EL W Europa League Play-off 2nd Leg

Manchester United 2:1 Barcelona

Post-match discussion

Thu, 23 February 2023

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ter Stegen should have saved both goals imo. I believe David would have.
David wouldn't even make Barcelona's squad because ever since Michels/Cruyff, they want a keeper who can give them the below hence they've been very successful at the highest level in the last 30 years

lex talionis

A deserved and glorious win over a club of levering shitbags which we now have conclusive proof, without there being any plausible alternative explanation for those payments, cheats to win matches.

NLunited

David wouldn't even make Barcelona's squad because ever since Michels/Cruyff, they want a keeper who can give them the below hence they've been very successful at the highest level in the last 30 years

Of course, but he has to stop shots too. These two goals were savable. I think our fans are too harsh on De Gea. He probably would have saved those shots.

So if we replace De Gea, someone who is good with his feet is a prerequisite, as well as being an exceptionial shot stopper.

If not, we are going backwards.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Another great team display. ETH is the man with his subs and tactics.

Does this victory show the gulf between the EPL and the rest of Europe is getting wider? 3rd place beat 1st place fairly easily really.

All played well with desire except for Sancho. He looked sleepy throughout.

BEST No7

Went to the game. First half we didn't click, softest imaginible penalty. Great comeback and the atmosphere was the best in years. We really are our way back.
Fantastic mate. OT was rocking tonight, love it

gregwar

Absolutely fecking loved that.

Whisper it - we might be back lads.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Bruno intentionally hitting De Jong with the ball at full force was every United fan who is pissed at Frankie for thinking he's better than us. Was worth the yellow card :)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Of course, but he has to stop shots too. These two goals were savable. I think our fans are too harsh on De Gea. He probably would have saved those shots.

So if we replace De Gea, someone who is good with his feet is a prerequisite, as well as being an exceptionial shot stopper.

If not, we are going backwards.
I don't believe De Gea is one of the best shot stoppers in the world and I'm sure the statistics will back me up on that.

Of course we need a good shot stopper and I'm sure there will be good shot stoppers that the scouts will know about. But for me it's about taking positive steps towards creating a team that fits the methods of ten Hag. A keeper who is commanding against the high ball and technically secure in possesion will aid the collective where less defending will have to be done by the outfield players.

The below is what I saw from De Gea tonight and the statistics confirm that. That's no where near good enough in comparison to the competition, when Ter Stegen
had a 90% completion rate.

De Gea had a pass completion of 54% compared to 90% for Ter Stegen. De Gea made 15 long passes completing only 4. Ter Stegen made 18 long passes completing 14, and only misplaced 4 passes from a total of 37 passes made. Casemiro saved us today, by making some fantastic blocks but I'm not sure how long ten Hag will want to carry De Gea in the build up transition.

https://www.sofascore.com/manchester-united-barcelona/Ksrgb

Last edited:

Cantonagotmehere

Another great team display. ETH is the man with his subs and tactics.

Does this victory show the gulf between the EPL and the rest of Europe is getting wider? 3rd place beat 1st place fairly easily really.

All played well with desire except for Sancho. He looked sleepy throughout.
So fun, so damn fun. Barca might be my favorite team to beat besides Pool.

Get ready for the head of La Liga to come out with press conference complaining about how unfair the Prem is dominating and has all the money and is much more fun to watch.

And as you said..Sancho is very lucky DeGea made that save. That was zero effort at home vs Barca, I could not believe it. I love him and so glad he's getting better, but wow there.

adamwest

Don't post often and have only glanced at the replies here but need to get my thoughts down.

I'll start with the negatives. After the way the Leicester game shaped up I really went into this in a negative mindset. I usually do nowadays, even after a resounding win or excellent performance and i'd pin that to the countless false dawns we've had in the last decade +. To my annoyance, or expectance, we duly delivered on my assumption and were rubbish first half today. It needs to be sorted and i'm sure in time it will.

But.. the transformation second half.. .left me almost speechless. I don't want to use this thread as a place to hone in on Ten Hag specifically, but my word what a job he is doing. The way he handled the Ronaldo situation (doesn't get talked about enough IMO), the quality of football, the signings he's made. After seeing Liverpool get Klopp and City get Pep I was wondering if we'd ever get somebody of that ilk in the foreseeable future, but i'm convinced we really have that now. I'd made peace (in my negative mindset) of us losing tonight, and also losing on Sunday, but had already made my mind up that we've, finally, got the right man to lead this club.

edcunited1878

I don't believe De Gea is one of the best shot stoppers in the world and I'm sure the statistics will back me up on that.

Of course we need a good shot stopper and I'm sure there will be good shot stoppers that the scouts will know about. But for me it's about taking positive steps towards creating a team that fits the methods of ten Hag. A keeper who is commanding against the high ball and technically secure in possesion will aid the collective where less defending will have to be done by the outfield players.

The below is what I saw from De Gea tonight and the statistics confirm that. That's no where near good enough in comparison to the competition, when Ter Stegen

De Gea had a pass completion of 54% compared to 90% for Ter Stegen. De Gea made 15 long passes completing only 4. Ter Stegen made 18 long passes completing 14, and only misplaced 4 passes from a total of 37 passes made. Casemiro saved us today, by making some fantastic blocks but I'm not sure how long ten Hag will want to carry De Gea in the build up transition.

As far as we can tell, this time will come where United have a more well-rounded GK who fits the overall approach that EtH wants to play. It was evident at Ajax and it will be more evident at United and we're seeing why. For the time being, we will only go off what we see and that's DDG making big saves when it counts and he's doing what he can (it's limited) on the ball.

United's xG for today's match was lower than their goal output, so they were more clinical and/or ter Stegen let in at least 1 goal that he shouldn't have...that is pretty clear.

I totally agree that United will need a new GK that is confident and aggressive on claiming high balls/crosses, is much better with his feet for all things passing, and is comfortable going 1v1 with a better penalty record. But with that new player comes a lot more scrutiny, pressure, and mental stress. Also, will their reflexes, positioning, anticipation, catching, calmness, and ability to make saves after doing nothing of note be the requisite level? Let's hope so. But we should all understand and except that GKs will always have mistakes in them and that is evident the more they are involved in the general outfield play.

But we continue on with DDG and he has his flaws like the overall squad, but it's not that bad compared to the gaping hole at CF and secondary scorer to Marcus (i.e., CF).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
As far as we can tell, this time will come where United have a more well-rounded GK who fits the overall approach that EtH wants to play. It was evident at Ajax and it will be more evident at United and we're seeing why. For the time being, we will only go off what we see and that's DDG making big saves when it counts and he's doing what he can (it's limited) on the ball.

United's xG for today's match was lower than their goal output, so they were more clinical and/or ter Stegen let in at least 1 goal that he shouldn't have...that is pretty clear.

I totally agree that United will need a new GK that is confident and aggressive on claiming high balls/crosses, is much better with his feet for all things passing, and is comfortable going 1v1 with a better penalty record. But with that new player comes a lot more scrutiny, pressure, and mental stress. Also, will their reflexes, positioning, anticipation, catching, calmness, and ability to make saves after doing nothing of note be the requisite level? Let's hope so. But we should all understand and except that GKs will always have mistakes in them and that is evident the more they are involved in the general outfield play.

But we continue on with DDG and he has his flaws like the overall squad, but it's not that bad compared to the gaping hole at CF and secondary scorer to Marcus (i.e., CF).
That's fair enough.

And I'm sorry if I came across as being negative when we've won the tie against one of the biggest club's in Europe.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

You forgot the stat that really matters

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great result, and well deserved in the end. Looking at the chances created, it felt like we were the better team overall.

arthurka

Comparing Ter Stegen and DDG is a bit like comparing Coke v RC Cola, they both serve the same purpose. Jesus this was a good victory.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You forgot the stat that really matters
I didn't mention the most important stats but rather alluded to the development of a team towards the most important stats which are winning the biggest titles like the champions league within a defined style of play. And Ter Stegen has aided that development for Luis Enrique where they've won the biggest honours within a play style that was developed over time.

NLunited

Well said. No way we replace David with anything less than a world class gk. I look at Ter Stegen today and am not impressed. Despite his good passing.

championo

Top Stalker
Only came here for the money, right?

I already knew, but this reaffirm that you want players that are fans of the club. Casimiro and Varane appear to have been lifelong fans.
I think they actually told their agents that Man Utd were the only clubs they wanted to join. We should be done with the mercs.

Bertie Wooster

Two great ties and a brilliant victory. :)

Those 10 minutes though from 70-80 were a real emotional rollercoaster - first, fearing about Casemiro's ankle after Lewandowski's foul. Then the high of the winning goal. Then the fear again, this time about Rashford's ankle.

Hopefully Casemiro is fine. The fact he carried on, and looked fine in the celebrations, all bodes well. Don't like the video of Rashford limping in the car park. Though I don't know what to make of his Instagram message - seems strange to announce it so soon to Newcastle if there is a genuine issue so, hopefully, that's a double bluff.

Have to wait and see, but it'll be a dampener on such a big win if he's out for the final - and maybe longer.

sirAlexsglasses

what these stats don’t tell you is the players, we’re they in positions to receive the ball well enough. We all know that this is the staple at Barca, we are still transitioning and have not mastered this yet as is obvious with the amount of misplaced passes we still make outfield.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What a result!

Need to find the replay somewhere online especially the 2nd half

Adnan

Talent Spotter
what these stats don’t tell you is the players, we’re they in positions to receive the ball well enough. We all know that this is the staple at Barca, we are still transitioning and have not mastered this yet as is obvious with the amount of misplaced passes we still make outfield.
The players were positioned from what I observed. But imo it's a case of Erik ten Hag implementing and also compromising.

edcunited1878

That's fair enough.

