CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Atletico Madrid 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 February 2022

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
I agree it is harsh to fault Maguire too much for the goal. Felix is running through at full speed, the cross is timed to perfection so that he is onside and it leads him perfectly so that he takes the header at full stretch. Then the header goes in off the upright. It’s almost impossible to defend except, as you say, in the buildup. If I was to blame anyone it would probably be Bruno who turned the ball over very easily two or three times just prior to the goal, contributing mightily to our being pinned in our own end.
I agree, the ones blaming maguire probably has some sort of preconception about him being clumsy and having a slow turning circle but in reality that goal was basically impossible to defend against by our defence and keeper and the best way for it not happening would have been not wasting possession easily or Fred standing him man up rather than charging out and just flipping over before the cross.

alologies for some selling mistakes my phones having a mare ha

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Rashford get a 1/10 from me, and Bruno originally get a 1/10 too, but his assist and a long pass in the 2nd half earn him a 3/10.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
when Elanga starts he has been shit
Maybe we could play Lingard in 1st half and Elanga in 2nd.

Just don't want to see Rashford anywhere near the starting line up again this season.

LDUred

Rashford and Bruno locked in a contest of producing the most annoying performance like two kids having an endless 'you suck/you suck too' argument.

Thought in general the performance lacked movement up front and the passing (with the exception of the goal) lacked fluidity and tempo.

For all that, we could have sneaked an unlikely winner and a draw is hardly a bad result in Spain.

By the way, that was some insane Fernando Redondo on Henning Berg like skill from Telles at the end.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

Why do we get shell shocked so easy?
Was it the stadium or the early goal. We regressed so much this game

Rashford and Bruno locked in a contest of producing the most annoying performance like two kids having an endless 'you suck/you suck too' argument.

Thought in general the performance lacked movement up front and the passing (with the exception of the goal) lacked fluidity and tempo.

For all that, we could have sneaked an unlikely winner and a draw is hardly a bad result in Spain.

By the way, that was some insane Fernando Redondo on Henning Berg like skill from Telles at the end.
It’s weird how we had no movement off the ball when we had possession, players were either so close or so far apart, not moving in for support. It’s as if fundamentals just get lost. Is it cause of lack of a plan? I don’t get it. Ragnick didn’t put out a cautious side at all.

captain666

Awful first half,sloppy,lazy,nervy and weak all over the pitch plus gifting them possession at every opportunity.
Much better second half especially after the spot on subs again.
Let's hope we start the return leg fully awake!

Sea-Cow

Every time I watch the goal I think, "oh thats a terrible pass, the defender is going to easily poke that away," and then.... he doesn't. I don't know how he f'd that up. And then the keeper has to be disappointed with that. The shot isn't hit with that much pace, and it isn't really in the corner.

Is it just because Elanga took it so early? Its a very weird goal, but I celebrated like a maniac.

Giggzy P

Great result but why does Harry seem to always be marking his teammates like, is he colour blind?

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Every time I watch the goal I think, "oh thats a terrible pass, the defender is going to easily poke that away," and then.... he doesn't. I don't know how he f'd that up. And then the keeper has to be disappointed with that. The shot isn't hit with that much pace, and it isn't really in the corner.

Is it just because Elanga took it so early? Its a very weird goal, but I celebrated like a maniac.
I think Oblak did not expect Reinaldo to feck up, then he wanted get closer to Elanga but there was no time and he was too far to the left leaving half the goal not protected. Basically everything went our way in that situation.

Red_Aaron

Great result all thing's considered

Whilst Athletico were of course much better last night I didn't see too much to fear from them. Felix was excellent but other than that it's the wild dog nature of their play that beats you, they're relentless it's a sight to behold but there's really no reason we shouldn't be able to match up the physical aspects and then I fancy our quality to get the result we need to go through

Not that I trust us to do that though, still we continue to be flat and fearful in games and generally need a bloody nose before we get going.

Can see the second leg being a long night and away goals and/or their shit housery playing a key role

IhabX7

Great result all thing's considered

Whilst Athletico were of course much better last night I didn't see too much to fear from them. Felix was excellent but other than that it's the wild dog nature of their play that beats you, they're relentless it's a sight to behold but there's really no reason we shouldn't be able to match up the physical aspects and then I fancy our quality to get the result we need to go through

Not that I trust us to do that though, still we continue to be flat and fearful in games and generally need a bloody nose before we get going.

