CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Atletico Madrid 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 February 2022

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We fell into their trap a bit.

They let us have all the ball at CB and CDM. They made sure to press our full backs and CM's as soon as they received the ball.

We moved the ball so slowly side to side that it was easy for them to keep shuffling over, and when we did eventually try to go forwards we lost it under pressure.

While we kept possession it was always in negative areas so really meant nothing.

I thought Rangnick did well with the subs, putting Fred into CM gave us more fight and nimbleness to get to the ball first. Matic played really well and carried the ball forwards, passing with good speed when required. Elanga gave us the over the top threat and had clearly been told/noticed our lack of runs in behind. That threat made their defence step back and we earnt more time in midfield.

I hope for the 2nd leg we abandon the 4-3-3, go back to 4-2-3-1 and use the width better. If we get them isolated out wide 1v1 I think we can get at them no problem. We just need to bypass the midfield trap.

Todd

Probably didn't deserve what we got. Didn't belong on the pitch with them in the first half. Better in the second half but there were clearly the better side and they were missing important players. Unless we're much better in the return leg we're not going through.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We fell into their trap a bit.

They let us have all the ball at CB and CDM. They made sure to press our full backs and CM's as soon as they received the ball.

We moved the ball so slowly side to side that it was easy for them to keep shuffling over, and when we did eventually try to go forwards we lost it under pressure.

While we kept possession it was always in negative areas so really meant nothing.

I thought Rangnick did well with the subs, putting Fred into CM gave us more fight and nimbleness to get to the ball first. Matic played really well and carried the ball forwards, passing with good speed when required. Elanga gave us the over the top threat and had clearly been told/noticed our lack of runs in behind. That threat made their defence step back and we earnt more time in midfield.

I hope for the 2nd leg we abandon the 4-3-3, go back to 4-2-3-1 and use the width better. If we get them isolated out wide 1v1 I think we can get at them no problem. We just need to bypass the midfield trap.
Not only we fell into their trap, our players underestimated their opponent despite low form. Think Griezmann & Felix are exactly type of players United need to find gaps in oppo's defense.

Hard to believe top PL team with massive funding can be so slow at exchanging few passes at the back. I could even risk and say if we had Jones instead of Harry we would be faster and most of all more decisive in sending ball form the deep.

Ralf looks like in a trap himself taking United job at this exact time. He could change formation, but something more is required from head coach to get his players keep up with rhythm. From one of tactical fathers of modern German football think we can expect some smart planning and if not, Simeone will use United's apathy and milk it to penalty shootout. It's more and more evident.

Adam-Utd

Not only we fell into their trap, our players underestimated their opponent despite low form. Think Griezmann & Felix are exactly type of players United need to find gaps in oppo's defense.

Hard to believe top PL team with massive funding can be so slow at exchanging few passes at the back. I could even risk and say if we had Jones instead of Harry we would be faster and most of all more decisive in sending ball form the deep.

Ralf looks like in a trap himself taking United job at this exact time. He could change formation, but something more is required from head coach to get his players keep up with rhythm. From one of tactical fathers of modern German football think we can expect some smart planning and if not, Simeone will use United's apathy and milk it to penalty shootout. It's more and more evident.
The speed we move the ball from de gea to the centre backs then to the fullbacks are SO SLOW.

By the time it reaches the fullback they are already pressing. I wish we'd emphasises how important it is to get it out to them quickly.

I think the issue is our centre backs are often looking for the long ball forward first, then when they can't see that they pass it sideways. It's no wonder we struggle to progress the ball.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The speed we move the ball from de gea to the centre backs then to the fullbacks are SO SLOW.

By the time it reaches the fullback they are already pressing. I wish we'd emphasises how important it is to get it out to them quickly.

I think the issue is our centre backs are often looking for the long ball forward first, then when they can't see that they pass it sideways. It's no wonder we struggle to progress the ball.
With matches like these, I'm starting to have doubts if appointing entirely new manager in the summer who'll bring whole caoching structure gonna help deal with this problem as It doesn't look like it's only indivudal thing from particular players.

This team needs new type of chemistry in a different football culture. They may look like they're friends in the dressing room and training grounds, but in football match they look like they never played one match together. No rhythm, no understanding, zero compatibility.

I guess going from Moyes to Van Gaal, then to Mourinho, Solskjaer and Ralf who are so different in almost every aspect also messed up players' compass.

It's a Frankenstein of a football, it needs to seriously die and something coherent to be born.

Adam-Utd

With matches like these, I'm starting to have doubts if appointing entirely new manager in the summer who'll bring whole caoching structure gonna help deal with this problem as It doesn't look like it's only indivudal thing from particular players.

This team needs new type of chemistry in a different football culture. They may look like they're friends in the dressing room and training grounds, but in football match they look like they never played one match together. No rhythm, no understanding, zero compatibility.

I guess going from Moyes to Van Gaal, then to Mourinho, Solskjaer and Ralf who are so different in almost every aspect also messed up players' compass.

It's a Frankenstein of a football, it needs to seriously die and something coherent to be born.
Well you'd expect a proper manager/coach to get us drilled and start looking like an actual team playing football.

That's what we need really - we have the individual quality but rare play good team football. We do it in small samples.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Well you'd expect a proper manager/coach to get us drilled and start looking like an actual team playing football.

That's what we need really - we have the individual quality but rare play good team football. We do it in small samples.
Totally new manager could walk into this dressing room and start sinking faster than Ole who was a true diplomat for players and their moods.

Ruthless winner with energy to handle all the pressure from expectations will need to start making actions and Ralf as much he's proven professor of football, his role so far is to pick up the broken pieces and say what we all want to hear. To be honest we don't even know if he's fully on board with the needed clearout as even ruthless Jose failed a bit on that front.

I know I'm being harsh on Rangnick, but that's cold reality of it. New guy in charge will have to be 120% up for the task of transforming Disney Land into properly working football club, starting from the feeble dressing room.

No matter who we'll appoint, I think many of us will have obvious difficulties in trusting the new guy, even if it's Pep or football fanatic such as Klopp.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Rewatched this last night. We weren't as bad in the first half as it seemed and largely dominated them in the second, especially after the substitutions.

nmm85

I missed the game as I'm on holiday but watched the highlights and looks like it was very even in the 1st half. We had a few chances so surprised to read so many people saying how bad we were. Looked like we were the better team overall. Looking forward to the second leg!

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Was anyone else shocked that Fred made a good difficult play and Bruno made a nice play in the same sequence for the goal? I was, especially watching the crap all night from our midfield.

The midfield. When all 3 of your midfielders can't make good plays for large parts of a match your team is going to look like crap. It doesn't matter what the rest of the team does if you can't hold the ball in the middle of the pitch under some pressure. Let's look at the mids.

Fred. TBF he was average last night so at least he tried and put in a shift. The problem is his average is way below the norm expected at this level. He had his usual bad touches, intercepted passes, passes into touch and poor decision making.

Pogba. He could not pull anything off the first half. A flick gone wrong, a touch into space too hard, and a pass missing a teammate. I did like that he was disgusted with some of his play so at least he cares.

Bruno. The worst of the lot. I was thinking in the 2nd half that I would rate him a 1 out of 10 but he gets a 3 because of the nice pass for the goal. Before that, though, did any of his attempted creative plays succeed? My guess is he tried about 20 or more flicks, penetrating passes, switches, touches under pressure and difficult passes and ZERO were successful. The only thing he was able to do was pass back and to the side effectively. Great match Bruno.

When we introduced a real midfielder in Matic things started to go much better.

Have you ever seen such poor positioning by a GK in a knockout match for our goal? Wow!

USREDEVIL

Rewatched this last night. We weren't as bad in the first half as it seemed and largely dominated them in the second, especially after the substitutions.
I'm going to re-watch it. During the first half i had like an awakening thinking "oh my God we are a terrible team" and then i started to think which players i've clearly overrated or are clearly not good enough and started thinking about almost everyone, including Maguire, Fred, Shaw, Rashford and realized we were never going anywhere this year. They looked far technically superior to us.
I even started feeling sorry for DeGea and his missed move to Real. Whew! Can't believe we snatched a draw.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm going to re-watch it. During the first half i had like an awakening thinking "oh my God we are a terrible team" and then i started to think which players i've clearly overrated or are clearly not good enough and started thinking about almost everyone, including Maguire, Fred, Shaw, Rashford and realized we were never going anywhere this year. They looked far technically superior to us.
I even started feeling sorry for DeGea and his missed move to Real. Whew! Can't believe we snatched a draw.
Atletico definitely wanted it more in the first half but despite all their good effort they were relatively toothless upfront. We defended pretty well against their onslaught.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Everyone from CM to Forwards were abysmal. Think our defence did ok (despite some silly moments), and from that Lindelof stood out for making 3-4 key tackles and interceptions that stopped what might have ended up being goal scoring chances. For me Elanga gets hero of the match.
Fair opinion ! :D The Swedes saving United !!

DSG

Totally new manager could walk into this dressing room and start sinking faster than Ole who was a true diplomat for players and their moods.

Ruthless winner with energy to handle all the pressure from expectations will need to start making actions and Ralf as much he's proven professor of football, his role so far is to pick up the broken pieces and say what we all want to hear. To be honest we don't even know if he's fully on board with the needed clearout as even ruthless Jose failed a bit on that front.

I know I'm being harsh on Rangnick, but that's cold reality of it. New guy in charge will have to be 120% up for the task of transforming Disney Land into properly working football club, starting from the feeble dressing room.

No matter who we'll appoint, I think many of us will have obvious difficulties in trusting the new guy, even if it's Pep or football fanatic such as Klopp.
You aren’t being harsh.

‘The truth of the matter is that someone strong minded like Tuchel can make a quick turnaround. There is no doubt he is the boss, and he will not hesitate to sit his 100m striker. But he also has very clear instructions to the players and a watertight structure that doesn’t vary no matter the players. Is it unfair to expect that from the Man United manager? I don’t think so. Doesn’t matter if it is Ralf, Ole, or whoever, our expectations should be very high. We have huge revenues in comparison to other clubs, it’s time we started performing like it.

darko

I understand laziness or lack of effort but I can't understand how a team of high priced talent can make so many poor simple passes.

GregM40

Horrible horrible team to play against. I thought the ref was shocking and let them get away with far too many cynical fouls, reminded me of how City do that.

Need to show more aggression in midfield and break faster, no reason we can't beat them at home.

UTD_Since_1978

I don't know how many passes we had in this match but it seemed to me that 75% were backwards & 20% were sideways.

Fitchett

I'm sure some of our players must have been feeling the effects of playing a full blooded encounter on a sodden pitch at Leeds just three days earlier. It obviously affected Leeds, losing 6-0 at Liverpool last night. I doubt very much whether our players were 100% recovered from Sunday's exertions and it showed in last night's performance.

always_hoping

1-1 a decent result, better than losing however still all to do in the 2nd leg to win this tie.

Napoli drew 1-1 in the Camp Nou and tonight they were beaten 4-2 at home to Barcelona. Atletico and Barcelona are roughly at the same level this season.

Greck

I understand laziness or lack of effort but I can't understand how a team of high priced talent can make so many poor simple passes.
Man, we're one of the least talented passing teams among the top sides. It's not too surprising because the team was never built around possession concepts like control and press resistance. Even the best players are mostly gunners.

I already feel sorry for the next manager because there'll be a small window before he gets in the right players where we look clueless trying to get this team to employ control concepts.

Tap

1-1 a decent result, better than losing however still all to do in the 2nd leg to win this tie.

Napoli drew 1-1 in the Camp Nou and tonight they were beaten 4-2 at home to Barcelona. Atletico and Barcelona are roughly at the same level this season.
Yeah not sure why are some confident about the home leg. Our record at OT is not great and Atl has won away games in previous crunch matches.

Greck

You aren’t being harsh.

‘The truth of the matter is that someone strong minded like Tuchel can make a quick turnaround. There is no doubt he is the boss, and he will not hesitate to sit his 100m striker. But he also has very clear instructions to the players and a watertight structure that doesn’t vary no matter the players. Is it unfair to expect that from the Man United manager? I don’t think so. Doesn’t matter if it is Ralf, Ole, or whoever, our expectations should be very high. We have huge revenues in comparison to other clubs, it’s time we started performing like it.
Don't disagree but it's too early to expect control in games. Ralf would have never bought half of these players. It's reasonable to expect control but unreasonable to expect it now.

DSG

Don't disagree but it's too early to expect control in games. Ralf would have never bought half of these players. It's reasonable to expect control but unreasonable to expect it now.
Ralf didn’t buy any of these players. Tuchel didn’t buy any of the Chelsea players either. I don’t expect a CL trophy, but I do expect a top 4 finish. There’s a reason Tuchel and Zidane can come in mid season and get an underperforming squad to deliver. They are excellent managers/coaches.

I hope Ralf is coming to the realization that this squad is best as a pure counterattacking team. We’ve known this since the Jose days. We don’t have the midfield to play the high press. We don’thave the midfield to play possession either. This is why I was so disappointed we didn’t buy a midfielder in the January window.

Greck

Ralf didn’t buy any of these players. Tuchel didn’t buy any of the Chelsea players either. I don’t expect a CL trophy, but I do expect a top 4 finish. There’s a reason Tuchel and Zidane can come in mid season and get an underperforming squad to deliver. They are excellent managers/coaches.

I hope Ralf is coming to the realization that this squad is best as a pure counterattacking team. We’ve known this since the Jose days. We don’t have the midfield to play the high press. We don’thave the midfield to play possession either. This is why I was so disappointed we didn’t buy a midfielder in the January window.
That's setting the bar unrealistic. Tuchel and Zidane? If we was either he wouldn't be an interim manager with an almost zero chance of getting the permanent job. His interim goal is to transition us to a progressive style not continue the mediocre playstyle of managers who have already failed. No one wants to see a continuation of past failures. Defensive counterattack needs to stay a distant chapter in our book of regrets along with all the failed managers who used it. If it even worked this season we wouldn't have had to sack his predecessor.

TheRedDevil2019

Hit the post twice, across the 90mins Atleti generally just battered us all over the pitch and yet somehow United came out of it at even stevens.

I'm mightily relieved but a repeat performance in the second leg and we're goners.

One could also argue that was near our strongest first 11 (except Telles for Shaw, and Jones for Slabhead...). Atleti were missing Carrasco, Koke and Griezmann wasn't fit to start.

julianfr

Yeah, I’m sure I read somewhere that we ran 5km less than them. I think that was just in the first half. Shocking stat of true. We are undoubtedly lazy though

Yeah there was a stat going around that we ran 5km less than them in the first half. Not sure if true but shocking stat if so. We’re definitely lazy. I remember when Ole first came in here, saying he was gonna make us the hardest running team in the Prem. That didn’t last long did it?
Running is one thing. Running WITH the ball or with the intention of GETTING the ball is something else entirely.

LiquidSnake

The passing from the back is absolutely disgusting.

The main problem is that I felt Varane tried to give some momentum through his passing but any feck up, bam, the whole defence became cowards again and nobody has any sort of confidence.

Pogba and Fred utter shit at finding decent angles to be a recipient from a defender pass and positionning to find a decent target for the next pass... Something that Matic is good at.

I feel like Simone knew that Pogba would expose himself/complicates it and never hesitate to press strongly him whenever he got the ball.

I feel like most of United midfielders just dont know concepts of overloading pressing (I dont know if thats the good terminology) and triangles... One of your job is helping building play from behind sometimes just being rightfully positionned and playing a dummy is enough. I just feel like Pogba, Fred and McTominay are absolutely unaware of this thing.

Then you end up with defenders trying to play hero-ball ride or die (Varane/Lindelof) or player that are absolutely afraid (Maguire/Shaw)... But at the same time they're far from helped.

I really felt that Atletico applied some basics pressing 101. Matic played it simple, calm and collected, it opened up the game for the whole team (with Elanga running) and Atletico were somewhat inconsistant and space began to open up.

I really believe players shot themselves in the foot.

Hughie77

I could not watch the came live, Ive done it now in most of the CL games, I watched it after, they conceded possession to us in positions that we couldn't hurt them. The set up wasn't right, and I think RR went there to not get beat. Got the run of the ball at times.
After the changes with Telles Matic, Elanga started to get width on the pitch looked comfy in possession all game anyway they pressed to make mistakes in 1st half , DDG didn't have much to do. And We looked strong In the latter stages and a lot better, away from home in that atmosphere as well. 2nd leg, we need to play wider, quicker, and we should be much better, I can't see them, setting up any different. We need to take the game away from them . And no extra time or pens

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 266 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Atletico Madrid 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Atletico Madrid 1:2 Man Utd