CL L Champions League Group A

Manchester United 0:1 Bayern Munich

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 December 2023

Pjisared

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Bruno takes charge of all free kicks and corners. I can't recollect any successful outcomes from any.
The only danger from free kicks is to either the opponents wall or someone in row z.
Is it a i'm captain so do as i say syndrome. Surely the manager or one of the coaches should be advising differently.

astracrazy

Hard to judge the performance. We weren’t that bad, but we were playing against a Bayern that were already through and still ended up losing.
We were.

Rasmus should be nowhere near the starting 11, he is simply not ready. Which is why it was idiotic to spend that much on him. Its a weight hanging around his neck, and he may not ever recover from it here.
He'd have been taken off if Martial was available, and I think it would have benefitted us with him dropping off. He was trying to do the same thing against their two CB for 90 mins last night without realising it wasn't working. He isn't ready to be our main striker - and that's not his fault.

lex talionis

Bad pre season bad start to season, bad transfer bad injuries and piss poor, play from the ones we got, inconsistent to say the least.. £100 million wasted on A keeper and CM .. who have been ... I haven't got any words to say ran out of them .... just look out next season as this ones done.. 7th in league at best.. if they scrape 5th it will be a disaster Glazers rub hands again. 5th could get CL ...
The disastrous preseason needs more attention from Sir Jim or whoever he will appoint to run the football operation.

Last night’s performance was baked into the cake over the summer with the toxic combination of our idiotic transfer decisions as well as the shamblic tour in America.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I can't help wondering whether we had a scout at the Frankfurt game at the weekend - there are clearly ways to get at Bayern's defence. I worry that maybe the vampires don't pay for this sort of "not required" preparation anymore

Lost bear

Nice to read a positive input, especially after getting kicked out of Europe.
And I pretty much agree with some of what you have said.

But the reality is that after 5 different managers and an eye watering amount of money, the vast majority of the squad is at best bang average.
That is the reality.

Ten Hag is quite clearly struggling under the weight of pressure at such a big club.
Whether he is actually good enough to take us to the next level is debatable. But so far, his transfers have added very little to the team.
And the midfield is way off being effective.
Yes. I agree with a lot of what you’ve said, too. The transfer business has been awful, and some of that is on ten Hag. I don’t know whether he’s good enough either. After a promising start he has clearly made some serious errors.

If you look back at SAF’s era, much of the squad wasn’t great either. But he always had enough real quality to get us through. That’s what I think the current squad lacks, though it has been partly down to injuries. And partly down to poor judgement on the transfer market.

However, I personally think that with the entire first team back from injury and a bit of astute buying of players, we can make it to that next level. We’re not a whole squad away, which some of the doom merchants on here would have us believe.

Giggsyking

If someone told me in the summer that in our most important CL match the coming season against Munich will have Jonny fecking Evans running after Koman and Sane at 36 years of age, I would have laughed hard.

Gordon Godot

We really weren't. Given the quality of the squad, the forced changes and the opposition we gave a decent account of ourselves.

What we were was completely toothless - but our overall play was OK.
How low expectations are. Bayern were in second gear. We had one shot on target. You think that's decent then its no surprise what a shambles we are. How do you think the RM fan base would react to a campaign like this?

jem

I didn't watch this game, but it sounds like ETH went for defensive solidity. If that's the case, then I'm kind of hoping he takes the same approach for Liverpool - I think we're fecked either way, but another thrashing would be hard to take.

Smithy89

Disgusting again, 1 shot on target in a game we needed to win.

Bin the lot of them, from Erik to his coaching staff to Bruno to Mctominay. Just dash the lot out of the club.Except new signings, garnacho, and Mainoo. The rest of them can go, every single one of them.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Am I asking for too much? I remember nobody offering support to Antony when he nutmegged his marker and was dribbling on the touchline as another marker came to close him down.

Oh look, the potential support runs away from him.

Gordon Godot

I didn't watch this game, but it sounds like ETH went for defensive solidity. If that's the case, then I'm kind of hoping he takes the same approach for Liverpool - I think we're fecked either way, but another thrashing would be hard to take.
It wasn't very solid. Bayern had several good chances without needing to get out of second gear. It was a calm mastering of us.

Maticmaker

We were not embarrassed on the night, but also we never looked like embarrassing them. Even though it took Bayen 70 minutes to get the break through, we toiled all around the pitch and you got the feeling every player for United was putting in a shift in terms of effort.

Those mentioned in dispatches would be; Maguire (until injured), Shaw (until replaced at HT) Amrabat, all through the game, and in parts Antony and Dalot. The rest worked hard, but overall with Bayen qualified already they had a good 'work-out' against us, and we didn't discredit ourselves, but with one shot on target in 90+ mins we were doomed to exiting the CL this season.

Two growing worries for me were confirmed; that when he's on for 90 mins Garnacho, loses his edge in the game when the opposing fullback understands his limited playing options. Also Hojlund can take a ball cleanly when he is in space, but when the defender is on top of him, his options/body strengths are exposed. Hope ETH doesn't leave these two to struggle and makes some changes in patterns of play, but it is accepted the managers options are limited.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes. I agree with a lot of what you’ve said, too. The transfer business has been awful, and some of that is on ten Hag. I don’t know whether he’s good enough either. After a promising start he has clearly made some serious errors.

If you look back at SAF’s era, much of the squad wasn’t great either. But he always had enough real quality to get us through. That’s what I think the current squad lacks, though it has been partly down to injuries. And partly down to poor judgement on the transfer market.

However, I personally think that with the entire first team back from injury and a bit of astute buying of players, we can make it to that next level. We’re not a whole squad away, which some of the doom merchants on here would have us believe.
Quite agree.

fergieisold

How low expectations are. Bayern were in second gear. We had one shot on target. You think that's decent then its no surprise what a shambles we are. How do you think the RM fan base would react to a campaign like this?
I wasn't talking about the campaign - I was referring to the game in isolation. It wasn't good enough, but you'd think we'd been thrashed...might have to wait until the weekend to see that happen!

TheLord

1-0 against the German champions isn't a bad result. Missed out on the fraud Europa League, which is even better.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We were not embarrassed on the night, but also we never looked like embarrassing them. Even though it took Bayen 70 minutes to get the break through, we toiled all around the pitch and you got the feeling every player for United was putting in a shift in terms of effort.

Those mentioned in dispatches would be; Maguire (until injured), Shaw (until replaced at HT) Amrabat, all through the game, and in parts Antony and Dalot. The rest worked hard, but overall with Bayen qualified already they had a good 'work-out' against us, and we didn't discredit ourselves, but with one shot on target in 90+ mins we were doomed to exiting the CL this season.

Two growing worries for me were confirmed; that when he's on for 90 mins Garnacho, loses his edge in the game when the opposing fullback understands his limited playing options. Also Hojlund can take a ball cleanly when he is in space, but when the defender is on top of him, his options/body strengths are exposed. Hope ETH doesn't leave these two to struggle and makes some changes in patterns of play, but it is accepted the managers options are limited.
Didn't get to the match but watched the highlights and agree with you. There was a reasonable amount of effort. But as I have said before, that should be the minimum expected.
But the level of quality is what is in short supply. And without that, things are always going to be tough.

jem

It wasn't very solid. Bayern had several good chances without needing to get out of second gear. It was a calm mastering of us.
I'm at the point where I'd almost accept Liverpool administering a calm, 1-0 mastering of us. A sad, pathetic state of affairs.

Zed 101

the 15 minutes or so that Mainoo got showed why he should have been starting alongside Amrabat, Mainoo can easily do the box to box role, even in such a short spell he had some amazing moments and played 4 forward passes that I can remember off the top of my head that were instant, progressing, inventive, more so than anything in the previous 70+ minutes

Play Mainoo and Amrabat, drop McT or if really desperate drop Rasmus and play McT as a sole striker, he spends all his time in a 9/10 role anyway

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I read such comments and my blood boils. Yeah, losing is fine as long as its not double digits.
Incredible really the expectations of some fans are unbelievably low.
That was our worst campaign in the CL in our history in a group that we couldn't of picked better to be easier. We were better in the CL with Ole and Rangnick.
Also no Europa for the rest of the year so we can fight for what exactly for the remainder of the season?

USREDEVIL

I think Bayern were really good last night and we simply could not keep up with them. Our midfield had nothing to offer. Defensively we were pretty good, but i think it was Maguire or Dalot who didnt track their runner very well and that cross was found and put in. Rasmus had no service and as a result looked isolated. I don't think we were horrible when we had the ball but it was not often enough.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Aren't the Glazers cheap scapegoats? After all there aren't many clubs that spent more money on players in the last 10 years since Ferguson retired than United.

The Glazers provided enough funds the money was just not spent wisely.
So you can criticize them for not implementing a capable management and structure but not for not investing enough money into the team.
That is exactly it. They have sanctioned the money for transfers, where they have gone wrong is employing people who do not know how to spend the money properly.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We were.

He'd have been taken off if Martial was available, and I think it would have benefitted us with him dropping off. He was trying to do the same thing against their two CB for 90 mins last night without realising it wasn't working. He isn't ready to be our main striker - and that's not his fault.
It's a crime we signed him without signing a senior striker as well. As you say it is not his fault he is not ready. Rashford is too wrapped up in his own game to mentor a youngster and Martial is always between sulks and injuries.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
At least we avoided being humbled by Sevilla in a couple of months time.
They finished 4th in their group as well. We’d probably have lost to the scousers or something instead.

sixdwarf

If you want to see a side trying.to make it happen in the same position as us...see Newcastle. After a disappointing defeat they are going for it against AC Milan.and winning. As it stands in the last 16. But if we did anything close to this against Bayern we would have no complaints.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
What a pathetic game of football.

How have we gone from outplaying Barcelona less than a year ago to not even being an adequate training ground opponent for a half arsed Bayern side?

Our starting line up last night was genuinely mid table obscurity quality. Garnacho and Hojlund are teenagers and very good for their age bur they aren't Rooney and Ronaldo (and even those two at 18/19 were hardly consistent). Outside of that we had nothing quality wise....and then our most in form player had to be replaced by semi retired Jonny Evans.

I thought the Evans signing was a really bad look at the time and I stand by it. Nothing against him but supposedly we were competing with Arsenal, Liverpool, City etc. If those teams needed a CB even juat as back up, they wouldn't sign a 36 year old Evans, in case he ended up in their team

Hughie77

The disastrous preseason needs more attention from Sir Jim or whoever he will appoint to run the football operation.

Last night’s performance was baked into the cake over the summer with the toxic combination of our idiotic transfer decisions as well as the shamblic tour in America.
Agree .. its been awful ..no need to spend £100, million on 2 players that haven't made any difference and you could say worse.. that £100 could have got us a Top striker..

lex talionis

Agree .. its been awful ..no need to spend £100, million on 2 players that haven't made any difference and you could say worse.. that £100 could have got us a Top striker..
The part that I bolded elicited a rebuke from another poster on another thread.

It is undeniably the case that everything that went on this summer set us up for a disastrous season.

Hughie77

The part that I bolded elicited a rebuke from another poster on another thread.

It is undeniably the case that everything that went on this summer set us up for a disastrous season.
You cannot tell the truth on here sometimes..

lex talionis

You cannot tell the truth on here sometimes..
Let's go over what happened this summer:
  • Pre-season tour in America was a disaster. Check.
  • Our summer transfers buys were a disaster. Check.
This competitive season, to date, which consists of our performances in the following competitions, have been disastrous:
  • The League Cup. Out.
  • The Champions League Cup. Out.
  • The Premier League. 6th place and looking shite except for one praiseworthy performance v Chelsea.
What "truth" do you believe in?

Hughie77

Let's go over what happened this summer:
  • Pre-season tour in America was a disaster. Check.
  • Our summer transfers buys were a disaster. Check.
This competitive season, to date, which consists of our performances in the following competitions, have been disastrous:
  • The League Cup. Out.
  • The Champions League Cup. Out.
  • The Premier League. 6th place and looking shite except for one praiseworthy performance v Chelsea.
What "truth" do you believe in?
The above one.. its just some will look for excuses etc for this or that.. but the top 2 bullet points are imo a massive reason why where way behind..

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 172 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bayern Munich win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Man Utd 1:3 Bayern Munich
  • 13% Man Utd 0:3 Bayern Munich