CL W Champions League Group A

Manchester United 2:0 Benfica

Post-match discussion

Tue, 31 October 2017

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Meh, we won and that is all that was needed. We can save the pretty football and attacking stuff for Chelsea.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Wasn't exactly his most showbiz performance (if he actually 'does' showbiz) but Matic is such a good player. Consistent 7/8 out of 10 this season. Makes a difficult role look totally effortless. Class fecking act.

Paul_Scholes18

couldn't give a donkeys how bad it may have looked. we are into the knockout stages!! get in
Not yet though, but well right now it feels like we have won the group. Basel could potentially challenge our goaldifference though.

Jacko21

Barcelona - Draw
Chelsea - Loss
Manchester United - Win

Some United fans - unhappy. Go figure.
And results elsewhere have what bearing exactly? That Europe is tough?

The result was good, the performance left a lot to be desired - anyone who says otherwise is either lying to themselves or has very low standards.

Paul_Scholes18

We won't lose. We have Mourinho. He is not going to lose. Draw maybe. Lose! No ways.
Well we did talk hypothetical right. I don't feel any nerves about it. Think we will go through no doubt, but so far it is not done yet. I think we will probably play for 1 point against Basel and get it.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
We won, we move on..
Im grateful we win these games comfortably now after the last few seasons.

Dobbs

Meh, we won and that is all that was needed. We can save the pretty football and attacking stuff for Chelsea.
I'd like to think we can switch it on and off like that.

Not sure in reality this team is able to switch through the gears lime that. More likely is these stodgy performances will stick and at some point we get caught out.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'd like to think we can switch it on and off like that.

Not sure in reality this team is able to switch through the gears lime that. More likely is these stodgy performances will stick and at some point we get caught out.
While this was definitely the case for LvG, you feel with Mou's teams there's a lot more resilience in the team and they can keep doing this for much longer but you are right that we may struggle to overturn bad starts like against Huddersfield.

We definitely lack depth in the attack as well as quality because our main #10 cannot pass the ball atm (he was OK today, to be fair but it was only Benfica).

alsabi

Is it not goaldifference though? Also a big defeat against CSKA can feck us anyway.
It's head-to-head goal difference, then H2H goals scored and away goals, so losing 4-1 in Basel would have us level on the first two but ahead on the third, meaning we'd finish ahead of Basel regardless of the CSKA result. As for CSKA, we can afford to lose 3-0 to them at home and still be guaranteed to finish ahead of them on the head-to-head. So a 4-1 defeat followed by a 3-0 defeat and we'd still win the group.

Dobbs

While this was definitely the case for LvG, you feel with Mou's teams there's a lot more resilience in the team and they can keep doing this for much longer but you are right that we may struggle to overturn bad starts like against Huddersfield.

We definitely lack depth in the attack as well as quality because our main #10 cannot pass the ball atm (he was OK today, to be fair but it was only Benfica).
Agree and to be fair we're doing that right now. A month or so of poor performances and only one bad result. Impressive in its own way.

It's not just us I doubt can switch performances on or off. Very few teams across the world have that ability. Teams generally need momentum, a set way of playing etc.

I'd be surprised if after a game like that we suddenly play brilliantly against Chelsea.

Camilo

Hope we get to stop saying "job done" soon enough. There's only so many "job done" performances I can watch. Still, job done.

hn4manunited

Good win and solid professional performance from the team. Not sure what else some of our fans on these threads want.

carlosp

And results elsewhere have what bearing exactly? That Europe is tough?

The result was good, the performance left a lot to be desired - anyone who says otherwise is either lying to themselves or has very low standards.
The results wasn't the point, it was there to show that we won while other top teams didn't yet some fans are still not happy. Unbelievable. We won and we are on top.

Baby Groot

So our Europa League hopes hangs on us failing to get 1 point form last 2 matches. :eek::nervous::lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good win and solid professional performance from the team. Not sure what else some of our fans on these threads want.
No one is complaining about the win. We would however like to see some traces of the cut throat attack we displayed during the first few league fixtures this year.

Foxbatt

Good man Berba. What a player. I like the fact that he said pointing to Scholes and saying We want to win everything. He is the kind of player we miss.

Rojofiam

So, if the groups ended right now, we could get one of Bayern Munich, Juventus, Leipzig and Shakhtar in the Round of 16. Although, Liverpool may top their group and Napoli should go through instead of Shakhtar as well.

alsabi

So our Europa League hopes hangs on us failing to get 1 point form last 2 matches. :eek::nervous::lol:
It's not that simple, to finish third we'd actually have to get thrashed twice! 3-0 and 4-0/5-2 at an absolute minimum

wolvored

A win but the football once again was mainly dire. Martials aside for his dribbles De Gea for his saves, and to a lesser extent De Lukaku and Rashford, everyone else seemed like the ball was a hot potato. The defence looked like it was their first time together at times.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Agree and to be fair we're doing that right now. A month or so of poor performances and only one bad result. Impressive in its own way.

It's not just us I doubt can switch performances on or off. Very few teams across the world have that ability. Teams generally need momentum, a set way of playing etc.

I'd be surprised if after a game like that we suddenly play brilliantly against Chelsea.
Well not many people predicted we’d beat Spurs after losing to Huddersfield, so...

el3mel

So, if the groups ended right now, we could get one of Bayern Munich, Juventus, Leipzig and Shakhtar in the Round of 16. Although, Liverpool may top their group and Napoli should go through instead of Shakhtar as well.
Have a strong feeling we'll get Bayern.

Dobbs

Well not many people predicted we’d beat Spurs after losing to Huddersfield, so...
We didn't suddenly switch from a poor performance to a brilliant one though. Which after all is the point I made.

If I'd said we can't go from a loss to a victory your argument might have been relevant.

el3mel

That would be a huge, but not impossible test for us.
They're strong team but definitely not the Bayern of some years ago as they declined a bit. It can be a proper test for us at this stage. Will take them above Juve of course.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We didn' suddenly switch from a poor performance to a brilliant one though. Which after all is the point I made.
I thought we were very good against Spurs, despite the histrionics from many of our fans. I also thought we were better tonight than we were against Huddersfield. So we’re clearly capable of upping our performance level for a big game, following a lacklustre game against weaker opponents.

Admittedly, “brilliant” performances from us at Stamford Bridge are as rare as hen’s teeth (Could you remember the last one? I’m guessing pre-Abramovic?) so you wouldn’t be taking a huge gamble to say we won’t see one this weekend. I’m just hoping for a performance that’s “good enough”.

dbryan

Well if we end up winning the PL or the ECL who's going to complain about how we did it?

Mate it would not surprise me on bit if people did moan, it's not the United way after all...that's what they will say!

I am happy.

Top of the group, last 16 of the Champions League. 11 out 15 cleans sheets (pretty sure Championships etc are built on a solid defense)

Bring on Chelsea, I trust in Jose. Park the bus and get the result, or go for it. I couldn't care less. I trust our manager and am glad to have him here. Proven winner.

Dante

Average bang
The head to head for United, Basel and CSKA:

Code:
          F    A      GD        Points
United    7    1      +6           12
Basel     3    5      -2            6
CSKA      3    7      -4            6
United still have to play both Basel and CSKA. We'd need to lose both by a combined total swing of a minimum 6 goals (depending on who we concede most against) in order not to qualify.

0-1 against Basel and 0-5 against CSKA would do it. So would 0-10 against Basel and 0-1 against CSKA.

Basically:

2x(number of goals we lose by to CSKA) + (number of goals we lose by to Basel) needs to equal at least 11.

Long story short, not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Will Absolute

And I thought we had touched the lowest depths of boredom under LVG. As I found today, there was still another level ....
We've a ways to go yet. Spontaneous zombiefication is our ultimate aim. Our new ethical partners WorldPopulationControl are targeting a complete loss of life function in all those at OT, and in 50% of people watching on TV. I believe they're happy with our progress so far.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 461 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Benfica win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 45% Man Utd 2:0 Benfica
  • 29% Man Utd 3:0 Benfica