EL W Europa League Round of 32 1st Leg

Manchester United 3:0 AS Saint-Etienne

Post-match discussion

Thu, 16 February 2017

zeekey

A part from the last 10-15 minutes of the first half I thought we were good. Romero didn't have anything to save despite all their huffing and puffing. Reasonably comfortable second half. Pogba and the two Tony's were class.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
We had too much individual quality for them to handle. That's pretty much it. Routine.

the hea

Good win and an all around good game. That front three with Martial, Rashford and Zlatan looked very promising, add Mhikitaryan to the #10 and I think we could have a very good line up.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Schweinsteiger to play in the second leg? Herrera is suspended, and I'd like to rest Pogba anyway for the EFL final.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Poor enough first half. Much better second half. Probably could have won by more.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
I think we were actually quite lucky tonight. Could have easily conceded a few goals and may well have had someone sent off. Great result though and hopefully we can rest some players for the second leg.

krazyrobus

This felt like one of those annoying Chelsea performances in Mou's first stint. Dodgy foul leading to a dodgy free-kick leading to a dodgy Lampard deflection. Dodgy penalty to cap it, usually this is happening at some point in the season when you are trying to catch Chelsea and need them to drop points.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Can someone correct me if I am wrong but I have it as we've played 22 games at home this season and only conceded 11 goals. Pretty crazy stat.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Martial was massive tonight, he stays my MOTM.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
How great is it to have a player who can score a hat-trick while not really playing that well?
And Martial was great. Couldn't give him MotM after Zlatan scored (and earned) that pen, but he was still brilliant.

Very excited by the Fellaini's substitution

Mihai

We have only conceded 3 goals in 2017. :D
Consider that two of them didn't matter and the third one is a stupid penalty (which wasn't given for the same thing against us today)

arthurka

Not good and a really bad opponents...
Job done Schweini, Young and Fellaini can finish this next week...

ChichaKagawa

Just want to echo everyone about Martial and Pogba being really good today.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The scoreline flattered us considering the first half. Martial and Valencia were excellent in the second. Smalling solid throughout.

Red4Life_#7

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to hear from Dr. Machnik one last time before deciding how I feel about that one.
That guy is incredible!! Penalty Penalty Penalty.... the American commentators are extreme!

Roosney

Second half was pretty decent fortunately.
Martial, Rashford and Lingard really gave St. Etienne problems. Herrera and Zlatan were good too, Pogba got better as the game went on.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Efficient win. Didn't look great, but we still did our job right.

NinjaFletch

I reckon St Ettiene would have done better had they played Benzema up front rather than in goal.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Bailly went from the sublime to the ridiculous with great regularity today. Other defenders were OK but need to cut out the sloppiness. Herrera poor. Martial and Rashford terrific. Mata and Ibra also very good. Great sub from Mourinho to bring Lingard on who was tidy and provided better off the ball movement up front than Fellaini.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Poor first half performance. Fellaini should not be playing. Better in the 2nd. Liked how we were still attacking after 2-0.

Hard to pick Motm. Zlatan hattrick, but he wasn't brilliant.
Still feel like the game might have ended differently without some luck. Lucky 1-0, lucky not to get a penalty against us.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Scoreline flatters us if we compare the performances but win was deserved. Just like they had dozen attempts, we too had very good chances to score couple more even with all the misplaced passing and some lethargic play at times. Saint-Etienne have themselves to blame though by not doing better on chances created. Also, this scoreline makes Herrera suspension in return leg look less worrying.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Job done. Barring any stupid circumstances, we should be in the next round and that's all that matters.
No complaints. St Et played much better and harder than I thought they would. A good test for us, and we still got 3 goals somehow. On to the next game.

Devil81

Tie over for me, I'd got with a mixture next week. Pogba is easily fit enough to play three times a week.

Romero
Darmian
Rojo
Bailly
Young
Carrick
Schweinsteiger
Pogba
Rashford
Lingard
Rooney

RedMaestro

Glad to see that I was right about that Ibra would score a hat-trick - it's now 17 goals in 14 games against St. Etienne! But I'm a bit annoyed that some people still complain about his performance. Some don't like his game today, didn't play well and other things - but he scored 3 goals, isn't that important? If a "poacher" had scored 3 in a game and besides that was "invisible", he would get a 10 rating.

Are some people "spoiled" and can appreciate some players or what is it? What do they expect Ibra to do? When the ball gets to him, he does something with it. Was obvious when Rashford came in - they had nice "chemistry" (something he and Martial are lacking at the moment, a little bit because Martial hasn't learned Ibra's movement). In the late minutes he started to defend more to avoid getting a goal scored against, because it's important to keep a clean sheet.

I love Herrera's energy, been great these last games!

Devil may care

We were much better in the 2nd half when we switched the system and got Lingard on for Fellaini, we flowed better in attack and Pogba and Herrera moved closer together to help shield the defense better. I loved that after Ibra scored the penalty Jose was urging them to swarm forward and get a 4th. :devil:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Schweinsteiger to play in the second leg? Herrera is suspended, and I'd like to rest Pogba anyway for the EFL final.
I'd be tempted to stick Fosu Mensah in and see how he gets on. All we need is one away goal and it's pretty much game over so can easily take the risk.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 538 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • St. Etienne win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 St. Etienne
  • 28% Man Utd 3:0 St. Etienne