PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Bournemouth

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 December 2023

The last ten years has been down to the same thing, the midfield is the most important area of the pitch and its our weakest part of the team. Until we address it nothing will change. We will get overrun by pressure and our defence will be exposed.

We had a declining but still good Casemiro on his own there and it transformed us last season. Now we are back to square one with hopeless players. Even though he's not a 100m player Rice would have made a huge difference.

fps

System is wrong for the PL, but I don’t understand how these players can perform in such totally variable ways game to game. Every game is from a standing start, there is never form, there is never momentum.

redshaw

Worst thing with all the play and bodies up front I can't recall a decent shot or feeling we would score and said Bournemouth looked good for another.

We're on course for 40 odd goals. This high turnover play doesn't generate goals, we're worse than before and don't see any potential. There was nothing today, we'd have more chance of the wind blowing it in for us. Currently 40-50mph winds in Manchester.

It doesn't surprise me our attackers are pretty much zero and McTom is our highest scorer, he's picking up some pieces from chaotic lopsided play.

We like an like an under 21 side out there.

In the CL our frantic play has generated goals but also conceded a ton. We look more our level in attack against Gala, Copenhagen.

If we had a midfield structure I feel we could open up teams from deeper passes and use our pace of Hojlund and Rashford.

Our whole attack is dead, the stats are there to be seen

Offsideagain

ETH has broken many records, most of them with teams that have either never won at OT or not won for decades. Sacking him would be like getting another Prime Minister, a waste of time. Sir Jim is our only hope of salvation, but that will take at least two transfer. windows. As for today, I refrain from comment as this is a public forum and I don't want to get banned.

Partridge

Worst thing with all the play and bodies up front I can't recall a decent shot or feeling we would score and said Bournemouth looked good for another.

We're on course for 40 odd goals. This high turnover play doesn't generate goals, we're worse than before and don't see any potential. There was nothing today, we'd have more chance of the wind blowing it in for us. Currently 40-50mph winds in Manchester.

It doesn't surprise me our attackers are pretty much zero and McTom is our highest scorer, he's picking up some pieces from chaotic lopsided play.

We like an like an under 21 side out there.

In the CL our frantic play has generated goals but also conceded a ton. We look more our level in attack against Gala, Copenhagen.

If we had a midfield structure I feel we could open up teams from deeper passes and use our pace of Hojlund and Rashford.

Our whole attack is dead, the stats are there to be seen
60 mph down here in LH :lol: I can barely put the words together for today's game, so I won't.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If McKenna or Carrick is willing to come in, i’d sack EtH in a second.

Oranges038

Most of their chances came from shite touches and shite passes. To be fair they pressed well and forced errors, but these players have to do better against a press. They just aren't good enough on the ball to move it quick enough to avoid losing the ball cheaply.

1st goal. Shite ball clipped into a stupid area from left back, when a better pass was on down the line.

2nd goal. Shite ball clipped into the center to nobody from when a better pass was on.

3rd goal. Shite marking from a corner.

All these goals are avoidable.

Same old problems going forward, struggling against a team with a well drilled structure. The passing is too slow, players are too far apart, not enough movement, sloppy touches and passing. Even in trying to recycle the ball there were too many passes where the pressing player was getting to the receiver at the same time as the ball. The ball needs to be moved quicker.

I also think that Dalot shot at 1-0 was a killer, if he had the brains to square that ball for a tap in, it could change the flow of the game. But they go up the other end and it's 2-0. The guys a moron.

ti vu

Solanke is having a great season, not this game. IMO is pretty much on same level of Watkin which is very good. Pretty much tick all the box Hojlund does but at more maturity level and more importantly PL experienced. With hindsight, a competent recruitment department should have gotten him last summer (cheaper than Hojlund) as starter with some money to spare to invest in a back up CF or pool the fund toward other important positions.

Stig

I don't care who you're up against, playing two no.10s in the Premier League is so fecking naïve. We got away with it against Chelsea but clearly that result meant nothing.

If we're gonna persist with playing McTominay further forward, then he either needs to play up front or we need to drop Bruno. It's just not sustainable at all. God knows how Ten Hag thinks it is. Surely he can't think this is how we progress as a team?

