g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sun, 30 April 2023

Teja

We're limping our way towards the end of the season
Limping was the previous 4 years in the PL where every single team was doing their best to not be 4th.

This year we've been setting a 2 points per game pace which would put us at 76 (higher total than when we finished 2nd under Ole).

I think we're doing really well given all the shit Ten Hag had to deal with early on in the season.

BorisManUtd

It was far from perfect in terms od attacking display, thought we were poor in final 3rd and couldn't capitalise on their mistakes and all turnovers we made but deserved to win it 1-0.

Some fans unhappy with recent performances but it was our 55th game of the season and there's 7 more to go. We only played 49 games whole last season and there was no World Cup break like this year.

Cantonagotmehere

It was far from perfect in terms od attacking display, thought we were poor in final 3rd and couldn't capitalise on their mistakes and all turnovers we made but deserved to win it 1-0.

Some fans unhappy with recent performances but it was our 55th game of the season and there's 7 more to go. We only played 49 games whole last season and there was no World Cup break like this year.
Right on, mate.

Cantonagotmehere

Very happy with many performances, epscially Malacia after his tough time of late. Good on him.

Can Lindelof be the 3rd guy behind Varane and Martinez, next year? I think so. Save money to use elsewhere.

Bruno was awesome but I lost my mind when he lost the ball in min 93. Just kick it to the corner and game over. That finall free kick scared me to death

Gordon S

Casemiro decided to turn up again and our football just works again. We need him to keep this up for the run in

Alek M

Da manic one
DDG played well from the back. Good distributions and came out when needed which he usually does not.
We were outstanding in breaking their press.
Frustrating from Sancho to not be able to go at players and outrun the defenders.
Rashford is tired

Lindeloff was outstanding

we need to have better decision making in the last 1/3rd

freddie the red

A draw at Anfield would have been the icing so of course spurs had to collapse to 3 nil within 15 mins, but, hello, 3-3 deep into time added on until agent Moura put it on a plate for Jota and 4-3.
Oh well, at least we kept those below us at arm's length. :)

mav_9me

First time under Emery Villa haven't scored apparently. Brilliant. They didn't really threaten much at all.

Lord Zlatan

Good performance considering all the games we are playing. Really lacking a cutting edge up front though. Bruno class, Lindeloff again a different player without MaGuire and Casemiro normal service resumed. This was a tough fixture so a really important win and three points. Win our remaining home games and a point away we should be safe. Thats assuming Liverpool win every game which is far from assured.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
The rule of thumb for Sancho is if it’s not 10/10 it’s shocking
Sounds like the formula for the 100 times he lost possession.

First time under Emery Villa haven't scored apparently. Brilliant. They didn't really threaten much at all.
Mate did you not see the end when we had a few goalmouth scrambles, bloody hell if thats not threatening the goal then I don't know what is!

Robertd0803

Get in there. Was always going to be a tough game against a pretty decent Villa side. Just need to keep picking up the points at this stage.

And by Christ Spurs are useless.

AndyMUFC

Got the win without having to play particularly well in a poor spectacle but defence and Casemiro were very solid. Villa were shite, they were lucky that we weren't better going forward with their ridiculously high line because the ball over the top was on the entire game. Don't know who decided that was the tactic to use against us :lol:

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Didn't see the game unfortunately but surely even the most pessimistic of our fans must see that our home form will take us to top 4. Just three more wins will do ( because Brighton ain't winning all of their remaining games with those fixtures, i'm very confident of that)
Three more wins? Nerves will be shattered

mav_9me

Sounds like the formula for the 100 times he lost possession.

Mate did you not see the end when we had a few goalmouth scrambles, bloody hell if thats not threatening the goal then I don't know what is!
Was there a few? That goal line clearance, I think Ollie Watkins was offside in the build up. They never replayed that part, so who knows.

We ultimately defended their attacks no? Even if it was Lindelof with a brilliant header, he is part of the defense. Not like they had chances did they?

Spaghetti

Mom's
Second half performance once again disappointing. Thought Sancho did well. CB pairing were solid.

We need someone who can control the possession when Eriksen isn’t on the pitch.
Given his performance today (and in general recently), we need someone who can play instead of him.

Red00012

We’ve won 4 of our last 5 league games (should be 5/5 to be honest) and reached a FA cup final against a side everybody on here told me we’d lose to in between?
Since we lost v Newcastle we have been very good League wise
These positive posts are few and far between. Anyone would think we were fighting for a top 6 finish. That Brighton thread is depressing to read.
I think it’s been a good few weeks considering we’ve lost our 2 1st choice CB’s and we don’t have a striker we can rely on

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was there a few? That goal line clearance, I think Ollie Watkins was offside in the build up. They never replayed that part, so who knows.

We ultimately defended their attacks no? Even if it was Lindelof with a brilliant header, he is part of the defense. Not like they had chances did they?
We did a few sporadic good moves. First half Ollie probably taps in if he dosen't slip with the conditions. It still came through to Moreno who got a solid low shot in but decent save from De Gea.

Second half Ramsey charged into the box but shot was blocked by Shaw I think. Buendia also was allergic to shooting from just outside the box for some bizarre reason, he spurned two decent openings.

We played the match a bit like a european away leg which is no surprise given who we have in charge now.

I think you realised we were a bit toothless and were happy to sit on the 1-0 and conserve energy for Brighton on Thursday, at least I hope so.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We did a few sporadic good moves. First half Ollie probably taps in if he dosen't slip with the conditions. It still came through to Moreno who got a solid low shot in but decent save from De Gea.

Second half Ramsey charged into the box but shot was blocked by Shaw I think. Buendia also was allergic to shooting from just outside the box for some bizarre reason, he spurned two decent openings.

We played the match a bit like a european away leg which is no surprise given who we have in charge now.

I think you realised we were a bit toothless and were happy to sit on the 1-0 and conserve energy for Brighton on Thursday, at least I hope so.
Thought you boys were quite good, created some great chances. But what was with the high line and average press? If united were on their game they'd have scored a few.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought you boys were quite good, created some great chances. But what was with the high line and average press? If united were on their game they'd have scored a few.
Midfield was off today for sure. Luiz, Ramsey and Buendia all had mediocre games compared to their general standard in last two months.

We do the high line every game and players have got far more used to it since it got exposed v Liverpool on Boxing day.

I think if you'd played Rashford on the left instead of CF you'd have got through a few more times.

always_hoping

Greasy hair Emery still hasn't won a match in Old Trafford.

April 2023 - 1-0 loss in the Premier league as Villa manager
Nov 2022 - 4-2 loss in the league cup as Villa manager
Sept 2021 - 2-1 loss in the Champions league group as Villarreal manager
Sept 2019 - 1-1 in the Premier league as Arsenal manager
Dec 2018 - 2-2 in the Premier league as Arsenal manager
Dec 2010 - 1-1 in the champions league as Valencia manager

Unfortunately I attended the three draws,

davidmichael

Far more nervy than it should have been as we should have won by at least a couple ot goals and maybe even 3 or 4.

I’d say it was Lindelof’s best game for us and shows when he isn’t alongside Maguire or Bailly he’s actually a good defender, even when playing alongside Tuanzebe he always looked good as did Tuanzebe.

It was another great game for Shaw whilst Malacia and Casemiro returned to form which is great leading into two away games coming up next for us.

Another frustrating game by Sancho as he finds the space and positions yet cuts in then goes back outside then cuts in again by which time he’s been closed down or dispossessed, another game also that showed Rashford isn’t a centre forward as he doesn’t have the natural instinct or positioning.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Good summary. Undefeated week, cup final reached, home league win. Not losing away to a top 5 (at the time) team.
We've played an unbelievable amount of games for our squad. To win in a relatively controlled fashion against one of the best form teams in the league is something to feel very positive about.
Sane post alert

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Greasy hair Emery still hasn't won a match in Old Trafford.

April 2023 - 1-0 loss in the Premier league as Villa manager
Nov 2022 - 4-2 loss in the league cup as Villa manager
Sept 2021 - 2-1 loss in the Champions league group as Villarreal manager
Sept 2019 - 1-1 in the Premier league as Arsenal manager
Dec 2018 - 2-2 in the Premier league as Arsenal manager
Dec 2010 - 1-1 in the champions league as Valencia manager

Unfortunately I attended the three draws,
1-1 vs Valencia, I think was Anderson's first goal ever or something? Fun match. As are many of the others...

mav_9me

Don't disagree. Not that many clear chances or even half chances.

But yeah I think your midfield wasn't great today.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
4 takeaways I’ve had from this game:

(1) Lindelof is decent if Maguire is out of the picture.

(2) Eriksen isn’t a sustainable option for us. Great player but can’t keep up the intensity for more than 45 mins. In fact a midfielder with similar creativity levels should be our top transfer priority along with a proven striker.

(3) what a brilliant player Shaw is transitioning between LB and CB sometimes in a back 3 as well.

(4) We need a replacement for Martial whose days with us are numbered I’d assume

next_number_seven

4 takeaways I’ve had from this game:

(1) Lindelof is decent if Maguire is out of the picture.

(2) Eriksen isn’t a sustainable option for us. Great player but can’t keep up the intensity for more than 45 mins. In fact a midfielder with similar creativity levels should be our top transfer priority along with a proven striker.

(3) what a brilliant player Shaw is transitioning between LB and CB sometimes in a back 3 as well.

(4) We need a replacement for Martial whose days with us are numbered I’d assume
Eriksens class though. So creative.

Maybe we could bring him on when the game opens up

always_hoping

Villa is one of the best teams in the league for a while now, scored in every game and you’re complaining it was a close game?
Just a few days ago Ten Hag was telling us how tiring this week has been.
It’s a great win
Yep and some seem have ignored the good form Villa was in coming into that game today.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We’ve won 4 of our last 5 league games (should be 5/5 to be honest) and reached a FA cup final against a side everybody on here told me we’d lose to in between?
Since we lost v Newcastle we have been very good League wise
Results have been grinded, the football isn't great

Paul_Scholes18

Very big win, but so gutted Pool got that late goal. Without it I would have felt a point vs Brighton would be enough to secure top 4 since Brighton if they win all games are ahead of Liverpool.

If we beat Brighton I feel safe enough with the games we have left even if Liverpool win them all, but if we give Liverpool momentum it could go badly.

Man of the Match

Victor Lindelof image Victor Lindelof 71% of 249 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw