g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sun, 30 April 2023

Redbandito

Phew, huge win with gutsy performance by a lot of the squad.

Good game from Bruno almost ruined by idiotically not getting that ball to the corner at the end. How can he be that stupid there and such a smart player. That goal would have been on him.
Is he? I’m not really sure I think Bruno is a smart player. He’s a good player. He’s a creative player. But he has the same propensity as say, a Fred, to leave you scratching your head at times. Lots of unforced errors.

BTW, Bruno’s sitter in the 6 yard box, could’ve iced the game. Should’ve been an easy finish to make it 2-0.

lex talionis

That's simply not accurate. He has been good for us this season, on the sadly far too few occasions when he has been able to play. He's been much better than the sorry spectacles we've had from him the previous two seasons, and really at more or less the levels you'd expect from a good forward on a top team, if you look at it overall. But people will stick to the impressions they have already formed, and jump at individual performances to confirm them - with recency bias thrown in.
It's certainly possible that my impressions of his current outstanding form are clouded by his past horrifying form, but it's also possible that your impressions of his past oustanding form -- which was three seasons ago -- cloud your impressions of his current horrifying form.

No one will argue that Martial has the heart that Bruno so perhaps it's an unfair question, but regardless of what you might type here in defense of Anthony Martial can you, in your heart of hearts, ever see Martial put in the kind of effort that Bruno did to score the goal that Bruno scored for the lone goal of the match to ensure victory we badly needed?

Never in a million years, mate.

Bruno is no striker and does not have the dribbling DNA that Martial has, but he fights for his meals and puts his back into his living. Whatever the reasons may be, Martial wants his meals served on a platter to him and puts his back on a hammock.

moodyred

He pretty much has, yes - with the proviso, as mentioned, that he hasn't played much. EtH says so, his stats say so, his goal output says so, as far as I'm concerned the eye test says so. I want Maguire gone too, all I'm saying is have a sense of perspective here - our bench is neither short or weak by comparison with other PL clubs.
It is weak if we intend to challenge for Top spot.

It's ok to have a different opinion about Martial.

Man of the Match

Victor Lindelof image Victor Lindelof 71% of 249 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw