CL L Champions League Group A

Bayern Munich 4:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 September 2023

reelworld

On a more positive note, I really love Hojlund goal. It's classic number 9 goal. On the turn, hit it almost cleanly, ball hit a defender try to block it, but it still went it. It's something we really lacking last season.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Me too. That match could easily have ended 5-1 and we couldn't have complained. 2 end of match goals that make no difference to the fact that we lost cannot gloss over poor performance. People who say we would have won without the pen are deluded. We were in the game for 20 minutes at the begining and then for 2 minutes after the 2-1.

Cantonagotmehere

On a more positive note, I really love Hojlund goal. It's classic number 9 goal. On the turn, hit it almost cleanly, ball hit a defender try to block it, but it still went it. It's something we really lacking last season.
It was great mate, just like his darn disallowed goal last week. We have not scored goal like that for ages. This season I live for Hojlund coming good and goals like Hannibal's. Need to find positives where we can..... ;)

buchansleftleg

Really weird to say it after conceding 4 goals, but I felt our defence played quite well, they were just let down by other players around them.

Onana - Terrible mistake for first goal, but unlike DdG his head didn't go and he made one other excellent save when a goal looked certain
Regulion - Best player on the pitch, not supported very well by Rashford at all he still tried all game
Lindelof - last ditch attempt to stop a goal failed but otherwise an Ok performance, considering Martinez was marking Kane
Martinez - was all over Kane and dragged out of position at times by him falling deeper
Dalot - tracked his runner on the second goal, what a pity no-one else in midfield tracked their man to help him

Eriksen - a dreadful game, he's too slow to be a DLP and after 20 minutes was just walking around the pitch
Casemiro - 2 goals to mask his worst performance in midfield. Didn;t track runners and was to blame for the crucial 2nd goal. If we hadn't conceded that goal it would have been a closer game.
Bruno - at least he ran back to support the defence but his distribution was very poor

Hojlund - had a few little scraps to feed off and his press was ineffective because others didn't bother to join in. But was a strong presence upfield
Pellestri - Tireless work and tracking back, supported Dalot and would have offered more threat if any balls over the top had been more accurate
Rashford - Really poor performance, only tracked back when a threat emerged and tried to use his pace to recover. He didn't press and had an attitude problem until Garnacho came on the pitch.

Subs
McTominay - a total waste of a substitution - the only benefit he brought was that Eriksen was finally off the pitch. something that should have happened at Half time. He really isn't fit to wear the shirt
Garnacho - Genuine threat and created havoc in the Bayern defence. should have been selected ahead of Rashford
Martial - giving him a few minutes to run around against tired defenders is all he can offer so he looked promising but effort is minimal as usual

RedDevil@84

but unlike DdG his head didn't go and he made one other excellent save when a goal looked certain
That's absolute bollocks. De Gea has made silly mistakes and followed it up with brilliant saves so many times. You need not shit on DDG to praise Onana

Maticmaker

Martial had his best ten minutes in .... well, recent memory.
Every time we managed to create some momentum or moved forward on the left, once the ball reached Rashford the move ended or went backwards. Admittedly Marcus was often faced with two or even three Bayern defenders, but if you can't go forward, you take evasive action and that was rare with him last night.
Up to the first goal we looked at least as good as Bayern, but that one mistake and everybody's legs buckled for the next 10/15 minutes, Bayern could/should have been well out of sight before we showed anything in response.
Final score looks good but, wasn't; however we when we had overcome the shock, we kept going to the end... still scored 3 at the Allianze, not many people do that!
'Poachers goal' from Hojlund, the one bright moment of hope for the future!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think you guys are being too negative. Only the absolute best teams challenge Bayern at their own ground and take away something countable!

Bruno8

Our midfield needs to be redone, its very slow, poor at tracking back, slow in transition. Its just one big giant hole crying for new young energetic players

always_hoping

I think you guys are being too negative. Only the absolute best teams challenge Bayern at their own ground and take away something countable!
Yes as I pointed out before the game Bayern in their last ten home champions league games had won 8 and drew two and conceded just 3 goals in those ten games and played the the likes of Man City,Inter,PSG and Barcelona twice.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
My heart was in my mouth every time he received the ball with his back to the goal inside our box. He's so good at finding runners arriving late and we suck so bad at marking those runs.
I always expect him to score or cause goals against us because its just what he does, but I also always expect him to behave like a little bitch, because this is also just what he does.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Really weird to say it after conceding 4 goals, but I felt our defence played quite well, they were just let down by other players around them.

Eriksen - a dreadful game, he's too slow to be a DLP and after 20 minutes was just walking around the pitch
Good post and I agree with most of your assessments but have to bring up this one.

There were a few times we used Scholes (old man Scholes, post comeback) as an anchor in a midfield three, he’d sit deeper than the others and pull strings. Even at 38 his passing game and long balls were sublime.

Second coming Scholes couldn’t sprint for long, he’d get around the pitch okay but didn’t have the legs of Eriksen who is much younger. I guess one ace up his sleeve was that even as an old player he had very quick feet and was hard to dispossess.

I think slower players can still work a playmaking role, Pirlo for instance was never very fast. Eriksen just had a rotten night, sadly. His head really went down after his early shot was saved.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Missed it. Was it good?
It was good entertainment but not really a good match. Bayern's defence continue to prove to be a problem and United is in trouble as we all know.

Felt a lot like Bayern were not really taking United seriously and considering how quickly they answered twice to United it felt a bit justified, but still this Bayern team lacks a lot of concentration and ruthlessness, they are still very far away from their best.

Which also roughly summarizes the reaction of German media to this match - scoring four is good, but conceding three against this United team is inacceptable.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
God even the German media think were mud. We aint that bad! We beat Barcelona this year, and won a cup, honest! :lol:

Son

It’s a bit overreaction. It was the same as the Brighton game exactly so we learnt nothing. We came out with a slither of credit at least by putting doubts on Bayern anyways.

They won’t win the champions league either with their defending right now so we are in the same boat. Well… apart from the fact the bar is lower for us.

Getting out the group would be successful… Crazy how far we’ve fallen but here we are.

Offsideagain

Just another poor outing of some overpaid, overrated players again. I don't think even Burnley will be quaking in their boots when we go there on Saturday. Hojlund can settle now he's scored one. We need the injured players back. Shaw to partner Varane for me and I'd put Martinez just in front of them. Reguilon has pace and can tackle. Dalot or AWB at right back

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
God even the German media think were mud. We aint that bad! We beat Barcelona this year, and won a cup, honest! :lol:
True, but in comparison to their last season it's terrible. They ended the group stage with a GD of 18:2, so they are already worse after one match than after six last year. And those six include beating Barca twice, so beating Barca is in the context of Bayern Munich nothing special, that's their daily business.

The most recent match that was highly interesting for the German media involving Barca was probably them getting embarassed by Frankfurt when they won the EL, which was mostly seen as final proof that the glory days of Pep/Messi are truly over there. They currently don't exist as a true top team in German perception until they do something noteworthy again.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Our midfield is a huge worry. Must say having our captain be this careless and gift the ball away like that which resulted in their final goal is not good. I think he needs a rest.
A rest won’t be the answer. That’s just the way he plays and as always played. There’s no changing him.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Listening to radio last night and there was people saying it was the most 1 sided game they’ve ever seen and someone said despite the 7 goals it was a boring match. I was like whaaat! They obvs didn’t watch the city game the other night, 30+ attempts :lol: But was still only 3-1.

always_hoping

Listening to radio last night and there was people saying it was the most 1 sided game they’ve ever seen and someone said despite the 7 goals it was a boring match. I was like whaaat! They obvs didn’t watch the city game the other night, 30+ attempts :lol: But was still only 3-1.
Like what indeed. Watched the game on Virgin media, I don't often say this but Damien Delaney talked the most since by basically calling it like it was. The smug Liverpool supporting presenter and Brian Kerr was like they were watching another match with their views while Richard Dunne is bloody awful had to turn it off than listening to him anymore.

Jordi Cruyff 99

De Gea's last European away "performance".
So what? David de Gea bailed the club out more times than I can remember. Onana will have howlers while never being able to bail the club out. He's just no in that calibre, but not many area. It was a stupid move to get rid of David de Gea. It would've been a smarter move to actually get outfield players that are able to pass the ball.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It was good entertainment but not really a good match. Bayern's defence continue to prove to be a problem and United is in trouble as we all know.

Felt a lot like Bayern were not really taking United seriously and considering how quickly they answered twice to United it felt a bit justified, but still this Bayern team lacks a lot of concentration and ruthlessness, they are still very far away from their best.

Which also roughly summarizes the reaction of German media to this match - scoring four is good, but conceding three against this United team is inacceptable.
Thank you. Great summary

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I see the last ~10 years of mediocrity weren't enough for Leverkusen fans to stay a bit more humble ;)

Glorio

Can I just say, Anthony Martial - where the actual heck did all that come from?!! :lol:

reelworld

It was great mate, just like his darn disallowed goal last week. We have not scored goal like that for ages. This season I live for Hojlund coming good and goals like Hannibal's. Need to find positives where we can..... ;)
yeah, you and me mate, you and me.
Hes' the only player in this squad that I look forward playing tbh

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bayern Munich win
  • Draw

Detailed Results