Ten Hag was brought in because of his success and style of play at Ajax. But if he's not even going to attempt to implement that style of play here then I don't see the point of him staying. We could've just gone back to Moyes if we wanted to hoof it up to McTominay and hope for the best.
To quote from the man himself 3 days ago.

want to play like this - proactive, dynamic, brave.

Clearly us ignoramuses on the Cafe don't understand this deeper level of football thinking.

Superunknown

Worst shot conversion rate in the Premier League, according to Match of the Day. Disgraceful.

Giggs' right foot

System is wrong for the PL, but I don’t understand how these players can perform in such totally variable ways game to game. Every game is from a standing start, there is never form, there is never momentum.
You are flattering the club here. We're by no standards performing variably. Variably suggests we're decent one game, crap the next, excellent the third, mediocre the fourth....

That's not our situation. On the contrary, EVERY one of our league games bar the Chelsea and maybe Everton one, has been consistently below standard. Consistently showing fear, playing safe, struggling to finish off games we're leading, coming slowly into the game, returning from half time even more lethargic as if ETH just injected valium into their veins etc.

I wish we were performing in variable ways....

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This was probably the bottom since Fergie left. We have been comprehensively beaten by many quality sides, and we have lost to many of the smaller clubs, and we have also had our share of disappointing Old Trafford defeats but this is the first time I think that it all happened at once - we were totally outclassed at home by freaking Bournemouth. It’s not even like the game was close but they managed to pull off three goals through luck, they should have been 3-0 up at half time and could have easily got 6-7.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
The last ten years has been down to the same thing, the midfield is the most important area of the pitch and its our weakest part of the team. Until we address it nothing will change. We will get overrun by pressure and our defence will be exposed.

We had a declining but still good Casemiro on his own there and it transformed us last season. Now we are back to square one with hopeless players. Even though he's not a 100m player Rice would have made a huge difference.
i think ETH needs Prime Keano to survive. McT is basically a second striker and Bruno is a #10. Goodluck to whoever plays at #6

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Both of them wont have balls to do whats needed and will fail at the end.
I don't know about McKenna, but Carrick has been around here as player and coach for decades. The board and players will surely on his side.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Erik is a stubborn silly person. This isn't the first time and last time that a team has sit back and counter attack us thru' the left and right wings. As fans, we have seen it over and over again, and yet our messiah thinks otherwise. Is he stupid or what? When you keep doing the same things, you get the same results. You know McTominay is a limited player! You know that Bruno is going to give the ball away! You know Antony offers nothing! You know Martial is finished as a player! You know Dalot is shit in crossing! You know players are shooting when there is player in better position! Erik is done for me. First he is picking the wrong players, 2nd the players are not playing for him. Everyone is trying to score so hoping that some clubs will offer a way out of United. Let's start selling Dalot, McTominay, Maguire, Bruno, Rashford, Martial, VBD, Lindeloft, Casemiro Sancho, Antony, Varane and all. Let's have a open heart surgery like Chelsea. There is simply nothing to play for this season with this manager or these players.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
My first game in a decade.

That's the first time in about 50 games watching them at OT and away that I've ever seen them lose.

My god.

oz insomniac

Just watched the extended highlights
Picking Martial is actually playing with 10 men, seriously he should never be in the team again, ever.

There is no midfield structure in the game at all, playing without a dedicated and good defensive midfield player is suicide in the EPL, opposition just strategically bypass our weak midfield and attack quickly which leaves the central defenders exposed time and again. ETH just doesn’t understand the needs of the EPL, and shoehorning McTominlay into a hybrid 10 works what 1 game in 10.

Not sure Onana was to blame in this game, the defence was picked apart with simple tactics exposing the lack of midfield strength, goodness knows what the score would have been without Maguire.

First step, stop playing Martial and McTominlay and try to reinvigorate Rashford, then find a genuine EPL level defensive midfielder and hire a manager who is tactically aware of the needs in such a physical, quick league., otherwise, good night nurse.!

Last edited:

TrueRed79

A dysfunctional club and a dysfunctional team. Who can honestly be surprised at what's happening this season, after what we have watched over the last ten years? I'm genuinely grateful I lived during Ferguson's time here. Good times will always mean more than the bad times.

R'hllor

I don't know about McKenna, but Carrick has been around here as player and coach for decades. The board and players will surely on his side.
Oh thats where everything starts, thats why we are in this never ending circle. They will be on his side maybe for X months and then we will be in this shit hole again. What we need both of them wont do it.

lex talionis

Incredibly, there were several posters who claimed during the match that we were actually playing quite well. However, it's pretty safe to say that at no point during the game did we have the boot on the necks of Bournemouth, a club whose squad and management had a jolly old time laughing all the way back to the south coast after dismembering us limb by limb at what a joke United have become.

croadyman

It's rope-a-dope. EtH is lulling Liverpool into complacency so we can smash them. KLOpp will be tempted to rotate players, as we offer no threat, and then EtH springs his surprise !
These players in that Anfield cauldron is the stuff of nightmares. They will be in our faces from that first whistle without a doubt

Winrar

It's rope-a-dope. EtH is lulling Liverpool into complacency so we can smash them. KLOpp will be tempted to rotate players, as we offer no threat, and then EtH springs his surprise !
Appearing poor all game keeping it 0-0 with a 10-0-0 formation then surprise! Maguire header at extra time, he's cupping his ears in front of the triggered crowd at Anfield!

...then I woke up.

Last edited:

ti vu

Oh thats where everything starts, thats why we are in this never ending circle. They will be on his side maybe for X months and then we will be in this shit hole again. What we need both of them wont do it.
That's why we need a check balance in higher management role. Many if not majority of managers would grow attached to players after honeymoon phase; DoF is the one who would look at things more objectively to offer a different alternative such as selling high value but replaceable player AND use the fund wisely to reinvest in the squad.

As per McKenna, Carrick talking point, it may not be a long term appointment. Just punt appointment like Chelsea did with Lampard in the season where they endured transfer ban. If Tottenham could have signed Conte on one and half season contract, with option for another season; it's not impossible for a competent board to strike those kind of deals while keeping our option open to go in for an potential elite manager become available.

Nobody would turn down a supposed long term good appointment, but if that option is not available, we can't just appoint the highest profile available manager, who maybe demanding and expensive that made it difficult to ditch during the conflict of interest.

Strelok

By losing against their B team :lol:

Joking aside I don't think we're that bad yesterday. We lost 3-0 but imo Bournemouth forwards simply decided to have an extremely clinical day.

What actually worry me is our inability to score. We looked like even if we keep playing for another 1000' we still wouldn't manage to score a single goal. We had the majority of possession but managed to do feck all with it as usual. McT being our best goal scorer this season is just both depressing and alarming.

We need Hojlund to magically start scoring else please buy/loan a good CF next Jan. Martial simply should not start for us ever again. We also need Antony to become a bigger goal threat. He's good at keeping the ball and tracking back but his GA is just terrible.

ti vu

By losing against their B team :lol:

Joking aside I don't think we're that bad yesterday. We lost 3-0 but imo Bournemouth forwards simply decided to have an extremely clinical day.

What actually worry me is our inability to score. We looked like even if we keep playing for another 1000' we still wouldn't manage to score a single goal. We had the majority of possession but managed to do feck all with it as usual. McT being our best goal scorer this season is just both depressing and alarming.

We need Hojlund to magically start scoring else please buy/loan a good CF next Jan. Martial simply should not start for us ever again. We also need Antony to become a bigger goal threat. He's good at keeping the ball and tracking back but his GA is just terrible.
I wouldn't call Bournemouth to be extremely clinical. They created clear chances and converted enough of them.

Their disallowed goal due to Solanke being offside can be said to be well drilled tactic, where their tall attackers pulled away from Maguire and occupied zone where they only need to stay onside for they're favorite to beat their markers due to physical mismatch.

Or their chance in 27th minute from a corner, where a free header nearly ended as a goal, was similar to their third goal.

Solanke hitting the post was not counted toward shot on target was also a big chance. Maguire can't be expected to follow Solanke everywhere especially when Solanke purposely kept a distance from Maguire by moving into half space and other players defensive zone. This movement/tactic worked all game, in other situation too.

Just because their recorded shot on goal was 4 and scoreline 3-0, it didn't really tell the whole story about other big chances/well worked attacking pattern that got chalked off the record due to offside, handball, slightly off target...

We're soundly beaten. Same issue all season by leaving ourselves wide open in midfield and poor defensive organization. Just because Everton, Sheffield United, even Chelsea... were wasteful with finishing; doesn't mean Bournemouth can be considered "extremely" clinical.

Strelok

I wouldn't call Bournemouth to be extremely clinical. They created clear chances and converted enough of them.

Their disallowed goal due to Solanke being offside can be said to be well drilled tactic, where their tall attackers pulled away from Maguire and occupied zone where they only need to stay onside for they're favorite to beat their markers due to physical mismatch.

Or their chance in 27th minute from a corner, where a free header nearly ended as a goal, was similar to their third goal.

Solanke hitting the post was not counted toward shot on target was also a big chance. Maguire can't be expected to follow Solanke everywhere especially when Solanke purposely kept a distance from Maguire by moving into half space and other players defensive zone. This movement/tactic worked all game, in other situation too.

Just because their recorded shot on goal was 4 and scoreline 3-0, it didn't really tell the whole story about other big chances/well worked attacking pattern that got chalked off the record due to offside, handball, slightly off target...

We're soundly beaten. Same issue all season by leaving ourselves wide open in midfield and poor defensive organization. Just because Everton, Sheffield United, even Chelsea... were wasteful with finishing; doesn't mean Bournemouth can be considered "extremely" clinical.
If you watch the other PL games you'd see the strikers from the lesser teams are generally quite wasteful. Even with big/huge/clear chances. And that's also true with other leagues.

For example if Everton or Newcastle players were only a bit clinical they would have won by three in the first half. It's actually quite rare to see those average strikers converting all their big/clear chances into goals or even good finishes. That's why I said Bournemouth strikers had an extremely clinical day.

ti vu

If you watch the other PL games you'd see the strikers from the lesser teams are generally quite wasteful. Even with big/huge/clear chances. And that's also true with other leagues.

For example if Everton or Newcastle players were only a bit clinical they would have won by three in the first half. It's actually quite rare to see those average strikers converting all their big/clear chances into goals or even good finishes. That's why I said Bournemouth strikers had an extremely clinical day.
I disagreed with "extremely" remark. Extremely clinical IMO implies one shot one goal, and even implies difficult scoring opportunity. Something like Crystal Palace goal and that defeat. Not when they created enough big chances and many opening, but decided to choose safe passes to recycle possession instead taking a pop at our goals.

Bournemouth was not wasteful, but at the same not extremely clinical. They played well enough that they could pick and chose to mostly go with the clear shooting/attacking pattern instead of shooting from difficult angle.

Strelok

I disagreed with "extremely" remark. Extremely clinical IMO implies one shot one goal, and even implies difficult scoring opportunity. Something like Crystal Palace goal and that defeat. Not when they created enough big chances and many opening, but decided to choose safe passes to recycle possession instead taking a pop at our goals.

Bournemouth was not wasteful, but at the same not extremely clinical. They played well enough that they could pick and chose to mostly go with the clear shooting/attacking pattern instead of shooting from difficult angle.
Ok let's use the word 'unusually clinical' then. Happy?

ti vu

Ok let's use the word 'unusually clinical' then. Happy?
So at that level of clinical from opposition. We conceded that amount of clear chances, and other openings; even with a decent functioning attack with 2 goal per game rate, we would have still lost these type of game.

The system is clearly an issue. We have no control and no ability to actually defend (preventing shot inside our box, closing shot angle, blocking shot...) . We have been relying on opposition poor finish rather than true defensive solidity. Which means it would have been bad against other clinical teams, let alone extreme clinical team.

So disagree on your point about we're not that bad yesterday. Fixing our attack (difficult task) alone at best can mask us some games, but unsustainable in the long run in unforgiving league like PL at the moment.

Edit: I used 2 goal per game rate as benchmark (38 matches would be 76 goals), because 76 goal per season is a decent scoring rate. In some of recent seasons, 76 goals could have landed that team as the second, or third highest scoring in the league. 70+ goals on top of a decent defensive record likely gives you top 4 finish.

Last edited:

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
These players in that Anfield cauldron is the stuff of nightmares. They will be in our faces from that first whistle without a doubt
That's the problem. You can install any manager you want, play any tactics you want, and these players are guranteed to turn up at the likes of Anfield, St James, Etihad etc and completely s*it the bed.

Player Ratings

3.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 214 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Bournemouth
  • 19% Man Utd 2:1 Bournemouth