And I'm sorry if I came across as being negative when we've won the tie against one of the biggest club's in Europe.
I/We appreciate your POVs, no reason to apologize but shows your character and awareness, so major props to you. You're one of the more valid and well thought out posters/people here compared to the hyperbole that is spouted especially during matchdays and in general!

Overall you're right, but even then, the adjustment the team will make (hopefully it'll be a net positive as many of us assume) and the expectations and compromises supporters have will be interesting and we'll have to get on with it.

edcunited1878

United have beaten Barcelona, I just love the way that sounds.
Without compromising their financial future...it's just mindboggling what Barca did, seemingly got away with it in the present, and yet they are getting by in La Liga while Europe, which is a massive part of their financial forecasts...have gone tits up. Sponsorship revenue isn't going to continue saving them when they just gave Spotify their largest assets in one partnership - naming rights, shirt, training kit, etc.

Mes Que un Club our arses. fecking sellouts.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I/We appreciate your POVs, no reason to apologize but shows your character and awareness, so major props to you. You're one of the more valid and well thought out posters/people here compared to the hyperbole that is spouted especially during matchdays and in general!

Overall you're right, but even then, the adjustment the team will make (hopefully it'll be a net positive as many of us assume) and the expectations and compromises supporters have will be interesting and we'll have to get on with it.
Thanks for the kind words, mate.

I agree with your post, and we'll just have to wait and see how things develop. But as things stand we're doing well and hopefully we can win our first trophy of the season on Sunday.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Excellent win against an excellent opponent. What I found so refreshing was that after we went behind, we didn't panic or collapse. Last year we were imploding in these kinds of games. ETH has brought belief to the team. So great to watch.

edcunited1878

I already knew, but this reaffirm that you want players that are fans of the club. Casimiro and Varane appear to have been lifelong fans.
I think they actually told their agents that Man Utd were the only clubs they wanted to join. We should be done with the mercs.
To be fair, you can take the player and person out of (Real) Madrid, but you can't take their distain and hatred of Barcelona.

And Garnacho is the same. You have these mentality monsters and then it means so, so, so much to them in these massive matchups. Same with having local lads play in a meaningful Derby, it just means more and they are willing to run through a brick wall to win. The pressing, counterpressing, closing down, and just the chaos controlled effort brings makes the difference in close matches like we saw. Bruno, Fred, Varane, Lisandro, Shaw, etc. just putting themselves about and it overwhelms even the best teams. That's where this is headed. It's intense but calculated.

edcunited1878

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Excellent win against an excellent opponent. What I found so refreshing was that after we went behind, we didn't panic or collapse. Last year we were imploding in these kinds of games. ETH has brought belief to the team. So great to watch.
The tactical belief and acumen of not only EtH, but coupled with Mitchell van der Haag and backroom analysts is mindnumbing of the best kind. The players are really accountable to be mentally and physically prepared and have to naturally adjust within a match, but also execute to the plan...but it's not entirely rigid. Halftime came at a great time and United didn't concede a 2nd crucial goal, but it's not like Barca were jamming shit down United's goal, they had to suffer and dig, but you should expect that against a good team, even the La Liga leaders.

And the depth we're seeing from Garnacho, Sancho, Antony, even without a first choice CF is fantastic. Then you introduce the positional flexibility of Bruno and Rashford, hot damn...got something cooking. Having 5 subs should benefit the top/bigger teams, unless you're Pep and don't want to sub anyone.

Suedesi

To be fair, they're the best side in Spain by some margin. Their defense has been arguably the best in the world as they've only conceded 7 goals total all season so far.

They conceded 4 times over 2 legs against us and we were the better team through both.

Think it's more a reflection of what Xavi was saying this past week, that we're genuinely becoming one of the better sides in Europe under ETH.

Only Premier League team to win a European knockout match against the best opposition of any of those other sides
There's no effing chance Barcelona are a better side than Real Madrid in European knockout matches.

Suedesi

Fred - Speaker of post match gibberish, and only player on earth who has the potential to finish the season with more motm awards than appearances, due to frequently winning them for both teams

Antony - ffs use your right foot, no your RIGHT foo....oh never mind as I was saying the left is fine.

Martinez - he can't even give his team mate some water without doing it so aggressively it looks like someone force feeding a baby in some kind of child cruelty camp.

Rashford - guess he was due a game off from single handedly retiring half the opposition back 4.

Garnacho/Sancho - whichever one starts looks rubbish, and whichever one comes on to replace them looks great. Well in Garnacho's case looks like they've glued some cheese to their head in an attempt to blend in as a human, but still.

Lewandowski - I was underwhelmed. Why is he always flopping his body around and generally behaving like a fish?

The ref - what a weirdo. The penalty wasn't completely outrageous but he spent a good 20 minutes of the game making it illegal for Barcelona to lose the ball,then in the last 10 minutes seemed to decide everything any Barcelona player did constituted a foul.

All in all 100/10 to every player
:lol:

Spot on

Gurtej

Any update on Rashford injury? Saw his video of limping a bit!

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 50% of 410 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw