g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 12 May 2024

The Purley King

Garnacho tried hard but his lack of end product was glaring today.
Garnacho flashed a couple of very dangerous crosses across the 6 yard box that nobody thought to attack. He did fine.
Neville mentioned it in commentary that because we have no defined patterns when we attack that hoijlund and anyone else has no fecking idea when the ball is coming in.
It’s completely random. Makes it impossible as a centre forward to time any sort of run.
I feel for hoijlund he has it much better at Atlanta

NLunited

We didn‘t really get a lot of attacking pressure going. We could have; Garnacho was toying with White.

Our shots were unbelievably poor today.

We missed Bruno.

Cantonagotmehere

Agree with the above, really missed Bruno...instead McTominay....

Why hasn't Amrabat started over Casemiro all season? Would of had a chance to get in flow and play like today.

Cantonagotmehere

That was one of the poorest games Arsenal has played all season in midfield. But United deserve credit for pressing aggressively and cohesively. United forced Arsenal to be sharp and we just weren’t. I have no idea why Ten Hag hasn’t set up like that more often without the ball this year.
Agree mate, I don't get it.

Tyrion

Agree mate, I don't get it.
His whole approach without the ball has been bizarre. The whole team pushes up except the defence leaving massive holes in between. Managers knew that pressing meant you needed your backline to press up too since the 70s.

chisagyu

Could be blessing in disguise. now spurs better get something against man city.

freddie the red

They played in second gear that's why
Then why rely on staying in 2nd gear when a dodgy decision or fluke goal from us would have literally handed the title to their rivals?
No, Arsenal were riding their luck and you could see that neither Arteta or their fans were comfortable as the game progressed.
Personally I think we did ok for where we were on the day, that is, playing a lot of squad players, a fair few youngsters and others out of position.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Was a bit above and behind me, I guess he didn’t keep quiet and outed himself as an Arse in the Stretford end. Got hauled out around halftime. When I got to the concourse the stewards were dragging him down the stairs while we all cheered on. :lol:
That came to my attention when the crowd started cheering whilst nothing was happening on the pitch. What was mad was that it was in the TRA. I'd love to swap my seat for the noisiest section of the ground, and yet somehow an Arsenal fan got a seat there?!

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Appreciate it’s frowned upon, but there were a few positives for me:
  • Good to see Amad showing what he can do, brave on the ball and working hard defensively - hoping it might be the start of a run.
  • Amrabat finally playing the way I expected him to when we loaned him.
  • Willy K cleaning out Havertz old-school style (at last I think it was Havertz?).
Roll on Wednesday!

Maticmaker

For me the result yesterday was secondary issue, what I wanted to see was some attempt to recover our pride after the Palace 'shit show'.
I think we did; with a scratch team, Scott as captain(?), half dozen youngsters involved, or on the bench, two almost 'footballing pensioners' Evans and Casemiro in the heart of defence. With Amrabat working his socks off, Dalot putting in exciting 'lung bursting' runs carrying the ball deep into Arsenal territory and with Onana (my MOTM) making three fantastic saves almost one after the other... I think we did.
The added bonus was we avoided giving City a free pass over the final games.

However for me the best bit was the reaction of OT, the crowd led by the Streford End Choral Society. Almost throughout (even after Cas's gaff) the chants of support rang out, at one point in the second half almost continuely the chants/clapping about joining Georgie Best were heard loud and clear from all areas of the ground... including from 'old codgers' like me in the Sir Bobby (South ) Stand.
I left the ground absolutely soaked, but with a huge smile on my face ... "United will never die"

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
At least we didnt lose on purpose unlike the bastards liverpool and their pathetic captain.

Perhaps the most boring game I've ever seen. And we're so terrible. Do we have a stat on how many times a Casemiro mistake has lead to a goal? He is horrendous. He's closing in on a spot on the worst transfers we've done.

Hester_manc

Garnacho? He was awful. I suppose it was a good performance if someone's looking for random clips for his Youtube video "skills" compilation.
At least Garnacho keept trying. Who else tried to create something? Most United players keept passing the ball to the sides.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
much better than I feared. Ahmad looked pretty promising, Amrabat's best game for us by miles and he should start ahead of Casemiro in the final, with Scotty at CB if needed (rumour has it Licha will be fit, if not match fit). Willy should start if Varane or Licha don't make it

After the farce of the goal Cas and Evans weren't greatly troubled. I know people will say Arsenal never got out of 2nd/3rd gear but they've destroyed other teams this season without doing so.

OK we offered little threat up front but Gary Nev had it right when he said the forwards can't know when to make runs given it's a toss up as to whether the ball will ever come in from the wingers. Becks nereds to get hold of Garno and show him how it's done

Zed 101

I was pleasantly surprised that we weren't spanked, but then I guess it is no surprise that in a game where we actually set up to play with a normal formation and midfield that we were not left horribly exposed.... I would hope that ETH will have learned from this but suspect it is purely down to happenstance, that as soon as Bruno and another CB are fit we will be back to a 4-1-5 formation

singhters

Casameiro as CB was a disaster waiting to happen he's too slow, amrabat again too slow and misplaces passes but maybe he would have done better if played in the right position.

Statue of Limitations

Was one of our better performances, doesn't say too much mind, but could have drawn this as Arsenal weren't really at it.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 160 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 0:3 Arsenal
  • 11% Man Utd 0:4 Arsenal