CL L Champions League Group A

Bayern Munich 4:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 September 2023

DDG has actually let that first goal in several times just last season.

Onana may not be the answer (I think he is) but DDG's time was up long before last season even started.
Exactly. West Ham away, Sevilla away, Brentford away, FA Cup final.

astracrazy

i dont like the fact Onana has already run to the media. Cry me a river please, he needs to forget about the media straight away after a loss and start thinking of improving. Its not in his best interest to run to the press. They will slaughter him. lets hope he is serious about this and improves.
Oh give over. Thats not what he is doing and you know it.

evil_geko

That is not the gimmick. Asking for an interview when he is not scheduled for one is the "gimmick".
It is unnecessary. It is the same crap like players going on their social media and posting "We know we have let you down today. Will keep our heads high and make you happy next time" after every loss.
Player taking responsibility is a "gimmick" now, our fanbase is in shambles. :houllier:

RedDevil@84

No it isn't, that shite's written by PR reps and is quite literally avoiding putting themselves out there to front up.
I don't see much of a difference. Words are just words. Show it on the field.
Thank god Eriksen didn't apologize for having arms tonight.

astracrazy

I do not like these Twitter / X posts, but if this is a direct quote, then I can only commend the guy. At least he is telling it how it is. I think Onana is going to be an asset to our team, I do. Keeper's make bad errors, all keeper's do. It's how they respond. DDG was battered for a few games when he arrived, many, many doubted his ability. SAF and the players stuck with him and the rest is history.
Its on youtube

astracrazy

That is not the gimmick. Asking for an interview when he is not scheduled for one is the "gimmick".
It is unnecessary. It is the same crap like players going on their social media and posting "We know we have let you down today. Will keep our heads high and make you happy next time" after every loss.
Give it a rest. You're boring. Always digging. A disgrace of a "fan".

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Bayern without high pressure feels like an abomination.
The fact that the players were so sloppy and uninterested to go and kill the game is another black spot. Also, the players can't pass the ball it seems when trying fast combos around the opposition box.

Tuchel wants defense and midfield stability, but he doesn't have an anchor point in midfield like Busquets, Martinez, Fernandinho Rodri or Casemiro, forming a system without the necessary players is asking for a debacle.

Think if Tuchel doesn't change his approach, Bayern is going to have a garbage season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

How robotic and brainless can you be to still get a job interviewing players after matches? It's not that hard. Onana opens up with saying the team played really well up until the goal he conceded and that the mistake probably was the difference between winning and losing. And that idiot proceeds to ask him immediately after that (paraphrasing) "there was a lot made of that first goal conceded, do you feel like it was your fault and that it affected the game".

What is the job description? Always stick to the script, do not listen to any outside noises, the script, remember the script.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Lets see how we will deal with the other teams first shouldn't we?

:D I laughed and cryed at the same time

I think, if the game would have been more in limbo, Bayern might have been a little more serious for the whole time. Not like they were swimming or anything. You can't just take away a goal shortly after half time and act as if the rest of the game would have been exactly the same. Bayern wasn't fantastic but they were better than us.
Then my attitude would still have been the same. The issue is with the decision. If the performance warrants the result, or if it's just not our day, I can live with that. Shit decisions by something that is supposed to reduce shit decisions isnt something anyone should be living with. We can go back to the time before VAR and cry foul, but at least those were human mistakes and they are just one of those things. But this had multiple people looking at it, and according to the rules, its a pen. A yard away, ball to hand, and arms in a natural position relative to his movement and its a pen? Never. Never, EVER. Even if that decision was going in our favour, Id still call it bullshit. Cos thats what it was, bullshit. And on top of that it looks like someone looked at it said "nah, not a pen." and pushed the check over button. Then someone else over ruled that, started a new check and then sent the ref to the monitor. Shit decision with a bit of suspect garnish on the side.

AndyMUFC

I mean we were decent to start with, just like the weekend but we conceded 4 goals and you get the sense that if they were at their best it could've been a cricket score.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Bayern without high pressure feels like an abomination.
The fact that the players were so sloppy and uninterested to go and kill the game is another black spot. Also, the players can't pass the ball it seems when trying fast combos around the opposition box.

Tuchel wants defense and midfield stability, but he doesn't have an anchor point in midfield like Busquets, Martinez, Fernandinho Rodri or Casemiro, forming a system without the necessary players is asking for a debacle.

Think if Tuchel doesn't change his approach, Bayern is going to have a garbage season.
Swapsies Casemiro for Musiala?

tomaldinho1

For a sense of perspective. That’s our 2nd choice RB, 3rd choice CB, 3rd choice LB, 3rd choice RW, Martinez, Hojlund, Eriksen half fit and Casemiro after a summer apparently going loco down in Acapulco.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Swapsies Casemiro for Musiala?
Nope, this Casemiro feels like it doesn't have the legs anymore.
Musiala is a 50/50 for me at the moment. I feel his type of player has gone extinct for a reason, but who knows, if he has the talent and brain to carry on to another level, maybe he can became world class.

I'm much more interested and have higher expectations from Tel though. He plays with conviction and takes his chances seriously, doesn't half-arse at all.

NZT-One

Then my attitude would still have been the same. The issue is with the decision. If the performance warrants the result, or if it's just not our day, I can live with that. Shit decisions by something that is supposed to reduce shit decisions isnt something anyone should be living with. We can go back to the time before VAR and cry foul, but at least those were human mistakes and they are just one of those things. But this had multiple people looking at it, and according to the rules, its a pen. A yard away, ball to hand, and arms in a natural position relative to his movement and its a pen? Never. Never, EVER. Even if that decision was going in our favour, Id still call it bullshit. Cos thats what it was, bullshit. And on top of that it looks like someone looked at it said "nah, not a pen." and pushed the check over button. Then someone else over ruled that, started a new check and then sent the ref to the monitor. Shit decision with a bit of suspect garnish on the side.
See your point. When we isolate it on this matter, I'd be with you. Just commented because I felt it would be wrong to make the wrong conclusions about it.

MrBest

I disagree. I think we fought as best we could. We're just not good enough given our squad. We have major limitations.
Yeah a couple of players can break a sweat, but so often this season so far, we have players that jog. It's pathetic, but that's my opinion.

Bobski

City basically have a clear run at another CL don't they? If this Bayern are the second favourites I am not optimistic.

dogwithabone

I mean we were decent to start with, just like the weekend but we conceded 4 goals and you get the sense that if they were at their best it could've been a cricket score.
We could very easily have scored 6 ourselves, not sure if that counts as a cricket score but it wasn’t as one sided as your making out.

The Irish Connection

Similar to the Arsenal game. Were better than them for large parts but still lost.
Howler gift from Onana and an extremely harsh penalty against us.
I thought they were poor but we were equally poor.
Reguilon is playing well so far.
I thought Onana was very good on the ball in the first 25 minutes, but when we crossed the halfway line we kept giving it away cheaply, and his error was indefensible.
Odd game.
Hope Amrabat can start soon.

philippexyz

Midfield needs complete revamp(Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno). That's my definite conclusion after this game, if we want to compete against the best teams in the world. No ball carrying, ball retention, press resistance whatsoever. "Hot potato" midfield, as I call it. That's how they treat the ball, release it as soon as possible, often doesn't even matter where. It also lacks athleticism, legs, speed. We're going nowhere with it.

croadyman

Disappointed our poor defence cost us a point,we were seemingly always chasing by 2 goals

Irishman

Thought Sancho played well...........Sorry, I need to come off xbox.

Kevzter

Positives.

Rasmus got his first goal, so that’s out of the way.

Pellistri got a good run out and was fairly effective early on, when we were doing OK.
Don’t forget, he hasn’t had more than infrequent minutes and needs more game time after this. He will get better if given the chance.

Reguilon is giving his all and looking good for that LB spot.
Excellent effort.

Garnacho back to his impact sub form.
His confidence needs it after his previous disappointing displays.

We finally showed some fight and determination, even if it was too late and a consolation for this match.
That fighting, team spirit has been a key missing ingredient.
This is one of the most important elements ETH has to in-still in this squad.
He has to use this result and how the game panned out, as a motivating drive for the next game on Saturday.
Reguilon looks to be our best out of the new players coming into the team this season which is very surprising, even if we did get him on loan...it looks like he realises this is his last big career move in the top flight. We should sign him permanently if he can keep his form going.

Rashford and others who constantly take us and their careers for granted could learn a thing or three from him and his attitude.

leeroyTX

I'm not disappointed by the outcome. It's honestly a little better than I expected. Actual fight for the entire 90+. Yes, their first goal was s*** and then thrown in a pk (which was legit, IMO). I appreciated the pressing and the fight they actually showed for the first time this season...at least over more than just short periods of time. I just hope this carries over to Saturday and the 2 against Palace next week. Have to come away from those games with 6 points and moving on in the Moose Cup.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Judas

Open to offers
Reguilon was comfortably one of our better performers tonight, which is shameful. What is it with fresh players coming in and looking good, but I'm almost certain by the time he's ready to leave again he'll be playing shit.

evil_geko

Reguilon was comfortably one of our better performers tonight, which is shameful. What is it with fresh players coming in and looking good, but I'm almost certain by the time he's ready to leave again he'll be playing shit.
Nothing shameful about that, he was a great player before coming to Spurs, people think he forgot how to play good football just because Spurs don't rate him anymore. They are hardly a great judge of players.

AndyMUFC

We could very easily have scored 6 ourselves, not sure if that counts as a cricket score but it wasn’t as one sided as your making out.
I mean I personally thought we were lucky to score 3, however what I'm saying is they still scored 4 without even being that great so I can only imagine what the score could've been if they had been on top of their game.

always_hoping

With an hour played the 3-1 score line wasn't a true reflection and of course the opening goal a gift from their first attack of the game on 28 minutes and Bayern restoring their two goal advantage with very debatable penalty.

An hour played basic stats

Shots on goal - Bayern 8 Man United 6
Shots on target - Bayern 3 Man United 2
Passes - Bayern 345 United 284

The rest of the game Bayern had their best spell in the game yet outscored 2-1. Of course the post and few decent saves prevented United from conceding more that 1 goal in the final 30 mins plus added time.

Shots on goal - Bayern 11 Man United 3
Shots on target - Bayern 6 Man United 2
Passes - Bayern 233 United 109

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Teams are giving us tactical lessons this season. People keep saying we started well, so.

Every team starts a game with a game plan and it’s not a 5mins thing to counter it. After 20mins in every game we see a swing in momentum against us. Yet people saying we were good.

I would’ve been fine if we wrestle back momentum and make it a ding dong of momentum swings but no we just never regain any sort of momentum. Yet people saying we were good.

Let’s look at our goals. None of them was a result of us pummelling them. Every time we score it was random and unexpected. Their defending was having lapses in concentration just like ours. Yet people saying we were good.

I’d say finally we are seeing flashes from this team in what can be but it’s not enough to label that performance more than it was.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Teams are giving us tactical lessons this season. People keep saying we started well, so.

Every team starts a game with a game plan and it’s not a 5mins thing to counter it. After 20mins in every game we see a swing in momentum against us. Yet people saying we were good.

I would’ve been fine if we wrestle back momentum and make it a ding dong of momentum swings but no we just never regain any sort of momentum. Yet people saying we were good.

Let’s look at our goals. None of them was a result of us pummelling them. Every time we score it was random and unexpected. Their defending was having lapses in concentration just like ours. Yet people saying we were good.

I’d say finally we are seeing flashes from this team in what can be but it’s not enough to label that performance more than it was.
Bayern also went into cruise control every time they went up by two goals, and only switched back on each time we pulled one back (at which point they almost instantly scored again). They could have scored six today if they had really wanted to.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

I think the momentum thing is a little tough given we got a goal back at the start of the half, before immediately having the wind taken from us by that penalty.

I also don't think our goals were hugely random, we were getting plenty of joy down the left side all game with all of Rashford, Reguilon and in the latter stages Garnacho.

Not to say I think we were great or deserved a win (or even a draw given how we collapsed defensively after the third goal), but I feel better after that match than I did after Brighton.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bayern Munich win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Bayern Munich 3:0 Man Utd
  • 10% Bayern Munich 3:1 Man Utd