EL L Europa League Semi-Final 2nd Leg

AS Roma 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 06 May 2021

Wing Attack Plan R

Some outstanding moments in this one: DeGea's double save, Cavani's rocket, Bruno's outside of the boot through-ball, VDB slide tackle and recovery in their box, some lovely stuff.

Glad to see Williams get some minutes, plus Matic and Mata had nice cameos. This squad needs an overhaul, again. If you have players who can only be trusted for 6 or 8 minutes in a dead rubber, then your squad isn't good enough

Telles, Bailly, VDB are decent back up options, but not starters. If Shaw were out for awhile we'd be toast. Hopefully the owners will be using all of the ESL windfall cash to buy some new players...

spiriticon

Shambolic defensive performance. Was it a lack of motivation or concentration? I don't know. But that was awful.

suheilsworld

Happy we are in the final, finally!!
but that was some poor display. Need a kick in the arse for three crucial games coming up in the PL

Rustyspider13

Job done, move on. Full concentration on the upcoming gauntlet.

Good news-DDG is still one of the best shot stoppers in the world. Bad news-our backups are not of the required quality. But we're in a final because our first XI are very good. Time to win Ole's first trophy.

DSG

How 2% of the Caf voted Van de Beek as man of the match is beyond me. He’s dreadful. Misplaced passes, always passing back, refusing to shoot. I thought Bruno was going to kill him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Somehow we needed a superhuman performance from De Gea to keep us in the game despite being 4 goals up from the start. Our defending was borderline criminal, especially in the second half.

Dave, Bruno and Cavani were amazing though.

MonkeysMagic

I'd like to give the defenders zero, and Telles/Williams a -5 score but if not for De Gea this could well have been 8-8!

Shockingly bad at back, it's no excuse to say tge tie was over, just unprofessional. Still, into final and the yellow submarine to look forward to.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Jesus, even at half pace and intensity we still have them a game.
At one point in the first half, Shaw got beaten to the ball even though he had a ten yard head start.

Wasn't impressed with the attitude first half and part of the second half, but we controlled the game from 70 minutes onwards.
No dramas, no red cards, no injuries and plenty of rotation.
Final here we come.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Please make sure no one steals Cavani, the Romans might want to try to capture the Lion to show him off in the Colosseum

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Personally thought Wan Bissaka and Shaw played ok too. The drop off at half time in our play was so noticeable it was untrue. What the f has happened to Williams. Looks a shadow of the lad that came into the team last year. Needs a year playing pro football somewhere week in. Telles was gash. Bailly an accident waiting to happen. VDB looks shot. Pogba can never again play a pivot role... he's too fecking casual.
Top post

Gordon S

Attitude was off from the start and it is hard to get back from that. David, Bruno and Eddie showed their class tonight though and it was enough to make it comfortable in the end.

Teja

Strange game. But whatever, rather not dwell on it too much and move on to the final.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Can't believe VdB fecked that touch up, that was his moment. Otherwise the only starters who actually genuinely impressed were De Gea and Cavani, but those are the ends where it counts I suppose. Onwards to glory!

stevoc

Where the feck was VAR for their 3rd?

They scored 5 against us over 2 legs.

A joke penalty.

1 good goal.

Eric Bailly brain fart playing them onside.

Fred brain fart.

And an offside not even checked by VAR from the looks of it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
McFred appears to be a vital component to our safety record

croadyman

Piss poor defensive performance from our lot tonight. Pogba anonymous and provided no cover, we can't play him in DM anymore, his skills just don't suit that role. Let's hope we perform better in the final, they deserve a bollocking for that.
Yeah pleased to be in the final but we certainly saw tonight how big the drop off between Shaw & AWB is to Williams & Telles. Don't know what has happened to Alex since that first game in Paris where he played so well

Alemar

Our defence was truly atrocious today. League One level

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
A funny one alright, Shaw, De Gea and Pogba all doing the ghost of Christmas past bit. Alls well that ends well I guess.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
First final for years, yet I'm more annoyed about the performance than anything else. Don't trust this bunch one bit, Villarreal are clear favourites for the final.
They're not. They just parked the bus vs Arsenal and sit below Sociedad in the league, who were horse shit against us. This is the lowest standard I've seen in even the EL in years.

A-man

Personally thought Wan Bissaka and Shaw played ok too. The drop off at half time in our play was so noticeable it was untrue. What the f has happened to Williams. Looks a shadow of the lad that came into the team last year. Needs a year playing pro football somewhere week in. Telles was gash. Bailly an accident waiting to happen. VDB looks shot. Pogba can never again play a pivot role... he's too fecking casual.
Also wondering what has happened to a Williams. He was so promising and now... nothing. But to be fair to him, he has hardly played this season.

Robindinho

The feck was that second half?! Sit deep and try and make it interesting - can see why Shaw and Awb start every game.

Their 3rd not offside? Didn’t even show the lines to show it was on. Looked off to me.

In a final baby!!

redshaw

Fred trying Brazilian tricks for the first time for United on the edge of our box and sets up a goal for them.

I do worry about us against Villareal, sure this was won at home but we've seen some bizarre play like in the loss in Istanbul, Spurs at home. We can just collapse like that.

Bristol_Red_87

Typical of this United side that performance...sat with my feet up at H/T thinking i could simply enjoy the second half...I'll never learn.

I'd like to tear into DvB, Telles and Williams, but in their defence, they've had little or no game time.

That said, i don't see any of that trio at the club come next summer.

killerboi2

We are there, comfortably as well... Hopefully Ole can use this opportunity to shut up the "We need a trophy" fans. Personally just being in the Europa is embarrassing much less winning it :lol: CL football only from next season please Ole.

tjb

The biggest takeaway from this is Pogba might never have been a midfielder but we've been wasting him there the whole time. It explains some of our poor away performances with him in the team and why we still struggle to build up play at times. Midfield has to be our main focus this summer.

yamo123x

Into the final but boy that was really hard to watch.

Ole's subs were very poor and trying to accommodate a luxury player like DVB with a luxury player like Bruno left us open all over the pitch.

De Gea and Cavani deserve praise.

The rest were poor

Strelok

How 2% of the Caf voted Van de Beek as man of the match is beyond me. He’s dreadful. Misplaced passes, always passing back, refusing to shoot. I thought Bruno was going to kill him.
Same here :lol:

And Telles definitely doesn't know how to defend.

Anyway we're in the final. Yay :D

MrBest

It was comfortable and a great game of football, I could not care less we lost, we were already pretty much through. It was a bit Nervy around the 60th minute mark but Ole brought on Matic and I think he helped secure the ship a lot better. Other than that, they never really had me worried even though they were the better side, we were expressive and poor defensively, maybe they should have had a few more, but we should have had a few more too. I am only annoyed it was not 5-5 in the end and I would have liked to see a cameo from Amad who has not played since he scored a goal.

We are in the final and not against Arsenal, what more could we ask for? I am not sure why DVB was getting so much heat, he plays so irregular and does not look fit. I thought he was okay, was not outstanding but also was not horrendous. DDG was the clear MoTM and a shout out for that assist to Cavani from Bruno. This game was always going to be weird, we came in 6 2 up, they were always going to attack, we were always going to try and soak it up and attack. Last season we finished 4th and had 3 semi final appearances. This season we could finish 2nd, 1 semi final, 1 Q-final and 1 final. Like Ole or not, like the players or not, like the style of play or not, you cannot really complain with the outcome. Bring on the final!

Pavl3n

Complacency nearly cost us the tie. Roma thrive on it. Looking back at their games versus Barcelona and Liverpool - that's exactly how they sneaked in past Barcelona and nearly knocked out Liverpool and us.

Can't really analyse a shite show knowing all the players knew we had more than one leg in the final.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Our defense, looking at the big picture was worrying. Pogba should not have started in the double pivot. He should have been playing where VDB was.

VDB was poor as well. Noticeable difference in class between him and Bruno.

Job done but they had 12 shots on goal. It could easily have gotten nervy had they scored that third.

GeordieRed

We’re through so ultimately that’s all that matters; but we do love to make it harder on ourselves.

Away record gone, and needed a MOTM performance from De Gea to *only* lose 3-2.

Still, at least we we able to blood those young up and comers Matic and Mata and give them some valuable minutes in Europe.

Dookingham United

I was only able to tune in sometime after our first goal. At 2-1 down and the ball literally flying across our goal again and again and again. I had to turn over to Arsenal. I just couldn't watch us anymore without having a heart attack.
We know why Ole doesn't pick a lot of these players.

Ivor Ballokov

De Gea - the fact he was in God mode and still conceded 3 just goes to show how awful the defence was.

Maguire and Bailly - Bailly looked like he couldn't actually be bothered defending, wanted to play midfield, impossible for Maguire to look good next to that but he wasn't good either.

The fullbacks - over the course of 90 minutes we hade 4 fullbacks on show and AWB was the only one that comes out with any credit, and I thought he was a bit rubbish too. Williams and Telles looked every bit like two players who hadn't played in ages, they got no help from midfield/wingers though when they were obviously completely overrun.

Centre midfield - Pogba was woeful, Fred had to try and do the yards for two and like Maguire it was impossible to look good when his partner was so poor.

Bruno and Cavani - Oh yes!

Greenwood - Mason didn't have a great game, should have scored too.

Donny - looks about 30 seconds behind the rest of the team, needs to improve massively to get any regular minutes

Robertd0803

Here we go.

Glad to get that one over with, given that huge leads in the first leg dont seem to be the same guarantee in football as they used to in recent years.

On to the final.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 69% of 245 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Roma win