PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Tue, 26 December 2023

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Mainoo is only 18. Kambwala, Gore, and Garnacho are 19. Højlund is 20. We have half our rebuild right there.
ETH would have bought himself a lot of credit in the bank if he had played & developed a lot of the kids this season instead of buying some redundant talents like Mount, Antony etc. Be brave.

But instead, his formation & player selection have been cautious and unimaginative. Thats why he has little left in the bank for me.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
ETH would have bought himself a lot of credit in the bank if he had played & developed a lot of the kids this season instead of buying some redundant talents like Mount, Antony etc. Be brave.

But instead, his formation & player selection have been cautious and unimaginative. Thats why he has little left in the bank for me.
Erm - what!?

He's playing more than Fergie did!!

Get In Scholesy

No. Not at all.

Not related bit is Evans better now than when he played for us preciously ?
Not at all. For large parts of his early United Career, he was just surrounded by much better players at the time, so he didn’t look great. Then he was shipped out because he didn’t fit the philosophy of certain managers. He looks “better” now because we are a lot more crap, thus making him stand out.

I have been delighted with his performances though.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
He hasnt. The Villa game was an exception to the rule. I just wished he would have the balls to use/develop the kids more.
Garnacho all season? Mainoo as soon as he was fit? Big Willy last week over Luke Shaw? Jesus you're a hard man to please/

croadyman

Hopefully we can back this up after two failed attempts at doing that recently,definitely had a feel of 2-0 down at home to Newcastle under Mourinho in 2018. Maybe players looked up at Brailsford and thought we need to get arse in gear

ants7

Great boxing day match at OT, nice to get 3 points, and some great individual performances but I'm not letting this team off the hook so easily. They've fooled me time and time again and proved that a bad performance is just around the corner. Happy for Rasmus though.

suheilsworld

Great performance in the second half and after going down. The next step is a consistent run of results, especially against teams in the bottom half. Please do not let this be another false dawn

Wing Attack Plan R

Evans and Eriksen were immense. When we sold Evans, I was convinced he was still our best CB, and here is back after 7 years away and still our best CB. Eriksen's creativity has been missing for awhile, but I think he was instrumental today. Hopefully ten Hag sticks with this lineup.

pacifictheme

He hasnt. The Villa game was an exception to the rule. I just wished he would have the balls to use/develop the kids more.
Last match we started with three teenagers and a twenty year old. This match we started with two and a twenty year old and brought on two more teenagers and another twenty year old.

Garnacho has had regular playing time both seasons under ten hag and as soon as mainoo was fit he got on the team.

I am not sure many others have shown any sign of being good enough yet.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Last match we started with three teenagers and a twenty year old. This match we started with two and a twenty year old and brought on two more teenagers and another twenty year old.

Garnacho has had regular playing time both seasons under ten hag and as soon as mainoo was fit he got on the team.

Anyway I just hope he plays more with the kids like he did last night.

Show some minerals. They will be inconsistent, naive, and yet brillant all at the same time. The kids are what makes Manchester United who we are.

Jeffthered

Second half was probably the best we played this season.

I loved the win, but in grand scheme of things, it does not change much.
Second half was good, we played like how we should.. worked hard, more direct too. We had nothing to lose being 2-0 down at home, but we did really, really well, and the players and manager deserve the credit today. A few things were clear to me:
  • That front three is probably our best imo. They are a handful for any defense. Need's work of course, but it's the best we have. It gives Bruno, Eriksen more options.
  • The attacking line up simplified Garnacho's game, playing from the right side and he was a handful throughout. Makes a big difference when you have a wide player, playing with his natural kicking (preferred) foot, rather than cutting (inverting..?) all the time. We looked far better. Rashford seemed more comfortable although he really needs someone to coach him.. his game is far too complicated for what it should be. He isn't good enough to try some of the things he does.
  • Garnacho was superb, just his attitude.. he keeps trying, and trying. He scored two, and had one disallowed. I can't recall any Man Utd forward doing that for us for a very, very long time. Being on the right suits him, he thinks less, and is more consistent, because his game is more straightforward. He doesn't sulk when he doesn't play his 'preferred' position.
  • Eriksen made a big difference. Eriksen is an important player for us, brings a sense of calm, vision (but we cannot ask him to do things he isn't set up to do, he's no enforcer, defender and we are not Citeh' who keep possession etc...)
  • Have to say well done to Johnny Evans, who has been really good since he has been there.. in the sense that he has given us a bit of stability (he is available, plays etc.. look at the players around him, always changing, not fit, lose form etc..Martinez, Varane, Maguire, Lindeholf..). Evans is trying in difficult circumstances.
  • And well done Rasmus. Hopefully this will settle him a bit, and he can keep doing what he is doing. Just keep working hard and score a few. I don't think we are asking for more than that. He will never forget the fans adulation for him, when he scored that goal. Never.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
In this type of game, when the opponents press hig and leave spaces behind, without being City, the connexion between Eriksen, Bruno and Rashford is brilliant.

