannying about at the back, it reminded me of a LVG performance
It was a terrible performance. I guess they are comparing it to our last 3 games, which were even more terrible?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Meh, close game could have gone either way. Garnacho offside goal by the barest of margins, we would likely have held on or at least finished 2-2 but for a couple millimetres. Evans got outmuscled for the Rice goal, then gets to it late and unfortunate deflection, maybe Maguire should have realised and stepped out.

Hojlund is promising. Garnacho always looks threatening from the bench. Bruno and Rashford can score or create from nothing. I think we need to see Amrabat and Casemiro together in these tough games. Would like to see someone get a run of games in place of Antony. Martinez and Lindelof getting subbed off is alarming. Thankfully its international break, right?
Decent and thoughtful post. This match whets my appetite for the coming season

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What a painful time to be a United fan. With every improvement we seem to then take several steps back.

it’s not the manager. The owners and entire leadership structure needs to be re-established or we will be declining further.

Tincanalley

I know people are gonna crucify that performance especially after that scoreline, but I thought we gave Arsenal a proper game. We lost by a deflection off of our 5th choice CB and didn't win because of a marginal offside. Arsenal are better than us in possession, but our gameplan was solid and on another day it works.

If Martinez is out for any length of time, we're screwed. I think it's time for Casemiro or McT in defense as Lindelof and Maguire just bring the worst out of each other. I'm dreading the game against Brighton already.

I'll end it on a positive note, Hojlund looks great. I know he didn't get a real chance at goal, but his physical presence showed what we've been missing. Lovely flick for the Garnacho goal too. Gonna leave the Caf for a few days, don't need the reactionary threads alongside the usual media narrative.
This

Bert_

Only caught the 2nd half. Thought we played well. Look more fluid going forward.

Arsenal celebrating like they won the World Cup. When is the open top bus parade?

Tincanalley

You won't get me wasting time watching an away game again this season against an decent side, god our football has been atrocious for over decade now by constantly playing like the inferior side to the "big" sides
Rubbish post. It was courageous, gutsy and the break for the Rashford and Garnscho strikes were heavenly … MOTM the keeper… Rashford looked good too. Bruno was everywhere. Cas and Eriksen did well too. Maguire unlucky with deflection… otherwise good

Winrar

Now I'm just basing this on their celebrations today so let me be the first to congratulate Arsenal on winning the Premier League.
For real. They were livelier than City when they won the treble.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They’ve always been terrible for that. Probably because they are slightly more small time than other big clubs. 0 CLs. Remember the throw in thread on here? Goes back that far.

Dookingham United

I wasn't able to watch this game today but checked the score at all the wrong times.
Saw we were 1 up. "Happy days".
Checked again and we were 2-1 up. "This is going to be fun to watch later".
Checked at 90. 1-1. "Ok... we must have had one ruled out, but a draw is as good as I expected".

Sat down with a cup of tea there 10 minutes ago. "How the hell......."
Looks at match info. Maguire and Evens at center back for Manchester United in 2023. "I think I'm going to be sick".

DomesticTadpole

I wasn't able to watch this game today but checked the score at all the wrong times.
Saw we were 1 up. "Happy days".
Checked again and we were 2-1 up. "This is going to be fun to watch later".
Checked at 90. 1-1. "Ok... we must have had one ruled out, but a draw is as good as I expected".

Sat down with a cup of tea there 10 minutes ago. "How the hell......."
Looks at match info. Maguire and Evens at center back for Manchester United in 2023. "I think I'm going to be sick".
If it is still Maguire and Evans after the international break we will all be sick.

Todd

I was traveling today, so I had to record the match and watch it just now.

When Garnacho scored I jumped up, and then I grabbed my phone to look up the final score, as I was a nervous wreck and wanted to make sure that it ended 2-1 before really getting excited. Imagine my surprise.

Too much to say about this match, but I don't care enough to bother. It's gonna be a long, difficult season, that much is obvious now.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd
  • 12% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd