CL L Champions League Group A

Manchester United 0:1 Bayern Munich

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 December 2023

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
No Europa, more time for Erik to do some midweek training. What they do in that training, who knows.
We’ve said that about every manager. We said that about Carrick and McKenna - they both have their teams playing good football.

The players are shit and they don’t give a toss.

Josh 76

We were OKish for about 60 minutes but the fitness levels dropped significantly afterwards. We were just as hopeless going forward as ever and never really looked like winning the game.

EtH always talks about drills and whatnot but the plan always seems to be to pass the ball to a winger and let him do his "magic". Needless to say, with the wingers we have and the form they are currently in, this can't be a winning strategy. Clear.
They were saving themselves for Sunday!

Abizzz

Talking post match with Rio and Scholes, Kane said about moving to Munich that he is moving his family over now and that that could become a problem if he stopped scoring (hence then having to move them back soon).

It feels ages since I've heard that kind of rooted determination to succeed from one of ours.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Bayern dropped a few gears in the 2nd half and any half decent team would have taken advantage.

Yes, we have some injuries, but overall we are currently a very average side

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Watching the game now on record, I must say I don’t think we’ve played badly. Ultimately I’m pleased to get out of the CL really. No point yet- we’re not good enough.

But I still think there’s a whole lot of potential in this team.

Injuries have killed us this year. Most of the players are NOT total shit. A couple more real quality players needed, for sure, and a bit of luck occasionally. And the Glazers out, or at least Ineos in control of football. No point sacking ETH right now.

Things will improve, but it was always going to take a couple of years. Other managers have made a quicker difference, it’s true, but few have had to deal with this shit show of a club.
Nice to read a positive input, especially after getting kicked out of Europe.
And I pretty much agree with some of what you have said.

But the reality is that after 5 different managers and an eye watering amount of money, the vast majority of the squad is at best bang average.
That is the reality.

Ten Hag is quite clearly struggling under the weight of pressure at such a big club.
Whether he is actually good enough to take us to the next level is debatable. But so far, his transfers have added very little to the team.
And the midfield is way off being effective.

Maureen-yo

Only positive: We defended well in 89 minutes of the minutes we played. Slept in one.
Nah, Sane should have scored twice from shit defending, once from a cross where Dalot had, once again, been caught ball watching, and the other he basically walked through the entire midfield and defence but for some bizarre reason decided to try to pass rather than just toe it beyond Onana.

Gordon Godot

But the reality is that after 5 different managers and an eye watering amount of money, the vast majority of the squad is at best bang average.
That is the reality.

Ten Hag is quite clearly struggling under the weight of pressure at such a big club.
Whether he is actually good enough to take us to the next level is debatable. But so far, his transfers have added very little to the team.
'A whole lot of potential'. Are you watching the same game? This is madness. I hope there is potential somewhere but its hard to see it last night. One shot on target. We would love to see Garnacho succeed but his full back monstered him last night. Hojlund got limited service but his lack of involvement is a concern, for a £70m player. We know McT is not good enough. The list continues

Gordon Godot

That is the reality.

Our recruitment is a disaster and has been since Fergie left, indeed he really struggled last few years. We dont use data properly and have no DoF. Arnold and Murtough are out of their depth. I agree ETH has been broken by the pressure, but still wonder what exactly he did at Ajax other than one champions league run. Sadly I dont think he is capable.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Just saw Tuchels statement after the match... acknowledging United's injuries but then stating "they lack this kind of personality and also the quality and maybe also the wits on the bench". Quality is acceptable due to injury I think, but hearing the other two statements is really detrimental.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
That has to be the flattest performance of all time: we played as if we'd go through by avoiding a heavy defeat.

At the end of an evening game I sometimes have trouble getting to sleep because I'm either angry beyond words or elated. Last night? Fell asleep almost immediately because it was if we hadn't even played.

Yes, we were compact and defended better than in recent weeks, but we did exactly nothing going forward - Neuer might as well have stayed in Munich. We are incapable of doing both... Neuer makes everything look so easy, while our clown makes everything look so difficult

No one gets any marks for that game but oh boy did we see the difference between proper recruitment and a bunch of jokers: Kim was as good as any German defender in days gone by (I know he's not actual german). But what was disappointing was making Upamecano look good when he really, really isn't. All in all, I'm not sure bayern got out of first gear

The only positive I can take from the game was that Varane was calm and steady, back to his best and clearly we now can't sell him in January as Maguire is surely going to be out for some time (Shaw too, but maybe not for as long). Antony showed flashes of what he can do, and garnacho's speed almost got him round the back. Other than that, a pile of p!ss

Obviously we lost out on qualification long before last night - not being Galatasaray at home, losing in Copenhagen - and it doesn't really matter because there isn't team in the last 16 that we could beat

Roux

Every United player held on to the ball for too long - that was the difference for me. So many good attacks failed because of this.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Our recruitment is a disaster and has been since Fergie left, indeed he really struggled last few years. We dont use data properly and have no DoF. Arnold and Murtough are out of their depth. I agree ETH has been broken by the pressure, but still wonder what exactly he did at Ajax other than one champions league run. Sadly I dont think he is capable.
Been saying this about Arnold and Murtough since day one... and someone fill me in on what exactly it is that Darren Fletcher does... these are the first three who should be out the door when Ratcliffe finally arrives, followed by every oher member of the board now that Sir Bobby is gone - and, yes, that includes SAF who saddled us with Moyes in the first place and hasn't really done much to rectify that

Nogbadthebad

We could still be playing now and we wouldn;t have scored.

Rasmus should be nowhere near the starting 11, he is simply not ready. Which is why it was idiotic to spend that much on him. Its a weight hanging around his neck, and he may not ever recover from it here.

He was one for the future when we needed a goalscorer now. Another ten hag masterclass.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That has to be the flattest performance of all time: we played as if we'd go through by avoiding a heavy defeat.

At the end of an evening game I sometimes have trouble getting to sleep because I'm either angry beyond words or elated. Last night? Fell asleep almost immediately because it was if we hadn't even played.

Yes, we were compact and defended better than in recent weeks, but we did exactly nothing going forward - Neuer might as well have stayed in Munich. We are incapable of doing both... Neuer makes everything look so easy, while our clown makes everything look so difficult

No one gets any marks for that game but oh boy did we see the difference between proper recruitment and a bunch of jokers: Kim was as good as any German defender in days gone by (I know he's not actual german). But what was disappointing was making Upamecano look good when he really, really isn't. All in all, I'm not sure bayern got out of first gear

The only positive I can take from the game was that Varane was calm and steady, back to his best and clearly we now can't sell him in January as Maguire is surely going to be out for some time (Shaw too, but maybe not for as long). Antony showed flashes of what he can do, and garnacho's speed almost got him round the back. Other than that, a pile of p!ss

Obviously we lost out on qualification long before last night - not being Galatasaray at home, losing in Copenhagen - and it doesn't really matter because there isn't team in the last 16 that we could beat
What's really telling is that you single out two Bayern players (Neuer and Kim) who are not performing on the expected level. Neuer simply isn't back to his best after long injury (and maybe never will considering his age) and Kim is a decent player but has failed to impress so far. Considering his price tag people expected more. You are right about Upamecano, he is prone to errors and lots of teams are able to force him to make some.

Overall you played against a Bayern team that is insecure itself and doesn't feel to have a much higher gear than they showed yesterday at the moment. It's enough to see off mediocre teams like United, but they really need to get back to a higher level to stop the criticism of the team. Yesterday was just enough to stop the media frenzy after Frankfurt, but not enough to turn the mood around completely.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What's really telling is that you single out two Bayern players (Neuer and Kim) who are not performing on the expected level. Neuer simply isn't back to his best after long injury (and maybe never will considering his age) and Kim is a decent player but has failed to impress so far. Considering his price tag people expected more. You are right about Upamecano, he is prone to errors and lots of teams are able to force him to make some.

Overall you played against a Bayern team that is insecure itself and doesn't feel to have a much higher gear than they showed yesterday at the moment. It's enough to see off mediocre teams like United, but they really need to get back to a higher level to stop the criticism of the team. Yesterday was just enough to stop the media frenzy after Frankfurt, but not enough to turn the mood around completely.
I'd be hugely surprised if they didn't reach at least the semis... probably only City and Real are better than them at the moment. I think they can take Arsenal over two legs

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'd be hugely surprised if they didn't reach at least the semis... probably only City and Real are better than them at the moment. I think they can take Arsenal over two legs
If nothing goes wrong for them and they pick up form you might be right. But their squad is really thin and that could come back to haunt them (I repeat, they didn't have a single CB on the bench yesterday due to a messed up transfer deadline day and injuries)

RoyH1

We could still be playing now and we wouldn;t have scored.

Rasmus should be nowhere near the starting 11, he is simply not ready. Which is why it was idiotic to spend that much on him. Its a weight hanging around his neck, and he may not ever recover from it here.

He was one for the future when we needed a goalscorer now. Another ten hag masterclass.
He has simply too much responsibility at his age and coming from a mid table club in Italy. Our recruiting and scouting is really lacking.

Lyng

Bayern where pretty shite apart from their two centerbacks. We still lost. We created absolutely nothing.

GregM40

I don’t get why we reverted to playing out from the back on 80’ when Varane came off and he moved Amrabat into defence. We could have played that all second half instead of constantly losing the ball after Onana punts it long. Does he really not trust Varane to be able to pass it out at all?

A blessing to not be playing in Europe next year as depressing as that sounds, we need time on the training ground and less injuries if there’s any hope of moving into top 4.

freddie the red

The mighty have fallen!

Apparently, according to some, Bayern aren't all that this season. If that's the case we are even further behind than any of us thought.

They were so superior in every single department last night it was almost embarrassing. Individual technical quality, physicality, patterns of play, the whole lot.

Gonna take more than the usual change of manager to properly address this sh1t show......could take years :houllier:

Oranges038

The mighty have fallen!

Apparently, according to some, Bayern aren't all that this season. If that's the case we are even further behind than any of us thought.

They were so superior in every single department last night it was almost embarrassing. Individual technical quality, physicality, patterns of play, the whole lot.

Gonna take more than the usual change of manager to properly address this sh1t show......could take years :houllier:
That was my take away from it. This Utd squad is seriously lacking in physicality, pace and technical ability. The difference in the and quality with which they move the ball around is huge.

Then you have players like McT who can't even control a ball from a throw in properly or Dalot who runs around with his head down and kicks it out for a throw. If these were one off incidents it would be tolerable. But it's not, ball is moved too slow, too many touches, players are too slow. They really don't have the speed of though and movement to compete at the highest level.

Utd are years away from being a serious challenger for top trophies.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
'A whole lot of potential'. Are you watching the same game? This is madness. I hope there is potential somewhere but its hard to see it last night. One shot on target. We would love to see Garnacho succeed but his full back monstered him last night. Hojlund got limited service but his lack of involvement is a concern, for a £70m player. We know McT is not good enough. The list continues
Where did I say there was a whole lot of potential?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Absolutely right.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
We went out a fortnight ago when we failed to beat Galatasary.
As late as about an hour into the game in Istanbul we still had a great chance to progress.
Actually this isn't true. Even if you had beaten Galatasaray in Istanbul (or at home) Kopenhagen still would have had more points (8) and went through.

Rasmus is comparable to someone like Tel but a few years older.
With the significant difference that Tel didn't cost 70 million.

I was pretty surprised to hear ETH being happy with performance. Yes United has many injuries and lacking quality. However, this isn't an excuse for not even trying to win and showing some determination, fighting spirit and mentality.
Bayern was indeed playing in 2nd gear and waiting for an aggressive United team trying to force a goal. It just didn't ever happened.

patch1

Need to cut right down to the roots and start from scratch.The club from owners to most of the players and manager need removing.Better to suffer a few years of rebuilding from scratch than watch this utter shambles.

freddie the red

I was pretty surprised to hear ETH being happy with performance.
I heard that interview and I think it was his version of not wanting to publicly throw the whole team under the bus.

He must surely have been seething inside, if not then maybe being Utd manager is a step too far for him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
On the plus side, we don't have to witness United being humiliated twice a week anymore

RedDevilRoshi

Im sorry but this is a stupid Comment. No money, fewer games ( think squad managment).
What will that money be put towards exactly and do you think judging by our past it will be spent wisely? It’s the sort of thing the Glazers would be concerned about as expecting less of a dividend payment now than what they were projecting before our CL campaign began. Won’t exactly change a thing what money we would have brought in and do you genuinely think this team would win the Europa League?

I’d rather have a quiet chilled Thursday night rather than watching us getting embarrassingly papped out by some random Romanian village team that no one has ever heard of.

Last edited:

Green55

We have no ball winners. No one who is gonna stick a boot in or make a hard tackle. Not in a dirty way but aggressively. They’re all soft.
I completely agree. We're far too passive and seem content with jockeying opponents rather than putting a foot in.
Contrast that with the way Upamecano and Davies dealt with Garnacho and Antony last night - they were putting their shoulders in all night long so that we could never settle. Even Rasmus was constantly bullied off the ball and he normally fares better than most with the physicality. Other than Maguire we've hardly any physicality whatsoever and even he looks like he'll be pulled up more often than not for pushing /his elbows being high. There's an art to getting stuck in and winning the ball fairly and we suck at it.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Aren't the Glazers cheap scapegoats? After all there aren't many clubs that spent more money on players in the last 10 years since Ferguson retired than United.

The Glazers provided enough funds the money was just not spent wisely.
So you can criticize them for not implementing a capable management and structure but not for not investing enough money into the team.

wolvored

At least the team worked hard. But we don't have the quality. Not on the field, not on the touchline. You see every Bayern player being able to dribble, pass with their weak foot, pass at acute angles, easily shrug our players off the ball and you realize just how limited our players are. You also see their attacking intent. Every player almost in unison move when they have the ball. They move and the opponent moves with them to create space. Whereas, unless we have acres of space to pass to, we have no runners. No pattern of attack. We don't attack as a team, we attack with 3 players at the most. So you see how limited our coaching is. Just sub par all around.
well said. Also a lot of the time when we attacked we had none or one player in the box. Munich had 3 or 4. Its obvious RR was right when he said open heart surgery is needed. Big names need to go like Rashford and Bruno as they are way too inconsistent. McTom Antony Dalot WB Lindelof Martial etc etc etc. Garnacho needs to be coached not to be so greedy and pass 50% of the time instead as a last resort.
The tactics are poor, the coaching is poor, this is on TH and his coaching staff.
Munich are run the way we should be run. Every player comfortable on the ball, playing collectively as a team, instead of 11 individuals, that occasionally have a 'moment'. Kane has adapted and looks like he played there for the last 3 years. Thats good coaching and tactics.

wolvored

Aren't the Glazers cheap scapegoats? After all there aren't many clubs that spent more money on players in the last 10 years since Ferguson retired than United.

The Glazers provided enough funds the money was just not spent wisely.
So you can criticize them for not implementing a capable management and structure but not for not investing enough money into the team.
100%. The fact they left it to a banker, who got noodle companies to sponsor, but hadnt a clue on running the football side to run it, has whats left us to be bankrupt for FFP purposes. They could have been sitting on a top club and not needed bailing out if they had spent wisely 10 years ago on the football side upper levels.

IRN-BRUno

Strange game really. Just felt from the start that both crowd and players were resigned to a flat performance, there wasn't even any real urgency after conceding. If Bayern wanted to I think they'd probably have scored a few more but they seemed happy enough to just take it easy. That's the luxury of securing qualification early I guess.

Hughie77

Bad pre season bad start to season, bad transfer bad injuries and piss poor, play from the ones we got, inconsistent to say the least.. £100 million wasted on A keeper and CM .. who have been ... I haven't got any words to say ran out of them .... just look out next season as this ones done.. 7th in league at best.. if they scrape 5th it will be a disaster Glazers rub hands again. 5th could get CL ...

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 172 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bayern Munich win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Man Utd 1:3 Bayern Munich
  • 13% Man Utd 0:3 Bayern Munich