I think we were absolutely poor during 30 minutes. Villa didn't played well, didn't pressed or wasn't really dangerous (think Bournemouth showed more dominance globaly) but we were poor.

Then we took confidence with these many off sides, when we knew that one ball to Rashford or Garnacho was enough to hurt them.

Villa's defense is poor running behind. Emery made a mistake having Konsa against Rashford, and Digne had issues defending inside against Garnacho, which gave him space to run.

Mainoo were very very good and gave us an extra man with a ease ball at his feet, so basically we were in control when we had the ball.

I thought that during these 30-35 mins, Evans and Rafa were poor with the ball such as Dalot, but they improved later.

And to me Bruno is the MOTM. He is the starter of the press, the one who gave the goods balls and fought like a devil.

I will never understand how we can criticize him in this team.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Our defence still worries me. That second Villa goal showed how we’re often weak positionally (and from a man marking perspective) in the box when dealing with balls coming in. Hope things start settling at the back.

But our attacking efforts and pressure on the press and counter-press was the best I’ve seen this season.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
In this type of game, when the opponents press hig and leave spaces behind, without being City, the connexion between Eriksen, Bruno and Rashford is brilliant.

I think we were absolutely poor during 30 minutes. Villa didn't played well, didn't pressed or wasn't really dangerous (think Bournemouth showed more dominance globaly) but we were poor.

Then we took confidence with these many off sides, when we knew that one ball to Rashford or Garnacho was enough to hurt them.

Villa's defense is poor running behind. Emery made a mistake having Konsa against Rashford, and Digne had issues defending inside against Garnacho, which gave him space to run.

Mainoo were very very good and gave us an extra man with a ease ball at his feet, so basically we were in control when we had the ball.

I thought that during these 30-35 mins, Evans and Rafa were poor with the ball such as Dalot, but they improved later.

And to me Bruno is the MOTM. He is the starter of the press, the one who gave the goods balls and fought like a devil.

I will never understand how we can criticize him in this team.
People criticise him because he does tend to also be wasteful when trying to thread intricate passes through. It’s particularly infuriating when the team is on the back foot (as we were much of this season) and need a goal quickly. But I agree he is our most potent creative force.

norm87cro

Honestly at this point it has just become too much stress even if we got the win. I was so pissed I started insulting Villa and Birmingham at one point and we never had any historical beefs and I actually respect the club (for any Villa fans prehaps here my bad). It is just painful too watch us latley but we still do it. Merry Christmas to everybody on the CAF

sixdwarf

If you had said a few days ago after the on and off field pains of this season and particular our recent record - West Ham and Bournemouth defeats - that me and my son's record of not ever seeing United lose when at a live match would remain intact today I'd have shaken my head with incredulity as expressed in words on here before. If you'd said the same when we went two nil down to high-flying Aston Villa with another abject defensive performance, i'd have said you were certifiable. And yet..something, incredibly changed. It did when we were second best against Fulham in the FA Cup last season and against City at home.

Apart from the fact that we actually played with more pace and intensity in the second half and spotted that Villa couldn't cope with the ball over the top I'd have said it must be because we were there. And surely it is.

I mean, even Hojlund scored!

If United are in trouble again (and they will be), they know where we are.

Gordon Godot

Also forced into it by injuries and the final realisation that Amrabat is useless. I dont think we can give ETH that much credit. He also sold Elanga to buy Anthony, having not played him last season in favour of Weghorst, probably the most technically limited player ever to pull on the shirt. How's that looking?

Jeffthered

People criticise him because he does tend to also be wasteful when trying to thread intricate passes through. It’s particularly infuriating when the team is on the back foot (as we were much of this season) and need a goal quickly. But I agree he is our most potent creative force.
Yes, maybe, but at what cost? Bruno tries a lot of things, some work, but a lot do not and this places pressure on us. He needs to be a more, far, far, far more responsible player... it's like he plays his own game and this is not working for us, game in, game out.. as it causes more problems than it solves. He needs to organise the team, rather than focusing on his own passing and shooting.. it's almost a petulant approach to football. When it works, many think 'fantastic Bruno'.. but compare to a KDB, a Modric, Odegard even.. or McGinn (not great tonight but this season..). They are more responsible players for their respective teams.

I have said before, we have enough players, and options to cause teams problems without this dependance on Bruno. Bruno doesn't set the rhythm of the team and this should be his first responsibility. Look at Eriksen, he makes us look a different team when he gets on the ball. Rarely tries the hollywood ball or shot etc... Mainoo has also shown signs of being that responsible midfielder.

Bruno is a great talent, but he cannot just play 'Bruno's game'. Again, that's for ETH to manage, and I am afraid I'm not convinced that he can do that.

pacifictheme

Also forced into it by injuries and the final realisation that Amrabat is useless. I dont think we can give ETH that much credit. He also sold Elanga to buy Anthony, having not played him last season in favour of Weghorst, probably the most technically limited player ever to pull on the shirt. How's that looking?
Garnacho played when everyone was fit last season. Mainoo played pre season and then started as soon as he realistically could after a lengthy injury. Both are very young players so have to be managed. Bringing two very young players into the first team as regular starters in two seasons is pretty good going really.

Elanga didn't look good enough so I have no issues with that personally.

jeepers

So is it the manager or the players? The players clearly show they can turn up when they want to. I hope EtH sticks with this team for the rest of the season where possible. And maybe we should be spending big on some sports psychologists and psychiatrists too.

Lentwood

* I thought Villa were really poor. I have been impressed with them this season but they were so open and wasteful in possession. Even at 0-2 we had so many turnovers and openings.

* We exploited Villa's high-line very well. We know that suits us though, in many ways. I still worry about how we will break down teams who sit deep and counter.

* Its going under the radar how young our starting XIs are. There's definitely some talent to build around.

* Hojlund was woeful first half but far more effective in the 2nd when he simplified his game to bouncing the ball back into Bruno/the midfield. Hopefully he can build on that goal because his lack of goals has clearly affected him.

Westerkerk

Strange how we kept getting beyond villas line over and over, we were too intense for them in the second half. They never looked like doing anything after they went 2-0 up. Poor performance from their perspective I would say.

However pleased we showed character to come back, with some good performances and a much needed goal for Rasmus.

Completely impossible to determine how and if we will improve from here. Time will tell.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Ok, maybe a bit of an over reaction on my part but there were points in that second half where United played superbly. To the point where I thought at times- jeez we’re not that far away! Certainly building going forward anyway. Maybe it’s because United have been absolutely dire in a few games this season it was nice to see a bit of urgency and flowing football back. Start playing like that every game and I think things will be ok. Good to see the youngsters getting game time and playing well.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Of course I am happy with the result but I was surprised how bad Villa played. We were the better team more for more or less the whole game and if it weren’t for 2 stupid errors again it should have been an easy win. Their tactical set-up after leading 2-0 was abysmal.

TheReligion

Abusive
Villa were poor because United made them look poor.

The high press forced errors, much like we did to Chelsea, and shows that we do have a style of play and are not ‘uncoachable’.

redmanx

Garnacho all season? Mainoo as soon as he was fit? Big Willy last week over Luke Shaw? Jesus you're a hard man to please/
Injuries played a big part in the selection of Mainoo and Kwambala and up front the only other option was Martial, and Id pick my granny before I picked him!

Unam333

Fans' morale is at an all time low, fans want him to get sacked, results are not going his way, the media are destroying him, every game could be his last game as United manager, HUGE pressure, yet he has the balls to put his trust in Mainoo (18), Garnacho (19) and Hojlund (20) and stick with them, even when they don't perform (bar Mainoo).

When we needed to shut shop and play out the game the team needed to stay diciplined and focused. Ten Hag trusted his young subs Gore (19), Mejbri (20) and Kambwala (19) to keep the formation's form and carry out his instructions. He could have easily put on a more experienced player like Reguilón. Yet he didn't.

Hester_manc

8 academy players against Villa:

Willy Kambwala
Jonny Evans
Kobbie Mainoo
Dan Gore
Scott McTominay
Hannibal Mejbri
Alejandro Garnacho
Marcus Rashford

justsomebloke

Who could see that coming! Easily our best performance of the season, and the first win against a top team. Even at 0-2, I was thinking the performance was significantly better than the 0-0 against Liverpool. Two massive brain-fart set piece goals against notwithstanding.

Who'd have thought Garnacho could be so effective on the right - or that Rashford would basically suddenly be back to his old self. Not seen him as good as that since the Forest game. And Højlund finally with his first PL goal, though in truth he didn't have a great game beyond that. Varane excellent too.

justsomebloke

Yes, maybe, but at what cost? Bruno tries a lot of things, some work, but a lot do not and this places pressure on us. He needs to be a more, far, far, far more responsible player... it's like he plays his own game and this is not working for us, game in, game out.. as it causes more problems than it solves. He needs to organise the team, rather than focusing on his own passing and shooting.. it's almost a petulant approach to football. When it works, many think 'fantastic Bruno'.. but compare to a KDB, a Modric, Odegard even.. or McGinn (not great tonight but this season..). They are more responsible players for their respective teams.

I have said before, we have enough players, and options to cause teams problems without this dependance on Bruno. Bruno doesn't set the rhythm of the team and this should be his first responsibility. Look at Eriksen, he makes us look a different team when he gets on the ball. Rarely tries the hollywood ball or shot etc... Mainoo has also shown signs of being that responsible midfielder.

Bruno is a great talent, but he cannot just play 'Bruno's game'. Again, that's for ETH to manage, and I am afraid I'm not convinced that he can do that.
In my view it is completely obvious that on the contrary it solves a lot more problems than it creates. Which is why this view of Bruno is so fundamentally absurd, and this repetitive, hangup-based mantra so tiresome.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's the journey mate. Dark days recently but so many highs before. I am here through thick and thin. The fight back to being 'relevant' again should be something.
That is so good to hear that you are in through the thick and thin. Same for me although I can't get to OT as often as I used to. That doesn't stop me supporting my team.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Tactically we were OK: Villa is very strong on set pieces and trying to exploit players with less ball control, no surprises there.
But we controlled the game overall despite using players with little senior experience. Not gonna lie: we controlled but we didn't play well, we were a bit disjointed when in possession and we still defend too much man-marking oriented, which makes our defenders life a bit more complicated.

buckooo1978

Great to wake up feeling good this morning

Ten Hag has something to build upon and by getting the team and tactics right at weekend it could be another step in the right direction.

Muninman

Willy Kambwala
Jonny Evans
Kobbie Mainoo
Dan Gore
Scott McTominay
Hannibal Mejbri
Alejandro Garnacho
Marcus Rashford
I know there is a tendency to be a bit cynical about 'United's way', focus on youth, blah, blah... Or at least it has been since Busby's second great side and Fergie's faith in 'kids', etc. But I think the point that is so often missed is that all marquee players were young once, and came up through someone's system. Maybe it is just too obvious? Or maybe we've had 20 years of billionaire clubs (Chelsea, Citeh) mostly buying the finished product.

So it might as well be through the club's own system which then puts the onus on scouting and coaching. Quite apart from the money saved, there are points around connection with the club, loyalty, knowing the club's philosophy, etc. And just how many big signings end up flops anyway? Quite a few.

I really don't know the stats or the maths, but I would guess there is enough genetic potential just in Manchester to forge a Euro winning side if all could be identified, recruited and developed. Evidence? Well, France won the 2018 World Cup with a team mostly from Paris, and predominately from the Banlieue slums: https://www.euronews.com/2018/07/19/the-boys-from-the-banlieues-where-france-s-world-cup-dream-began

Personally, I would rather this new era see a greater return to scouting and developing youth than making another rash of bad signings. Who cares if it takes 10 years. I just hope I live long enough to see it.

I've read a lot of recent posts which grossly oversimplified the Fergie era. Take it from someone born in 1962 that the regeneration took a long time. 7 seasons to finally win the title. And the thing that kept Fergie in a job was not the urban myth that he was about to be fired had United lost the FA cup draw at Forest (how many times did Charlton and Edwards refute that story?) but the fact that he totally revamped the scouting and youth set up from the bottom upwards.

I genuinely think we need a similar reset under the new SJR era.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Willy Kambwala
Jonny Evans
Kobbie Mainoo
Dan Gore
Scott McTominay
Hannibal Mejbri
Alejandro Garnacho
Marcus Rashford
Kind of disingenuous to class Garnacho and Mejbri as our own academy players when they were poached from other clubs academies very late in their developmental trajectory, and at least in Mejbri’s case, cost a pretty penny.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa
  • 16% Man Utd 0:2 Aston Villa