CL L Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 0:1 Barcelona

Post-match discussion

Wed, 10 April 2019

BlueHaze

Safe to say this tie is over. 93 minutes played and not a single shot on goal. We had feck all to offer going forward and they literally never lose at home in the CL.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I don't think we were bad when you consider the players we have. We are a rung below the best (at least) and we definitely did better than I thought we would. Not confident that we're going to turn this one around though.

Paul_Scholes18

We defended and played really well in midfield. Lacked the final ball and quality in the final third. They got Messi and we got Lukaku and Rashford which makes a big difference.

Also I think we should have gone for it more in the second half. We could have tried to take command of the game with more attacking subs.

Denis79

Fred and McTominay, excellent tonight. Pogba did well aswell.

Mullet_Man

Lack of composure and quality in the last third, plus dire performance from Young didn't help.

FrenchRed

Fred and McTominay looked great, strikers were non-existent. We'd look great with a proper clinical striker.

Right tactics, most players stepped up, proud of the lads. For me, tons to be positive about.

The Firestarter

Never created a real chance or shot on goal. Good physical presence in the second half that lead to nowhere due to atrocious crossing by Young mostly.

Taking off Lukaku was a big tactical error,especially when we started putting in more balls in the box.
Lingard and Martial didn't do anything of note as his replacement.

The positives were Fred,Mctomminay,Smalling.
Dalot,Shaw,Lukaku were alot better in the second half.

Mister_Stubbs

Can’t decide if we were good or Barcelona were just really shit. Either way it was comfortable for them and they won’t play that badly second leg.

ManRed

Another frustrating performance but a positive frustration as we did not get dominated by Barcelona (except first 20 minutes).

Shaw is out of the next game, dont think we can cope in the away leg. Had a great chance tonight and did not capitalise..

JG3001

Said it on the other thread, the set up was fine, but the reality is there are too many first team players who are just not good enough. We need a big overhaul come end of the season. Go for targets with quality who fit the teams style, not this nonsense marketing shite approach we’ve adopted.

Irrational.

Ref screwed us by not sending Busquets off.

Fred, McTominay, Smalling, Lindelof and Shaw can hold their heads up high.

The rest can feck off, cowardly cnuts.

Litch

Fred's best performances are in CL. Will be ok in prem when he can get use to the pace of the games.

We will never get a better chance of beating Barca....

Farfetched

We still have an inability to work, let alone beat, the opposition keeper enough. We do have plenty of good parts to our game but without the basic requirements of scoring goals it doesn’t amount to much!

Canagel

Class in the two attacks showed itself. We competed in the midfield but they did the job in attack. Suarez got his chance and took it. No goals for yet another home game.

L1nk

I was actually impressed with the performance, in the sense that we didn't just let Barcelona run over us, we played well. But I think its just becoming more and more obvious, tonight more so, that we really lack the quality required in the areas that matter, toothless upfront, our right side is just garbage particularly with Young.

I've been critical of McTominay in the past and whether he is actually good enough for us, but fair play to him he's standing up and being counted recently, and played really well tonight, showing more than Pogba actually.

fergies coat

Everyone seems quite happy with it. I’m not who cares if we’re still in the tie we’re not winning over there. Barca were there for the taking tonight and we did nothing.

Ashley Young was a disgrace tonight I don’t think he did anything right.

Ahsan_6386

The only positives were Mc Tominay and Fred . Pogba had a good 1st half and then he went invisible . Lesser said about Rashford, Lukaku and Young the better .

This is Barcelona team is not good at all and we should have atleast scored once . Our home record in Champions league has been diabolical . I am hoping the away match goes the way it went in Turin earlier this season. Fingers crossed that we play better next week and move on to the semis .

Ban

Everybody expected a mauling but we held our own. McT and Fred are revelations, had very good games, Pogba was good although tailed of a bit in the 2nd. Defense was all right, as was Dalot, Young was attrocious. We just needed a bit better play in a final 3rd and should have been a bit more dangerous, their defense was not all that at all.
We're still in it although it will be extremely hard there of course.

Oh and I hate Suarez.

Ashley R1+O

What a horrible football team, I haven't watched barca in 10 years but the same keep the ball and throw themselves all over the place trying to get fouls and bookings, seems nothing has changed. An absolutely putrid stain on the game.

Pyro19

Rashford is not the striker that will lead United to winning championships.
Young is done at this club.
Mctominay and Fred had a great game.
Pogba was a passenger
Lingard and Martial were a waste of a sub since they came on.

Playing against a Barca side like this shows just how far off we are in comparison. A team like Liverpool would have finished this tie in the home leg itself. They were there to be got at and yet we create nothing.

A lot of deadwood needs to be replaced and new quality needs to be bought in the summer

space

Gutted, because we deserved more. Let down by Ashley Young. Dalot should have scored but overall though we were decent. Lacked that final ball but that game I feel like we played like our true selves. By that I mean that is our level and it is obvious where we need to invest to improve.

cyberman

Typical home performance these days if we're being honest but we are a better away side than home and this Brca side are too one paced to scare me.
See you in Spain, we have more than a chance here.

Red1968

We cannot play scared vs Barca. They’ll just play keep away and wait for an error. Players need to man up next week!

abailey123

Not a poor performance. Thought Ole set us up well. They only found space when Dalot went off.
Young needs to be upgraded in the summer . You have to be putting the ball into the box early to give Lukaku, Rashford and a late arriving Pogba a chance.
Stand out for me for 2nd week in a row was McTominay. He’s starting to come of age and was the best midfielder on the pitch.
We’re still in contention going to Spain but need to take more risks with the ball.

Nr.7

Busquets should have been sent off.
We weren’t that bad actually.
Young is atrocious. I felt sorry for him a few times.
Rashford is like Theo Walcott.
McTominay is dependable, quite solid.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Young was bad, Rashford is not really to lead, Pogba is quiet as usual, Martial uninterested. What else is new?

SuperiorXI

I feel like we missed an oppourtunity. Barca were nowhere near their usual level, we could have got a goal.

Had you offered me 1-0 to Barca before hand I would have taken it.

edgecutter

Couldn't score in a whore house with a fist full of dollars is one cliche I would use for the over priced assemble of players we have. You would expect better.

Young and lingard are not good enough and it is sad to see.

Ole needs to work on his subs. Didn't think ROM deserved to come off and why we continue to give lingard mins when he clearly ain't up for it is beyond me.

GazTheLegend

Young, Lukaku and Martial are problems for us...

McTominay - wow. Stepped it up. @steakpie @SamVimes @Majima are you all still so sure he won't make it?

Fred was great, Pogba was OK, Lindelof and Smalling and Shaw were solid.

Fosu-Mens

Pressed together as a team well enough.
Fred and McTominay performed well in their press. Fred still not a good passer, McTominay handled himself well on the ball.
Smalling performed well. Shaw good.

Young a big issue.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Our midfield was very good, Shaw was excellent, our attacking play was dull.

Young was awful. Really, really, awful.
The perfect summary. Shit in attack, amazing in midfield, defense was good, especially Shaw. Young is not anywhere near good enough to be playing games like this. He’s honestly not even good enough for sides like Huddersfield and Cardiff.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Fred and McTominay looked great, strikers were non-existent. We'd look great with a proper clinical striker.

Right tactics, most players stepped up, proud of the lads. For me, tons to be positive about.
I second this.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We weren’t that bad. We are missing quality forwards but midfield played well and we were overall the better team.

I think the tie is far from over.

Man of the Match

Scott McTominay image Scott McTominay 66% of 620 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 469 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win