g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

EL W Europa League Play-off 2nd Leg

Manchester United 2:1 Barcelona

Post-match discussion

Thu, 23 February 2023

moodyred

After such a wonderful display, I thought I shouldn't nick pick and criticise anyone but I have to.

What the heck is the ref doing? How is that a penalty!

It was 12 men against 12. They had the ref but we had the awesome OT fans!

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Absolutely the best set of south American players we've had and probably the best any premier league side has had at the same time.

antk

Jumped ship at the right time.
Madrid won the CL last year though.

Only started watching from the 40min onwards, but what a game! Lucky the De Gea awful pass fell to Roberto first half, and that he didn't try to get a pen, but then what a goal from Fred.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
They rebuilt half the squad in the summer! Pulled like two dozen levers to scrape together the money.
Its a quick fix that dont gonna work in the long run. They Will need a REAL rebuild.
They rely too much on Busquets, Lewa, Alonso. Signings like Christensen, Kounde, Kessie, Raphina are the Same mistakes we made 10 years ago.

Problem is they dont have the money to keep up the same spending on shit players like we did for too long.

Fts 74

What a win even at 0-1 I wasn't worried Barca looked toothless.

Onto Sunday now huge game win that and we really can enjoy the rest of the season.

Oh and what a manager we have.

IRELANDUNITED

And Varane retiring from international football to only play with us make it even better.
I think it’s the best way for him to manage his body and have a good 5 years with us.
Exactly, ten Hag is building something very special. We don’t need oil billionaire owners, once we have owners who will properly back ten Hag we are going to go straight to the top

wangyu

What ? That’s bullsh*t. ETH improved our organization and yea play massively. Can’t you see that ?
Was I not positive enough for you? Of course we are better organized. Ten Hag rectified numerous seasons of bad transfers with Martinez and Casimero. Better players = immediate improvement.

The Original

This type of quote I find incredible. Garnacho alongside the other subs, tactical changes, changed the game. He is a young, talented player, and he is learning, whilst delivering excellent performances by the way. Garnacho is fantastic.
What does any of this have to do with what I said?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I was admiring Carlo Ancelotti the other night. Unflappable, etc. But what a string of performances and tactical moves Eric Ten Hag has put together. This is shaping up to be an epic appointment. Likeable guy, too.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I was having nightmares about them getting an equaliser, and extra time and penos. Should not have doubted.

Redfrog

Was I not positive enough for you? Of course we are better organized. Ten Hag rectified numerous seasons of bad transfers with Martinez and Casimero. Better players = immediate improvement.
Maybe I misunderstood you but I thought you said that we are only better because we put more energy into it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Great games against a strong opponent and it feels great to come out with a win. It was a game where both teams didn't want to give opportunities to the oppo to press them in the defensive third and hence both teams went direct to win high regains. And that type of game suited Fred, who played very well.

Kounde I thought was really shaky over both legs for Barcelona. Frenkie de Jong played much better and the goalkeeper, Ter Stegen was brilliant and his distribution with both feet is also brilliant and he surely must be in the conversation as being one of the best ball playing keepers in the world. And his all-round profile as a keeper is something we need if we want to develop the first phase of the build up play to the positional play requirements of Erik ten Hag.

Jordan_mufc

Ffs couldn't watch the game. Could someone fill me in in short.
Poor first half, Barca had full control of game without doing much.

Antony and Garnacho subs changed the game, ran them ragged in the 2nd half. Fred was everywhere.

The end.

Dash247

Oh how much we missed this all of these years.
So happy with this team and performances.

Cantonalegod

Hilarious reading the Barca forum.

Apparently the ref was completely against them, Bruno should have been sent off, and how does Martínez never get booked.

Oh, and our two subs Anthony and Garnacho would walk into their team, probably the only sensible comment on there!

UpWithRivers

After such a wonderful display, I thought I shouldn't nick pick and criticise anyone but I have to.

What the heck is the ref doing? How is that a penalty!

It was 12 men against 12. They had the ref but we had the awesome OT fans!
Exactly. For some reason no one wants to talk about it. They say Ten Haag got it wrong in the first half and the players weren't playing well but the fkn pen changed it. Thats what happens when a team goes a goal up. We were doing well then the ref intervened. Not just the pen but he was giving everything against is. That meant we just had to ride out the first half and then go for it in the second half which worked out brilliantly. Fk the ref in both legs...not literally

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I get the feeling the first half was just a ploy to draw them in to a false sense of security then bam, hit them where it hurts second half.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Ffs couldn't watch the game. Could someone fill me in in short.
We felt sorry for them after not being able to win at their place, so Bruno inflicted some pointless child abuse to get them going.

Weghorst got their backline thinking the night was going to be easy.

Weghorst didn't return for the second half. The ball moved a lot more around their box.

Brazilian men put ball in the net twice because they just wanna shoot their shot.

2-1.

See you in the next round.

atkar83

All those who said we should forfeit the Europa. WTF
After watching two ties like we’ve just played, how can you not want to win every game.
Yup. Fatigue is less of an issue when you're winning. When you're playing inconsistent or poorly like we have been since 2012 then a heavy schedule takes a bigger toll. Keep winning everything you can

Kaos

Hilarious reading the Barca forum.

Apparently the ref was completely against them, Bruno should have been sent off, and how does Martínez never get booked.

Oh, and our two subs Anthony and Garnacho would walk into their team, probably the only sensible comment on there!
To be fair I went to the Barca reddit to fish for some delicious tears, but they were all surprisingly humbled. Mostly moaning about Xavi having no European pedigree, Kounde and Raphinha being shite, Busquets being old, and they all seemed to concede we were the better team. Also seemed to be quite jealous of our manager :drool:

Real Name

We felt sorry for them after not being able to win at their place, so Bruno inflicted some pointless child abuse to get them going.

Weghorst got their backline thinking the night was going to be easy.

Weghorst didn't return for the second half. The ball moved a lot more around their box.

Brazilian men put ball in the net twice because they just wanna shoot their shot.

2-1.

See you in the next round.
Thanks. :)

Real Name

Poor first half, Barca had full control of game without doing much.

Antony and Garnacho subs changed the game, ran them ragged in the 2nd half. Fred was everywhere.

The end.
It's so great having a manager who identifies problems and solves them right away.

NICanRed

Don't watch that much European football (other than PL, of course) and knew of Varane and Casimero. They have been wonderful additions but what a gem Martinez has turned out to be. Maybe he's better because of his height - the old saying - "number two tries harder".
It's not fair to single out any player here as this was a team sport played by a real team. Even though they will be exhausted I cant help feeling a little pumped for Sunday.

moodyred

Exactly. For some reason no one wants to talk about it. They say Ten Haag got it wrong in the first half and the players weren't playing well but the fkn pen changed it. Thats what happens when a team goes a goal up. We were doing well then the ref intervened. Not just the pen but he was giving everything against is. That meant we just had to ride out the first half and then go for it in the second half which worked out brilliantly. Fk the ref in both legs...not literally
Yap....and you should do it to the ref literally.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Absolutely love this team. Such a fun time to be a Utd fan again. Feels good!

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 50% of 410 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw