PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 04 April 2015

togg

Another great performance in my eyes, in the every increasing LVG era. We have been great against top opposition and pretty mediocre against the lower teams. However today, albeit conceding a daft goal, we went on and scored another. That is something that hasn't happened often before and is a real improvement signifying an increasing belief. Really pleased with this win.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What match were you watching?

It was as comfortable as a win could be.
Well I disagree. I thought our defence looked shaky and Villa had chances. Of course it finished 3-1 and looks comfortable, but for most of the game when we were only leading by one goal, it never really felt "in the bag" until we got the third, in my opinion.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Important 3 points to give us a nice cushion over Liverpool/Spurs before blue double header. Not very convincing performance though. Somewhat unlucky with not getting penalty early on and we should have had more in first half but overall there was edginess in performance. Perhaps because we couldn't convert chances early on and players started getting nervous. Team is still not at its peak so kind of expected.
We have got to improve 2nd half performance as well. If we let next 2 teams we face, back in game like we did to Liverpool and Villa after good first half performance, it would mean trouble. For now, onwards and upwards!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Well I disagree. I thought our defence looked shaky and Villa had chances. Of course it finished 3-1 and looks comfortable, but for most of the game when we were only leading by one goal, it never really felt "in the bag" until we got the third, in my opinion.
I agree that Jones and Rojo partnership looks much more shaky than any partnership that involves Smalling.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Its nice to see us not play amazingly but still be enjoyable to watch AND get a good result too.
Goals were very nice.

pseudo_canadian

The Herrera and Mata combination has been a revelation. They play so well off of one another.

A shame that we didn't see it earlier in the season.

Irrational.

Brilliant win. We dominated from start to finish, and deserved to score more had that bald moron been to Specsavers earlier. Utter bottle job.

Finally, we seem to know our strongest team, and it pretty much picks itself vs. City:

DDG

Valencia, Smalling, Rojo, Blind

Carrick, Fellaini, Herrera

Mata, Rooney, Young

Bring 'em on. We can get second. :drool:

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I wouldnt call it comfortable, for long periods it was squeaky bum time.
Nah. I wasn't too worried at any point.

They only scored because of an error by DDG. Otherwise we were always in control.

Hoof the ball

Even the usually dependable Michael Carrick didn't have his best game. I counted 4-5 easy passes gifted to the opposition on dangerous areas, which is generally uncharacteristic of him. I'm sure it's just a one off. Back to accuracy against City.

Moriarty

Surprised Young came off when he did. He was one of our best attacking players. Carrick was subdued but still played some lovely passes. Herrera keeps getting better and Blind did a very creditable job on the left. Rojo looked composed and Jones dealt with Benteke and Agbonlahor without too much difficulty. Fellaini was off the pace and gave away too many fouls. Overall, a decent performance with Rooney's goal the highlight.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Even the usually dependable Michael Carrick didn't have his best game. I counted 4-5 easy passes gifted to the opposition on dangerous areas, which is generally uncharacteristic of him. I'm sure it's just a one off. Back to accuracy against City.
I thought this as well.

stu_1992

Happy with that, good result and a largely good performance. Bit sloppy at times compared to the last couple of games and we obviously switched off for their goal, which made it harder for ourselves at times, but it's still has be classed as a good performance.

Herrera continues to give more and more reasons to love him at United. His finishing seems very good for a centre-mid, long may the goals from midfield continue. What a goal by Rooney too, the touch and the strike were perfect. I was actually saying he should have come off for Falcao before that instead of Fellaini as he was poor until then I think. Then he sparked into life, and was involved with the build-up for the last goal too.

Not sure what to make of Young. He was highly involved and looked dangerous, but the end product was missing. I can go either way on that performance, but his place might be under danger from Di Maria for the next game as he seems to be able to deliver the final ball, as shown by yet another assist.

Devil may care

Maybe I'm getting a bit greedy but I was a little disappointed in our lack of cutting edge today, we played some really good stuff right up to the final ball/shot for way too much of the game and it could have been costly. Overall another good 3 points with some good performances, but we'll need more firepower next week.

Get In Scholesy

Overall comfortable game, however I feel as if the scoreline flattered Villa a bit. Could have been more clinical in the final third but some of the play between Mata and Herrera was a joy to watch.

hbgreg

Great win against a team that was content to get 0-0. We played great and it was proven by still finding space and creating chances even with the 2 rows of 4.