Can see the second leg being a long night and away goals and/or their shit housery playing a key role
Away goals are gone mate. They don’t matter.

Nickelodeon

With away goals out of the picture, the first leg being a draw sort of nullifies the entire match. It now becomes a one-off cup tie similar to an FA Cup. Guess that feeling will get some getting used to.

James Peril

Dreadful football game. Atletico are much more fine-tuned than United, but lack the players they used to have - this is not the Atletico of former years. United aren’t a team at all, should be very happy with a draw after creating nothing for 90 minutes incl. a goal that only happened after the defender slipped instead of clearing Bruno’s weak pass. Not sure we are favorites at home or if that changes anything, I am only dreading any chance of playing one of the teams that will win the CL this year - it could be extremely bad. Bayern have the ability to finish this team with 6-7 goals on aggregate unfortunately.

Kostov

With away goals out of the picture, the first leg being a draw sort of nullifies the entire match. It now becomes a one-off cup tie similar to an FA Cup. Guess that feeling will get some getting used to.
I somehow missed that. I doubt we pass through these cnuts even at home.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
First half was awful even by our usual awfulness! Not that much better in the second half although we did pretty much nulify their threat (DDG had very few saves to make throughout in honesty). Yes they hit the bar twice (the second one would have been a fluke had it gone in).

To me, Lindelof was our best player - certainly our best defender. He made two or three excellent blocks - goals then might have finished us. Yes, he was poor going forward but he isn't wing back. He remained calm and cool while Maguire and Varane looked terrible, although both improved after half time.

Have to admit that I couldn't see where a goal was coming from and, as good as the move/finish was, their defensive looked like ours when we score: no idea what the last defender was trying to do when he went with the wrong foot!

Those here who criticise Scott McT, should at least now see adds some physical strength to our midifield: we were bullied all night.

All in all, the result was obviously much better than the performance and I do like the fact that Ralf admitted how shite we were in the first 45 minutes - Ole would have tried to tell us we had played well and had been unlucky...

I guess a positive was we didn't crumble and let in any more goals after the dreadful start. One thing is for sure, Madrid are a far better side then some here seemed to think and I believe they have been better away from home this season so this tie is far from over. We may need three to go through...

On a side note, Simeone might look like a total lunatic, but you have to love his passion!

Last edited:

SirScholes

Were we really outplayed? Their dominance in the press in first half seems to have clouded judgement. They had 38% of the ball and 1 shot on target. Our problems were our own in not being aggressive enough early on
They let us have the ball
62% and we created 1 real chance

SirScholes

Lucky we got out with a draw. Absolutely woeful performance by players and manager.
I disagree
Most the team did well, our problem was that 3 of our main creators had poor games
Pogba Bruno rashford

fancied us to nick a goal and we did, great subs by Ralph, brave taking off Pogba for matic. So well played Ralph

SirScholes

But we weren't 'outplayed'. They were absolutely shocking going forward too, especially second half.
Their issue was Diego, he should of went to kill the game off
Scored the goal then sat back, seemed like it allowed us some much needed breathing space.
It was fairly obvious watching the game who the better team was, it wasn’t us.
Said in earlier posts, I’m fine with going to Athletico and nicking 1-1

BigRon1985

Would have taken a 1-0 defeat after the first half but a 1-1 draw in the end was a bonus. Team needs to turn up for the next match!

SER19

Their issue was Diego, he should of went to kill the game off
Scored the goal then sat back, seemed like it allowed us some much needed breathing space.
It was fairly obvious watching the game who the better team was, it wasn’t us.
Said in earlier posts, I’m fine with going to Athletico and nicking 1-1
Being a better team for a half isn't enough. Watch the second half without live emotion, we were dominant but predictably poor at creating. There was a real time overreaction last night because of how poor we were first 30 especially

SirScholes

Being a better team for a half isn't enough. Watch the second half without live emotion, we were dominant but predictably poor at creating. There was a real time overreaction last night because of how poor we were first 30 especially
Agreed overreacting, let’s not forget they could easily of scored another 2.
3 main culprits bruno Pogba rashford

Flexdegea

Yeah cause we've been excellent at home in big matches.

Ok, we will get hammered now at home, sorry for thinking we had a slight advantage being the home game after the diabolical first half tonight. We surely will play as bad.

Thanks for reminding me to stop being so silly about our chances now :lol:

Relfy

Great result, crap performance, Anthony Elanga, rhythm is a dancer.

GueRed

All round poor display. But tbh came out of it relatively unscathed....

Finished the stronger team which is psychologically important going into the 2nd leg..

Last edited:

I'm a beautiful thing

Rode our luck at times but a decent result for all that, it will be a very tough second leg, but Old Trafford will be bouncing for it, can't wait

romufc

That was a proper Ole performance. This is exactly what we got under Ole in such games. Individual errors when pressed, can't get the ball upfield, can't penetrate the opposition and somehow manage to stay in the game.

Nothing has changed under Ralf.

Hughes35

Absolutely awful performance and so difficult to watch....... having said that, a draw away at Athletico is a really good result. We will need to perform better in Manchester.

One thing for certain though. If we get to next round and play like that, we definitely won't make the semi final.

Zhazza

Supports
FC Barcelona
With all respect to United team and fans, but Atletico missed key players in the first match . Koke, Suarez, Lemar, Griezmann, De Paul in starting 11 make them play much better in second match.

Last edited:

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea
With Maguire for the goal, I get that it was a great cross and timed run etc. but his positioning when he pushes out is dead centre. when you're playing left sided centre back with Varane to your right, not sure why he's so narrow. if he was a couple of yards to his left Felix has to either make a longer run in front of him or run between the centre backs, either one is much harder than what he ended up doing.

Conor

Any team other than Atletico and we would have been 3-0 down in the first half. Thankfully, Simeone is a negative feck, and basically shut up shop after scoring in the 6th minute and rattling us to our core. We can 100% beat them in the home game, if our players actually turn up and play on the front foot. We genuinely had maybe 4 functioning players in the first half, surely the return leg can't be any worse.

Roosney

First 15mins were bad and lazy from us but I thought we did decent from then on. Bruno and Pogba were really poor too at first but lucky for us they upped their game.

The subs pretty much messed up our game for a while but after the initial hick up we got going on again.

Josh 76

Any team other than Atletico and we would have been 3-0 down in the first half. Thankfully, Simeone is a negative feck, and basically shut up shop after scoring in the 6th minute and rattling us to our core. We can 100% beat them in the home game, if our players actually turn up and play on the front foot. We genuinely had maybe 4 functioning players in the first half, surely the return leg can't be any worse.
Shut up shop after 6 mins? Never heard that before.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
My observations on the game:

First off, this is exactly how I thought the game would pan out! Did anyone really think we'd put in a decent performance against a seasoned CL side? We've been playing like this all season (except against leeds) so its not entirely unexpected that we would play as we did last night.

I thought we started off really nervous, epitomised by Maguire in the 2nd minute needlessly putting the ball out for a corner. I mean this is the captain of Manchester United shitting his pants in a CL knock out game! Lord knows what he would do if we were in a final (not that we have any chance of getting there!). I felt him together with Pobga, Rashford and Shaw were extremely poor in the 1st half (i'd add bruno too but atleast he got the assist). In many ways this just reaffirmed what needs to happen at the club, if we are to stand any chance of progressing and actually start winning things, the likes or magire, shaw, rashford, pogba need to go!

Ralf got this tactics wrong, shouldn't have had Fred and Pobga as the 2 holding midfields, neither of them can handle the press or play defensive, hopefully Mctominay is back for the 2nd leg. I think we have a chance of progressing but honestly it still feels the tie is quite finely balanced. This game also shows how far we are from winning the CL and I hope it puts to bed any notion that we can somehow fluke our way to winning it because we are so far behind the top teams!

SER19

Agreed overreacting, let’s not forget they could easily of scored another 2.
3 main culprits bruno Pogba rashford
Agree again, our key creative players or guys who could help dictate the game just didn't show up

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 266 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Atletico Madrid 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Atletico Madrid 1:2 Man Utd