CL L Champions League Group A

Manchester United 0:1 Bayern Munich

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 December 2023

KeanoMagicHat

A loss at home with zero shots on target should never be considered a decent performance, let alone "very good". Standards are as low as they can possibly go.
It’s humiliating really, Bayern just lost 5-1 at the weekend as well it was possible to get at them. It was a bad performance, standards are so low because we didn’t lose 5-0. It was flat and unspirited.

FrantikChicken

No Europa isn't a blessing. Winning Europa literally gets qualification to next season's CL. There's no guarantee a top 4 or 5 spot is guaranteed with the amount of teams fighting for CL spots now. This is a total failure.
We were never winning the EL. We’re getting slapped around by the likes of Bournemouth

Salford_Red83

Its absolutely shocking and some achievement to be fourth in a group with Gala and Copenhagen and at any serious club would have Ten hag sacked by tomorrow morning. We were just not playing the same sports today, the gulf in class and the technical ability of their forwards against our players was soo apparent. The worse part is we could have gotten Kane and Kim and were favorites for both. Both completely dominated us today and showed what we missed out.

The only silver lining is, this may result in sacking of Ten hag which he deserves for spending 400M and coming up with this shit team with Westham and Everton level players and not getting Europa League.
Oh my sweet summer child...

Wing Attack Plan R

Onana cost us this CL campaign as much as anything else. We couldn't overcome our self-sabotage.

We should be challenging in the CL, not just playing a few matches in it and getting our asses handed to us. The totality of our approach seems to be: secure top 4 so we can play in the CL. When we get to the CL, we can't compete with the other clubs. This term we were embarrassed by Copenhagen and Galatasaray, never mind Bayern.

It's not like we haven't been stunned by minnows before (Basel, Midjytlland, et al.) with arguable a better squad, but this time stings because we are in the midst of a multiyear rebuild. Now we have to wonder if the builder knows what he's doing. If it's going to take replacing every average player with a star, like Man City has done, we are not going to be challenging for anything for years and years to come.

Lost bear

Watching the game now on record, I must say I don’t think we’ve played badly. Ultimately I’m pleased to get out of the CL really. No point yet- we’re not good enough.

But I still think there’s a whole lot of potential in this team.

Injuries have killed us this year. Most of the players are NOT total shit. A couple more real quality players needed, for sure, and a bit of luck occasionally. And the Glazers out, or at least Ineos in control of football. No point sacking ETH right now.

Things will improve, but it was always going to take a couple of years. Other managers have made a quicker difference, it’s true, but few have had to deal with this shit show of a club.

arthurka

What is Ralf Rangnick up to these days? International football isn't a job. Being bottom in this group should be more than enough to lose your job. Losing 7-0 to Liverpool should have done that last season.

leeroyTX

By the way i thought Dalot was one of your better players today, I dont understand the hate he is getting here
It's probably because he was and has been terrible. His decision making is terrible. His execution is terrible. His defending is absolutely terrible.

This is a team full of decent players. We have no one who is exceptional at any one (positive) thing. Just a bunch of mediocre players, most of which wouldn't start anywhere else in the top half of the PL. This might be the worst crossing team I've ever seen...and that goes for my Over35 Sunday league here in Texas. At least we can get a ball past the 1st man consistently.

Stig

Out without even putting up a fight, the united way.
This is what had bugged me throughout ETH's reign; our lack of interest in getting players or the ball in the box. When the opportunity is open to swing a ball into the box, we take 3 more touches and go sideways or backwards.

Maybe it's because we are out numbered in the box, then the manger has to demand that players playing certain positions have to get into box.

A must win game and we had one shot on target. Content to play out for a reasonable loss.

I've had enough of this frustration.

Salford_Red83

You really didnt look like you really wanted to score.
We didnt play that good either but defended well (Upamecano and Kim were really good) and one moment of brilliance in attack.

Good luck for the rest of the PL season.
(if you plan to sack Ten Hag take a look at Sebastian Hoeneß from Stuttgart)
Cheers mate, I'll pass on the message :lol:

Seriously though, good luck with the rest of the campaign.

KeanoMagicHat

We were never winning the EL. We’re getting slapped around by the likes of Bournemouth
But we’re not getting the CL in the Premier League either and will be beaten by teams like Bournemouth so might as well have a few cup games.

The only blessing to not being in the Europa League is having to watch fewer United games in this dismal season.

Zed 101

Bayern in 4th gear easily beat us, we didn't even lay a glove on them

Earth Wind and McGuire

No manager could come in and get a song out of that team and I genuinely believe that is the best we could have done tonight.

The quality throughout is exceptionally poor and it hasn’t helped that ETH signings have added to that. We are a mid table team now despite the millions we have spent. Outwith Varane, Mainoo and Garnacho I’d scrap the whole squad and start again.

Varane is proven quality and Mainoo and Garnacho have bags of potential but the rest just are no where near the level we expect at a club like Manchester United.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Reminded me of the Real Sociedad match a bit from last season. We needed to win by multiple goals to finish top of the group and went 0-1 up. Second half, we had zero shots, whether on target, off target or blocked. What is it about being completely unable to lay a glove on the opposition in these must win scenarios?

Robertd0803

What a shitshow.

Im actually relieved we didnt qualify for the Europa League because we only have to deal with one game a week now instead of suffering through two.

AndyMUFC

I mean we looked more solid but it was against a Bayern team that were in second gear all night and we still lost without even looking like scoring.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Joke of a club. Bayern who already won the group wanted it more than United who needed to win.

Wing Attack Plan R

But we’re not getting the CL in the Premier League either and will be beaten by teams like Bournemouth so might as well have a few cup games.

The only blessing to not being in the Europa League is having to watch fewer United games in this dismal season.
What a shitshow.

Im actually relieved we didnt qualify for the Europa League because we only have to deal with one game a week now instead of suffering through two.
This is the first time in a long time it feels like a blessing to not have to watch United play. I am grateful we don't have to face the ignominy of being thumped by some club we've never heard of in the EL. Anyone thinking this group could go far in the Europa League has been watching a different team. It's better to play fewer matches and hopefully get some of these players back to full fitness.

El Zoido

This is the first time in a long time it feels like a blessing to not have to watch United play. I am grateful we don't have to face the ignominy of being thumped by some club we've never heard of in the EL. Anyone thinking this group could go far in the Europa League has been watching a different team. It's better to play fewer matches and hopefully get some of these players back to full fitness.
It’s insanity. People wanting EL as another avenue to the CL next season, or another chance at a trophy. This team can’t even string a coherent attack together, can barely win a game of football. We are unfathomably bad.

croadyman

Just as many of us predicted it was a repeat of 05/06 when we finished bottom too. Deep down the players and Erik knew it was over two weeks ago in Turkey. The last time it happened I was proper gutted but this time felt absolutely nothing

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Surely an improvement over losing 0-1 to BM at home compared to losing 0-3 to bournemouth at homeas well. In ETH we trust.

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular
How in the world United's players looked this uncaring about the outcome of this game for the entirety of the match is beyond me. Bayern has been cruising in second gear for the entire duration of the evening, they looked like they were in a training match, which is understandable given how they were already clean through. But United still had everything to play for here, and yet they looked the same - like they were on a training pitch.

The most spirited pro-United performance on the pitch today was by the pitch itself when it tried to assassinate both Coman and Mazraoui using its trench and close advertising boards behind the goal line. (Seriously, how has this not been addressed as a safety hazard yet?)

But the players? They seemed like they could barely be arsed to even show up today. Especially after the 0:1, with the exception of Dalot's chance after that beautiful pass by Onana almost directly after the goal, they just seemed to mirror the Caf's matchday thread by going "oh well lads, that's it then". No bite, no fight, no frustration with the result either. They just went out on a whimper, letting Bayern use the remaining game time for a relaxed cooldown jog, and not a single United player even seemed bothered by this while ten Hag watched from the sidelines with a stony face, like he had already accepted that there was nothing that could be done to have this team show anything resembling ambition and spirit.

Which is kinda the recurring topic every season, no matter which manager or team composition, isn't it? They just don't look bothered by mediocrity.

Strelok

Tbh I fell asleep in the middle of the match. What a boring feckfest of clumsiness and nothingness. We wouldn't score even if we keep playing for another 1000 minutes I think.

Anyway we looked a bit more solid than usual or probably it's just Bayern were not on their top gear.

Son

Just as many of us predicted it was a repeat of 05/06 when we finished bottom too. Deep down the players and Erik knew it was over two weeks ago in Turkey. The last time it happened I was proper gutted but this time felt absolutely nothing
Big difference when we had dreams of winning the thing back then. It meant something.

The Glazers have robbed our club of even dreaming as of late so it’s difficult to care these days.

Denis79

No Europa isn't a blessing. Winning Europa literally gets qualification to next season's CL. There's no guarantee a top 4 or 5 spot is guaranteed with the amount of teams fighting for CL spots now. This is a total failure.
Doesn't matter, we had no chance of winning the EL. We are not good enough to compete in Europe atm.

Rake

We were OKish for about 60 minutes but the fitness levels dropped significantly afterwards. We were just as hopeless going forward as ever and never really looked like winning the game.

EtH always talks about drills and whatnot but the plan always seems to be to pass the ball to a winger and let him do his "magic". Needless to say, with the wingers we have and the form they are currently in, this can't be a winning strategy. Clear.

The Urban Goose

How many of our 11 would have got in Bayern's starting line up?

Of course we lost, it's hardly a surprise, our squad is utter shit. We needed open heart surgery two years ago, now we need a fecking defibrillator.

We can have all the passing drills we like in training, for as long as we have the quality on display there's absolutely no fecking point.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 172 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bayern Munich win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Man Utd 1:3 Bayern Munich
  • 13% Man Utd 0:3 Bayern Munich