Herrera, Di Maria, Rooney, Blind, Young all played great. Jones+Rojo were solid.

WyoManU

Not a great performance. We looked slow and labored most of the match. Other than Young we don't have anybody willing to take someone on. I thought that we had good possession, but passing in small triangles between Mata, Herrera and Valencia didn't create all that much. I am being a bit critical here but I really want us to show more pressing and tempo in games like this. Still, a great win which is made even better by Liverpool and Southampton losses.

Trizy

Missed this game as well as the Liverpool game and add International break to it and I feel I haven't watched United play in years!

Nice reading the positive comments especially after Arsenal smashed Liverpool.

Djemba-Djemba

That felt most like the Fergie days of any game since he went I think.

We played well and I just had that confidence back that we'd find the breakthrough and win the game.

Rooneys goal was of course fantastic but the 2 finishes that Herrera produced for his goals were very promising. If he's chipping in with 10 goals a season during his Utd career from central midfield we're laughing.

marlowe78

Very satisfying performance. Villa were using the same gameplan against us as most other sides, which is to put 9 or 10 behind the ball and look to hit us on the counter. It was a matter of biding our time and breaking Villa down. Herrera and Mata were both absolute class and have a real partnership going. I thought Rooney was mental in the 1st half after being cheated of a penalty but he again surprises us with a brilliant goal.

Naturally there are things to improve. I had mixed feelings about Young coming off because his work rate on the left was very good but his final ball had shades of the last 2 seasons in it. Valencia was also horseshit from start to finish, it's really amazing that so much of our offense passes through him. We need to look for a better right wingback/RB (I'm pretty certain Rafael will be sold) in the summer as we can be so much more dangerous with an effective player on the ball from the right wing position.

While Young played well for the most part, I think bringing DiMaria on was the absolutely right decision, as he brought a pace back to the game that we so badly needed. Falcao...I really want him to do well but he has problems staying on his feet, let alone kick a football.

Fellaini was also nondescript outside of his chance in the 2nd half and Carrick played a decent game but nothing great. He gave the ball away once too many times and he's visibly slowing down to me, even slower than he's been in recent seasons. I think he's due to be moved or made into a squad player.

Blind superb, what a signing. I hope whichever demon is occupying De Gea's body leaves soon, because that goal was shocking.

SqueakyWeasel

Thought Rooney did great after a lot of abuse from the people on here in the Match-Day thread.

I'll take the win and move on … always dodgy after international week.

Overall more positives than negatives … ref had a shocker though!

Mali_Zeus

It felt like some of Fergie saturdays, attack attack until you brake them.
There was a scare when they scored but we got the 3rd.
Things are definitely clicking. :)

Irrational.

Tim Sherwood said:
I thought we got stuck in and were always in the game until the third goal which killed us off.

"We expected them to give ball back to us from the drop ball because we were in possession. But the referee thought nothing of it and they scored from that. It has gone against us.

"I'm not saying that is the reason we lost the game but it is disappointing.
Today Man Utd were much better than us.
How about the decision that went against us in the first five minutes, Tim? Care to mention that? Knob.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Brilliant result which widens the gap down to Liverpool and Southampton, let's hope Tottenham and City slips as well. A dog fight for the 2-4 spots would be a brilliant way to finish the season.

There's a good chance we'll take City's scalp next weekend.

marlowe78

By the way, why was the drop ball given? I don't think it was shown on the broadcast I had.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The performance was on par with what I expected after the highs of the last two games and the international break. Should have got the second in the first half itself. We never lost control of the game but at 1-0 you only need a slight mistake to feck it all up. All ended well though; terrific goal from Rooney.

The criticisms I have is that we seem to have developed a tendency to only look for Fellaini on the far post for most of our crosses. He is a good option to have, though we should use him sparingly (mix it up) as it is too obvious for the opposition. Another one is Valencia stinking up the place by nullifying all of Mata and Herrera's good work on the right. His energy and defensive work is good but needs to do more on the attacking end. Also, those enthusiastic lunges are scary. Some stupid ref is going to send him off.

Red Stone

De Gea - 5 - Didn't do anything all game, even when Benteke shot it right at him.

Blind - 7 - Had his head up and found Herrera for the first. Probably the best passer in the team today, after the Spanish Dynamic Duo. Intelligent.
Rojo - 6 - Fell asleep for Villas goal, but otherwise reasonably solid. Good going forward too. He should start with Smalling when they're both fit.
Jones - 6 - Did his usual lunatic challenges a couple of times. Always expect him to make one huge mistake per game, but didn't today.
Valencia - 5 - Gave away stupid fouls, slowed down play and didn't really create anything from out wide. But he runs a lot and looks angry, so there's that.

Carrick - 6 - Unusually poor today. Gave away possession carelessly a few times and didn't really pull the strings like we've come to expect.
Herrera - 9 - Phenomenal. His finishing is so calm and assured. Also had a hand in everything we did going forward by combining well, with Mata in particular.
Young - 6 - Had a couple of good runs in and around the box, but felt more like the frustrating Ashley of last season.
Fellaini - 6 - Should have had a goal today. Struggled against the parked bus and didn't get to use his only valuable asset, which is his physical dominance.
Mata - 8 - Would have slaughtered Villa today if the rest had gotten out of second gear, but only Herrera seemed properly up for it.

Rooney - 7 - Crap and angry, and then he adds two points to his rating by pulling off that goal and hounding Villa before the third.

Subs:
Di Maria - 7 - The game was perfectly set up for him and he did well. Great assist and threatening throughout his stint.
Falcao - 4 - Fell over a few times and skied a shot. Won't play many more games for us. Sad to see him like this.

Mani

Comfortable win,3 points was it all mattered.

Sylar

Good win, three points were important to follow up on the last two really good results. Puts us in good stead against City.

Just need to raise our intensity though for that came. Was a bit too casual at times especially at the back which may have cost us.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
My only criticism is we still haven't put in a full 90. We had great 1st halves vs Tot and LP then took foot off pedal in 2nd. Today started like we were going to run them off the pitch and then there were some stretches where we looked very ordinary and didn't put the game away till late.

RedStarUnited

77% possession, 3 goals scored and people still didnt think it was a convincing perfomance. Lol

OneUnited24

Todays win gives me more confidence in believing our change in fortune is not superficial but actual development which makes me feel all warm inside :) Our movement and decision making has been great the past 3 games.

The wins vs Tottenham and Liverpool were extremely satisfying but was sure against sides that are intent on defending (like Villa today) we would struggle to get going. But some of our passing and triangles with Mata/Herrera/Valencia was brilliant. It really pulled Villa out of position and made space for others.

The only issue i have with the past 3 games is we are usually great in the first half but fade somewhat in the second, almost like we are playing within ourselves. I prefer seeing United go for the kill when we see blood :devil:

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
3 big wins in a row (I know this was only Villa)
We always win on days I get married on.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Very satisfying performance. Villa were using the same gameplan against us as most other sides, which is to put 9 or 10 behind the ball and look to hit us on the counter. It was a matter of biding our time and breaking Villa down. Herrera and Mata were both absolute class and have a real partnership going. I thought Rooney was mental in the 1st half after being cheated of a penalty but he again surprises us with a brilliant goal.

Naturally there are things to improve. I had mixed feelings about Young coming off because his work rate on the left was very good but his final ball had shades of the last 2 seasons in it. Valencia was also horseshit from start to finish, it's really amazing that so much of our offense passes through him. We need to look for a better right wingback/RB (I'm pretty certain Rafael will be sold) in the summer as we can be so much more dangerous with an effective player on the ball from the right wing position.

While Young played well for the most part, I think bringing DiMaria on was the absolutely right decision, as he brought a pace back to the game that we so badly needed. Falcao...I really want him to do well but he has problems staying on his feet, let alone kick a football.

Fellaini was also nondescript outside of his chance in the 2nd half and Carrick played a decent game but nothing great. He gave the ball away once too many times and he's visibly slowing down to me, even slower than he's been in recent seasons. I think he's due to be moved or made into a squad player.

Blind superb, what a signing. I hope whichever demon is occupying De Gea's body leaves soon, because that goal was shocking.
Good post. I'm thinking Carrick and Fellaini might be just suffering from the international break and especially in Carricks case, he has played a lot since coming back from injury and he may just be having a slight lull now due to this and the international break. He should hopefully get back to normal now with one game a week and being managed carefully, although his age and injuries are going to be more noticeable now.

Fantastic game today though with some great goals and other results all in our favour. Looking forward to Match of the Day tonight!

Man of the Match

Ander Herrera image Ander Herrera 91% of 884 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 597 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw